• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdstorm

Banned
I like how GoT changed from an "anyone can die" show to only using death as a way to get rid of characters who are no longer relevant

In all fairness game of thrones always did that. It's just the characters who were going to be relevant were less obvious

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The Dorne stuff didn't bother me too much on first watch, but as I think about it more it's concerning. What was the point of any of it, including last season's nonsense? It actually brought the rest of the show way down.

Wipe out the 2nd child and create another army that wants to kill the King/Lannisters.

Could have made it quicker by just letting the "Sand Snakes" kill her in the garden like they were going to, and let Jamie sneak back out and back home.

TTG

Way too much menial, moving the story arcs along content for a season premiere. I was excited to see what they would do now that the books are essentially through, but there was nothing surprising, at all.

Someone tell me the plan isn't for Danny to spend the whole season trekking back to the widow's tent before being rescued in like the penultimate episode. That would be a real cheap shot for those of us who read the books. You thought Tyrion's journey was tedious and slow? Just you wait!

Brienne's vow to Sansa was amazing. I loved how Sansa stumbled through it. This is pretty much the first moment when she is in charge of someone.

I liked that scene, but it's pretty sad that Sansa got immediately downgraded from "about to become a player in the Game" back to "totally helpless and dependent on others" so quickly.

Catdaddy

Don't forget this amazing piece of dialog.
9btep78.png

And grandma showed up at the end of the show... Shining flashback...

bengraven

Brienne's vow to Sansa was amazing. I loved how Sansa stumbled through it. This is pretty much the first moment when she is in charge of someone.

I honestly thought it was beautiful and poetic. She is now taking her mother's place in the world symbolically. And everyone involved took it seriously, this isn't some random crazy woman with a sword proposing servitude to some crazy whiny kid. It was solemn and fantastically done.

Say what you will about this show, but they do ceremony fantastic.

I'm sure we'll get more Dorne, I just don't like the direction. Still I'm curious what the next move is. Without Doran's caution the obvious next step is an invasion of the marches and the Reach. Perhaps that will replace Aegon? Let's say Dorne's army magically gets to Storm's End, then the Tyrells will be forced to deal with it. Tarly is in this season so I'm guessing he'll face off with them while Mace stays in KL to free his daughter.

But who will Dorne support as king, or will this invasion just be about revenge with no end game?

jdstorm

Banned
I'm sure we'll get more Dorne, I just don't like the direction. Still I'm curious what the next move is. Without Doran's caution the obvious next step is an invasion of the marches and the Reach. Perhaps that will replace Aegon? Let's say Dorne's army magically gets to Storm's End, then the Tyrells will be forced to deal with it. Tarly is in this season so I'm guessing he'll face off with them while Mace stays in KL to free his daughter.

But who will Dorne support as king, or will this invasion just be about revenge with no end game?

The end game is probably that everyone dies, so I'm not sure it matters why dorne invades

Iksenpets

Banned
So I had the Dornestiff spoiled for me, and Doran totally takes the cake for character most screwed over by this adaptation. The whole plot is wildly unhinged from its book counterpart.

BUT, actually watching it, despite how disappointed I am that the book Dorne plot is not being adapted at all, I'm not even that mad, because that scene was actually totally better than anything they shot for Dorne in season 5.

Other than that, everything was solid. Edd will bring the wildlings and it looks like we get a Castle Black fight next ep, burning the ships sets up the Yara plot (though it's funny they're having to burn off the plot element they specifically introduced to get around doing the Greyjoy plot), and from the preview
it looks like they're setting up Brienne going to the Riverlands to find Arya. Probably good that it's happening so early in the season, so they can spend plenty of time there.

Only thing I'm not clear on, are Nym and Obara in King's Landing now? Like did they swim to the boat, alternate costumes in waterproof bags, and slip on board to kill Trystane? Or did Trystane somehow get on a separate boat and sail back? I have no idea.

jaekeem

What example do you have for this?

It seems much more like the show's casual jettisoning of barristan, not like anything from the books.

ned, the height of honor and integrity, getting his head chopped off in front of a crowd at a boy's whim?

quentyn, whom sailed across an ocean seeking marriage and ideals, getting burned to a crisp?

robb, king in the north, whom ends up betrayed at a feast and getting his head cut off and sown on grey wind?

tywin, probably the most powerful man in the kingdom, dies to a crossbow from his midget deformed son, while taking a shit?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

I'm imagining that Dorne will be of a similar ideology as Robb Stark. War for revenge (though not to rescue hostages) and be done with it, go independent.

The end game is probably that everyone dies, so I'm not sure it matters why dorne invades

Also true. They've long passed the moment of no return.

UraMallas

Cool theory from Reddit:

Of course, this makes all the more fascinating the show episode (S4E7) where Melisandre is taking a bath without her ruby choker. This scene was not in the books, many wondered if D&D had messed up, but I think the omission was quite deliberate.
The only person to see her like this is Stannis wife Selyse. Selyse has this strange expression the entire time. Like she cannot look directly at Melisandre yet also cannot look away. At first you think it is that of a religious "uptight" person seeing a naked and very sexual woman. But if you rewatch the scene , and "pretend" to yourself that Selyse is seeing Melisandre as she actually appears, it actually fits better. WE still see the seductress, Selyse sees the hag. She is horrified yet fascinated and not at all shocked. She knew all along (just like she knows the true fate of her daughter), Melisandre explains she does not need to use her "tricks" on the true convert (Stannis is NOT a true convert but his wife is) .
When Melisandre explains about her potions, and the potion that makes it so no man can resist her sexually, Selyse almost nods with relief. Did she use this on Stannis? (It would explain so much! she thinks as she stares in horror at the hags body, which still looks very alluring to the viewers.) "I didn't have to," Mel replies. Selyse actually shudders at this thought.
Anyway -- sorry if that was offtopic -- I think the ruby choker is what we might call a "foci" for Mel's magic, including her glamors but also much more. It purified the poison by via a magical means ("burn away").
Rewatch the scene where she takes her bath without the ruby choker, and this time, picture Selyse seeing the hag in its true form but still its obedient servant.
"If they are lies milady, aren't they best avoided?" Selyse refers to Melisandre's illusion of a sexual temptress. "Not always," Mel replies. When she discusses "the trick that led them to the truth," she is talking to Selyse as someone who has crossed over that line, into the true believer camp. She does not need to use ruby chokers with Selyse.
I think it's clear the missing choker in the bathe scene, was not an oversight but instead was a clue for us. Mel uses tricks with most, she uses none with Selyse. It also means that Selyse is not acting under any charms, any illusions, any "ruby choker" magic mind tricks, when she agrees to take her daughter to the Wall. She already knows the truth.
She has already seen the hag for what it is, and she thanks The Lord of Light for sending Melisandre to them.

Someone in the 'No Spoilers' thread then mentions that:

And think of it this way:

In Season 4, we the viewer couldn't see the hag because we weren't true converts. But now, we're desperate for The Red Woman's magic to be real, desperate to understand and know the power of The Lord of Light, desperate for those things to bring Jon back, that we've become true converts and can now see the hag when the necklace is removed.

Pretty neat.

Tyreny

I haven't been paying attention to any "leaks" and whatnot but I have a theory about episode 3. It's titled oathbreaker, right? So I'm thinking that's when Jon is brought back to life then. My reason being is that his oath to the watch is broken now that he is dead.

If this has been discussed already...my bad lol.

I would think it more to do with Brienne's story, given that her sword is called Oathkeeper.

I say Trystane was on the same boat and was staying on board to keep him safe considering Myrcella's death and he was painting the stones for her corpse. His cousins jumped on their own boat a day after he left and have been with him the entire time just waiting for the signal to kill him.

Seems pretty obvious, right?

I think they would have noticed two armed stowaways on a what, 50 foot boat? For weeks? With Bronn and Jaime on board?

If they took their own boat and just snuck on right that second, there's the logistical problem of hey they just snuck onto a boat in the middle of KL that had the head of Kingsguard on it.

And why would Trystane be living on a boat? One, he's a noble, and normal circumstance would have him staying in a pampered room in the royal court. Since these weren't normal circumstances, nothing in this world would have protected Trystane from Cersei's wrath, which is why it was a common complaint last season that it was idiotic to allow Trystane to leave if they were planning on assassinating his fiancé. Cersei would have dragged him off the boat and strung him up by his balls, international incident be damned.

Ironically it would have been a clever twist if Cersei's wrath was part of the plan all along; but nothing D&D have written for Dorne has shown that level of foresight.

Nerds are really good at honing in on details, but not so good at stringing ideas together from context.

Also, they're super literal, which is why I think many people are missing the point on the Melisandre scene. I guess we'll have to wait until next week to know for sure, though.

What is the secret point? That she possibly did the book Mance switcheroo on Jon?

UraMallas

That makes a lot of sense.

Still the better theory: They fucked up.

It isn't like the reveal is particularly interesting or changes anything. So she is really an old lady. Meh.

We don't know that and it also doesn't change how neat the theory is. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and use it as headcannon.

ned, the height of honor and integrity, getting his head chopped off in front of a crowd at a boy's whim?

quentyn, whom sailed across an ocean seeking marriage and ideals, getting burned to a crisp?

robb, king in the north, whom ends up betrayed at a feast and getting his head cut off and sown on grey wind?

tywin, probably the most powerful man in the kingdom, dies to a crossbow from his midget deformed son, while taking a shit?
All with detailed setup, emotional payoff, and deep plot reasons. Not getting shanked in an alley unceremoniously. None of those is like hotah or barristan at all.

jaekeem

All with detailed setup, emotional payoff, and deep plot reasons. Not getting shanked in an alley unceremoniously. None of those is like hotah or barristan at all.

I mean Hotah isn't really a detailed character...he's just a glorified bodyguard, even in the books.

B33

Banned
That makes a lot of sense.

Still the better theory: They fucked up.

It isn't like the reveal is particularly interesting or changes anything. So she is really an old lady. Meh.

It's a big deal because it reveals a major thing about Melisandre's character and sets up what will likely be Jon's resurrection.

If D&D have Martin's outline of the series (which they do) and this wasn't part of Martin's plan, it's likely that they wouldn't have put the scene in the series, although perhaps they did "mess up." We'll find out with the subsequent episodes.

Of course, Martin could very well make changes to this outline and we'll never really know. The series and the books have a weird symbiotic relationship at this point, and D&D are ultimately taking the broad strokes and doing their own thing since they don't have finished books to adapt for the remainder of the series.

I like the Melisandre theory and I'm sure D&D will latch on to it but I don't believe it. IIRC Selyse's demeanor in that scene seemed envious, ashamed, and perhaps even lustful. More apt to believe it's them fucking up, just like the two sand snakes magically appearing on a boat that set sail while they were on the docks.

Another example of them writing to get to an end point. The "how" doesn't matter. Stannis needs to lose so...20 good men.

Gattsu25

Banned
Or

The necklace isn't what makes Melisandre look the way she does, but Melisandre.

She takes off the choker, consciously severing her tie to the lord of light as she does, and then removes the glamour that makes her look like a younger woman.

The entire thing is stupid, either way.

It was treated like an earth shattering revelation when it wasn't.

Regarding the rest of the episode, I want to see more of the season before I really weigh in. The premier was slow, and some of the scenes were bad (Dorn scenes in particular) but I want to see where the show ends up going.

Oh well, It's a shame that D&D's writing is my introduction to all this new material.

B33

Banned
I don't sense that at all rewatching the scene.

And there's no way tv writers knew what they were going to do 2 years in the future. That's giving then way too much credit.

They know Martin's outline for the books, which is of course subject to change depending on what Martin decides to do with The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.

If Melisandre's true form is from Martin's outline, they likely knew about it two years ago.

The prosthetics guy for GoT said that they had something planned for season 4/5 and cut it then it finally happened in Season 6. This could be what he was talking about and that would mean they were planning for it since season 4.

Wasn't it like one chapter though?

What has he done besides killing that one kingsguard in the books?
I don't think you really understood my responses. My point, and it's pretty demonstrably true IMO, is that this is typical of the show's poor writing and lack of depth, and the comparisons you made are really not apt. If they were, you could reduce anyone dying for any reason to "that's germ style". Let's just agree to disagree.

Wasn't it like one chapter though?

What has he done besides killing that one kingsguard in the books?

The whole point of Hotah being Doran's personal bodyguard is that no one would ever be able to get close enough to Doran to assassinate him. Especially the sand snakes. In his POV chapter he tenses up to swing at one of them for walking in the room with a bad attitude. He doesn't fuck around because that's his job, he's like secret service or kingsguard.

The moment Ellaria pulled a knife, she would have lost a hand. He certainly wouldn't have allowed himself to be flanked and shanked while on the job.

B33

Banned
The whole point of Hotah being Doran's personal bodyguard is that no one would ever be able to get close enough to Doran to assassinate him. Especially the sand snakes. In his POV chapter he tenses up to swing at one of them for walking in the room with a bad attitude. He doesn't fuck around because that's his job, he's like secret service or kingsguard.

The moment Ellaria pulled a knife, she would have lost a hand. He certainly wouldn't have allowed himself to be flanked and shanked while on the job.

It's unfortunate that nuance like this is inevitably lost when the material is adapted into 10 hours per season.

The Dorne stuff is by far the weakest parts of the television series.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Is Dorne now just a way for Cersei to screw up since the Tyrells are tied up? Or just a background situation forevermore?

Massa

But that POV chapter and therefore that character don't exist in the TV show.

Pkaz01

ending reminded me of season 3 where arya meets Mel and doesnt understand whats so special about her and calls her a witch.

And its true, books 4 and 5 were terrible outside of Jon, Arya, and Davos. All of those storylines are still good in the show. Its the shitty ones that still suck.

Guys, D&D doesn't have to rely on the necklace to store Mel's magic power, it's just a neat plot device they decided to use. D&D could have made the hot Mel drink a very fancy potion and turn into the granny Mel. The fact that Mel was not wearing the necklace in the tub 2 seasons ago is a very minor plothole IMO. Killing the Dorne kid in the boat is a biiger plothole.

B33

Banned
But that POV chapter and therefore that character don't exist in the TV show.

The inherent problem with Dorne is that we really aren't given a POV character in the series that represents that part of the world for the viewer. It's mentioned in passing when Myrcella is sent there by Tyrion through an arranged wedding in Season 2, and we get to know Oberyn Martell in Season 4, and that's it.

Guys, D&D doesn't have to rely on the necklace to store Mel's magic power, it's just a neat plot device they decided to use. D&D could have made the hot Mel drink a very fancy potion and turn into the granny Mel. The fact that Mel was not wearing the necklace in the tub 2 seasons ago is a very minor plothole IMO. Killing the Dorne kid in the boat is a biiger plothole.
It could very well be from Martin's outline for the books, which they know.

Chase17

Took a full season but we finally got some sort of reference to the Cerscei flashback. Although the daughters death could be considered one.

I suppose it was put in as the opening S5 to set the seed for the audience to be somewhat sorry for Cerscei though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom