• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Arya's Braavos arc wasn't wasted or pointless.She became much more powerful,killing Waif with those wounds proves that.Also the whole arc showed Arya isn't willing to let go who she is. When Arya heads back to Westeros , she'll be one of the most dangerous people out there.

Yeah a 5'2" girl who got her ass handed to her by another girl for two years is now the most dangerous girl in Westeros because she killed someone in a near pitch dark room. You're watching a show. In the real world when you get stabbed in the gut and have a knife twisted, unless you get emergency medical treatment and precise surgical repair you die.

Most people think Arya is dead. She does not have the ability to take faces from the House of Black and White like the other faceless men. I have no doubt she will be a great fighter. But to say she is dangerous. What makes her dangerous? In Essos she is no one. In Westeros she is probably wanted dead in the North by the Boltons and has no support in the South.

It is why the show hinted at sending her to Asshai conveniently at the same time Jorah will probably go there.

Lothar

Banned
Arya's Braavos arc wasn't wasted or pointless.She became much more powerful,killing Waif with those wounds proves that.Also the whole arc showed Arya isn't willing to let go who she is. When Arya heads back to Westeros , she'll be one of the most dangerous people out there.

As long as she always fights in pitch black darkness. Anything other than that and she can't even beat a little girl.

Jayne

Hahahaha, I couldn't have been more wrong. When they took Brienne to the Wall and Jaime to Dorne only to have them back together at Riverrun at the same time I thought they were trying to somehow get closer to the books.

But in the books, you have a Cersei opening her heart out like never before, pleading like crazy, crying and telling Jaime that she loves him and asking him to come home to fight for her... then Jaime rips the letter apart and basically tells her to go fuck herself.

Then in the show Cersei doesn't lose one opportunity to shit on him, and he declares his unconditionally love for her.

Yea :/ This is probably my biggest peeve with the show so far.

bachikarn

Killing Trant and the frey man was revenge (justice if you like) killings which are understandable. Even the fat boy she killed in season one was for her to escape. She has never killed someone outside of that. No cold blooded killing, no assassination, and no killing in battle like she did in the books.

I'm talking more about how she killed him and how graphic and painful it was. I would hardly call that justice. Generally characters obsessed with revenge are pretty dark.

Yeah a 5'2" girl who got her ass handed to her by another girl for two years is now the most dangerous girl in Westeros because she killed someone in a near pitch dark room. You're watching a show. In the real world when you get stabbed in the gut and have a knife twisted, unless you get emergency medical treatment and precise surgical repair you die.

Most people think Arya is dead. She does not have the ability to take faces from the House of Black and White like the other faceless men. I have no doubt she will be a great fighter. But to say she is dangerous. What makes her dangerous? In Essos she is no one. In Westeros she is probably wanted dead in the North by the Boltons and has no support in the South.

It is why the show hinted at sending her to Asshai conveniently at the same time Jorah will probably go there.

Well she's now apparently Wolverine, so she's probably good to go.

Iksenpets

Banned

The last time we saw her fight the waif though she got her ass handed to her. Then suddenly this episode she's the master. Her training has way less impact because they never had her successfully carry out a hit. The waif was consistently a better fighter than her and managed to sneak up on her with the old woman disguise. Arya only managed to win because I guess the waif never got blind training? And then Jaqen let her go because.... reasons?

I'm actually really excited to read Arya in Winds now just because I want to find out the better-thought-out story of how Arya gets away.

For what this show was in the first few seasons to this is an embarrassment, I thought season 6 couldn't possibly be as bad as season 5 but I think now it has a chance to be worse, depending on the last 2 episodes.

Arya's story is ridiculous, and KL and Meereen just spins in circles where nothing happens. Riverrun was 2 years too late and completely pointless.

It's no longer just badly written compared to the books, it's just a badly written show.

Turin

Banned
Preview:
So Ramsay's worse than White Walkers now?

Lol can't believe people still think LSH is gonna be in the show. It's never happening.

Unless they intend to have Beric breath life into a skeleton.

#fuckjaime

Jaime being a dick and Cleganebowl being unconfirmed broke my heart.

Jaime made threats in Feast in order to secure a peaceful siege but here it seemed more earnest. He's S1 Jaime except for when Brienne's around.

Who knows what they're going to do with him now.

Geist-

I'm pretty sure that has been a popular theory for years, that Arya would realize she's not no one, she's a Stark, and leave Braavos.

However, you cannot tell me that has executed well. After Episode 6 it took a fucking nosedive. She had the candle, she had Needle, she failed her mission and came up with a plan to ensure her survival. Okay, cool, whatever. Then Ep.7 she suddenly gets plot-induced stupidity, gets stabbed, multiple times, in the stomach, than magically heals in a day, and does fucking parkour through crowded streets while the Waifinator is on her tail, and only then does she remember "Oh wait, I had a plan all along."

And finally, Sexy Jesus with the terrible writing. "You are finally no one." Oh really? Are you even paying attention to anything that happened at all in the last few episodes? Or that she never threw away the sword you told her to throw away? It was done just so Arya could say she's Arya Stark, defiantly, because that's what the tv show needed.

Did I ever mention how much I love this thread? Thank you guys for this outlet for my annoyance.

Jigorath

Banned
Why were Brienne and Pod sneaking out of the castle? It's not like Jaime was going to arrest them. They could have just walked out the front door.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Arya needs to borrow my copy of Reservoir Dogs and see what it should really feel like to be gutted.

Geist-

Why were Brienne and Pod sneaking out of the castle? It's not like Jaime was going to arrest them. They could have just walked out the front door.

Ya I know. I thought the whole point was to sneak the Blackfish out, but since he didn't escape, what's the point?

Brakke

Banned
It's so crazy the scale of the assault on Meereen compared to how little attention the show paid to what was happening there. Meanwhile, preview makes it look like next ep is all in the North? So it might not even progress next episode? Bonkers.

jdstorm

Banned
Do you really believe that Sophie Turner would give up big plot details like that? She probably just gave three lies to troll the interviewer.

I think Sophie Turner pulled a Ben Kenobi... "What she said was true from a certain point of View"

If the fight club theory is true then Arya has crossed 3 names off her list and appeared as other people and it's already happened.

Arya appeared as the Waif. So if the waif was in the trailers that part is true. Arya/Waif have also killed 3 people on Arya's list (sir Merrin, Cersi Lannister(as played by an actress) and the Waif)

vaderise

She got a training from Waif who was a superior fighter than Arya and she still managed to beat Waif with all her wounds.She's a very skilled fighter now, she's smart and she has a lot of people to kill. I would say she's dangerous.

I'm pretty sure that has been a popular theory for years, that Arya would realize she's not no one, she's a Stark, and leave Braavos.

However, you cannot tell me that has executed well. After Episode 6 it took a fucking nosedive. She had the candle, she had Needle, she failed her mission and came up with a plan to ensure her survival. Okay, cool, whatever. Then Ep.7 she suddenly gets plot-induced stupidity, gets stabbed, multiple times, in the stomach, than magically heals in a day, and does fucking parkour through crowded streets while the Waifinator is on her tail, and only then does she remember "Oh wait, I had a plan all along."

And finally, Sexy Jesus with the terrible writing. "You are finally no one." Oh really? Are you even paying attention to anything that happened at all in the last few episodes? Or that she never threw away the sword you told her to throw away? It was done just so Arya could say she's Arya Stark, defiantly, because that's what the tv show needed.

Did I ever mention how much I love this thread? Thank you guys for this outlet for my annoyance.

There wasn't a plan revealed.Nothing implied that.She outsmarted Waif.
And how do we know Jaqen ''let her go''? We still don't know what the real intentions of Faceless Men are and Sexy Jesus had a smirk in that last scene. Arya hasn't left yet,we still can get a final confrontation between Arya and Jaqen.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Lawl...so heavenly wounded Arya is able to outrun a Top Tier bloodlusted Assasin?

And fuck Tommen...i hate him more than Joffrey at this point lol.

KahooTs

People that were theorising about Arya like they were the Umbers were relying on the show still having been written with the same craft as in the earlier seasons when they were pulling from GRRM's work. Back when the plot rewarded people the more they thought about it. Will be interesting to see if people have learned a lesson now.

Brakke

Banned
It's impressive how they've managed to bring back actors who haven't been on the show in ages. Benjen, Dondarion and Thoros, Tullys. I wonder if they got everyone on retainer or if it's just that nobody would turn down an ep or two on this show.

Iksenpets

Banned
Preview:
So Ramsay's worse than White Walkers now?

Unless they intend to have Beric breath life into a skeleton.

Jaime made threats in Feast in order to secure a peaceful siege but here it seemed more earnest. He's S1 Jaime except for when Brienne's around.

Who knows what they're going to do with him now.

Yeah, this is totally season 1 Jaime. Maybe he has a conscience, but he's willing to throw it away for anything tangentially related to Cersei.

Also, removing Edmure's scheme to let Blackfish escape really put a negative spin on Edmure's character, too. Now he's a guy who was 100% willing to throw his uncle under the bus, either because Jaime's threats broke him or because he's really that bitter over Blackfish's refusal to negotiate with the Freys for his life.

It's impressive how they've managed to bring back actors who haven't been on the show in ages. Benjen, Dondarion and Thoros, Tullys. I wonder if they got everyone on retainer or if it's just that nobody would turn down an ep or two on this show.

Yeah these roles are probably small enough that they can be fit into just about anyone's schedule, and it's probably better work than any other projects they're on in terms of prestige and exposure.

Geist-

There wasn't a plan revealed.Nothing implied that.She outsmarted Waif.
I already answered the Sexy Jesus thing above.

After the failed assassination, she found a room, with no windows, and a single candle, and left her sword there. It seems pretty obvious this was the plan all along.

And how do we know Jaqen ''let her go''? We still don't know what the real intentions of Faceless Men are and Sexy Jesus had a smirk in that last scene. Arya hasn't left yet,we still can get a final confrontation between Arya and Jaqen.

I never mentioned Jaqen letting her go. I'm just saying it was terrible writing.

Saya

The wrapping up of the Faceless Men story felt like Dorne to me. D&D just said fuck it and wrapped it up. Let's move on, because we don't know what to do with it anymore.

vaderise

Ya I know. I thought the whole point was to sneak the Blackfish out, but since he didn't escape, what's the point?

They already had a boat and maybe didn't want to waste it LOL.

After the failed assassination, she found a room, with no windows, and a single candle, and left her sword there. It seems pretty obvious this was the plan all along.

We can't know that if she got the idea of blind-fighting during the whole chase scene. Nothing past this episode showed any indication of Arya trying to kill Waif. She was just trying to escape.

zer0das

Banned
Initial impression after watching the episode was they're really going out of their way to not show any action to save money for the last few episodes. After sitting on it for a bit, I think the only thing that massively disappointed me was the whole Riverrun/Blackfish deal. What a waste of potential there.

The Arya fight not being shown on screen was okay for me, there's no way whatever would be shown could justify it and any ideas I can come up with would be hard to shoot.

I also found it ridiculous how the Faith Militant and Lancel sat around while one of their guys got bodied instead of swarming Ser Robert Strong, but then I suppose that's not entirely outside their character and I can't really blame them too much.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Lol can't believe people still think LSH is gonna be in the show. It's never happening.
I was willing to entertain people's hopes for her previously because bringing her back as a gimmick is something this show would do. Hell, half this season has been wrapping up plot threads or bringing back the remaining book plots. But now it's beyond silly to hope. Beric's not even dead in the show!

Best hopes for a LSH substitute/Frey killing expedition are: (A)Beric finds and revives Blackfish and he acts as LSH, or (B)the BWB and the Hound (& maybe Arya) go on a Frey hunting expedition. Though the latter would miss the whole rebirth/horrors of war aspect of that plot.

I just don't know what Arya's relevance to the rest of the plot is anymore (and the books kinda have this problem too, but at least the Faceless Men are clearly tied to Oldtown et cetera in the books).

Vyer

First bad episode this season. really pretty terrible. It's like the reverse of S5. I feel good about the shit that's about to go down tho.

Lothar

Banned
The Arya fight not being shown on screen was okay for me, there's no way whatever would be shown could justify it and any ideas I can come up with would be hard to shoot.

I was looking forward to seeing what clever method they would use to show a battle in the dark. But oh yeah, D&D are lazy as fuck and aren't even going to try.

Of course the pitch black darkness moment part of the battle would just be the end of the battle anyway. Before that, there would have to be some back and forth fight, some payoff after making us sit through 2 years of Arya getting beat with a stick, something to show us that Arya has progressed.

Pkaz01

Arya's Faceless men arc was terribly executed but it still got her where she needs to be to be extremely dangerous.. nobody in westeros knows what she looks like or what she is capable of. Her being able to lie and act and now poison people makes it even worse.

As far as her relevance to the plot she will hook up with Nymeria, gather an army of wolves and maybe the BWB and head north.

vaderise

I never mentioned Jaqen letting her go. I'm just saying it was terrible writing.

As i said, the exact motivations of Faceless Men are still unknown. What it really takes to become ''no one'' ? There are still a ton of questions left to be answered and if they remain unanswered i can agree with you but like i said, season's not over yet.

Atlantis

I have no idea what you're talking about, so I'm going to go with '...'.

We've had characters reference Cersei killing everyone around her this episode and the last and the cache of Wildfire underneath the city was shown in Bran's vision earlier this season. Combine that with the "rumor" Cersei and Qyburn discussed and it seems to me like an obvious conclusion.

Jaime also talks about the caches in Season 3, but that seems way too long ago to be any kind of foreshadow.

Maybe it's me just looking for something I want to be there. Even Olenna's departure seemed strangely convenient to me.

Iksenpets

Banned
I was willing to entertain people's hopes for her previously because bringing her back as a gimmick is something this show would do. Hell, half this season has been wrapping up plot threads or bringing back the remaining book plots. But now it's beyond silly to hope. Beric's not even dead in the show!

Best hopes for a LSH substitute/Frey killing expedition are: (A)Beric finds and revives Blackfish and he acts as LSH, or (B)the BWB and the Hound (& maybe Arya) go on a Frey hunting expedition. Though the latter would miss the whole rebirth/horrors of war aspect of that plot.

A seems like the likeliest way to get to a Stoneheart-esque plot, if that's necessary still. They could capture Brienne's boat and then resurrected Blackfish could order her to hunt down Jaime like in the books. Doubt that's where things are going, but it'd work, much better than skeletal Cat would.

UraMallas

The wrapping up of the Faceless Men story felt like Dorne to me. D&D just said fuck it and wrapped it up. Let's move on, because we don't know what to do with it anymore.

I think they wish they could do the same thing in Mereen but GRRM himself has no fucking clue.

Speevy

Banned
The actual fire hitting Meereen looked really good. I wish they would do a proper battle, but I think that's all we'll get before the Dothraki arrive and kill them all.

Madness

She got a training from Waif who was a superior fighter than Arya and she still managed to beat Waif with all her wounds.She's a very skilled fighter now, she's smart and she has a lot of people to kill. I would say she's dangerous.

She spent several months being blind and learning to fight without sight. However, in the daylight not only could an assassin come up to her and stab her repeatedly but she literally ran from a girl because she knew she would die. So you're telling me she's now going to go to Westeros and tear shit up? Is she going to Needle the Mountainstein in a pitch black room? She is smart and has learned to kill but she was only fooling herself. She was always Arya Stark not a remorseless assassin. That is why she couldn't kill Lady Crane. But that is precisely what made fighters like the Hound and Mountain dangerous. They didn't care who they killed. Arya still has her list. She will probably see it through to completion but she has not had proper sword training. Has not fought in iron armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom