• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next episode:

- Waif tracks down Arya
- After giving her a stiff stick to the face, she leans down to cut it off of Arya
- Arya pulls out needle and runs Waif through
- Arya changes her face into Waif's and goes back to the temple
- Jaqen says "a girl has shrunk by like a foot or more" with a puzzled look on his face. Who are you really?
- Arya stabs him and says "no one. lol jk it's me, Arya. Arya Stark."

She's also really good at spotting a liar. No one has called out more of them.

Truth.

t1trDpL.jpg

Found on Reddit. Nice.

And then they realize they should be working together. Cue make-out scene where, for half a second, everyone thinks "This is pretty hot!" before recoiling in disgust when they remember Dany and Jon are cousins.

Sexy cousins.

Aunt and nephew and I doubt at the very least, Dany would have any hang up about it.

clemenx

Banned
I don't think Dany is a bad person.

She's just been put on a pedestal from birth. Made to believe by everyone she meets that her family were unjustly dethroned and that she is the rightful ruler of Westeros and the people would welcome her with open hands.

She's Moses without having to prove that she's Moses.

I mean, considering the only people she ever interacted with are batshit insane Viserys and the savage Dothraki she's made it out ok.

Gigglepoo

I've said it before but GRRM definitely seems like the petty type who will change the books now ONLY BECAUSE the show did some things first. Obviously some things will naturally be different but I have a feeling he's actively looking to change things he had originally planned for the sake of being different.

Which is a huge shame. But just me guessing.

I'd be surprised if he changed things he's already foreshadowed (like The Children creating White Walkers) but he might change other things. Who knows? It doesn't sound like he's watching the show anymore, though, or helping in its creation so maybe he doesn't even know.

His new Wind chapter is excellent, by the way.

Vespene

I think Arya is going to end up killing the Waif, then that would make her "ascend" thanks to some unestablished tradition among the faceless men. If you kill a faceless man, you earn the right to take his place among their ranks. So basically this accelerates her training and confirmation within the organization and puts her in position to accept her first real mission which probably would take her back to Westeros to kill a major character. I hope it's Dany.

Kozak

Banned
I mean, considering the only people she ever interacted with are batshit insane Viserys and the savage Dothraki she's made it out ok.

Well to be fair, the people they hid with while on the run would have fed it to her too.

And ye she's definitely made it out okay haha.

She has good values as well.

She's just hard to reason/compromise with. Her idea of making the world a better place is forcing her values on everyone straight away instead of over time.

edit:

I'd definitely label her as a "Good" Joffrey haha.

cj_iwakura

I'd be surprised if he changed things he's already foreshadowed (like The Children creating White Walkers) but he might change other things. Who knows? It doesn't sound like he's watching the show anymore, though, or helping in its creation so maybe he doesn't even know.

His new Wind chapter is excellent, by the way.

I'm not touching a chapter until it's out. I only take solace in knowing that(unless this season ends with snow falling), he's still somewhat ahead of the show.

Somewhat.

Do we have a new book thread? This new TWOW chapter has me going down a
Euron induced eldritch apocalypse
rabbit hole and don't wanna shit up this thread if it's frowned upon.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I've said it before but GRRM definitely seems like the petty type who will change the books now ONLY BECAUSE the show did some things first. Obviously some things will naturally be different but I have a feeling he's actively looking to change things he had originally planned for the sake of being different.

Which is a huge shame. But just me guessing.

GRRM has said before that he doesn't read fan theories because if he reads some that are right, his subconscious wants to change them.
So he's not really petty about it.. but may still change things around.

Finally had time to sit down and watch with the GF.

Fucking Benjen is Cold hands

People been wandering where he was for 20 years and we get the most anticlimactic reveal ever lol

Cmon at least give us the giant elk

Gigglepoo

Finally had time to sit down and watch with the GF.

Fucking Benjen is Cold hands

People been wandering where he was for 20 years and we get the most anticlimactic reveal ever lol

Cmon at least give us the giant elk

That's only a show truth. They're separate characters in the books. Also, Benjen needs moisturizer.

Also the show runners seem to have told distance and time to fuck off, if Jaime is already in the River lands next week. Guess he borrowed LFs teleportation machine.

Also I laughed when Daario stated that they needed 1000 ships. HOW CONVENIENT.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't get why so many people are saying Arya has no abilities.

There's literally nobody in the seven kingdoms who can take a stick to the face as well as her.
They are not in the seven kingdoms right now.

Moff

The Broken Man has to be The Hound right?
Or even Beric, who then resurrects Catelyn!

Boom, Hype

the "broken men" is a term from septon meribalds famous speech from AFFC.
but as so often, it probably refers to several characters, there are many broken characters in the show, bran for instance. but it's probably the hound, yeah.

bitbydeath

but as so often, it probably refers to several characters, there are many broken characters in the show, bran for instance. but it's probably the hound, yeah.

Bran is but a boy.

Holding steady onto hype

GRRM has said before that he doesn't read fan theories because if he reads some that are right, his subconscious wants to change them.
So he's not really petty about it.. but may still change things around.
well petty was harsh but I'm still right that he is the type to do that kinda stuff lol.

He should stick to what he always had planned even if the show comes dangerously close.

It's cute that we're talking like future books will ever come out.

Mirri maz durr was absolutely right about dany. Horde of killers comes and destroys your civilization and rapes and murders your people and you - and she's supposed to kiss dany's ass for turning her into a poorly treated slave? If maz didn't kill drogo on purpose she should have, and she should have killed dany too given the chance.

Yeah, I was always appreciated that old woman.

bengraven

Jon vs Dany would certainly create a lot of media buzz.

This is what I'm wondering.

What will the battles be like after this?

Jon/Blackfish/or Edmure vs. Lannisters
Dany/Dorne vs. Lannisters.
Dany/the South vs. Jon/DaNorf/Wildlings

I'm going to assume Dany is going to crush the Lannisters. Jon is going to unite with the Blackfish.
Blackfish is going to be like "yo you're the bastard, my sister hated you so fuck off" "hold up uncle" "oh hi Sansa" "Jon is actually the son of R+L" "ah but I still won't be lead by a bastard" "well fuck uncle, he's king in the north then" "not good enough" "well then fuck it, I'm marrying him" "I'll allow it" JONSA

Dany will ask for surrender from Jon. Jon will respond back "look I have no beef with you Anty" and "where are the last 23 years of birthday cards you were supposed to send me".

Dany will start marching to Da Norf. Jon will prepare to hold off Dany.

The Wall falls.

Dany and Jon will end up somehow striking up peace. Maybe Dany finally learns that the Starks weren't dicks.

Lots of death. Tyrion will be more obviously crippled and be given Casterly Rock. He will live his final years out a limping, broken but economical man as well as Warden of the West and Master of Coin. I picture him in the tall, long hallways of the Rock, alone, bearded, finished.

Jon is laid to rest beneath Winterfell beside his mother's crypt. We see statues with their direwolves being prepared for Robb, Bran, Rickon. We linger a moment on a giant statue with the label "Wyllas". We stop at Ned's statue. Winterfell theme plays. CREDITS.

TL;DR/actually serious version:

Dany will take the Iron Throne from the Lannisters. Jon will sue for peace, but be rejected by a power hungry Dany. Before the final war of unification the White Walkers will cross the Wall. The unified heroes of Westeros will destroy them, but at heavy costs. Sansa is Warden of the North and Dany is on the throne. Tyrion gets Casterly Rock.

Why do people think Coldhands and Benjen won't be the same person in the books? The book can still pull the children of the forest rescue as means to explain Benjen partial walker conversion and inability to cross the Wall.

Why do people think Coldhands and Benjen won't be the same person in the books? The book can still pull the children of the forest rescue as means to explain Benjen partial walker conversion and inability to cross the Wall.

In addition to Aiii's post, Leaf says that "they killed him long ago" when talking to Bran about him, and given that she's a few hundred years old it would be strange for her to describe a couple of years as "long ago".

In addition to Aiii's post, Leaf says that "they killed him long ago" when talking to Bran about him, and given that she's a few hundred years old it would be strange for her to describe a couple of years as "long ago".
Thank you both. If that's Martin saying it then that's the end of it. But Leaf's statement could still be read as Benjen being virtually killed since Coldhands is no longer his former self :p

subrock

Broken man? Loras.

Thank you both. If that's Martin saying it then that's the end of it. But Leaf's statement could still be read as Benjen being virtually killed since Coldhands is no longer his former self :p

I am starting to think in the books Coldhands and Benjen are both nights watch members killed by whitewalkers who are stopped from being converted by the COTF, and they just combined them in the show.

Or they are the same person and Leaf just lied so Bran wouldn't think it was his uncle.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

even to someone who is hundreds of years old, a couple years might be a long time for someone to be walking around after dying. and the "no" might just be nitpicking, meaning it's not benjen "anymore."

of course it's not certain coldhands is benjen, but he is still the most likely candidate. at least if you don't count "just some dude."

fuzzyset

Dani's show storyline seems to be going the way Alt-Shift-X theorized in his Quaithe vid. "To go forward you must go back" meaning that she needs to go back to her 'Fire and Blood' Targ roots. She will never be a peaceful ruler.

bremon

I look forward to Dany hopefully getting destroyed. Sick of amateur hour motivational speeches and stupid dragons.

Also glad that one day Walder Frey will be down on his luck and have to move to a different castle to take a low paying custodian job.

The brotherhood without banners name drop surely means stoneheart is going to be revealed? Especially since Benjen shows they aren't worried about bringing back characters more casual viewers (my girlfriend) have forgot about lol.

even to someone who is hundreds of years old, a couple years might be a long time for someone to be walking around after dying. and the "no" might just be nitpicking, meaning it's not benjen "anymore."

of course it's not certain coldhands is benjen, but he is still the most likely candidate. at least if you don't count "just some dude."

Seems like a strange choice of words for someone so old though. I wouldn't consider a few years to be a long time ago and I've only got 80-90 of them on Earth if I'm lucky.

Coldhands seems pretty far gone from Benjen (in the books), if they are the same person. I think if he is Benjen, and 'Benjen' is still his dominant personality, he would have revealed that to Bran. If he is Benjen but 'Coldhands' is now the dominant personality then I don't think it matters much in the grand scheme of things.

Azzanadra

I look forward to Dany hopefully getting destroyed. Sick of amateur hour motivational speeches and stupid dragons.

Also glad that one day Walder Frey will be down on his luck and have to move to a different castle to take a low paying custodian job.

The brotherhood without banners name drop surely means stoneheart is going to be revealed? Especially since Benjen shows they aren't worried about bringing back characters more casual viewers (my girlfriend) have forgot about lol.

Man I despise what they are doing with Dany. Practically forcing her down our throat. Do you remember how Jaime reacted Mace's speech? That's me whenever Dany opens her mouth, except the show sees to lose all self awareness at that point, cues in the epic music and plays it up as "awesome".

bremon

Especially since Drogon coming back was like "wait...smell that? Smells like dragon farts, hold up I think Drogon is 50' around the corner". Hopefully Drogon gets emo again when it's important and leaves her ass in the middle of a white walker army. Let's see if the unburnt is also the unfrozen. "Fire and blood maintains optimal body temperature at all times!"

Enosh

TL;DR/actually serious version:

Dany will take the Iron Throne from the Lannisters. Jon will sue for peace, but be rejected by a power hungry Dany. Before the final war of unification the White Walkers will cross the Wall. The unified heroes of Westeros will destroy them, but at heavy costs. Sansa is Warden of the North and Dany is on the throne. Tyrion gets Casterly Rock.
pretty much what I'm expecting too

Brakke

Banned
How do the people who don't like Lady Stoneheart as a character feel about Benjen coming back from the dead?

Benjen didn't died tho. Cat was clearly and unquestionably murdered to death on "screen" in both sources. Benjen just disappeared. P different situations.

But yeah. For a series renowned for killing significant characters, GRR got strangely reluctant to actually kill non-Dorne people to death in the last two books.

fuzzyset

How do the people who don't like Lady Stoneheart as a character feel about Benjen coming back from the dead?

WW come from living people (babies and Night King). He never died.

This just made me think: is WW-ism a disease like Greyscale? Seems like COTF prevented Benjen from fully turning like how Shireen was 'saved' from Greyscale. They both get weird scale-y things on their face. There's a strange duality there with Ice and Fire.

mantidor

I don't get the hate for Dany I love how flawed she is, many fan favorites are just as flawed if not more and don't get nearly the same hate.

It's straight out of some medieval trope b-movie scenario, "what if instead of the usual dragon lords in fantasy we have a teenage dragon lady that controls dragons, is beautiful, powerful and inspiring?", but then you add Martin grounding all of this in a real scenario, and suddenly the trope isn't that cute, it has its rough edges. It's what I love about these series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom