• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say Tommen dies but wargs into Ser Pounce upon the point of death. He has to convince everyone that he's still Tommen.

Eventually everyone believes him and it becomes like a JRPG game where the king has been transformed into a cat.

Kickstart this I'm ready to donate.

That's actually what D&D are doing on purpose, as it seems to me. They know they were heavily criticized for regressing Sansa's character last year and for making her a victim again. So this season they made Jon look doubtful of himself again in order to contrast with Sansa who has finally come into her own, albeit a season too late. They're watering down Jon in order to prop Sansa's newfound strength up. It's pretty lame writing. They can make Sansa stronger and bolder without making Jon a wounded puppy

Yeah, for sure.

I want Sansa to kill someone already, honestly. No guts no glory kinda vibes.

Nodnol

I hope it's explored why the Brotherhood have turned into such dicks.

Weren't they born out of the cruelty of the war, and the common people being caught in the crossfire? They were opposed to exactly what happened this episode; I do hope the Hound confronts them and we get an idea of why they've possibly turned into what they hated in the first place. Beric might have given them a righteous vigor, but they always seemed to be better than "that".

Weren't they born out of the cruelty of the war, and the common people being caught in the crossfire? They were opposed to exactly what happened this episode; I do hope the Hound confronts them and we get an idea of why they've possibly turned into what they hated in the first place. Beric might have given them a righteous vigor, but they always seemed to be better than "that".

Beric sacrificed himself, in his absence, a new leader took his place. A cruel lady, said to have a heart made of stone.

It's not unprecedented. History is full of revolutionary armies rising up against injustice and atrocities, who themselves start carrying out what they're supposed to be standing against,

I get the sense that LSH's BWB is going down a similar path in the book, although not (yet) at the stage of murdering random groups of people.

dubq

An Emmy-winning actor is literally just used as a tool to get Sandor back in the show. That's what I'd call a waste.

McShane straight up said in an interview that he only took the role because it was one episode. Be thankful that you even got him at all.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

It's really not that surprising. Even when we last saw them their intentions were already becoming murkier as they were willing to sell Gendry and ransom Arya to fund their little war. And I'm sure their numbers have only swelled with thieves and murderers, looking for an excuse to pillage. Once Beric died or got resurrected enough to lose sight of his goal, there was nothing to stop the Brotherhood from losing all nobility. At this point they are just looking for excuses to kill and pillage, the excuse being Ray's past as a Lannister soldier.

Gigglepoo

What was even the point of being killed? It may as well just have been a grazed knee after olly tripped him up

All the talk that he was killed and brought back so he could leave the Night's Watch doesn't make sense anymore considering how no one seems to care about oaths anyway. The show hasn't justified Jon's death at all.

Massa

All the talk that he was killed and brought back so he could leave the Night's Watch doesn't make sense anymore considering how no one seems to care about oaths anyway. The show hasn't justified Jon's death at all.

Jon cares about oaths, it's the Stark weakness.

Minus_Me

Brienne 5 in A Feast for Crows is my favourite chapter in the series, and having it not play out on the show was a letdown.

Not that there was any chance it was going to happen anyway.

I mean, we definitely shouldn't have to fill this gap in for the show but wouldn't the easiest response from Jon be to have some sort of letter from the new Lord commander? Something as simple as "traitorous brothers made an attempt on the former lords life and after serving faithfully Jon has been relinquished of command and allowed out of the watch."

Just make it sound like they had thought of it ahead of time. There, at least he's legitimately let out of the watch.

That's actually what D&D are doing on purpose, as it seems to me. They know they were heavily criticized for regressing Sansa's character last year and for making her a victim again. So this season they made Jon look doubtful of himself again in order to contrast with Sansa who has finally come into her own, albeit a season too late. They're watering down Jon in order to prop Sansa's newfound strength up. It's pretty lame writing. They can make Sansa stronger and bolder without making Jon a wounded puppy

Jons always looked like a wounded puppy though. And it makes sense. From when the red head died, to almost losing castle black, to shooing his best friend hurley(..?), and finally being stabbed by his own subjects.

If I was killed Id be pretty depressed too

dubq

Jon cared about his oath. That was enough of a reason as any.

Massa

So Jon had to die to get out of his Night's Watch oath even though Edd doesn't buy the technicality and no one else even cares. Seems legit. Totally worth resurrecting a character for.

Why do you think Jon refused to become Jon Stark last season and take back his home?

This isn't a world where everyone cares about the vows, in fact where lead to believe that most people don't. Jon clearly does, they established that from season 1.

Lothar

Banned
The fact that Jon was ok with breaking his vow in the book when he got Ramsay's letter (and he would be a piece of shit if he didn't with his sibling being in danger since he was the only one in the position to help) makes his death and resurrection really stupid and pointless if it's not going to be addressed again.

EDIT -- Whatever. I seem to be the only person who seems to think the show didn't justify Jon's death.

No, you're right.

Real Hero

Jon was going to break his oath anyway and ride on winterfell before he died, in the books anyway I can't remember if he tried to to do it in the show

mantidor

Him leaving with his head held high doesn't have the same weight when Edd doesn't even buy Jon's reasoning. Jon is the only person who thinks he's legally out of his oath.

Edd is worried about white walkers and tries to reminds Jon of his vows so he won't leave but he quickly reminded him he was killed, Edd had no counter argument, as much as he doesn't want Jon to leave his reasoning is perfectly sound, he stopped arguing with Jon at that point.

NeoGiff

One word: cocksucker.

Ja2YfWB.gif

- IGN interview with Clive Russell
IGN: Have you been aware of how the Blackfish is such a big fan favorite and people have been excited for him to show up again on the series?

Russell: I kind of make the mistake when I got the part of looking on the net at what people were saying about it. It was very funny, because people were saying, "I know who could play it: Jeremy Irons!" "No, I know who could play it: David Bowie!" And it was basically [laughs], "Who the f--k is Clive Russell?" That was basically what was going on.

Again I made the mistake. After a couple of episodes, there was a very strong element that were affronted by the way I depicted the Blackfish, that he was not the avuncular family man, but was being portrayed -- they felt -- wrongly as a knucklehead, which I think partly missed the point. It's very interesting how passionately people get involved. At that point I cut out of it, because there's very little point in getting involved in all of this, but people are perfectly entitled to all their views. But I am aware that, for people who know the books and for people who follow very closely, he was much anticipated.
IGN: What are you most excited about in getting a chance to return to Game of Thrones?

Russell: The chance to, as it were, finish the story of Blackfish, or indicate where the Blackfish might go in the end. That's pretty satisfying, rather than the mystery of him going for a pee in the Red Wedding. We know what happened now. [laughs] "Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen, I'm just going to find a tree to pee on" is a funny line, but it's not the way you want to end your involvement in the series.

Cronen

This is just a question regarding speculation and lore, but I will spoiler it just in case:

If Tommen was to die, who would be in succession to the throne - in the Lannister's eyes? I'm guessing it would have been Marcella, but she is dead. Stannis and Shireen are also both dead. I am guessing that the Baratheon name would continue with Gendry, but even then, he is a bastard - unless he A) re-appeared after all that rowing, and B) was made legitimate heir of Robert? Otherwise, would it legitimately fall back to Daenerys?

Whilst I know bits and pieces from the books, I have only read the first one. I plan to read them all through at some point, but for now I only follow the show (and wikis).

This is just a question regarding speculation and lore, but I will spoiler it just in case:

If Tommen was to die, who would be in succession to the throne - in the Lannister's eyes? I'm guessing it would have been Marcella, but she is dead. Stannis and Shireen are also both dead. I am guessing that the Baratheon name would continue with Gendry, but even then, he is a bastard - unless he A) re-appeared after all that rowing, and B) was made legitimate heir of Robert? Otherwise, would it legitimately fall back to Daenerys?

Whilst I know bits and pieces from the books, I have only read the first one. I plan to read them all through at some point, but for now I only follow the show (and wikis).

Historically, that's when civil wars start, with odd cousins and the like claiming the throne. It'd certainly mix things up.

Speevy

Banned
Pretty weird that Tormund mentioned Jon died and Sansa didn't even flinch.

Davos has been named the official Stark spokesperson because of his acting ability.

I'm glad they didn't kill Davos instead of Mance. I'd hate to see Mance Rayder do all the speeches for the Starks. Or maybe I'd love it.

"I may be a wildlin', but I think he's the king in the north!"

Massa

EDIT -- Whatever. I seem to be the only person who seems to think the show didn't justify Jon's death.

FWIW I think his death wasn't handled in the best way possible either. Ending a book on a cliffhanger that everyone knows the outcome of, with interviews in the 5-6 year gap between books that basically go "wink-wink you don't think Jon is dead do you?", the mistake's already been made and I don't think there's any way to "save it", either in season 6 or in book 6.

That said, I do see why Jon is the only person that could unite the realms of men for the White Walker conflict. He can't do that without getting involved in the wars, and he can't do that as Lord Commander. He had to be a men of the Nigh's Watch to understand the threat, but he can't be one to face the threat. In that sense his death and resurrection make perfect sense.

KevinG

I'm going with the all out civil war idea.

Also, off topic, I like your avatar.

HAWDOKEN

Ayo...do we really know that the three men that attacked the show's version of the quiet isle were members of the BWB?

What if they were a play on the book plot with the remaining members of the Bloody Mummers?

Madness

An Emmy-winning actor is literally just used as a tool to get Sandor back in the show. That's what I'd call a waste.

He took the role because his daughter is a fan. He got to shoot in Belfast for 5 days and then got a wicked death. I don't think he would have done the role if it became some 10 part role. Besides, the last thing we need is more time given to throwaway characters. Sure a man of his acting calibre could have been utilized as another character but that didn't happen. So why be upset or call a guest spot a waste?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
It's a bad theory because it presumes that the show can employ any sort of narrative language regardless of precedent. That's hardly the case because we know how the show is made, and we know the language the writers speak. It is a direct language, and they have taken pains to do everything in their power to make things clear and unconfusing for audiences. This is the same show that brought Benjen and the Hound back in roles where they could have remained vague like the books have, but instead chose to play it completely straight, even spelling out their names again just in case anyone forgot.

benjen sure, but how could the hound have remained vague? having a huge dude with a bum leg and a hood wouldn't exactly cut it in a visual medium when it comes to vagueness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom