• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Dorne now just a way for Cersei to screw up since the Tyrells are tied up? Or just a background situation forevermore?

What can they realistically do? Even if they wanted to attack KL they would have to travel through the Reach (or around, and the Reach has an awesome fleet), which has all of the armies. At least with Aegon's invasion and Euron's reaving and Sam's dad being in KL in the books the Tyrell response would be tempered, but there's no plausible way that Dorne does anything of note in the show.

Good luck getting a sand snake in the Small Council after you murdered your royal family Ellaria.

sasari

Bronn is definitely fine at the moment. I met Jerome Flynn Saturday and he said he enjoyed acting with
Pod
again!

I personally didn't mind Dorne at all. I was uncomfortable with it at first because it was something completely unexpected, but really, from what the Sand Snakes had been like before, this felt like the next logical step. If they were acting rebellious, them proceeding down that path makes tons of sense to me. I like the uncertainty this develops. I think everyone was assuming that Doran would be a big Dornish player, so I guess a lot of people are shocked and mildly disappointed with the fact that Ellaria and Sand Snakes are going to be the prominent Dornish instead.

No complaints with the rest really.

Reading the comments about the dislike for the Dorne scenes. Why the criticism?

The sand snakes are really really shitty and they're doubling down on them for whatever reason at the expense of whatever interesting or moderately important characters Dorne had.

Whatever, Books 4/5 were fucking awful and we're well on our way to more awful ASOIAF.

Vespene

Every time you're about to get raped by a barbarian, just say you are Khal Drogo's widow. It's cool, they'll just believe you. Kinda like a Jedi mind trick.

Iksenpets

Banned
The prosthetics guy for GoT said that they had something planned for season 4/5 and cut it then it finally happened in Season 6. This could be what he was talking about and that would mean they were planning for it since season 4.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this was it. It was originally planned for the season 4 bath scene, then bumped to season 5, and finally now.

Madness

I also don't get why it is called Dorne in the show and not Sunspear.

But that was probably my least liked season opener for game of thrones. Very poor writing compared to past seasons.

phaonaut

How is Mel going to get into the room? Are they using the necklace/hag to demonstrate the ability to change a persons appearance so she can sneak in?

Im SO glad the Sand Snakes have a harder approach this season. These were the bad bitches we were supposed to get last season and they dulled them down.

Fucking awesome premiere. Valar morguhlis.

The sand snakes are really really shitty and they're doubling down on them for whatever reason at the expense of whatever interesting or moderately important characters Dorne had.

Whatever, Books 4/5 were fucking awful and we're well on our way to more awful ASOIAF.

I quite liked books 4 and 5 and consider them to be better than A Clash of Kings. The bad stuff on the show is largely not GRRM's fault. It's a strange misinterpretation of the source material.

At worst books 4 and 5 are considered boring. The show isn't just boring. It plunges into "outright bad" fairly often now.

Boy is it funny watching people here bitch and seeing people hype in the no book thread.

Is it bitching or pointing out shitty writing and plot movement in a weak episode. With disappearing hounds, teleporting sand snakes and a ass backwards story line in Dorne developing, plus a necklace glamour plot hole with the Red Priestess.

What can they realistically do? Even if they wanted to attack KL they would have to travel through the Reach (or around, and the Reach has an awesome fleet), which has all of the armies. At least with Aegon's invasion and Euron's reaving and Sam's dad being in KL in the books the Tyrell response would be tempered, but there's no plausible way that Dorne does anything of note in the show.

Good luck getting a sand snake in the Small Council after you murdered your royal family Ellaria.
Watch them magically get to Storm's End. Hell they might be at the gates of KL by episode 9. Laughable.

Chris R

How is Mel going to get into the room? Are they using the necklace/hag to demonstrate the ability to change a persons appearance so she can sneak in?
No, all that scene was there for was to show there is more to her than meets the eye.

Fuck the bad pussy and everything about Dorne. Actually, everything South of the Neck was pretty rough this week. Better than last season, but that's not saying much.

Margery scene would probably work better with more content around it.

cj_iwakura

Is it bitching or pointing out shitty writing and plot movement in a weak episode. With disappearing hounds, teleporting sand snakes and a ass backwards story line in Dorne developing, plus a necklace glamour plot hole with the Red Priestess.

I enjoyed it, I think readers are too hungry for something to nitpick. The only WTF moment for me was Hotah and Doran's death, but I'm still intrigued.

I liked that scene, but it's pretty sad that Sansa got immediately downgraded from "about to become a player in the Game" back to "totally helpless and dependent on others" so quickly.

I feel like her encounter with Ramsay and LF's manipulations last season were her one final moment of struggle that truly taught her to trust no one and will cause her to come into her own. I'm sure we'll see more of that as the story progresses.

I personally didn't mind Dorne at all. I was uncomfortable with it at first because it was something completely unexpected, but really, from what the Sand Snakes had been like before, this felt like the next logical step. If they were acting rebellious, them proceeding down that path makes tons of sense to me. I like the uncertainty this develops. I think everyone was assuming that Doran would be a big Dornish player, so I guess a lot of people are shocked and mildly disappointed with the fact that Ellaria and Sand Snakes are going to be the prominent Dornish instead.

No complaints with the rest really.

Doran is written completely differently for one. He threw them in dungeons (miles away from each other) for the stunt they pulled in the book, and then keeps them separated after by giving them assignments all over the country. Here he forgives their treachery almost instantly and let's them continue plotting.

And as I posted above, Ellaria Sand taking control of Sunspear is a joke in the GoT universe as we know it. She's a bastard with no blood relation to the Martells (she wasn't even married to Oberyn) and a woman with zero combat experience. Why would anyone take her commands seriously? Especially after they find out she murdered the beloved crown prince of a thousand year old family? It would have made more sense to leave Arianne in the show of they were going to go this route, at least she has a legit claim to succession.

They've spent the better part of 3 seasons explaining to us why Ramsay can't just butcher and murder his way into being the Lord of the North (because the people are fiercely loyal), and then they throw that out the window for a couple of cheap deaths.

HvySky

So wait, what was even the point of the Dorne plot line in season 5? Outside of the Sand Snakes there's literally nothing left. I couldn't help but laugh during that scene if only because it rendered the entire thing completely pointless. I guess they'll wage war on King's Landing now? And get fucking curb stomped immediately?

cj_iwakura

Doran is written completely differently for one. He threw them in dungeons (miles away from each other) for the stunt they pulled in the book, and then keeps them separated after by giving them assignments all over the country. Here he forgives their treachery almost instantly and let's them continue plotting.

And as I posted above, Ellaria Sand taking control of Sunspear is a joke in the GoT universe as we know it. She's a bastard with no blood relation to the Martells (she wasn't even married to Oberyn) and a woman with zero combat experience. Why would anyone take her commands seriously? Especially after they find out she murdered the beloved crown prince of a thousand year old family? It would have made more sense to leave Arianne in the show of they were going to go this route, at least she has a legit claim to succession.

They've spent the better part of 3 seasons explaining to us why Ramsay can't just butcher and murder his way into being the Lord of the North (because the people are fiercely loyal), and then they throw that out the window for a couple of cheap deaths.

They're revenge hungry. I'm sure Doran has loyalists who won't be happy, though I doubt they'll have a role with his son dead.

More likely they just want to focus Dorne into one easy to follow faction for purposes of conflict with the Lannisters.

suzu

Im SO glad the Sand Snakes have a harder approach this season. These were the bad bitches we were supposed to get last season and they dulled them down.

Fucking awesome premiere. Valar morguhlis.

Meh. To avenge their kin, they killed their own kin. A guy who can barely walk and a teen boy who didn't even know what was going on.

And just like that, House Martell is gone. lol. Oberyn is turning in his grave.

I got that feeling but it was probably a red herring.

The prologue of aDoD was about a warg wildling surviving his death by taking over a person/animals.

Jon's final thought, as he dies was of Ghost.

Dying gets Jon out of all his oaths.

It's so not a red herring that this is how he comes back.

The prologue of aDoD was about a warg wildling surviving his death by taking over a person/animals.

Jon's final thought, as he dies was of Ghost.

Dying gets Jon out of all his oaths.

It's so not a red herring that this is how he comes back.

This is the show though. There's no saying that's how he comes back in the show.

NeoGiff

It's high time for a second Dorne gif. Enjoy.

wUPCnpJ.gif

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
They're revenge hungry. I'm sure Doran has loyalists who won't be happy, though I doubt they'll have a role with his son dead.

More likely they just want to focus Dorne into one easy to follow faction for purposes of conflict with the Lannisters.

That's what I'm thinking. They just want to position Dorne to where they'll openly revolt against the Lannisters when the time comes. Fuck all to whatever else is going on down there in the books.

Dysun

Pretty decent episode, but the Dorne stuff continues to be dogshit. I don't know how they came up with the idea to double-down on that trash instead of course correcting

Sean C

Brienne's vow to Sansa was amazing. I loved how Sansa stumbled through it. This is pretty much the first moment when she is in charge of someone.
I didn't care for that part. On its own, it's not like Sansa doesn't have reason to be discombobulated, but the show has basically never allowed her to make any use of her mastery of court etiquette, so it's annoying that when it's finally brought up, she flubs it. She also needs Theon to assent before accepting Brienne's fealty, apparently.

Anyway, storyline ratings:

1. Castle Black (A-)
2. Dothraki Sea (A-)
3. Winterfell and environs (B+)
4. King's Landing (B)
5. Meereen (B-)
6. Braavos (C+)
7. Dorne (F-)

cj_iwakura

I love how this is allowed on gaf. But a bit of nipple and your banned.

Well for one this is fake as hell... secondly I doubt you'd want to be browsing this thread at work anyway. :p I don't know what the stance is on gore gifs, though.

Haha, Tyrion's expression is delightful.

Iksenpets

Banned
How is positioning the sand snakes to be in an open revolt doing as little possible? If anything they gave more importance to the awful parts.

Especially if Nym and Obara are in King's Landing, as seems to be implied. If they wanted to sideline this plot, they would have had the Sand Snakes thrown in prison and left them there for a season.

at least the vfx are good?

This is kind of where I'm at with Dorne. No "bad pussy" level dialogue? No Water Gardens level fight choreography? Well that's an A+ scene by Dorne standards.

LJ11

Davos continues to be one of the better characters, Cunningham is fantastic.

I totally forgot about the fucking dogs, that scene was so ridiculous that I completely forgot they were even there. Guess they saw Pod and thought better of it. LOL

Brakke

Banned
Lol why have Doran walk if you're hustling to stab him a minute later. I guess we want to remind people that he's infirm and a shit adventurer? Fine tho. He didn't have anything important to do (since Dorne doesn't have anything at all to do...). It's getting kind of conspicuous how many powers in this world are going Matriarchal tho, not sure what I think about that yet.

Davis stays charming and great, I just wish they'd put a wiggle on it up there. Standing sentinel for Jon is fine and good but let's just stop fucking around and bring him back.

I really like the Jaime-Cersei power couple thing. Even tho I like regretful introspective book Jaime a lot, the fire and the fury Jaime works for me, too.

Disappointed about no Tower of Joy but Bran was in the preview so maybe it's next week?

Really tho I just want Tyrion and Varys strolling around town all episode long from here until TWOW releases (so forever).

The scene with Mel is very interesting...

Yeah kind of weird as the ending tho. We already know Mel is some kinds of fucked up.

I think even the show runners forgot the reason Dorne hates the Lannisters to begin with was because of the death of a Dornish princess. Whose brother and nephew they just slaughtered. They were the least interesting characters from that whole plotline (well, not counting Quentyn lol). Now elevated to...well I don't know exactly.

Doran revealing that his machinations had been going on for decades was a much bigger deal, and his plans for subtly taking apart the Lannisters were a lot more intriguing than Ellaria's frankly unrealistic "I'm from Sunspear and I say we kill them all!" bravado that has no military backing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom