• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carn82

It doesn't make sense in the books either. Indeed, much of the basis for this theory, as far as I can tell, seems to be people who think Harington and Kendrick look alike. Book!Meera is described as looking like Jojen, and having the same distinctive green eyes as him.

Moreover, there's absolutely no reason for Ned to take baby Jon to Winterfell but send baby Meera off to live in the crannogs. If it's safe to bring one, it's safe to bring both.

Yeah, I agree. Even if they end up being twins (for whatever reason), I fail to see the narrative meaning of it, besides having Bran being dragged around by his possible cousin.

But for the sake of argument, if they are twins it might be more strategic to keep them apart (as with Luke/Leia).

Yeah, I've seen that theory floating around. Doesnt make much sense in the show tho, the Reeds havent really been established that much besides some namedropping. I wonder if 'the average viewer' even connects Howland Reed in the Tower of Joy flashback to being Meera's father.
Hasn't that theory gained steam because of the show? Largely due to the similarities in appearance of the actors.

It seems very unlikely though and I'm not sure what purpose it would serve if true.

Forkball

But how do we know our Night's King (the one in the flashback and who confronted Jon and Bran) is the first white walker? Why can't the Night's King have come along much later after the creation of the white walkers?
Well he could have, but the scene is framed as the white walker origin story. It would make sense that the first WW would be their leader. Though you gotta wonder what's he been doing from then to now.
Hasn't that theory gained steam because of the show? Largely due to the similarities in appearance of the actors.

It seems very unlikely though and I'm not sure what purpose it would serve if true.
We could always use more secret Targaryens, especially since there's no Aegon.

Well he could have, but the scene is framed as the white walker origin story. It would make sense that the first WW would be their leader. Though you gotta wonder what's he been doing from then to now.

Maybe White Walkers hold elections before each winter and just happen to elect a huge dick this time around. There's probably a group of them that are like "don't blame me, I didn't vote for him."

But how do we know our Night's King (the one in the flashback and who confronted Jon and Bran) is the first white walker? Why can't the Night's King have come along much later after the creation of the white walkers?

We know that the Children created the White Walkers because after the vision Bran confronts Leaf and says "It was you! You created the White Walkers!" And Leaf acknowledges her role in the creation of the Night King and the White Walkers.

I mean, it's right there in the scene.

I understand people wishing the Others had a more independent origin story, and I would've been perfectly happy with the Others being an unexplained force, or having it tie into The Great War with R'hollor but... they just don't.

What's interesting is how this contrasts to Lord of the Rings. In Lord of the Rings the idea that nature is benevolent (Elves, Hobbits, etc) and that industry (Sauron) is a destructive force is very much a key theme in Tolkien's work. Tolkien hated industrialization.

In A Song of Ice and Fire it's the opposite. Nature (the Children of the Forest) has become warped (The White Walkers/Others) due to the influence of man (The First Men), and is actively working towards wiping out mankind.

I'm ok with that. I even like it.

Apt101

yeah Nights King as first WW makes no sense, I honestly think they just liked the tittle and slapped it on the leader of the WW

Yes, the Night's King of the book legends is obviously different. They're just using it, as it is a pretty cool title.

Also, you guys have got it all wrong. The ending will be Bran in modern times, dashing, garbed in oddly Victorian-style clothing. He's walking along a street in New Landing, marveling a bit at the gaudy displays of 4k tablets in a window, as someone catches his eye. Meera, or, at least a women who looks like Meera. She's struggling to hail a cab while rattling on into her cell phone about some meeting. Bran notices she speaks like the people of the day, dressed in their attire. A taxi driver suddenly has the oddest sensation and, with purpose, suddenly makes a U-turn through honking traffic to pick "Meera" up. As she approaches the cab Bran steps in front of her and opens the door for her. "Everyone is always in such a hurry these days", Bran says in his English accent. "Meera" looks into his face quizzically, knowingly, and smiles.

Sean C

But for the sake of argument, if they are twins it might be more strategic to keep them apart (as with Luke/Leia).
Luke/Leia were kept apart because George Lucas pulled that twist out of his ass when the time came to make the third movie. ;)

fuzzyset

Also, you guys have got it all wrong....

I always liked this:

I have told my friends that I think I know how the story is going to end...
I think the epilogue for the entire series is going to be a tavern somewhere, 300 or so years in the future after the current events are done. There will be a bard singing by the fire, and he will sing of The Song of Ice and Fire. He will sing of all the current characters in their idealized form, i.e. how Ser Jaime had a golden hand, or about Lady Brienne the Beauty, how she was the most beautiful warrior maiden in the land.
The song will not mention all of the horrible, terrible things the characters have done to each other. It will only remember their idealized versions, just how the current characters remember the legends of old as heroes of their age, and not real people.

Yes, the Night's King of the book legends is obviously different. They're just using it, as it is a pretty cool title.

Also, you guys have got it all wrong. The ending will be Bran in modern times, dashing, garbed in oddly Victorian-style clothing. He's walking along a street in New Landing, marveling a bit at the gaudy displays of 4k tablets in a window, as someone catches his eye. Meera, or, at least a women who looks like Meera. She's struggling to hail a cab while rattling on into her cell phone about some meeting. Bran notices she speaks like the people of the day, dressed in their attire. A taxi driver suddenly has the oddest sensation and, with purpose, suddenly makes a U-turn through honking traffic to pick "Meera" up. As she approaches the cab Bran steps in front of her and opens the door for her. "Everyone is always in such a hurry these days", Bran says in his English accent. "Meera" looks into his face quizzically, knowingly, and smiles.

Guys, For the sake of this argument dieing, please stop referring to the main white walker in the show as the Night's King. His name in the show is The Night King (no possessive S). It seems small but to stop the confusion please start using that name.

Mr Git

I wonder if this was also hinted at by the season/tree location. There's no snow to be seen and this is meant to be in the far north.

An insight into what Petyr was thinking during this scene.

mhgNVfv.png

One of many, many reasons why this is the episode where i peace the fuck out. That final scene was so fucking dumb i was seizing harder then Wyllis.

When she ran out to see the white walkers there was 6-7 spears against the wall. It's pretty simple to think that they would be obsidian.

Sean C

One of many, many reasons why this is the episode where i peace the fuck out. That final scene was so fucking dumb i was seizing harder then Wyllis.
Er, that's not dumb. Sam gave them a stash of obsidian weapons at the end of Season 3. The Child of the Forest's blow didn't work because it didn't penetrate his armour, not because it wasn't obsidian.

mantidor

Lol you sound like someone who would complain if they made explicit dialog explaining the spears are obsidian because it's "too much exposition" or something.

I've criticized the show plenty, the last scene was ok, I don't see the complains.

The White Walkers are obviously intelligent, so is there overall goal just to kill everyone? And then what? I hope they're more depth to them outside of ice terminators. Where do they get their armor from for one. Why do they even wear armor?

Also in the history and lore special features in Season 2, they do discuss the story of the Night's King that is pretty much lifted from the book. Though it's presented as a legend, perhaps the truth is far different.

There is only one man who can save us.

tumblr_o7ngjwEHKx1rejh21o1_500.png

The Night is Dark and Full of Nectar Points.

ActWan

The Hodor part was so goddamn stupid holy shit..I'm actually sad it was this stupid cuz there was a potential for a good scene.
And WTF was the deal with the white walker king that "died" from a fucking regular spear? I though only valerian and dragon glass can "kill" them. I think I missed something.

XAL

How did Meera kill that white walker? Did she just get lucky by happening to grab an obsidian tipped spear?

I think when they went into the cave 2 seasons ago they remarked there were obsidian arrow heads in the cave.

The child of the forest didn't gib the white walker because it didn't penetrate the armor he had on. Meera hit him in the neck.

The Hodor part was so goddamn stupid holy shit..I'm actually sad it was this stupid cuz there was a potential for a good scene.
And WTF was the deal with the white walker king that "died" from a fucking regular spear? I though only valerian and dragon glass can "kill" them. I think I missed something.

It was obsidian which is dragon glass.

Iksenpets

Banned

All the spears in the cave are obsidian. They either belong to the children themselves, or were made from the stash of obsidian Sam gave to Meera.

hoos30

Of all the things to complain about, this? Really?

Maybe all of the weapons need to have a dragonglass label on them.

XAL

Wouldn't leaf be over 1000 years old since she was there when the others were created/

Leaf is only 200 years old, born in the time of the dragons. Dragons went extinct 150 yrs prior to GOT.

Unless you're talking about the throwaway show version of Leaf, which is just a nameless child of the forest. Then yeah she'd be something like ~8300 years old to be around at the times the Others first came into existence.

Pluto

Really? Even Linda had good things to say about the scene and thought it was effective and got an emotional response out of her.

Leaf is only 200 years old, born in the time of the dragons. Dragons went extinct 150 yrs prior to GOT.

Unless you're talking about the throwaway show version of Leaf, which is just a nameless child of the forest. Then yeah she'd be something like ~8300 years old to be around at the times the Others first came into existence.

The throwaway show version.

Thaedolus

Now we got people bitching about how dumb the show is for having the Others go down when it was clearly dragon glass which took them down.

suzu

I thought the origins of the white walkers was pretty underwhelming. I suppose it's going to be the same in the books?

The White Walkers are obviously intelligent, so is there overall goal just to kill everyone? And then what? I hope they're more depth to them outside of ice terminators. Where do they get their armor from for one. Why do they even wear armor?

Also in the history and lore special features in Season 2, they do discuss the story of the Night's King that is pretty much lifted from the book. Though it's presented as a legend, perhaps the truth is far different.

There is only one man who can save us.

tumblr_o7ngjwEHKx1rejh21o1_500.png

Damn those frames are the shit. Wonder if I can pull them off...

Gigglepoo

Could Tyrion be in danger?

Like Jon last season, he's made decisions that have made him the enemy of those closest to him. By partnering with slavers, he ignored the deep hatred Missandei and Grey Worm have for all those who think of humans as mere possessions. This is extremely similar to Jon letting the Wildings through the door. Both he and Tyrion had visions of the greater good but were blind to the unrest of the people who serve beside them.

And then Tyrion partnered with the red priests to spread the word that Dany is the savior of Meereen. By allying himself with the red god, he turned his back on Varys, who was the last person in Meereen who liked Tyrion. Now, the only three people who Tyrion surrounds himself with have very real reasons to loathe him. And that's not even taking into consideration how Dany will feel once she sees that her hard work was destroyed while she was away.

We've now gotten lax with the main characters. We feel that the showrunners have killed everyone we held dear and now we're going to sail happily toward the ending where the good people win. I don't think that's the case, and I think killing Tyrion is not only possible, but would once again shake us in ways only the death of a beloved character can.

Anyone else think Tyrion's time is running short? We've seen in the past how important it is to stay friendly with those closest to you, and how horrible thing can turn out when you enemies are close enough to shove a blade in your back.

mantidor

Could Tyrion be in danger?

Like Jon last season, he's made decisions that have made him the enemy of those closest to him. By partnering with slavers, he ignored the deep hatred Missandei and Grey Worm have for all those who think of humans as mere possessions. This is extremely similar to Jon letting the Wildings through the door. Both he and Tyrion had visions of the greater good but were blind to the unrest of the people who serve beside them.

And then Tyrion partnered with the red priests to spread the word that Dany is the savior of Meereen. By allying himself with the red god, he turned his back on Varys, who was the last person in Meereen who liked Tyrion. Now, the only three people who Tyrion surrounds himself with have very real reasons to loathe him. And that's not even taking into consideration how Dany will feel once she sees that her hard work was destroyed while she was away.

We've now gotten lax with the main characters. We feel that the showrunners have killed everyone we held dear and now we're going to sail happily toward the ending where the good people win. I don't think that's the case, and I think killing Tyrion is not only possible, but would once again shake us in ways only the death of a beloved character can.

Anyone else think Tyrion's time is running short? We've seen in the past how important it is to stay friendly with those closest to you, and how horrible thing can turn out when you enemies are close enough to shove a blade in your back.

Damn.

This should happen now, but I feel it won't, they established Tyrion and dragons and that must go somewhere.

Apt101

Unless Tyrion dies in the books he's safe. And even then they'll put it off for as long as possible, probably into next season. Dinklage, Clarke, and Harrington are the faces of the show. Arguably Dinklage more than the others, seeing as he's easily the largest personality on the show.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
And that's not even taking into consideration how Dany will feel once she sees that her hard work was destroyed while she was away.

I think that's the biggest danger. I think Danny is going to be pissed about the 7 year deal thing. It was the only real option they had to make, but I think she won't care.

Iksenpets

Banned
Damn.

This should happen now, but I feel it won't, they established Tyrion and dragons and that must go somewhere.

I don't think Tyrion will die, but I think they could be moving to something similar to the books, where Dany's allies pull the whole poisoned locusts thing to try and break the peace and blame the Harpy for it. Grey Worm getting pissed at the masters and trying to frame them for breaking the peace, followed by Tyrion falling for it and responding forcefully, thus triggering the siege from Yunkai/Astapor/Volantis would be a pretty direct replacement of the Barristan/Shavepate plot from the books. And then Yara rolls in by sea while Dany arrives by land to break the siege in ep10 and sail to Westeros.

Apt101

I don't think Tyrion will die, but I think they could be moving to something similar to the books, where Dany's allies pull the whole poisoned locusts thing to try and break the peace and blame the Harpy for it. Grey Worm getting pissed at the masters and trying to frame them for breaking the peace, followed by Tyrion falling for it and responding forcefully, thus triggering the siege from Yunkai/Astapor/Volantis would be a pretty direct replacement of the Barristan/Shavepate plot from the books. And then Yara rolls in by sea while Dany arrives by land to break the siege in ep10 and sail to Westeros.

I honestly can't see Grey Worm or Missandei manipulating anyone. Grey Worm is a hammer and Missandei wears her emotions on her sleeve.

Gigglepoo

Damn.

That's another reason why he should be killed. So many people now just assume that he's going to ride a dragon, that he has this destiny alongside the other heroes. But doesn't that seem too easy? "Let's stick the popular character on a dragon!" Realistically, he's nothing more than an advisor and so he's not ultimately important when push comes to shove.

As much as I enjoy Tyrion, I think the show would be improved by killing him off. His character growth has stagnated, his importance has diminished, and he's one of the few "untouchable" character who could be killed without derailing the story.

Unless Tyrion dies in the books he's safe. And even then they'll put it off for as long as possible, probably into next season. Dinklage, Clarke, and Harrington are the faces of the show. Arguably Dinklage more than the others, seeing as he's easily the largest personality on the show.

He could die in the books. In fact, it would be a surprise if he lives to the very end. I think his role is going to be very different in Martin's story (Selmy is running Meereen in Dany's absence) but he could still die. But, either way, book and show canon are different. I do think it'd be fascinating if they set it up so Cercei has to die (The Mountain dies in the trial?) but in the last episode, she escapes to Casterly Rock while her brother is executed by Dany. It would be a shock that fits in with what the story is doing (don't make your friends angry!) and would leave us unbalanced going into the offseason. If Tyrion isn't safe, that means no one is safe. Right?

Madness

Yup, there is no way that happens in the books that way. There must be some really dramatic good reason for hodors entire life be for that one moment. In the show he did what, buy bran 2 minutes, it was insignificant, they will be caught right after and some huge bullshit is going to get him out of it. No way the book scene is this sloppy.

You just highlighted why his sacrifice was warranted. Without Hodor they would have been caught earlier. Now they had time to get away from the horde and will be rescued.

Summer probably had a more wasteful death since he didn't even get them more than a few seconds and it would have been to just fling Bran on his back and have him sprint down the cave.

Hodor saved Bran and Meera's life. He did it against his will. Bran sacrificed him. I think you folks are just going to hate the show for no reason simply because it isn't the books. Every site is saying they got more hits than even the Red Wedding and across pop culture and even today all people talked about was Hodor and what a powerful scene.

Yup, there is no way that happens in the books that way. There must be some really dramatic good reason for hodors entire life be for that one moment. In the show he did what, buy bran 2 minutes, it was insignificant, they will be caught right after and some huge bullshit is going to get him out of it. No way the book scene is this sloppy.

I was reading a post on reddit yesterday, where this guy was like: "I could tell that scene was straight from the books as soon as Meera started talking about breakfast." lol.

Gigglepoo

I was reading a post on reddit yesterday, where this guy was like: "I could tell that scene was straight from the books as soon as Meera started talking about breakfast." lol.

"I'm going to eat scrambled eggs with a rasher of bacon, put on my boiled leather, and find out where whores go."

mantidor

Hodor saved Bran and Meera's life. He did it against his will. Bran sacrificed him. I think you folks are just going to hate the show for no reason simply because it isn't the books. Every site is saying they got more hits than even the Red Wedding and across pop culture and even today all people talked about was Hodor and what a powerful scene.

Interviews say otherwise.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-kristian-nairn-interview-896812?u

How did you play Hodor's final moments? Some are wondering how much Bran is in there versus Hodor.

It wasn't Bran. He only gave him almost like you would slap a horse at the start of the race — a giddy-up to get him up and going. I don't think Bran would be able to do the warging thing from the situation he was in. But also remember, it wasn't Bran who told Hodor to hold the door. It was Meera. Hodor was acting under the instruction of Meera, to the start. He was terrified running down that tunnel. If he was warged, he wouldn't have been terrified. I think he realized the only way Bran and Meera could be safe was for him to be sacrificed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom