• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moff

I'm trying not to think the Arya scenes are deeper than what it was but that shit was way too suspicious for me.

Also the trailer shows:
The waif running and what I assume to be Arya, jumping over those steps. If she was actually so badly injured how the hell could she be sprinting and jumping over shit? Healing that quickly seems a bit off.

Idk. All I yearn for is the waif getting her ass handed to her somehow. :mad:

I read this crazy theory on reddit about Arya and the Waif but I'm going to spoiler tag it just in case:

Its a shot in the dark theory but I admit, that would be some mind blowing shit if true.

hmm, not a bad theory honestly

I keep remembering that maisie williams said she was in the trailer as someone else, both jaqen and the waif would qualify for that. actually, it pretty muchneeds to be one of those, I doubt arya will make it back to westeros this season.

Gigglepoo

I really wish I could buy into the clever theories people are coming up with to explain Arya's imminent escape, but I just don't have faith in the showrunners to be that creative. What are the most ingenious ideas that are original for the show? It seems as if everything that's come from the minds of D&D is incredibly straightforward.

duckroll

It's a bad theory because it presumes that the show can employ any sort of narrative language regardless of precedent. That's hardly the case because we know how the show is made, and we know the language the writers speak. It is a direct language, and they have taken pains to do everything in their power to make things clear and unconfusing for audiences. This is the same show that brought Benjen and the Hound back in roles where they could have remained vague like the books have, but instead chose to play it completely straight, even spelling out their names again just in case anyone forgot.

Gigglepoo

It's a bad theory because it presumes that the show can employ any sort of narrative language regardless of precedent. That's hardly the case because we know how the show is made, and we know the language the writers speak. It is a direct language, and they have taken pains to do everything in their power to make things clear and unconfusing for audiences. This is the same show that brought Benjen and the Hound back in roles where they could have remained vague like the books have, but instead chose to play it completely straight, even spelling out their names again just in case anyone forgot.

Exactly! The closest they get to writing in subterfuge is Margaery's storyline and they openly telegraph that more is going on under the surface. They don't want anyone watching to be confused for even a second.

Kain

That Arya theory is kind of cool, to be honest. That, or what if... Arya IS the Waif and he was chasing another girl wearing Arya's face? Like, she has actually become faceless and is now doing her duty? Nah, impossible.

OK, so great episode, I love talking when done right (talk no jutsu is a thing, you know?) and Olenna, the Blackfish and the lady Mormont were absolutely great.

The Hound thing seemed a bit overkill and not very well done in fact. I mean, they killed all those people in the span of what, 5 minutes? 10? An hour? He couldn't hear a thing? Eh, it was definetely not done right, but oh, well, he'll become a beast which is the intent, so all is good.

And thank god for no Dany.

Kain

Oh yes, Marg, I love her character. She is like a smaller, prettier, smarter version of Cersei and it looks like she has something up her sleeve. Great character there.

duckroll

The only Arya theory that seems remotely possible to me is that she lured the Waif out, and this is a set up to kill her and then escape. That's something the show -could- do because her entire arc is about learning about deception and how to set up the perfect kill. It would be implausible because Arya doesn't seem to have been a very good student, but it's still possible with some hand waving. The idea that they spent multiple seasons developing an arc where two characters are the same person, and left no obvious cues to that being the case, is... just not how the show is made.

Speevy

Banned
I find it less out of Arya's character that she would get stabbed than I find it out of the Waif's character that she would do such a bad job of it.

duckroll

We have to be getting LSH with all the hints recently. Or maybe that's my wishful thinking.

If they're doing LSH there's no way they would have had the Brotherhood return as a bunch of mindless thugs killing innocent people like that. The dream is dead. Let it go.

jett

D-Member
Can someone explain to me why did the brotherhood without banners massacre all those poor people? And how does the hound get from nowhere to fighting the mountain for the Super Cleganebowl?

Gigglepoo

If they're doing LSH there's no way they would have had the Brotherhood return as a bunch of mindless thugs killing innocent people like that. The dream is dead. Let it go.

It was so close! Because the Brotherhood is killing innocent people in a quest for Lady Stoneheart's vengeance. But, you know, Freys and whatnot, not just random people raising a house.

Can someone explain to me why did the brotherhood without banners massacre all those poor people? And how does the hound get from nowhere to fighting the mountain for the Super Cleganebowl?

They massacred those people to give The Hound a reason to leave. That's it. That's the reason. Just like Jon died to leave the Night's Watch. There's no much going on below the surface.

Moff

R'hllor is angry that his champion was killed, so he sends his minions to terrorize

Real Hero

Because the show doesn't do subtlety, they aren't going to dedicate screen time to showing the brotherhood descend from robin hood to bandits so having them slaughter the nicest man in westeros and his followers was the easiest to make the point

Lothar

Banned

They might if they no longer have Beric running things. Instead they're being run by a murderous zombie. It makes sense that the group would be more mindless.

I don't want LSH though.

Kain

Anyone else was hoping for aunt Genna to appear and smack some sense on Jaime? He needs it for sure.

Because all the Hound subplot is rushed. That or all those people were secretly Freys and we got LSH, yay!

As for the Cleganebowl... no idea, Brienne's teleporting machine must be nearby.

CloudWolf

Well, that's an awful waste of Ian McShane. He's such a great actor and they don't even give his character one full episode?

And hoping for Stoneheart will only lead to disappointment. I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that they have just given up on their mission and are now just a random bandit group that Sandor will kill. Beric and Thoros are probably dead, too.

Now that I think about it, the Brotherhood killing commoners like that completely goes against what Walder Frey was saying about them last week. He said they were rallying the commoners and raiding Frey supply lines. I wonder if we're just meant to think it was the Brotherhood when another group is actually responsible.

Brakke

Banned
So basically you want to get the scripts and outlines in advance so you can get the whole story before you see it play out? :D

This is basically the thesis statement of the whole thread lol. Everyone thinks they're the producer.

i thought it might be that "Ray" was a Frey soldier before becoming a septon and that's why he was the only one hanged. i just want LSH to happen so i'm trying to justify it.

I mean, that would do it. In their hype for Lady Stoneheart everyone's forgotten that's she's a vicious, evil bitch. She has no righteous cause, she's not out here for justice; all that drives her is blind retribution.

Well, that's an awful waste of Ian McShane. He's such a great actor and they don't even give his character one full episode?

And hoping for Stoneheart will only lead to disappointment. I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that they have just given up on their mission and are now robbing random people and that Sandor will kill them all.
That would certainly be the least interesting reason possible for the actions of the current BWB. So it's a certainty.

Speevy

Banned
Now that I think about it, the Brotherhood killing commoners like that completely goes against what Walder Frey was saying about them last week. He said they were rallying the commoners and raiding Frey supply lines. I wonder if we're just meant to think it was the Brotherhood when another group is actually responsible.

Or maybe Septon Neversaidhisname is a secret Frey.

Brakke

Banned

Why would you trust Walder Motherfucking Frey to even know if his smallfolk were getting murdered, much less care.

The one thing that did confuse me about the "Brotherhood" emissary is that one of them was wearing a Tower brooch on each shoulder; wouldn't that guy be a Frey?

Moff

well we knew in advance it was only one episode, which would have been perfectly fine if he actually got (some of) that monologue to give a lasting impression, but this way he felt just wasted

Then again, why marry Sansa? besides the shock value of the rape and torture of course, because the character didn't had enough of that already.

The wildings are the dealbreaker but Glover guy was hardly convinced before he confirmed the rumors. Again, the logic in-universe makes no sense. Sansa was important when the plot needed her to be important in order for her to have a hard time, now Sansa is not important because the plot needs her to not be important in order for her to have a hard time, again. It's dumb.

How many divisions does the Pope have? Its very difficult to claim that the Pope isn't an important figure in Italian society and yet Pius couldn't curtail Mussolini. Sansa has legitimizing value in the North but not enough to overcome fear of the Boltons and hatred of the wildlings.

Gigglepoo

I mean, that would do it. In their hype for Lady Stoneheart everyone's forgotten that's she's a vicious, evil bitch. She has no righteous cause, she's not out here for justice; all that drives her is blind retribution.

"Everyone's forgotten"? That's the entire point of Lady Stoneheart! She's vengeance gone wrong, an example of how vile it is for a person to live only to see the downfall of others. She's a pure villain who deeds are so disgusting that I was actually rooting for the Freys. That's why she's important. We root for characters like Arya and Sansa to get their revenge and Lady Stoneheart shows the dark side of that motivations.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Team Snow is probably still due some more Northern allies. We're obviously building up to the Manderly speech and I'm betting Ramsey does something fucked up to Rickon and convinces a bunch of Northern houses to bail on the "Mad Dog". Ramsey is going to create the same flaw as Stannis: piss off the North by being crazy and watching as his army bails on him in the final battle (well except for the Karstarks and Umbers who are just generic evil in the show).

Aurongel

Reddit synopsis strikes me as fake. They're usually pretty good about keeping things vague and that seems extremely direct in comparison.

munchie64

Lot's of legit points to Arya's storyline being as disappointingly straight forward as it seemed, but I gotta hold out hope they haven't completely fucked it up.

Anyone got that shot of Bear Island? That was fucking beautiful.

Speevy

Banned
Lot's of legit points to Arya's storyline being as disappointingly straight forward as it seemed, but I gotta hold out hope they haven't completely fucked it up.

Anyone got that shot of Bear Island? That was fucking beautiful.

A lot of their locations have been gorgeous.

I still want to live in Sam's house though, minus his father.

Why would you trust Walder Motherfucking Frey to even know if his smallfolk were getting murdered, much less care.

He would at least care that the Brotherhood is working with the smallfolk. I'm assuming it's making the lives of Frey soldiers pretty rough since they can't trust anyone.

The one thing that did confuse me about the "Brotherhood" emissary is that one of them was wearing a Tower brooch on each shoulder; wouldn't that guy be a Frey?

Probably stole it since they've been raiding Frey supplies.

duckroll

And hoping for Stoneheart will only lead to disappointment. I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that they have just given up on their mission and are now just a random bandit group that Sandor will kill. Beric and Thoros are probably dead, too.

A waste? He did get one "full" episode as much as any character could hope to get. The episode opened with him, and ended with him. Literally!

Kain

Fuck I was writing on another thread while browsing this one, and got them mixed and now I don't know what to say. Emmmm go Sandor!

Speevy

Banned
Ian Mcshane had more screen time than Aegon Targaryen, Wyman Manderly, Lady Stoneheart, and Victarion Greyjoy put together.

Brakke

Banned
House Manderly's been named at least once in every episode for the last three or so. Motherfuckers are teasing so hard.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Reddit synopsis strikes me as fake. They're usually pretty good about keeping things vague and that seems extremely direct in comparison.
It has to be fake:

Even if LSH happens, they wouldn't hint at it in the synopsis. Also she would have to be in the episode for 5 seconds to avoid Michelle Fairley getting added to the opening and spoiling it. So again, not something they would mention in a synopsis.

CloudWolf

A waste? He did get one "full" episode as much as any character could hope to get. The episode opened with him, and ended with him. Literally!

An Emmy-winning actor is literally just used as a tool to get Sandor back in the show. That's what I'd call a waste.

The first thing that jumped out at me was that they probably aren't big fans of the Faith. They don't really want competition on the "rounding people up and brainwashing them with religious fanaticism" front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom