• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I wonder how much influence Kevan has over Tommen. He seems to want Cersei as far away from her son as possible. Maybe he's trying to do his best to clean up her mess.

FootballFan

the hound scenes were great
everything else was season 5 level, this season has been better than s5 but it really does not take much to beat that one, at this point it is barely superior. barely

episode 9 and 10 will at least improve the ratio of good vs bad episodes for the season

Saya

I wonder how much influence Kevan has over Tommen. He seems to want Cersei as far away from her son as possible. Maybe he's trying to do his best to clean up her mess.

Cersei will have her revenge. I'm thinking that instead of Varys' little birds, Qyburn's little birds will stab him to death instead.

emag

Now that RR is hilariously over, can we talk about how fucking nonsensical Sansa's plan with Brienne here was? Like did she expect her outlaw uncle to actually be able to help her when he would have Lannisters and Freys literally nipping at his front door? How exactly was he ever going to be in a position to help out the Starks way the hell up North?

By following through on Brienne's plan. The Blackfish would abandon Riverrun in exchange for safe passage to the north. Sansa underestimated his stubbornness, but it was worth a try, right?

Now that RR is hilariously over, can we talk about how fucking nonsensical Sansa's plan with Brienne here was? Like did she expect her outlaw uncle to actually be able to help her when he would have Lannisters and Freys literally nipping at his front door? How exactly was he ever going to be in a position to help out the Starks way the hell up North?

What a waste of Blackfish if he's dead dead too. Still holding out hope for salvaging RR if we get a Lady Stoneheart planning and executing Freys and Lannisters in her home later on. This seemed to be where the books were leading to and I hope we get to see this plot confirmed on the show.

Sansa doesn't know Blackfish that well. It was worth a shot, she didn't know there was a siege with Lannister army there. All she heard is that the castle was retaken.

Iksenpets

Banned
By following through on Brienne's plan. The Blackfish would abandon Riverrun in exchange for safe passage to the north. Sansa underestimated his stubbornness, but it was worth a try, right?

Plus, Sansa's forces completely lack any experienced commanders. All the have is Jon, whose experiences in war with wildlings and White Walkers probably don't really map onto battle against Ramsay. Blackfish would've been super valuable! But they just gloss over that because they don't want to deal with another character.

which it is the rumor that Cersei mentioned??

I would virtually guarantee you it's a wildfire cache under the sept.

Pkaz01

Doesn't everyone have a teleporter?

To be fair, Arya and Sam's plots haven't been tied to anyone else's this season, so there're no actual synchronization points (except possibly the arrival of the Iron Isles fleet?).

yup every since the play in episode 4 or 5 it looks like its been a week or something as far as time that has passed, whereas jon and sansa have been visiting northern houses and amassing an army that has to have taken longer than that.

dabig2

Yeah, Blackfish is a great legend but 1 guy compared to an army? They would be just as outnumbered and fucked with the Blackfish there. Way too risky to send out Brienne out there to a hostile land that is not friendly to Starks and Tullys. Should have stuck with a raven.

Mr. RPG

I'm really sad that the Blackfish is gone. He was one of my favorite characters. I love House Tully.

Isn't he still alive in the books?

I'm glad they killed the Blackfish.

It's a rare thing that a man gets to die on this show before they completely fuck up their character.

He died as he lived.

Off-screen?

Speevy

Banned

It's a rare thing that a man gets to die on this show before they completely fuck up their character.

He died as he lived.

btrboyev

He died as he lived.

I thought it was weak as fuck to confirm he survived the RW, then make him a bad ass for two episodes only for him to die off screen.

jdstorm

Banned
This Jamie Lannister stuff is so frustrating. I miss book Jamie, and his gold hands the Noble ambitions.

Also Cersi's obsession with Fire is very Targaryen esque. I wonder if there is a secret in the books that the show will clearly ignore due to a lack of time.

Edit: something worth noting. Sansa is 2 deaths away from being the official owner of river run.

He died as he lived.

Why did the RR soldiers listen to Blackfish when they had knife to Edumire's throat last episode but this week they decide to ignore him and let Edumire do all the commanding, effectively killing Blackfish?

Speevy

Banned
Why did the RR soldiers listen to Blackfish when they had knife to Edumire's throat last episode but this week they decide to ignore him and let Edumire do all the commanding, effectively killing Blackfish?

He's their lord. The subjects of a lord don't have the freedom to submit to anyone but the lord's command.

This is why Bran had to yield Winterfell to Theon.

So as stupid as it sounded, it's actually true to the spirit of the situation. Lord Edmure did have the authority to give up Riverrrun, just as he had the authority to fight on if he had chosen.

mantidor

I guess blackfish's "It's been years since I used a sword, I'm going to make a fool of myself" last words were their excuse to kill him off-screen.

As I read somewhere else, on reddit probably, we have sacrificed to the Red God two direwolves, blackfish's death, Arya's showdown with the Waif and LSH so we can have the budget for bastarbowl.

She didn't know they were in a siege to be fair, she only knew he had taken back the castle.

Allforce

This episode actually made me angry afterwards, especially the Arya stuff.

It felt like they just spun their wheels for 2 seasons to get this "GIRL POWER YEA!" moment for Maisie Williams the actress instead of Arya the character. I seriously just looked at my wife like "is it wrong that I think Arya is a total fucking asshole here?".

I mean she gets this Jaqen guy to kill guards for her to escape Harrenhall, obtains a magic coin from him to escape Westeros no questions asked, is trained in the ancient ways of assassination guild, and....basically gets a conscience on her first real job and pisses it all away? It makes no fucking sense.

We haven't had multiple scenes of Arya pining for home or attempting to get information about what's happening in Westeros. We have no evidence that her plan is to go home at any point. She's troubled by her training and the methods but appears throughout to be understanding why Jaqen and the Waif do the things they do, to better her as a Faceless Man.

Yet here we get this off-screen turncoat shit where she kills the ONLY other assassin working for Jaqen, and then her basically throwing up a a middle finger (and a sword to his heart) to Jaqen and saying "I aint doing dat, I'm ARYA STARK OF HOUSE WINTERFELL YO" and Jaqen is STILL ABSOLUTELY COOL with it. Just a knowing nod and she runs off.

If this is how it all plays out in the books I'd be really shocked. This whole thing felt like a "well people love Maisie Williams and we'll get a lot of buzz so lets get r done!".

Speevy

Banned
I'm pretty sure Edmure gives up Riverrun in the books too. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

The Blackfish doesn't like it then either.

I'm in no way defending the atrocious show setup, but this at least does happen.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
My friend's answer when I asked him what the hell Arya's story arc has been this whole time in Bravoos:

"I guess she's gotten a little better at fighting."

So lame. Sad thing he's right. I honestly cannot think of anything interesting that's happened for Arya.

Speevy

Banned
They could have had the Waif come back to the House of Black and White like she killed Arya.

Then after a brief exchange, she changes faces and kills Jaqen.

mantidor

Arya in Braavos was executed poorly but I don't think it wasted anything, she is now a trained assassin so her kills in Westeros will now be at least more believable. I know everyone wanted little Arry to stab the Hound or Walder Frey or Cersei but that would have been ridiculous before Braavos.

Aurongel

This episode was maybe the lousiest, most disappointing episode I can remember. Everything just seems like a mad dash to move players into their positions and keep the budget down to a respectable amount. Nothing is really shaping up with the gravitas they deserve. Arya's involvement with the faceless men panned out in the most straightforward way possible with the Lady Crane material only really serving to provide her with plot armor.

Blackfish dying off screen isn't an inexcusable thing in concept but the way it played out was a little bit comical. Though it does progress a lot of the interesting things going on between Jaime and Brienne. These two have such great interplay, it ties together super well with what they went through a few seasons back. I don't know why they dedicated so much time showing Jaime butt heads with Cersei when his material with Brienne is almost entirely excellent.

Varys and Tyrion seem like massively wasted characters this season but on the other hand, many people found that the story focused too much on them in previous seasons.

Speevy

Banned
I thought part of Arya's storyline was that she sees unspeakable horrors and wants to forget who she is. She takes on new identities and learns to kill in cold blood, without remorse.

The change occurs when she realizes that she does still have a family, and that family needs her. So that part rings true. They just did a terrible job of telling this story.

Pkaz01

My friend's answer when I asked him what the hell Arya's story arc has been this whole time in Bravoos:

"I guess she's gotten a little better at fighting."

So lame. Sad thing he's right. I honestly cannot think of anything interesting that's happened for Arya.

she learned about poisons.. and how to act? She also knows how to lie and tell lies now.

her old way of taking on identities was just using a different name. now she knows how to take on different personalities as well. Its a shame her storyline was butchered an all this was buried under nonsensical decisions and boring dialogue

mackaveli

Okay a lot of people think LSH is not coming but I am a believer that it is still happening.

They mentioned Cat several times this episode again to make viewers remember her.

And again I posted this previously but the two truths and one lie between Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams points to Stoneheart returning unless Sophie Turner totally fucked up.

Sophie's list

1. Ramsay dies (hasn't happened yet, it's 50/50 with the battle of the bastards next week)
2. Stoneheart returns
3. Arya crosses three off the list (looking least likely with each episode)

Maisie's list

1. Arya returns to Westeros (this episode looks like she will be going back)
2. You saw Arya more times in the trailer as other people (looks to be a lie as she never put on a face (please correct me if I'm wrong)
3. Arya does not cross anyone off her list (looks like she won't cross anyone with only two episodes left).

Therefore I believe LSH is coming. And now for my bold prediction is that she will hang Jaime at the end. Seems fitting Jaime will die probably trying to go back to her love Cersei and will be stopped by LSH and die. Perhaps that is why the show never made Jaime hate Cersei or burn the letter, etc., is to have him be happy he gets to go back home and see Cersei with it to come to abrupt end and is hung.

I'm probably wrong but I'm still a believer LSH is coming.

Pkaz01

Maisie's list

1. Arya returns to Westeros (this episode looks like she will be going back)
2. You saw Arya more times in the trailer as other people (looks to be a lie as she never put on a face (please correct me if I'm wrong)
3. Arya does not cross anyone off her list (looks like she won't cross anyone with only two episodes left).

I thought she said you saw her in the trailer more than people realized. (running around in braavos and the bloody hand) I don't think she implied she was wearing a different face

AColdDay

Arya's whole Braavos storyline was extremely disappointing. So much wasted potential.

You guys better fear for the last seasons if they are going to divert from the source material as much as rumored, because almost everything original that the writers have come up with kind of sucks.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
n8gHfqF.png

Pkaz01

I thought the hound with the brotherhood scenes were awesome and I like it way more than lady stoneheart who seems like a pointless character

mackaveli

I thought she said you saw her in the trailer more than people realized. (running around in braavos and the bloody hand) I don't think she implied she was wearing a different face

Maybe that's how it should be interpreted. The specific quote is "“Arya is in the trailer more times than people have realized, because they don’t realize it’s her.”

I thought it was meant she was wearing other people's faces. But if it's her running around with blood etc., I never paid attention to that part in the trailer so maybe that is it. But with only two episodes left, I don't see her killing anyone (and you can argue she doesn't have to cross anyone off her self if someone else kills the person but then how would Arya know this example if Cersei were to die by someone else's hand). Or perhaps she does not get back to Westeros with two episodes left but the way this episode ended I believe she will be back in episode 10 hopefully in Westeros.

I still believe LSH is in the show.

Tuck

Eh.

What was the point of the Arya storyline? Didn't feel like she learned anything.

Wish the riverrun storyline hadn't diverted from the books. Made Edmure look bad, wasted the Blackfish's character.

Beric is alive, no LSH confirmed. A shame.

Lol @ Dany walking into the room mid siege after being MIA the rest of the episode. That whole situation made Tyrion look bad.

Cersei not being able to defend herself by trial-by-combat is neat though, didn't see that coming.

I'm pretty sure Edmure gives up Riverrun in the books too. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

The Blackfish doesn't like it then either.

I'm in no way defending the atrocious show setup, but this at least does happen.

He does give up riverrun in the books, but he goes behind jamie's back and enables the Blackfish's escape. In this episode, Edmure just throws the blackfish under the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom