• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvedere

Junior Butler
The Three Eyed Raven told Bran to listen to Meera. Meera said "We need Hodor Bran!". Meera also screamed "Hold the door". That isn't exactly Bran deciding I'm more important, I think I'll kill Hodor today.

mantidor

Unless we assume Bran is so powerful that he can maintain two consciousness and a flashback all at the same time I think is safe to say Hodor made the sacrifice on his own.

Apt101

dude fuck ye

id totally put this in a glass cabinet

gonna talk to my girlfriend about buying this

Yea, I hovered over buy for a few minutes and copped it. I'm going to buy a shelf for it to pop it in my office. It looks cool and I've never owned anything like it, but this won me over: Dimensions: 10" x 14" x 5"

That's a good size.

Madness

He made a mistake. Hodor was shaking and crying in a corner. Then Bran whilst in the past looks at Hodor and wargs into him in the future. Future Hodor's eyes went white and he immediately gets up etc.

It is Bran controlling him by looking at the past Hodor etc. This created some fucked up link where Meera's words are heard by young Hodor even though she is shouting it at future Hodor etc. Who knows exactly what Bran did. But Hodor did save Bran and Meera. That will be evident next week when we see they get away and got rescued. He bought them enough time. He held that door.

Speevy

Banned
I wish they'd do a thing like the "enchantments!" guy from Dragon Age.

Meera goes back and all the whitewalkers and wights are dead.

"Hodor?"

Jarmel

Banned
Just watched this week's episode.

There better be more to that White Walker origin story. Holy shit talk about a letdown. Mass Effect tier is about right, in fact this might even be worse.

Gattsu25

Banned
Hodor is like... mentally handicapped. No way he fully understood he had to sacrifice himself for the greater good.

The way he's been depicted this season, I'm not so sure of that. It seems like he's fully there, just not able to speak.

He's opened up considerably since people started talking to him as if he were a regular adult this season.

mantidor

He made a mistake. Hodor was shaking and crying in a corner. Then Bran whilst in the past looks at Hodor and wargs into him in the future. Future Hodor's eyes went white and he immediately gets up etc.

It is Bran controlling him by looking at the past Hodor etc. This created some fucked up link where Meera's words are heard by young Hodor even though she is shouting it at future Hodor etc. Who knows exactly what Bran did. But Hodor did save Bran and Meera. That will be evident next week when we see they get away and got rescued. He bought them enough time. He held that door.

Again you are saying Bran can have two fully functioning consciousness, and we saw how distressed he was while he watched Hodor having a seizure, you are saying basically that Bran is doctor Manhattan....

Nope, I don't see it.

That's still above and beyond the mental capacity of someone like Hodor.

Oh please hodor is not a doormat (pun totally intended), he cares for Bran, we know this, and he takes plenty of decisions on his own, he enters in shock with any kind of violence for reasons we now know, but that doesnt mean he will not defend Bran when he can, his sacrifice was totally non violent.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Has anyone mentioned that the spiral of stones on the overhead shot of the Isle of Faces is very similar to the pattern of bodies the White Walkers laid out in Season 3?

dead%2Bhorses.jpg

q_q

That's still above and beyond the mental capacity of someone like Hodor.
It really isnt. If he can understand orders and peoples emotions, he can understand he needs to help save them. Your assumption is frankly insulting to mentally handicapped people. Just because hes slow doesnt mean hes worthless or completely incompetent.

XAL

Has anyone mentioned that the spiral of stones on the overhead shot of the Isle of Faces is very similar to the pattern of bodies the White Walkers laid out in Season 3?

Yeah. The inside the episode for the most recent episode states that the White Walkers mimic the patterns that the Children of the Forest used in their magic rituals.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Leaf is only 200 years old, born in the time of the dragons. Dragons went extinct 150 yrs prior to GOT.

Unless you're talking about the throwaway show version of Leaf, which is just a nameless child of the forest. Then yeah she'd be something like ~8300 years old to be around at the times the Others first came into existence.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those extremely old points in history given through untrustworthy sources? I thought the farther back in history you go in this world, the more uncertain one is of what exactly happened.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wait, were they at the Isle of Faces this week? I thought they were at the Heart of Winter.

Oh was it? I dunno, I just kind of assumed it was, for some reason. I had the impression that there were a lot of weirwood trees, but I might have just made that up in my head.

Edit: Also, I assumed that the Children of the Forest started to get desperate around the time the First Men started to push back that far north. So perhaps the creation of the White Walkers was one attempt, and then the smashing of The Neck was another attempt after that.

Or something.

Falcs

Banned
Hold the door!
Hold the door!
Hold the door!
Hold the door!
Hold the door!
Hold th door
Hold th door
Hold th door
Hold h door
hold h door
hold door
hold door
hold door
hol door
hol door
holdoor
holdoor
hodoor
hodoor
hodor
hodor
hodor
hodor

Sorry, I just had to. I haven't been able to stop thinking about this scene since I watched it. I put this scene up there with Ned Stark's death, and the Red Wedding. It was just so damn powerful.

XAL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those extremely old points in history given through untrustworthy sources? I thought the farther back in history you go in this world, the more uncertain one is of what exactly happened.

According to GRRM via World of Ice and Fire, the first contact between men and children of the forest occurred 12000-8000 years prior to Aegon's conquest.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
According to GRRM via World of Ice and Fire, the first contact between men and children of the forest occurred 12000-8000 years prior to Aegon's conquest.

Yeah, but isn't that book supposed to be written by a maester? Who, presumably, would be sourcing the same unreliable material available to them in their world?

Sorry, I just had to. I haven't been able to stop thinking about this scene since I watched it. I put this scene up there with Ned Stark's death, and the Red Wedding. It was just so damn powerful.
Just finished watching the episode right now. It really was as bad as those deaths. I'm so sad. :(

I'm fully expecting uncle Benjen to show up next week. Who else could possibly save them since Coldhands doesn't exist in the show? Fuck, I really have no idea where Bran's story could be going.

XAL

Yeah, but isn't that book supposed to be written by a maester? Who, presumably, would be sourcing the same unreliable material available to them in their world?

I mean, they give a ballpark figure showing the uncertainty. It's their current best estimation based on all of the information they have.

They obviously don't have carbon dating, so you're not going to get a precise number. But it can be assumed that the ballpark range is fairly accurate. It's not like they're going to be so inaccurate that they're 10,000 years off and the age of the First Men crossing into Westeros happened 2000 years before Aegon's Conquest or something.

Poor Hodor, completely screwed to die since his childhood

Didnt the walkers do something similar on the very first episode?

Did all the rock plant ladies died? =(

Madness

He already knew he held the door. I think he was just being polite and building up the suspense,

Again you are saying Bran can have two fully functioning consciousness, and we saw how distressed he was while he watched Hodor having a seizure, you are saying basically that Bran is doctor Manhattan....

Nope, I don't see it.

Oh please hodor is not a doormat (pun totally intended), he cares for Bran, we know this, and he takes plenty of decisions on his own, he enters in shock with any kind of violence for reasons we now know, but that doesnt mean he will not defend Bran when he can, his sacrifice was totally non violent.

T2k69gk.jpg

It's like you completely missed that Bran warged into future Hodor whilst in the vision and that Meera's words to Bran and Future Hodor also fucked him up while Bran was staring at him in the past. Bran basically warged into future Hodor and then sacrificed him to hold the door. I paused it right at the second Bran took control and Hodor stopped shaking and crying and got up and took the sleigh down the hall.

Speevy

Banned
Hodor is shown to be afraid of danger more than once by the show. He loves Bran, but he possesses no instincts for saving lives.

Kozak

Banned
I don't think Hodor wasn't warged when holding the door.

re-watch the scene. no white eyes.

He was warged into to get him up and pull the sleigh but we see at the door that it does seem to be Hodor himself, scared, worried and panicking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoShLmdxDE

As far as I know, Bran doesn't know whats happening outside of his vision when he's in them so he couldn't have known what he was doing.

q_q

Hodor is shown to be afraid of danger more than once by the show. He loves Bran, but he possesses no instincts for saving lives.
Right but if someone tells him what to do, he understands and clearly grasps the seriousness of the situation. Why else would he stand there as theyre ripping him apart? And he wasnt warged at the time as he clearly watches them run away from him.

I don't think Hodor wasn't warged when holding the door.

re-watch the scene. no white eyes.

He was warged into to get him up and pull the sleigh but we see at the door that it does seem to be Hodor himself, scared, worried and panicking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoShLmdxDE

As far as I know, Bran doesn't know whats happening outside of his vision when he's in them so he couldn't have known what he was doing.

He also doesn't have white eyes when Bran possessed him and snapped that dudes' neck.

So, unless Hodor turned into a killer and then was confused about what he'd just done, it is safe to say that the possessed does not have white eyes throughout.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Started a re-read after this last episode -- I just had to. Two things:

1. Guess who gets the first chapter after the prologue. LOOK!

2. Bran totally time warp warged into that mother wolf to go get south of the wall and get stabbed by the stag to try and warn the whole family, didn't he?

mantidor

T2k69gk.jpg

It's like you completely missed that Bran warged into future Hodor whilst in the vision and that Meera's words to Bran and Future Hodor also fucked him up while Bran was staring at him in the past. Bran basically warged into future Hodor and then sacrificed him to hold the door. I paused it right at the second Bran took control and Hodor stopped shaking and crying and got up and took the sleigh down the hall.

Yes, this is the "slap a horse" start that the actor is talking about.

Afterwards his conscious goes back to the past, we know this because we literally see it, he is still experiencing the past completely oblivious to what's happening in the present, but what he did connected past and current hodor mentally, and causes him to collapse and create... well, hodor.

For Bran to be directly responsible his consciousness must split in two and be able to experience two completely different scenarios, both with completely different feelings, and be able to control both with the same "metaconciousness" for lack of a better word, nothing points out to this.

Bran isn't warging into Hodor at this point, Bran made Hodor warg into himself without meaning it and fried his brain, and he has to watch this while being completely helpless about the situation.

Started a re-read after this last episode -- I just had to. Two things:

1. Guess who gets the first chapter after the prologue. LOOK!

2. Bran totally time warp warged into that mother wolf to go get south of the wall and get stabbed by the stag to try and warn the whole family, didn't he?

......damn. that makes too much sense

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm wondering if this time travel stuff might end up similarly to the themes played out in Babylon 5. Those of you who watched it know what I'm talking about.

Those of you who haven't watched it...go watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom