• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Don't forget this amazing piece of dialog.
9btep78.png

That has to be the fakest beard i ever saw

Speevy

Banned
Not great. Getting worried about this season.

I wouldn't be worried about the season. You should worry about the dialogue. The season is definitely going to be very badass if what I'm hearing is correct.

I just fear we'll never, ever have a return to season 4's quality.

Arkeband

Banned
Everything with Dorne was sloppy and dumb but what else is new.

Melisandre megaton though we all suspected that since her flashbacks in ADWD. The way it was shot was really well done, and they even featured the oils she threw into the tub to explain away that one scene where she was without her magic ruby in the tub w/ Selyse.

Very weak episode. Some of the Wall stuff was nice, and overall I liked the pacing of the episode even if I didn't like the scenes; didn't feel like a clip show, which some of the other premiers felt like.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I say Trystane was on the same boat and was staying on board to keep him safe considering Myrcella's death and he was painting the stones for her corpse. His cousins jumped on their own boat a day after he left and have been with him the entire time just waiting for the signal to kill him.

The Dorne stuff didn't bother me too much on first watch, but as I think about it more it's concerning. What was the point of any of it, including last season's nonsense? It actually brought the rest of the show way down.

RaidenXZ

And why was he painting those dumbass looking eye rocks they put on dead people?

This seems like a nail in the coffin for me. He was definitely painting those for Myrcella's funeral which he would be attending since he was on the boat with Jaime and co since it was the only boat that left Dorne, it was a Martell boat and it arrived in King's Landing. Plus Myrcella died out at sea so why go back to drop off the Trystane if his wife to be just died. He would make the journey with his men and his boat to KL still I'm sure for the funeral.

HawkeyeIC

I wouldn't be worried about the season. You should worry about the dialogue. The season is definitely going to be very badass if what I'm hearing is correct.

That's what I mean. I don't want to watch this show walking dead style where I have to fast forward through dialogue.

.JayZii

Banned
I say Trystane was on the same boat and was staying on board to keep him safe considering Myrcella's death and he was painting the stones for her corpse. His cousins jumped on their own boat a day after he left and have been with him the entire time just waiting for the signal to kill him.
Seems pretty obvious, right?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The Dorne stuff didn't bother me too much on first watch, but as I think about it more it's concerning. What was the point of any of it, including last season's nonsense? It actually brought the rest of the show way down.
To rally the Dornish to war.

Morts

Yeah, I don't get why people are so hung up on this.

Yoda

That episode was terrible. Drone needed to simply be cut after last season, now they've double downed on it... And my lord is the writer strike back? The dialogue was atrocious and lacking authenticity.

"We're gunna rape you!"

"No?"

"Uhh ok...?"

I'd say it was about on par with other season premieres. Not any more or less excited after seeing it.

Will be interesting to not know anything about the story beats.

.JayZii

Banned
Yeah, I don't get why people are so hung up on this.
Nerds are really good at honing in on details, but not so good at stringing ideas together from context.

Also, they're super literal, which is why I think many people are missing the point on the Melisandre scene. I guess we'll have to wait until next week to know for sure, though.

Yoda

How is Tristane not guarded/already a hostage btw? There is NO way they'd have left him with Dronish ppl.

hoos30

I think it is because Dorne had a lot of trouble last season. I said this earlier in the thread, but I think it still applies. Dorne could have been good, if there was more time to develop it. That's the true crime for it.
GRRM spent nearly a whole book on Dorne and it was still terrible. Good on D&D for recognizing their mistake and hitting the delete key as many times as necessary.

Season 4 was a very good overall season, but Season 2's Blackwater is still its best episode. Never leaving King's Landing for the entire length of the episode afforded it a level of focus that the show's format never allows otherwise.

Vespene

In the book Dany's whole problem has been not having a fleet to sail her army to Westeros. Meanwhile in the show, they establish that she does have a fleet parked in Meereen. I assume that during season 4 they said "fuck it" to the Greyjoy arc, which in the book it has always been assumed to be the plot device for Dany to obtain a fleet thanks to the Ironborn. I guess now they've decided to reintroduce that and thus burnt her fleet in order to make the Ironborn important again.

Game of Thrones Season Premiere Shocker: Actor Reveals Making of THAT Final Scene

I really hope that is the end of the Dorne filler. It's clear no one really gave a shit out it on the writing staff either. I'm just going to pretend the inconsistency with Mel is more to do with that crappy mirror showing us her true form and then after that going back to seeing her how she really looks without the glamour. Can't remember did she need to use an item in the books for when she did the glamour on Rattleshirt? IIRC Mance had an enchanted ruby or something.

So sloppy this show has become...

RaidenXZ

Nerds are really good at honing in on details, but not so good at stringing ideas together from context.

Also, they're super literal, which is why I think many people are missing the point on the Melisandre scene. I guess we'll have to wait until next week to know for sure, though.

It's not about stringing ideas together, its literally about the show makers making a huge mistake that doesn't make sense. Like they could've just dropped a line saying "He went back to Dorne" or "Obara and Nym joined up with us later". It's legit bad editing and writing on their part. Hate to see a big show like this screw up something so easily avoidable.

Plus, yes, I'm a huge GoT nerd and actually liked the Sunspear chapters with Arianne, Hotah and Doran, so it pains me to see it reduced to what the show is showing :/

bengraven

Loved: Sansa and Brienne part, Davos and Edd, Tyrion of course - but especially the oath scene. I got chills. Pod helping out was a great touch. Only complaint is that she didn't need Theon's permission.

Liked: the assassination scene. yes, I liked a Dorne thing. It was well shot, the build up was mostly unexpected. The last shot of Aria---I mean, Ellaria's back as they pull out and announce a matriarchal rule was actually pretty good to me. The ships burning were great.

Disliked: Sansa is dead - no kidding, she like five feet behind me. Come on Theon - at least put some distance between you and her. Cersei is probably emotionally exhausted but you'd think she would have just a tiny bit more left in her to react when Jaime is coming up in the funeral ship. I under stand she's probably dead emotionally by now, but she looks almost bored.

Strongly disliked: the Monty Python homage "Yes, yes, they built roads and gave us education, but what ELSE did they give us?" I think it was done fine, but the scene should have had more severity and that moment of levity kind of broke the tension they were building and because it was so ridiculous and slapstick it changed the tone of the entire scene

Also, the strangely unnecessary jab at Varys' missing cock.

It is super weird being surprised by this show.

I want to be, but honestly every move forward the show makes I start to wonder/doubt that George will go in that direction. We see plotlines going in 180 degree differences from the established books, so who knows if any of this is ever going to be in a book? Doran might die in his sleep or Brienne may never meet Sansa or Davos might never even get to the wall to help Jon Snow.

So other than some substantiating theories like that Mel had a glamour, the rest of the show is going to feel like someone drawing a nice interpretation of a painting while we wait for the artist to finish his actual painting.

Arkeband

Banned

What is the confusion surrounding her scene? I've seen some people interpret it as if she can't just put the choker back on and resume the glamour but that should be cleared up next episode if it's not obvious enough.

Game of Thrones Season Premiere Shocker: Actor Reveals Making of THAT Final Scene

I really hope that is the end of the Dorne filler. It's clear no one really gave a shit out it on the writing staff either. I'm just going to pretend the inconsistency with Mel is more to do with that crappy mirror showing us her true form and then after that going back to seeing her how she really looks without the glamour. Can't remember did she need to use an item in the books for when she did the glamour on Rattleshirt? IIRC Mance had an enchanted ruby or something.

So sloppy this show has become...
Yes, had a cuff or manacle with a gem in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom