• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

I thought part of Arya's storyline was that she sees unspeakable horrors and wants to forget who she is. She takes on new identities and learns to kill in cold blood, without remorse.

The change occurs when she realizes that she does still have a family, and that family needs her. So that part rings true. They just did a terrible job of telling this story.

I felt Arya's journey is about survival and it parallels Sansa all the way through. While Sansa has only her name to save her, Arya has to hide it to survive, they are both naive and make a lot of mistakes, but it's expected, they are little girls. Sansa gets far more shit than Arya in the fandom though.

Tuck

So I guess Vary's is heading back to westeros?

Guess that also means Pyrell and Kevan are gonna die soon, though I'm not sure what the point of Vary's being sent all the ay around the world only to go all the way back was. I guess just to give the actor something to do.

What the hell has been the point of Arya and Tyrion's arcs for the last 2 seasons?

Arya is still a shit assassin who showed no smarts at all except for cutting the candle. She's learned nothing. If the plan was to have her kill the Waif and head home, why not show her playing the Waif and outwitting her, having some sort of mental/physical dominance over her before finally taking her out? Instead you get a cliched 'last ditch desperate fight' resolution to the story.

Jaqen is also apparently cool with sacrificing the Waif's life to achieve....something?

Tyrion is just treading water, drinking wine and not really doing much. If they wanted his ruling of the city to end badly, why not give him a Littlefinger style adversary to play off?

The series is suffering at the moment because these two incredibly popular characters are being dragged down by some amateur level writing. It's like they're not putting the effort in.

Speevy

Banned
He does give up riverrun in the books, but he goes behind jamie's back and enables the Blackfish's escape. In this episode, Edmure just throws the blackfish under the bus.

Well he does it to save his son, and the Blackfish is given the chance to escape in the show too. He's none too eager to save the man who just said "Cut his throat and be done with it."

He's already escaped and retaken Riverrun, unless someone can create a time loop wherein the Blackfish keeps retaking Riverrun, then the Lannisters take it back, then after they leave Blackfish retakes it, and so on. That would be funny.

gspec

In the book, Arya kills a man with poison but this doesn't happen in the show. I think D&D said they didn't what Arya to be a dark character like she is in the books because it isn't good television or something like that.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I think that might have been the worst episode this season. Arya's arc went fucking no where. They destroyed Jamie...he's not fucking interesting at all. Why is the Brootherhood and the Hound even there?? What the fuck has Littlefinger been doing? What the fuck has Ramsay been doing?

Honestly just what the fuck.

I normally don't complain about the show too much, but seriously this shit is ridiculous when readers know how to make it better, with the same constraints. Or better yet...don't be afraid to make more seasons.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The Arya stuff overrall felt like a waste of time, but I thought the chase scene was climax enough. The finish was satisfying for me. I don't watch GoT for sword fights.

Not really sure what people wanted from the Jaimie stuff. He's a sympathetic bad guy. Works about the same for me.

Not a great ep, but better than most TV for the Brotherhood scenes. I kinda thought The Hound pissing in the river was a nice bit of "fuck you it's not gonna happen" that made me chuckle. Probably cuz I think LSH is reaaaaal dumb.

Pretty shit episode. The Arya stuff was awful. One of the dumbass theories floated around this last week would have at least been something.

LOL at the Blackfish.

Brutus was pretty good I guess. The preview for next week looks like it could be good, but I anxiously await how they manage to fuck it up.

It's quite obvious these episodes are designed now to set up the end-game with humans vs white walkers. Dorne will probably yield control to Dany, Cersei will die soon, the crown will fall to Dany, the revelation of Jon's parentage will make it easier for Bran to introduce them, Aureon will die, etc.

I don't believe there's much more speculation to be had. LSH isn't going to happen because, really, she's not actually relevant to the story they have ATM. Right now they need to trim the fat and enter end-game territory and that means pointless squabbles are being squashed in service of the main story: white walkers.

Or, ya know, things are different: Dany decides to stay on that continent, Jon defeats the White Walkers without the south even knowing, Cersei kills the faith and rules, etc.

gspec

I think that might have been the worst episode this season. Arya's arc went fucking no where. They destroyed Jamie...he's not fucking interesting at all. Why is the Brootherhood and the Hound even there?? What the fuck has Littlefinger been doing? What the fuck has Ramsay been doing?

Honestly just what the fuck.

I normally don't complain about the show too much, but seriously this shit is ridiculous when readers know how to make it better, with the same constraints. Or better yet...don't be afraid to make more seasons.

Partly because they are cutting stuff out plus GRRM has not finished writing the books. They don't have any stories to tell just outlines that GRRM gave them for TWOW and ADOS. Outlines are not stories, so they are using some of books stories as filler (arya, Jamie, Dorne, and Ironborn). The main stories are Dany, Jon (the north stuff), and Kings Landing.

bachikarn

In the book, Arya kills a man with poison but this doesn't happen in the show. I think D&D said they didn't what Arya to be a dark character like she is in the books because it isn't good television or something like that.

I thought I read that earlier, but the way she killed Meryn Trant was pretty fucking dark

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Jaime is a mess.

Multiple stab wounds to the stomach are apparently very easy to recover from.

Boy now THAT was stupid. Just portray it differently! Film has established that stomach wounds are slow agonizing deaths. True or not I have no idea, but it's been established by the language of cinema.

Pkaz01

I thought I read that earlier, but the way she killed Meryn Trant was pretty fucking dark

i felt like that was only in regards to her killing innocents or people that weren't revenge or kills of necessity. She will kill people in dark ways, but only people she feels earned it

Bread

Banned
Why would you assume that the 2 truths and a lie thing are 100% real? You think the D&D would be cool with them giving away 4 spoilers for no reason?

gspec

Killing Trant and the frey man was revenge (justice if you like) killings which are understandable. Even the fat boy she killed in season one was for her to escape. She has never killed someone outside of that. No cold blooded killing, no assassination, and no killing in battle like she did in the books.

Kozak

Banned
I'm pretty sure Edmure gives up Riverrun in the books too. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

The Blackfish doesn't like it then either.

I'm in no way defending the atrocious show setup, but this at least does happen.

Riverrun really should have been done differently to the books.

Fucken sucks man

Edmure is a bitch.

Geist-

D&D just lose more and more of my respect every season.

By far the worst episode of the season, if only for the bunch of nonsensical plot devices.

I too am disappointed in the episode. The grunt who acted like he had to open the gate for Lord Edmure, then Edmure turning over the castle screamed, "we have no idea what to do here." The Blackfish lead the rebellion & regained the castle, but that doesn't mean shit to these guys. They followed his lead into battle, but fuck that shit! Edmure is back!

Then the Blackfish refusing to escape, screamed, "let's kill off this character cause we don't need him anymore." Trimming the fat I guess, but he's one of the more interesting characters in the story. No way they should've just given him the axe, an off-screen axe at that

Jaime is a mess.

Multiple stab wounds to the stomach are apparently very easy to recover from.

Boy now THAT was stupid. Just portray it differently! Film has established that stomach wounds are slow agonizing deaths. True or not I have no idea, but it's been established by the language of cinema.

When you stab someone, you have to hit a vital organ to kill them.

They can die from the blood loss if an organ is missed, but if pressure is applied to wound and it's sealed off they can definitely recover.

That's why when stabbings are reported in the news, the victim is typically stabbed multiple times. Often many more times than what seems reasonable.

Madness

Probably one of the poorer episodes I have seen and I always consider myself a show watcher first and foremost. The writing is becoming ridiculously poor, the actors' amazing acting performances notwithstanding. Everything was Walking Dead style convenience and/or filler with all flash and no substance.

It made zero sense not to show the Blackfish death as well. Oh look, the Masters come out of nowhere with a fleet that makes the Greyjoys jealous. If only there were some Greyjoys conveniently two towns over with their own fleet, and a bald castrated man who is on a quest to find new allies as well as head back to Westeros etc. Oh look, just at the precise second the city is being attacked here is Daenarys the Conqeror coming. Oh the Waif is coming. She will run like the Terminator and jump 8 feet to chase Arya but will go slowly because we need Arya to grab needle and be prepared etc. Maybe I am nitpicking but everything just felt like it was going through the paces. There is no way Arya loses, so getting stabbed last week had no meaning, her hiding with Lady Crane who also just happens to be an expert stab wound healer and have milk of the poppy that lets Arya sleep just until the Waif comes and kills Lady Crane. This was like elementary level forced tension and writing.

KahooTs

Yo Mother of Dragons it's really cool you came for this terrible return scene and all but what we really need you to do is hop back on the dragon you obviously flew up here on and go flame those ships burning your city and killing your people. In fact I'm surprised the idea didn't occur to you on the way in.

Dysun

That was bad, felt like a ton of wasted plot lines and story arcs that went in a circle.

Get that book out George, the cliff notes version of the series isn't satisfying enough

Just some funny shit. She was basically gutted last episode, but a few bandages and she's good to go again. The only explanation now is that Jaqen is in on some bet as to which faceless man can have the shittiest trainee. That would actually also explain why he have Arya the coin in season 2.

ryseing

#fuckjaime

Jaime being a dick and Cleganebowl being unconfirmed broke my heart.

God they've butchered Arya's arc. Just a mess all around.

Arkeband

Banned
This episode was disappointing.

1) Forget LSH, Beric's back.
2) Arya's stab wound recoveries completely defy human physiology.
3) Really weird finger-in-the-asshole scene, "smells like pussy", who writes this shit?

Everything else felt like super unnatural forced plot advancement.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Okay a lot of people think LSH is not coming but I am a believer that it is still happening.

They mentioned Cat several times this episode again to make viewers remember her.

And again I posted this previously but the two truths and one lie between Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams points to Stoneheart returning unless Sophie Turner totally fucked up.

Sophie's list

Ramsay dies (hasn't happened yet, it's 50/50 with the battle of the bastards next week)
Stoneheart returns
Arya crosses three off the list (looking least likely with each episode)
Maisie's list

Arya returns to Westeros (this episode looks like she will be going back)
You saw Arya more times in the trailer as other people (looks to be a lie as she never put on a face (please correct me if I'm wrong)
Arya does not cross anyone off her list (looks like she won't cross anyone with only two episodes left).
Therefore I believe LSH is coming. And now for my bold prediction is that she will hang Jaime at the end. Seems fitting Jaime will die probably trying to go back to her love Cersei and will be stopped by LSH and die. Perhaps that is why the show never made Jaime hate Cersei or burn the letter, etc., is to have him be happy he gets to go back home and see Cersei with it to come to abrupt end and is hung.

I'm probably wrong but I'm still a believer LSH is coming.
Do you really believe that Sophie Turner would give up big plot details like that? She probably just gave three lies to troll the interviewer.

Gvitor

Hahahaha, I couldn't have been more wrong. When they took Brienne to the Wall and Jaime to Dorne only to have them back together at Riverrun at the same time I thought they were trying to somehow get closer to the books.

But in the books, you have a Cersei opening her heart out like never before, pleading like crazy, crying and telling Jaime that she loves him and asking him to come home to fight for her... then Jaime rips the letter apart and basically tells her to go fuck herself.

Then in the show Cersei doesn't lose one opportunity to shit on him, and he declares his unconditional love for her.

Madness

Lol can't believe people still think LSH is gonna be in the show. It's never happening.

It would be even worse if they shoehorned her in now. They killed Blackfish. Hound literally pissed into a river near Beric. That scene should have been seen as the writers pissing on the hopes of Lady Stoneheart. Just like warging for Jon and Arya, Lady Stoneheart is not coming. GRRM even said it himself they cut her out of the show in Balticon.

Saya

Just some funny shit. She was basically gutted last episode, but a few bandages and she's good to go again. The only explanation now is that Jaqen is in on some bet as to which faceless man can have the shittiest trainee. That would actually also explain why he have Arya the coin in season 2.

Milk of the Poppy! Instant healing.

vaderise

-I guess i'm the only one who liked Arya's story arc with Many Faced God.It wasn't wasted or pointless.She became much more powerful,killing Waif with those wounds proves that.Also the whole arc showed Arya isn't willing to let go who she is. When Arya heads back to Westeros , she'll be one of the most dangerous people out there.

-Hound is becoming my absolutely favorite character in the show.Seeing Beric again was fucking awesome too.Such a cool character.Brotherhood Without Banner is already fucking awesome and now they have The Hound! By the way showing Beric again after all this time leads possibilities to LSH reveal.Show already did some kind of foreshadowing with all those hanged people and mentionings of Catelyn.Also Cleganebowl is not unconfirmed yet. I still believe Mountain and Hound will clash at some point. Keep the hype.

-The last scene between Jaime and Brienne was truely emotional.The only thing i didn't like in this episode was Jaime being an asshole again.The scenes between him and Brienne was truely fantastic but the stuff he said to Edmure fucked up his whole character arc before.And gotta mention the scene with Podrick and Bronn was a nice touch.

-The ''Joke'' of Grayworm had my laughing for like 10 minutes. It was a hillarious moment but the dead silence moment when Dany appeared... Things unfortunately not looking good for Tyrion :(

-FUCK TOMMEN.Such an idiot kid.He's nothing like Joffrey in terms of personality but being manipulated by religious fanatics makes him as infuffarable as Joffrey.I trust Margaery and Olenna to wreck The Faith down. Show did a great job portraying High Septon as a kind of antagonist.He looks kind,he never did something horrible,he's helping people and he's a man of reason yet somehow everyone would love to see his head getting chomped by Robert Strong.Oh and that fatality of Mountain was brutal!

Didn't love the episode but still liked it. The whole Riverrun thing seems to lead nowhere at this point but in future it will have severe impacts on some characters.I still think Riverrun story arc will be connected to LSH reveal.

FUCKING BASTARDBOWL NEXT WEEK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom