• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lulz that final scene was terrible. Imagine being in the back of the army stuck behind those mountains hearing all these people cheer and wonder what the fuck was going on.

Apt101

I enjoyed this ep. They're lining up all the pieces to meet and face the dead. I just can't get over how Clarke basically barks lines while the music swells but can't act well enough to give it any impact. Reciting lines.

Lothar

Banned
That is so dumb that they didn't have Jaime split with Cersei. Why?

Only parts I really cared about were the Sam/Gilly scenes. Kind of bored with the rest.

They treated Benjen showing his face as a nothing moment.

Solid episode. I enjoy the show getting completely beyond some book points now like with Tommen/Margaery, Bran and Benjen/Coldhands and Sam/Gilly.

All that said, as cool as Drogon and the dragons look, I cannot stand Dany. Just as a character she is so incredibly boring and dreadful. In a story and world where absolutely terrible things befall so many characters, here you have Dany flying around on a fucking Dragon, conquering whole barbarian tribes by tipping over lamps and walking out unscathed because she's magical. It's a bit less in the books as you have her screwing up the whole ruling Mereen thing, which apparently isn't a big deal anymore in the show I guess as she's just going back to full time conqueror now?

Dany getting a complete free pass on just about any real hardship and loss makes her plots/ story arcs feel completely incongruous to just about everything else going on in the show. She was interesting in the first season but since then her plot armor via the dragons feels so damn strong that she winds up being a terribly boring character. To a lesser extent I think Brienne has fallen into that trap too, where she's just riding a huge win streak right now that doesn't feel like it makes sense in a show where terrible things happen to everyone all the time and how people deal with all that is what makes things interesting.

Massa

Lulz that final scene was terrible. Imagine being in the back of the army stuck behind those mountains hearing all these people cheer and wonder what the fuck was going on.

She waited until they reached an area with perfect acoustics before summoning Drogon.

Matticers

I'm so damn tired of the epic Daenerys endings. It's just awful at this point. It's like they can't build her up without that sort of thing.

CoryCubed

I enjoyed this ep. They're lining up all the pieces to meet and face the dead. I just can't get over how Clarke basically barks lines while the music swells but can't act well enough to give it any impact. Reciting lines.

This was my problem with her in Terminator Genisys, she did not have the power and emotion behind her Linda Hamilton does.

Werd

I've got no problems with a solid set-up episode, but it figures I finally completely resist looking for spoilers or seeing them inadvertently and its for a relatively quiet episode.

Solid episode. I enjoy the show getting completely beyond some book points now like with Tommen/Margaery, Bran and Benjen/Coldhands and Sam/Gilly.

All that said, as cool as Drogon and the dragons look, I cannot stand Dany. Just as a character she is so incredibly boring and dreadful. In a story and world where absolutely terrible things befall so many characters, here you have Dany flying around on a fucking Dragon, conquering whole barbarian tribes by tipping over lamps and walking out unscathed because she's magical. It's a bit less in the books as you have her screwing up the whole ruling Mereen thing, which apparently isn't a big deal anymore in the show I guess.

Dany getting a complete free pass on just about any real hardship and loss makes her plots/ story arcs feel completely incongruous to just about everything else going on in the show.

In regards to her fucking up with Mereen, they sort of implied that with Dario's line about her not being made for ruling. Unfortunately show-watchers will never get to see the depths of incompetence we got to experience in the books.

Pennywise

So was that a deathless episode? When's the last time we had one of those in this show?
I'm glad about it.
It just wasn't necessary and since we had no Ramsay, the token kill wasn't there.

That was pretty boring. Like how High Sparrow played them all and the ending. Otherwise meh.

This better be the last time we Mr. Fat Pink Mast. I'm sick of that sideplot

I think the scene was fine, but I can hardly see how it's relevant with same being pretty far away from being an actual maester.
It was still far more enjoyable than the Dany ending.

High sparrow continued to be the weak part, along with Jamie...
Apart from that, it was a decent episode for me.
Benjen was an okay compromise and I really enjoyed those flashbacks.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
And holy hell is Arya fucked. Having the faceless men after you is about as bad a look as you could have.

Arya will be fine. Jaquen said that regardless a new face will be added. She'll kill Waif and Waif's face will be payment. Jaquen isn't going to hold a grudge.

Pelagic

Banned
btw still no "Promise me Ned" and the second half of Tower of Joy.

Goddamnit D & D how long are you going to torment us? Just show it already :-|

Can someone tell me what exactly Benjen says? I've watched it twice and can only catch every other word. We have to keep the volume down because of our little one, but he needs to spit the damn marbles out of his mouth.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Good:
  • Benjen is back and he's Coldhands! Plus we got an abbreviated version of his origins
  • Quick flashbacks to the Mad King. Wonder if we'll see an extended version of that later.
  • The play was great to watch. Plus Arya's plotline is being kicked into gear
  • Jaime, Cersei and the Tyrells got played hard. I'm expecting Cersei to so something stupid now
  • Jaime got kicked out of the Kingsguard! And now he's pissed at his only remaining child
  • Sam's scenes were great. Love his dad's actor. And I also loved Sam coming back to grab Gilly and the sword. Smartest and most genre savvy thing someone has done in this show.

Bad:
  • Jaime still loves Cersei. And is apparently okay with Cersei cheating.
  • Dany magically found Drogon and tamed him. Lame.
  • I get they are alternating between Essos and The North cliffhangers but this one with Dany was pretty lame and pointless. Felt like they just threw it in there because they had nothing else.

In regards to her fucking up with Mereen, they sort of implied that with Dario's line about her not being made for ruling. Unfortunately show-watchers will never get to see the depths of incompetence we got to experience in the books.

Heh, I'm not saying they needed to drag out her Meereen story in the show any longer like the books but its kind of silly how her whole time in Meereen trying to rule is basically admitted as being a wash? So why does she want to go back to Westeros then if she's kind of admitting she's a shitty ruler? So she can just fuck it up even more like she did Meereen and every other city she liberated?

I think that was an interesting idea to explore in the books (Dany being a poor ruler) even if it dragged on way too long but to make her character a little more interesting in the show they could have had her make some really bad calls. Instead they just had a bunch of dudes in gold masks run around killing people while she looked confused all the time.

clemenx

Banned
I liked Day scene and more Drogon is always awesome... either way it was only a couple of minutes and easily ignorable lol. I think she gets unfairly hated.

Barzul

How many Valyrian steel swords do we know of in circulation in the show? I count 4 Brienne's, Tommen's, Long Claw with Jon and now Heartsbane with Sam. Am I missing any? I think they're going to play a massive part moving forward.

This was damn good. Really nice after the fast-paced nature of episodes 4/5. Perfect platform from which the second half of the season can launch into the crazies.

devilhawk

All that said, as cool as Drogon and the dragons look, I cannot stand Dany. Just as a character she is so incredibly boring and dreadful. In a story and world where absolutely terrible things befall so many characters, here you have Dany flying around on a fucking Dragon, conquering whole barbarian tribes by tipping over lamps and walking out unscathed because she's magical. It's a bit less in the books as you have her screwing up the whole ruling Mereen thing, which apparently isn't a big deal anymore in the show I guess as she's just going back to full time conqueror now?

Dany getting a complete free pass on just about any real hardship and loss makes her plots/ story arcs feel completely incongruous to just about everything else going on in the show. She was interesting in the first season but since then her plot armor via the dragons feels so damn strong that she winds up being a terribly boring character. To a lesser extent I think Brienne has fallen into that trap too, where she's just riding a huge win streak right now that doesn't feel like it makes sense in a show where terrible things happen to everyone all the time and how people deal with all that is what makes things interesting.
As boring as it is, it is better than the books. Dany chapters are just hundreds of pages of "oh daario, oh daario..."

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
GREAT episode. We got Benjen/Coldhands. We got Dany riding Drogon and getting ready to give us what Khal Drogo promised us back in S1. We got Sam getting his own Valyrian sword! Arya's story taking a turn that is actually interesting! Sparrow outplaying everyone and Tommen going full team faith!
Me: I really hope Sam steals that sword.
*Sam steals the sword*
Me: Fuck yeah!
They should've conflated this with her killing the Khals.
For whatever reason that possibility came to mind.

Not surprised to see other people also thinking the ending was bad. Really good episode otherwise. Coldhands fight was great. Sam's scenes were all very well done. Happy to see the Riverurun story happening.

Pennywise

btw still no "Promise me Ned" and the second half of Tower of Joy.

Goddamnit D & D how long are you going to torment us? Just show it already :-|
It will come.
Just a bit later.

Is he out-out? Or just not the Lord Commander anymore?
Out.
They pulled a Barristan on Jamie.

Kevan playing the long game by getting Jaime out of the Kingsguard and at the head of a Lannister army.
Which is a shame. They add no meat to Kevan, and in case he will meet the same fate as in the books, nobody will even care.

Can't believe the entire season leak, was 100% on point so far.
Wonder what D&D think about it :x

X-Frame

Is it me or does Arya have too much plot armor right now to die from the Waif? Seems like a 100% certainty she'll kill the Waif or escape.

If she does die, then what? What was the point of all of her Braavos stuff? It's not like her death would contribute to the story at all really. Mostly everyone already thinks she is dead. Unless I am missing something?

Neifirst

Great transitional episode - visions of the Mad King and 'burn them all', Walder Frey, a return to the Riverlands, Edmure, Arya retrieving Needle, Oldtown soon (?). I'm really happy with the direction this season is taking and I hope it culminates in Lady Stoneheart appearing and the death of Ramsay.

CoolOff

How many Valyrian steel swords do we know of in circulation in the show? I count 4 Brienne's, Tommen's, Long Claw with Jon and now Heartsbane with Sam. Am I missing any? I think they're going to play a massive part moving forward.

Dawn is out there somewhere.

Not technically Valyrian steel though I think?

Is it me or does Arya have too much plot armor right now to die from the Waif? Seems like a 100% certainty she'll kill the Waif or escape.

If she does die, then what? What was the point of all of her Braavos stuff? It's not like her death would contribute to the story at all really. Mostly everyone already thinks she is dead. Unless I am missing something?
That's why the waif won't kill her. There's really no possibility of that happening, and even if it were she'd probably get magicked back to life or something.

Alright, so someone explain this to me: Margaery was all like "fuck the sparrow, loras we're going to get out of this" but then the sparrow gave a boss speech and Loras was really sad so she completely changed her outlook on life and gave herself to the Faith?

lol51

They can just kill her and take her face. Leave us questioning, is it Arya or is it faceless man using her face.

kirblar

Some of the early adaptation ??? moments are starting to make sense now.

Coldhands- because they don't want to give away the reveal
Riverlands- Jaime probably dead
Kingsmoot- I strongly suspect Eurrario is a book-only twist and they didn't know if they'd be using it Daario's such a superfluous character on the show now despite lots of early screentime, and that's probably why.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Arya kills the Waif and takes her face then kills "Jaqen".

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

There's no snow for Arya to die in in Braavos.

A lot of people hate Dany as a character, but I think you're supposed to.

I have a feeling she's being painted as a villain. Unleashing a massive army of dothraki onto Westeros is not something a good ruler would do.

Chase17

Alright, so someone explain this to me: Margaery was all like "fuck the sparrow, loras we're going to get out of this" but then the sparrow gave a boss speech and Loras was really sad so she completely changed her outlook on life and gave herself to the Faith?

Yeah I was wondering about this too

TheFatOne

Pretty boring episode. I'm just tired of the constantly setting things up. Every episode is like this. Constantly setting up plot points, and when they finally happen it's unsatisfying.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
At first I thought she was bullshitting Tommen. I guess sometime since the last scene with her the High Sparrow converted her over. Wasn't handled as well as Tommen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom