• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moff

why would bran even have to warg into him in the first place if it really was hodor himself?
so you guys think bran warged out of him at the door so hodor could feel all the pain of being torn apart by the wights himself?
that's even worse

wtf, bran

Paganmoon

How are people still surprised Bran is a dick? Did we all not read the same books? He was fucking horrible against Hodor ever since he figured out he could Warg into him.

DKehoe

How are people still surprised Bran is a dick? Did we all not read the same books? He was fucking horrible against Hodor ever since he figured out he could Warg into him.

Yeh, Bran is fully aware of how horrific it is for Hodor when he wargs into him but keeps doing it anyway. Doing it because it's a life or death situation and there's no other option is one thing but he's done it before just because he's bored and wants to go explore the cave he's in.

To be fair, Bran is like 10-12 in the books. I don't think he really understands why what he's doing is wrong.

Blatz

I kinda though Hodor and Bran wolf death was pointless.

Agree on the wolf, disagree completely on Hodor. Bran will learn a terribly valuable lesson from that.

On the wolf, it wasn't just pointless, it was contrary to the nature of a wolf. To run into a mob like that. Silly.

mantidor

why would bran even have to warg into him in the first place if it really was hodor himself?
so you guys think bran warged out of him at the door so hodor could feel all the pain of being torn apart by the wights himself?
that's even worse

wtf, bran

As I saw it and from the interviews he didn't even manage to warg into Hodor completely, it was merely a mental slap of sorts to get him out of his "rocking in a corner" state so he could help with the sledge. Everything afterwards is Hodor by himself. Bran "in-vision" isn't warged, his consciousness is still in the past.

Of course I could be completely wrong and Bran did it all :p but even if that was the case Bran didn't do anything on purpose, both the three eyed raven and Meera gave him orders and he followed them.

Jarmel

Banned
I can't emphasize enough how much I hate that White Walker origin story. It's like the most lame explanation they could have come up with.

I can't emphasize enough how much I hate that White Walker origin story. It's like the most lame explanation they could have come up with.

They didn't really spend enough time on it (seriously, Hodor's hodor-ing got more of a setup & dramatic payoff than the WW origin) but I think it fits in with GRRM's writing. The WW's are basicaly a runaway bio/nuclear weapon that was created as the ultimate answer to their problems.

Whether it 'worked' or has significance in the show given the difference in tone we'll have to see. I wouldn't be surprised if the show never addresses this again.

DKehoe

Pretty sure that was also GRRM

Yeh, I didn't expect the series to give any sort of origin for the White Walkers but that one seems like something GRRM would give as one. They are an example of how conflict just leads to more conflict and isn't really a long term solution. That fits in with the themes he is writing about.

The children creating the Others is not new or surprising
https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/4klqi7/spoilers_extended_the_books_already_told_us_who/

I'd imagine the way it's fully revealed in the book will be different. This also explains Martin's comment that the Others don't really have a culture. It makes sense that if they were created they'd simply mimick some of the behavior of their creators (the weird symbol they use in the show multiple times), as well as their origin race (they laugh in the book prologue).

I'm curious what their language is though. Language is culture...perhaps they don't have an original language and just speak a corrupted form of the old tongue?

XAL

Started a re-read after this last episode -- I just had to. Two things:

1. Guess who gets the first chapter after the prologue. LOOK!

2. Bran totally time warp warged into that mother wolf to go get south of the wall and get stabbed by the stag to try and warn the whole family, didn't he?

I really hope they don't fucking have Bran traveling back in time to make stuff that already happened, happen.

Bran becoming a character solely dedicated to orchestrating events that have already happened would be so fucking stupid. It would be a bunch of filler bullshit that serves no purpose.

I REALLY hope that time travel causal-loop for Hodor was a one time thing.

Pretty sure that was also GRRM

Pretty sure it's also a gross-over simplification of that story beat. It will probably be more involved in the books. They dedicated like 10 seconds to the origin of the white walkers in the show. wut

Agree on the wolf, disagree completely on Hodor. Bran will learn a terribly valuable lesson from that.

On the wolf, it wasn't just pointless, it was contrary to the nature of a wolf. To run into a mob like that. Silly.

They're cutting story threads and characters at a breakneck pace, probably killed Summer in a quick and stupid manner to free up some CG budget.

Martin's hatred of Lost's last two seasons convinces me he will not make time travel the central factor of his end game. I'm sure Bran will see the past and perhaps influence something but I refuse to believe that he will be the catalyst for [insert multiple historical events] happening.

duckroll

Still waiting for the books to finally get to the point where Bran travels far North into the origin point of the White Walkers, and they see a great ruined city with crumbing spires caked in ice... until they realize it isn't a city... but some sort of gigantic spaceship that crashed thousands of years ago. Do it GRRM.

Martin's hatred of Lost's last two seasons convinces me he will not make time travel the central factor of his end game. I'm sure Bran will see the past and perhaps influence something but I refuse to believe that he will be the catalyst for [insert multiple historical events] happening.

Yeah, it would just be really bad storytelling. I can't believe this is a popular theory.

Doing it this once with Hodor is a great character moment for Hodor and Bran. Doing it over and over again to explain major historic events would just be cheap

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

I thought it was fine. On the surface, it's similar to a lot of other bad guy race origins, but that's all we've seen so far.

Still waiting for the books to finally get to the point where Bran travels far North into the origin point of the White Walkers, and they see a great ruined city with crumbing spires caked in ice... until they realize it isn't a city... but some sort of gigantic spaceship that crashed thousands of years ago. Do it GRRM.
Buddy do I have a YouTube channel for you.

I really hope they don't fucking have Bran traveling back in time to make stuff that already happened, happen.

Bran becoming a character solely dedicated to orchestrating events that have already happened would be so fucking stupid. It would be a bunch of filler bullshit that serves no purpose.

I REALLY hope that time travel causal-loop for Hodor was a one time thing.

To be clear XAL, I'm in no way bagging on your opinion of the concept at all. But man, I think another layer of the quagmire GRRM finds himself in is having people's opinions on a likely streamlined version of this story floating out there now.

I hope he can keep plugging along with whatever he has planned.

Jarmel

Banned
They're cutting story threads and characters at a breakneck pace, probably killed Summer in a quick and stupid manner to free up some CG budget.

It's ridiculous how dirty they did the direwolves. I expect Ghost to die when Ramsay tries to shank Jon. Ramsay's final kill.

Onion A|V Club's Polite Fight video feature:

- Nitpicking that Hodor scene and getting weepy about it anyway
John and Gus were both a little disappointed in “The Door,” which was a mostly by-the-numbers exercise in Game Of Thronesplot advancement. Gus finds a range of problems with the way the show set up Hodor’s big sacrifice, although John admits none of the confusion kept him from getting choked up. But uninspired choices abound in other storylines, especially Arya’s—even if her latest faceoff against the waif does make viewers yearn for an epic beatdown. Our perpetual aesthetic oasis seems to be the Meereen throne room, a small and simple space that the show continues to employ in smart (if not terribly groundbreaking) ways. We also tip our cap to a poster for pointing out contradictions in the High Sparrow’s stories.

Also:
- WSJ: Inside Of Monsters and Men’s Cameo on ‘Game of Thrones’
- Kimmel: Game of Thrones Producers Apologize for Hodor

Massa

The problem with wolves isn't the CG budget, it's that they can't do them fully in CG.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

Well it's a nuclear device gone wrong...with GRRM's current method twist of deconstructing tropes, it should be extremely interesting as to what happens.

Moff

More deserts. So either Dany is still in Essos, or we're getting a lot of Dorne. Pick your poison.

it's actually westeros, the others will freeze everything to death and the dragons will melt the ice and burn everything up, leaving only a desert

MikeDown

Banned
came to work today to discover....
CjUu64cUUAAnc8N.jpg:large

Brakke

Banned
Does anybody else think that the Lord of Light is really the Three Eyed Raven?

It's GoT so given any crackpot theory, there's always a bunch of people who buy it.

Yeah people have talked about resurrection by Lord of Light actually being warging. Seems lame to me if all magic in this world comes back to either trees or to dragons.

clemenx

Banned
I'd love further exploration of this part of the world as much as anyone else, but is there a reason you suspect this?

Nah, Only wishful thinking. I've been enamored with the Far East ever since I read the World of Ice and Fire. I hope at least part of it is going to be part of the main story instead of only extremely good world building.

Iksenpets

Banned
Or maybe Bran has some visions of Valyria.

Show Valyria looked almost tropical though when Tyrion and Jorah sailed through it. Maybe Asshai? Asshai in my mind was always the sort of weird landscape you'd have to do through CG, but maybe that could work as a desert.

But really we're just theorizing to save ourselves from accepting the terrible truth that seasons 7 and 8 are going to be riddled with Dorne.

Azzanadra

More deserts. So either Dany is still in Essos, or we're getting a lot of Dorne. Pick your poison.

Maybe Dany starts her invasion from Dorne?

I would much prefer her to start from say Storms End/Kings Landing/The Eyrie, looking at the map. From those three, it should realistically be Storms End, which is also where Aegon starts his invasion so it would make sense to get back on track with the book there.

I think the Mereen story is rapidly finishing up, theres going to be one final battle and things will quickly wrap up. Admittedly I would like her to just go to Westeros now, like by next episode Euron/Theon (whoever arrives first) pretty much brings her the fleet, and we get to see Dany in westerns for the last 2 or 3 episodes this season.

I don't particularly like Dany though, in fact I hate her and I only want to see her in conflict with the characters I like, that itself would be fun to watch.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The second mooooon!

Finally we get to see Randyll Tarly. I wonder if he'll head to king's landing in the show as well.

Show Valyria looked almost tropical though when Tyrion and Jorah sailed through it. Maybe Asshai? Asshai in my mind was always the sort of weird landscape you'd have to do through CG, but maybe that could work as a desert.

But really we're just theorizing to save ourselves from accepting the terrible truth that seasons 7 and 8 are going to be riddled with Dorne.

Doom of Valyria.
pls no more dorne

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

Let me riff on this for a bit, and let's talk about the real endgame here and my (and many others', I suspect) theory that the the larger end-to-end theme of the futility of humanity.

-- People are freaking out about how often we might go to the Bran's time travels influencing past events thing, but what if that is itself the endgame? What if 'time is a flat circle' is the point here? It would certainly have a beautiful symmetry to it as we see that Bran's is the very first chapter of the series. Closing with a big Bran Was Behind It All And Can't Escape The Loop reveal/twist would be amazing!

-- Whether it's a spaceship, uncovering a Planet of the Apes-like scenario of an ancient, modern past, some of the whacker theories like this work all being in the mind of some delirious maester, whatever ... I think the key is that we're (through GRRM) actively unpacking fantasy tropes. To me I think that means whatever happens, we have to end up in a nihilistic sense of futility. Nothing matters because nothing exists.

-- (incoherent thought about the inside-out globe / clockwork map the show has chosen to use to represent the world and what that might mean for the endgame, if anything)

-- I dunno. I guess reject the anger with which people are approaching the Bran reveal because they're specifically falling into the fantasy tropes GRRM set out to destroy.

-- Also to another post above, I love the observation that the White Walkers are the unintended consequence of nuclear-type weapons. I love the symmetry of this with another similar observation, that Dany's dragons represent nuclear proliferation. What if the endgame is some endless back-and-forth existential ruinations upon this world? First dragons, then white walkers, then dragons, then something worse.. and an endless cycle of Atlantean falls from grace? (and letting Bran be the lens through which readers finally learn this?)

-- [Nuclear] Winter is coming, y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom