• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Kit Harrington is playing Jon Snow a bit like an injured athlete you know isn't going to win, like he's afraid to be "too" Jon. I'm not sure if I care for it all that much, but it does make sense in the context of the story.

kirblar

What are the chances Brianne and Jamie both make it out of the Riverlands alive?
I think Jamie's dead dead dead.
Kit Harrington is playing Jon Snow a bit like an injured athlete you know isn't going to win, like he's afraid to be "too" Jon. I'm not sure if I care for it all that much, but it does make sense in the context of the story.
Jon's having a midlife crisis in his mid-20s.

Who wants to bet that word gets out that Jon is a Targ and people want to dub him Jon Targaryan but after meeting with Dany and thinking she's good a person, when she asks him about being king he will proclaim that he will always be a Stark or something and back off from the frone.

Lothar

Banned
Those new pics have me lit.

Riverrun is gonna be sick.

I have a feeling Jaime's character is going to do a 180 after meeting with Brienne and thats where he becomes this good guy.

He's still in love with his sister and why would he ever break it off with her now?

Preston Jacobs met GRRM at Balticon and got some GoT/ASOIAF details from him

-LSH is cut from the show
-Arya and Gendry will meet again in the books
-We will see the Brave Companions again in the books

I'm glad about the first one. That would have been too much.
Just Jon coming back hurts the story a lot and didn't amount to much

kirblar

I think it's just her kids.

"Valonqur" is supposed to cause it, and she assumes it means Tyrion, but it really is probably a cute combo of Jamie refusing to help, Hound beating Gregor, and Tommen being an idiot. 3 "little brothers" for the price of 1 word!

bitbydeath

I have a feeling Jaime's character is going to do a 180 after meeting with Brienne and thats where he becomes this good guy.

Nah, shes taken.

cropped-tormund-and-brienne-630x383.jpg

Gigglepoo

They're popular characters and have redemption arcs, so pretty high.

I hope they don't decide to kill characters based on how popular they are.

In the books, I think Brianne will die in the Riverlands. Not sure how it'll play out in the show, especially if there's no Lady Stoneheart.

Previews and promo photos

I spy Glovers and Mormonts, but no Manderlys. The north isn't remembering enough.

They have been name dropped as much as any other Northern house this year and noted multiple times as having a significant sized force, so they must be coming into play.

Maybe Davos splits with Jon and Sansa to go to White Harbor after they visit a couple Houses in ep 7?

So many other small but great things were cut, so dammit, I want
Lord Manderly.

Also those Tormund pictures make me cackle EVERY TIME.

mantidor

They have been name dropped as much as any other Northern house this year and noted multiple times as having a significant sized force, so they must be coming into play.

Maybe Davos splits with Jon and Sansa to go to White Harbor after they visit a couple Houses in ep 7?

I don't think they'll split, they pointed out what a big deal it was to have both Jon and Sansa together to persuade the northerners.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Those new pics have me lit.

Riverrun is gonna be sick.

What are the chances Brianne and Jamie both make it out of the Riverlands alive?

They're popular characters and have redemption arcs, so pretty high.
Unless the show views Jamie as this season's Stannis.

Show Stannis diverted from book Stannis and instead became a tale of a man who sacrificed everything to accomplish his goal, only to become a scorned man in the process who lost it all. Stannis sacrificed his ideals and his daughter, only to lose his family, his army and, ultimately, his life. It was a classic tragic downfall story, even if book fans hated it.

Show Jaime, meanwhile, seems to be a man who rejected his own future in order to devote himself to his love (including his book character development, as people bemoan). Hence Jaime's tragic story is that he keeps devoting himself fully to his love, only to watch helplessly as he loses everything dear to him.

He obeys Cersei and goes to Dorne? He watches helplessly as his daughter dies in his arms.

He listens to Cersei about marching on the Faith? He watches helplessly as his own son takes away his beloved Kings Guard position.

He listens to Cersei and goes to retake the
Riverlands? He watches helplessly as....

Show Jaime is building a slow yet steady character arc. It's just a question whether his arc continues for the next season or two until he loses his love too (one way or another) or if he loses his life first. While I hope Jaime's popularity ensures that his arc goes on for another season, it's hard to ignore that he may be sacrificed to the God of Shocking Deaths this season. It would fit the same tragic character arc they used for Stannis.

Kozak

Banned
Unless the show views Jamie as this season's Stannis.

Show Stannis diverted from book Stannis and instead became a tale of a man who sacrificed everything to accomplish his goal, only to become a scorned man in the process who lost it all. Stannis sacrificed his ideals and his daughter, only to lose his family, his army and, ultimately, his life. It was a classic tragic downfall story, even if book fans hated it.

Show Jaime, meanwhile, seems to be a man who rejected his own future in order to devote himself to his love (including his book character development, as people bemoan). Hence Jaime's tragic story is that he keeps devoting himself fully to his love, only to watch helplessly as he loses everything dear to him.

He obeys Cersei and goes to Dorne? He watches helplessly as his daughter dies in his arms.

He listens to Cersei about marching on the Faith? He watches helplessly as his own son takes away his beloved Kings Guard position.

He listens to Cersei and goes to retake the
Riverlands? He watches helplessly as....

Show Jaime is building a slow yet steady character arc. It's just a question whether his arc continues for the next season or two until he loses his love too (one way or another) or if he loses his life first. While I hope Jaime's popularity ensures that his arc goes on for another season, it's hard to ignore that he may be sacrificed to the God of Shocking Deaths this season. It would fit the same tragic character arc they used for Stannis.

I really wouldn't mind if Jaime was sacrificed to the God of Shocking Deaths. It makes more sense than his character flipping back to realising his life is a mess.

They've wasted all the character building when he was with Brienne. Seriously...those episodes were so good.

edit:

I just get the impression from Edmure's reveal and the previews that they're going to adapt the book version of the Riverrun siege.

Lothar

Banned
That's the first person I've ever seen say Jaime still has an arc.

What arc? He didn't do anything wrong in listening to Cersei. It was the right thing to do in all three situations and Cersei is the better character for it. She was in the right for telling him to go to Dorne. Jaime was in the wrong for having for having a stupid plan and not protecting Myrcella enough. Cersei is the one that should be angry at Jaime and rethinking their relationship for failing to bring their daughter back home alive. The only problem with storming the faith is that Jaime should have done it as soon as he got home before Tommen got brainwashed. The Riverlands situation needs to be dealt with and if it goes like the books, him being there will save plenty of lives. It's a good thing that he goes there.

bengraven

So the Riverlands were important enough that DD had to put them on the show.

And it was important that both Brienne and Jaime are there, even if the show's reason is completely different than the books.

I wonder what's going to happen in the next Brienne/Jaime chapter of Winds of Winter.

It is impossible to look at this image without smiling. The shot composition is perfect, especially with Jon being utterly unaware of it.

Jaime at Riverrun looks like it'll follow the book. IMO it should do, since it's a good bit of character building for Jaime, Edmure and the Blackfish. The scene itself is very good and there's no reason that it couldn't be adapted for the show.

I think Jaime is likely to die fairly soon though. I don't see him being able to do much else that is useful.
I'm wondering if Brienne will kill him in a duel. It's clear they'll meet and I expect Brienne will feel honour-bound to not let the commander of her enemy's army walk away.
It could be a good scene, with Brienne realising that Jaimie can't fight with one hand and seeing that there is little honour killing him- but having to do it anyway.

The only reason Jamie is still needed is so someone can drag Bronn back into the show.

It is impossible to look at this image without smiling. The shot composition is perfect, especially with Jon being utterly unaware of it.

Jaime at Riverrun looks like it'll follow the book. IMO it should do, since it's a good bit of character building for Jaime, Edmure and the Blackfish. The scene itself is very good and there's no reason that it couldn't be adapted for the show.

I think Jaime is likely to die fairly soon though. I don't see him being able to do much else that is useful.
I'm wondering if Brienne will kill him in a duel. It's clear they'll meet and I expect Brienne will feel honour-bound to not let the commander of her enemy's army walk away.
It could be a good scene, with Brienne realising that Jaimie can't fight with one hand and seeing that there is little honour killing him- but having to do it anyway.

The only reason Jamie is still needed is so someone can drag Bronn back into the show.

I don't see Jamie dying yet or at all. Not sure where Show will go with him but I still expect something on the show to make Jamie stop supporting Cersei.

Betty

Banned
I don't see Jamie dying yet or at all. Not sure where Show will go with him but I still expect something on the show to make Jamie stop supporting Cersei.

I'm guessing something will happen with Tommen while he's away.

Maybe he opts to fight for the Sparrow in the trail by combat and Cersei has the mountain fight anwyay and kill her son knowing he'll die at some point anyway.

Jamie returns and get's super pissed.

bengraven

Fairly sure they'll fight each other. Seems an obvious thing to do though.

Both really have no where else to go story wise. Brienne is just protecting Sansa now and her story is going no where. Jaime is disgusted with the bullshit in KL.

I can see him killing Brienne and going back to Casterly Rock to retire.

SteveWD40

I'm guessing something will happen with Tommen while he's away.

Maybe he opts to fight for the Sparrow in the trail by combat and Cersei has the mountain fight anwyay and kill her son knowing he'll die at some point anyway.

Jamie returns and get's super pissed.

The Faith would never have Tommen fight for them, they will know he is useless. I am still betting on Cleganebowl since it seems to be setting up for that:

We know McChane is bringing back Sandor, and it seems they meet the BwB on the way somewhere, my guess is KL as they been summoned, the Faith knowing the "broken man" they harbour is a legendary fighter

Both really have no where else to go story wise. Brienne is just protecting Sansa now and her story is going no where. Jaime is disgusted with the bullshit in KL.

I can see him killing Brienne and going back to Casterly Rock to retire.

Brienne doesn't need to do much else. She can part of the North's kingsguard easily.

All really depends on how the Siege goes on the show. If it ends up being like the book (doubtful) or a battle where Blackfish dies (probably).

I do see Tommen dying by end of S6 in some way leading to complications between Jamie and Cersei.

CassSept

Winds of Winter must be the first fantasy book ever published as a collection of fucking secondhand con interview blog posts instead of an actual book.

Seriously find it suuuper weird he's already reading chapters out, like the book is partially "out there".

It's an absurd number of chapters for sure. That's the 10th chapter revealed of the book. ASOS had the most at 82 and AFFC the least at 46 (it's an outlier though as the other 3 books place within 70-75 chapters range). A fair guess would be GRRM had already revealed 1/7th of the book. That feels like quite a decent chunk of the book.

Jaime won't die at the hands of Brienne. I'm confident he'll either survive or choose to sacrifice himself to save someone he cares about. In the books his character has undergone a complete 180. He has one of the most satisfying and interesting character arcs in the entire series. The show still has time to salvage him as a character, but that obviously can't happen if he's dead. I have hope now that he's going to the Riverlands, hopefully they won't screw it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom