• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoGiff

If I recall, the Night's King Lord Commander exists in the show timeline, too. I think he's been mentioned several times in the appendices on the DVD's.

So the Night King and the Night's King are most likely two different entities altogether.

Or they hadn't thought the whole thing through at the time they made that Histories and Lore segment.

Forkball

The White Walkers are obviously intelligent, so is there overall goal just to kill everyone? And then what? I hope they're more depth to them outside of ice terminators. Where do they get their armor from for one. Why do they even wear armor?

Also in the history and lore special features in Season 2, they do discuss the story of the Night's King that is pretty much lifted from the book. Though it's presented as a legend, perhaps the truth is far different.

There is only one man who can save us.

tumblr_o7ngjwEHKx1rejh21o1_500.png

Chuckie

If I recall, the Night's King Lord Commander exists in the show timeline, too. I think he's been mentioned several times in the appendices on the DVD's.

So the Night King and the Night's King are most likely two different entities altogether. Or the legends are muddled, it's been thousands of year. We don't even know if the Night's King truly existed, even in the book timeline.

I sincerely doubt this. There is only one Night's King in the book. He was the 13th commander and fell in love with a queen of the north. He ruled the Night fort with her and got beaten by the King of Winter and the King Beyond the wall.

The Night's King was known for sacrificing to the Others (so they were already there)

I think (but not sure yet) that they adapted parts of that for the TV show. Maybe the CotF caught the commander of the Night Watch and turned him into the first WW, or maybe they captured Bran the Builder and turned him into the first WW, or maybe we will never know. I think they created an own 'end-boss' for the tv-show and incorporated different elements from the books.

I sincerely doubt this. There is only one Night's King in the book. He was the 13th commander and fell in love with a queen of the north. He ruled the Night fort with her and got beaten by the King of Winter and the King Beyond the wall.

The Night's King was known for sacrificing to the Others (so they were already there)

I think (but not sure yet) that they adapted parts of that for the TV show. Maybe the CotF caught the commander of the Night Watch and turned him into the first WW, or maybe they captured Bran the Builder and turned him into the first WW, or maybe we will never know. I think they created an own 'end-boss' for the tv-show and incorporated different elements from the books.

It's linked above. Unless they specifically come out and state they're shedding that part of the canon, the Night's King is in the show history as well.

Chuckie

It's linked above. Unless they specifically come out and state they're shedding that part of the canon, the Night's King is in the show history as well.

Then the legend differs slightly from the truth and we saw the 13th commander getting stabbed by Leaf for instance.

I really don't think there are two Night's King.

HolySheep

Neo Member

Perhaps. The timelines only works if you ignore that he was a lord commander and sacrificed to the others though(assuming he was the firs WW)

Zabka

That wouldn't make sense. The name "Night's Watch" comes from their formation during the end of the Long Night.

I don't know why having someone declare himself "Night's King" precludes it from also being the original leader of the White Walkers. The 13th Lord Commander falling in love with a White Walker and saying "Guess what, I'm the Night's King now" works fine.

Then the legend differs slightly from the truth and we saw the 13th commander getting stabbed by Leaf for instance.

I really don't think there are two Night's King.

I'm not saying there are two, my point was that the legend differs from the truth. For all we know the 13th Lord Commander was killed by the Night King, who then took his place. If they want, they can spin it however they wish. If we ever see the Night King character in the books, he'll either be given another name (Great Other) or another origin.

Perhaps. The timelines only works if you ignore that he was a lord commander and sacrificed to the others though(assuming he was the firs WW)

At this point we just don't know enough, I think. If we saw the creation of the first White Walker, and that White Walker in turn became the Night King, then either the Night King and the Night's King are two different legendary figures or the two legends mingled somewhere down the line, either by chance of by purpose.

That wouldn't make sense. The name "Night's Watch" comes from their formation during the end of the Long Night.

I don't know why having someone declare himself "Night's King" precludes it from also being the original leader of the White Walkers. The 13th Lord Commander falling in love with a White Walker and saying "Guess what, I'm the Night's King now" works fine.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what they're ultimately gonna go with. I don't see them spending show time explaining away that character, unless it's in the appendices again.

Chuckie

I still think the TV makers thought it was an awesome name and decided to run with it.
I don't think this guy is in the books to be honest. Not in this shape anyway. As the first WW to be ever created and the Night's King.
While technically possible that the 13th commander said: Guess what..I'm the Nights King now... it makes no sense at all, because the original Night's King is still hanging around, doing...stuff.

Chuckie

The sand snakes will sneak up behind nymeria and stab her after teleporting to the riverlands for some reason.

I think Nymeria will put up more of a fight than that prince.

Imagine a show where Nymeria kills all the Sandsnakes!

Oh Nymeria...you greedy bitch.

bengraven

Just had a thought.

Lyanna: Promise me, Ned.
Ned: I promise. I will give him my name.
Lyanna: no, keep him hidden. A bastard name of the..*cough* North. Snow. Keep eyes off of him, keep suspicion away.
Ned: I prom---
Bran: That's Jon...that's when Jon Snow was born...
Ned: Jon Snow...yes. They'll think I'm naming it after good old Jon Arryn.
Lyanna: Oh Jon...*kisses his cheek* It's a shame that in regards to your secret origin you will know nothing.

NeoGiff

Just had a thought.

Lyanna: no, keep him hidden. A bastard name of the..*cough* North. Snow. Keep eyes off of him, keep suspicion away.
Lyanna: Oh Jon...*kisses his cheek* It's a shame that in regards to your secret origin you will know nothing.

lFpGXjc.gif

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Just had a thought.

Like poetry.

I can't wait until Bran wargs back in time to reveal to the audience that Tyrion is a secret Targ and, while he's there, accidentally wargs in to their cousin Orson Lannister just as Meera is screaming at Bran to listen to the latest "smash hit from the Beatles."

Massa

I don't think Lyanna and Ned's talk will actually reveal that the baby is Jon Snow. They'll probably save that for a separate scene (episode 10) with young Ned arriving somewhere with the baby and calling him "Jon Snow" there.

bengraven

Bran is going to be the sun on the map.

The entire time it was Bran zooming in on these locations during the opening credits.

In fact, it was him and five copies of him from different points in time that made up a band and played the theme song.

You know it's going to happen.

giphy.gif

bengraven

Didn't someone already crush the Coldhands/Benjen theory?

Readers of GRRM's “A Song of Ice and Fire” have believed that Coldhands, a character who Bran Stark meets in the true North, is actually Bran's uncle and missing member of the Night's Watch, Benjen Stark. The theory was seemingly solid, but GRRM has confirmed that Coldhands is not Benjen Stark.Jan 21, 2015

I mean, it makes sense for the show, though.

hoos30

Seems like it.

Show runners just couldn't handle the universe.

Also things are starting to feel rushed again... because they gotta get everything in line for the last season.

Meanwhile GRR Martin will finally get Winds of Winter out in the next year or so and then mention that he want's to turn the final book into two more books.

You sweet, summer child. We may never see that book in our lifetime.

Forkball

To protect them from obsidian and Valyrian steel, as we saw when one of the Children tried to kill one of them in 605.

Where are their helmets? The Night's King doesn't even have sleeves? They're going full Fashion Souls. Also what about the WW that appeared wearing loinclothes originally? GET TYPIN GRRM

I'm not saying there are two, my point was that the legend differs from the truth. For all we know the 13th Lord Commander was killed by the Night King, who then took his place. If they want, they can spin it however they wish. If we ever see the Night King character in the books, he'll either be given another name (Great Other) or another origin.

At this point we just don't know enough, I think. If we saw the creation of the first White Walker, and that White Walker in turn became the Night King, then either the Night King and the Night's King are two different legendary figures or the two legends mingled somewhere down the line, either by chance of by purpose.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what they're ultimately gonna go with. I don't see them spending show time explaining away that character, unless it's in the appendices again.

Apparently the guy we are seeing in the show is "The Night King" and the character of legend is the "The Night's King".

So they are two different people with two different names.

CloudWolf

Didn't someone already crush the Coldhands/Benjen theory?
IMO the Children of the Forest themselves crushed that theory when Leaf stated that Coldhands had been dead for a long time. The year that Benjen has been gone is not a long time in the eyes of a creature that's at least twohundred years old.

IMO the Children of the Forest themselves crushed that theory when Leaf stated that Coldhands had been dead for a long time. The year that Benjen has been gone is not a long time in the eyes of a creature that's at least twohundred years old.

Wouldn't leaf be over 1000 years old since she was there when the others were created/

duckroll

Leaf being the one who created the Night King is a show thing right now. Coldhands being "dead a long time" to the Children is a book thing right now. So combining the two pieces of information would not necessarily be accurate.

I seem to be the only one who was a bit underwhelmed by Hodor's sacrifice. He must've held that door for maybe a minute or two, allowing Meera to drag Bran a good 50 yards. How on earth will those zombies catch them now?
It just seemed like the whole escape had some really bizarre time/space problems.

Euron's scene was terrible. He looks like a tramp that washed ashore somehow, instead of a legendary raider. It's like they made no effort at all to explain why the ironborn would like to follow him. "I've been away travelling for most of my life and have returned empty-handed. I'm not the heir to the throne, and I killed the king. Follow me and I'll totally conquer the world. I don't have a fleet of my own but all you need to do is build some new ones using all that wood from our barren islands! Can we change our house motto from "We do not sow" to "We love a bit of DIY"?".

I'm also getting really tired of Arya's neverending training montage. Those scenes are going nowhere.

I hope Sam gets to Oldtown soon. I can't imagine anything important happening with Gilly and the baby at Tarly castle.

The Actor Kevin Eldon as an actor playing Ned Stark was genius though. Best scene in the season so far. Hopefully we'll see him play Rob at the Red Wedding next week.

It's a shame that Bran and Meera don't have Littlefinger's teleportation ability. They could really use it right now. I think it's almost a guarantee that Coldhands will show up next episode. Whether or not the show will make him and Benjen one and the same is the question.

I don't think Martin will ever tell us what happened to Benjen though. He's basically a MIA soldier whose family never finds out what happened to him. It's unsatisfying from the perspective of us the readers, but it's realistic. There are a lot of soldiers who never come home and their families never learn about their ultimate fate.

I seem to be the only one who was a bit underwhelmed by Hodor's sacrifice. He must've held that door for maybe a minute or two, allowing Meera to drag Bran a good 50 yards. How on earth will those zombies catch them now?
It just seemed like the whole escape had some really bizarre time/space problems.

Yup, there is no way that happens in the books that way. There must be some really dramatic good reason for hodors entire life be for that one moment. In the show he did what, buy bran 2 minutes, it was insignificant, they will be caught right after and some huge bullshit is going to get him out of it. No way the book scene is this sloppy.

Massa

Next week on Game of Thrones: 20 minutes of Hodor holding the door followed by 30 minutes of Littlefinger riding a horse from Mole's Town back to Moat Cailin.

Euron's scene was terrible. He looks like a tramp that washed ashore somehow, instead of a legendary raider. It's like they made no effort at all to explain why the ironborn would like to follow him. "I've been away travelling for most of my life and have returned empty-handed. I'm not the heir to the throne, and I killed the king. Follow me and I'll totally conquer the world. I don't have a fleet of my own but all you need to do is build some new ones using all that wood from our barren islands! Can we change our house motto from "We do not sow" to "We love a bit of DIY"?".

It always seems so empty on the islands. I mean they're choosing a new king and there's only a handful of ragged ironborn standing around.

Are we seriously arguing that the show is making an intentional distinction between "Night King" and "Night's King" when it wouldn't even allow Osha and Asha to coexist?

We seriously trying to say this isn't just an oversight where they borrowed the books' lore and then modified it to conform to show continuity?

Guys, come on.

Are we seriously arguing that the show is making an intentional distinction between "Night King" and "Night's King" when it wouldn't even allow Osha and Asha to coexist?

We seriously trying to say this isn't just an oversight where they borrowed the books' lore and then modified it to conform to show continuity?

Guys, come on.

Great point, actually.

I'm also getting really tired of Arya's neverending training montage. Those scenes are going nowhere.

I hope Sam gets to Oldtown soon. I can't imagine anything important happening with Gilly and the baby at Tarly castle.

The Actor Kevin Eldon as an actor playing Ned Stark was genius though. Best scene in the season so far. Hopefully we'll see him play Rob at the Red Wedding next week.

Agree with everything. Arya especially. I thought she finally peaked last week and this week hits and it's the same old shit and she's asking a ton of questions like she doesn't know better at this point. If there is a pet peeve of mine with tv shows, it's instant regression in characters.

mantidor

Yup, there is no way that happens in the books that way. There must be some really dramatic good reason for hodors entire life be for that one moment. In the show he did what, buy bran 2 minutes, it was insignificant, they will be caught right after and some huge bullshit is going to get him out of it. No way the book scene is this sloppy.

I think the reason is subtly explained already, if he had remained Wyllis he would probably had ended up as the Stark's "Mountain", and he would had to go through:

Roberts Rebellion.
War of the five Kings.
The red wedding.
Sacking of Winterfell.

It's extremely unlikely he would have survived all of this as Wyllis the giant warrior, as Hodor he was so low profile people didn't think much of him, so he could fulfill his role as Bran's protector, he is the main reason Bran managed to get to bloodraven, and it's obvious Bran is very important in defeating the white Walkers: Jojen, bloodraven, the children of the forest, they all sacrificed themselves for him.

It's tragic, it's bittersweet, it's pure, quintessential GRRM :p

Sean C

Where are their helmets? The Night's King doesn't even have sleeves? They're going full Fashion Souls. Also what about the WW that appeared wearing loinclothes originally? GET TYPIN GRRM
Nobody on the show wears helmets.

As to why they used to have just loincloths, note that that was before Sam killed one of them with an obsidian dagger. In a show that is often sloppy with details, that one actually works: they saw that at least some humans knew how to kill them, and so they armoured up.

Carn82

Isn't it possible than Meera is Jon's twin? Why don't more people talk about that?

Yeah, I've seen that theory floating around. Doesnt make much sense in the show tho, the Reeds havent really been established that much besides some namedropping. I wonder if 'the average viewer' even connects Howland Reed in the Tower of Joy flashback to being Meera's father.

Sean C

It doesn't make sense in the books either. Indeed, much of the basis for this theory, as far as I can tell, seems to be people who think Harington and Kendrick look alike. Book!Meera is described as looking like Jojen, and having the same distinctive green eyes as him.

Moreover, there's absolutely no reason for Ned to take baby Jon to Winterfell but send baby Meera off to live in the crannogs. If it's safe to bring one, it's safe to bring both.

Forkball

Is there a reason everyone is assuming the flashback showed the creation of the very first white walker, and not just A white walker?

The actor who plays the guy tied to the tree is the same actor as the Night's King.

Nobody on the show wears helmets.

As to why they used to have just loincloths, note that that was before Sam killed one of them with an obsidian dagger. In a show that is often sloppy with details, that one actually works: they saw that at least some humans knew how to kill them, and so they armoured up.

I would like to have been there for that meeting.

White Walker: Sir, one of us was killed. We can't freeball it anymore, we need armor.
Night's King: Does anybody know how to stitch?

The actor who plays the guy tied to the tree is the same actor as the Night's King.

But how do we know our Night's King (the one in the flashback and who confronted Jon and Bran) is the first white walker? Why can't the Night's King have come along much later after the creation of the white walkers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom