• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
I think by end of this season or maybe by first half of next season they will wrap up all the human drama and will focus towards to the final conflict of this series. Humans vs Whitewalker. They have been hyping up these whitewalkers for 6 seaons now. I think its about time the showmakers turn their attention towards them fulltime.

Yeah, just grunts and growls. D and D clearly can't write human dialogue.

"HUR DUR I GOT WHITE PUSSY HAIR."

"ERRR UR ASSHOLE SMELLS LIKE PUSSY."

"WHERE MY NIECE AND NEPHEW LETS GO MURDER DEM DUR."

"IM JAIME LANISTER ILL KILL YOUR BABY IF YOU LET ME FUCK MY SISTER. BEING UR PRIS'NER CHANGED ME"

"HAY EVERYBODY WANT TO HEAR A JOKE IM TYRION I TELL JOKES AND DRINK WINE BETWEEN ACTION SET PIECES"

"IM NO ONE YES I AM NO ONE STOP HITTING ME IM NO ONE I CAN FIGHT WITH ASTICK IN THE DARK THIS PLAY IS BETTER THAN MY STORYLINE DURR."

"IM CERSEI LET THE MOUNTAIN RIP THIS GUYS HEAD OFF THAT'LL SOLVE MY PROBLEMS."

"IM JON SNOW AND IM SAD THAT THEY GAVE SANSA ALL MY LINES IMMA GO POUT."

Speevy

Banned
For the purposes of this show, all the slavers in Slaver's Bay are on those ships.

If we kill them, slavery will be over everywhere forever.

I also realized what about the dorne storyline? I know Lannisters want revenge after what they done to Cercei's daughter. I feel like the writers completely forgot about that part of the storyline. Problem with this show is that there are too many storylines going on at once. Hard to keep focus lol.

For the purposes of this show, all the slavers in Slaver's Bay are on those ships.

If we kill them, slavery will be over everywhere forever.

What you say makes sense. Its a quick way to end that whole Mereen storyline in one episode. And thank God for that. For how many seasons they are running this storyline now. That Dany vs Slaver storyline. It was getting boring maybe now Dany can finally do what she was trying to accomplish since season one. That is get to westoros.

Real Hero

I also realized what about the dorne storyline? I know Lannisters want revenge after what they done to Cercei's daughter. I feel like the writers completely forgot about that part of the storyline. Problem with this show is that there are too many storylines going on at once. Hard to keep focus lol.

they didn't forget they deliberately killed Doran so nobody cares when they never mention dorne again.

TTG

Because how else is dany going to get the ships to sail to westeros.

Seems like a stretch. Let's wait for Yara(was that her name?) to get her ass all the way over to Marreen while the city burns. Or, we can demonstrate that Dany has gained the ability to control her dragons by unleashing them on the fleet, then waiting for transport from Westeros to show up down the line.

Speevy

Banned
If Oberyn was one of those Star Wars ghosts in the sky at the end of Return of the Jedi, he would be very displeased with Ellaria.

Saya

Dorne? Dorne is gone.

dorne8eogo.gif

Official GoT Canon.

Aiii

So not worth it
So hyped for the Battle of the Bastards. So fucking hyped.

Imagine E3 hype if E3 were good this year magnified by a factor of 100, that's how hyped.

Joni

Terrible episode. Riverrun falls in five seconds without any consequences for anyone but the Blackfish, who doesn't get even a second of fighting, and both Tully act as huge idiots. Could have been amazing if there at least something happened there, or if at least they joined the rebellion in the North. At least the Clegane stuff was good

I do love that the Terminator apparantly jumped backed in time to Game of Thrones to become the faceless woman.

duckroll

This could well be the worst episode this season. Probably tied with the first episode. It was disappointing in almost every aspect, even with low expectations on how the show usually handles certain things. Every part of it felt like the writers basically gave up on making it something which could have been more interesting.

Cersei vs the Faith -> Let's give up, instead of having something more meaningful for this scene, Gregor can just rip one Sparrow's head off and the rest will leave.

Hound vs Brotherhood -> Let's give up, he can just talk things through with them and hang the "bad" ones. No biggie.

Riverrun -> Let's give up, Edmure can just surrender the castle and the Blackfish can die off screen so we don't have to mention him again.

Siege of Meereen -> Let's give up, instead of showing any of the characters handling the situation without Dany, she just just fly back on her dragon and we'll save the rest for another day.

Arya -> Let's give up. She's clearly incapable, but no one really cares about the waif or any of this storyline, so maybe she can beat her offscreen and we can play some dramatic music as she declares she's returning to Westeros. That way we don't even have to pretend that we can film a convincing scene of her beating someone much better than her.

59 minutes of dreadful nothing.

Joni

They need Dorne the Dany stuff for good. Like, I just don't even care if they never mention her again. Get Tyrion on Sansa's side again.

It will be a glorious day when Dorne, Dany and Iron Islands become a single storyline that takes 90% of all episodes.

devilhawk

Cersei vs the Faith -> Let's give up, instead of having something more meaningful for this scene, Gregor can just rip one Sparrow's head off and the rest will leave.

Hound vs Brotherhood -> Let's give up, he can just talk things through with them and hang the "bad" ones. No biggie.

Riverrun -> Let's give up, Edmure can just surrender the castle and the Blackfish can die off screen so we don't have to mention him again.

Siege of Meereen -> Let's give up, instead of showing any of the characters handling the situation without Dany, she just just fly back on her dragon and we'll save the rest for another day.

Arya -> Let's give up. She's clearly incapable, but no one really cares about the waif or any of this storyline, so maybe she can beat her offscreen and we can play some dramatic music as she declares she's returning to Westeros. That way we don't even have to pretend that we can film a convincing scene of her beating someone much better than her.
I think the first two were adequate enough for the show. The last three, eek. Filming a shorter Barriston-like scene for the Blackfish (would even be with fewer extras and a smaller hallway) couldn't be that much more difficult than the stupid 15 seconds of dialogue telling Jamie he was dead.

I don't want to discuss Arya's scene.

Cromwell

Banned
This could well be the worst episode this season. Probably tied with the first episode. It was disappointing in almost every aspect, even with low expectations on how the show usually handles certain things. Every part of it felt like the writers basically gave up on making it something which could have been more interesting.

59 minutes of dreadful nothing.

This is the best and most concise review I've read for the episode, sums up my thoughts on it perfectly. Well done.

duckroll

I think the first two were adequate enough for the show. The last three, eek. Filming a shorter Barriston-like scene for the Blackfish (would even be with fewer extras and a smaller hallway) couldn't be that much more difficult than the stupid 15 seconds of dialogue telling Jamie he was dead.

I don't want to discuss Arya's scene.

I think the first two are adequate in the sense that I have a feeling they're not completely done with them. So we know that the storyline there continues and there could be a better resolution down the road with more payoff. But in the context of what happens in the episode and how they raise expectations by introducing the scenes (Faith with weapons confronting Gregor, Hound going rambo on the stragglers) the payoff within the episode it self was kinda disappointing.

Arya is definitely the most bitter result though. Just... lol.

blackjaw

I hate family man Jaime, give me book Jaime!

Also real disappointed if GRR does Aryas story this way; what a waste of book space (and show space) just to have her peave before getting faces. Hopefully Jaquin meets her on the boat and gives her the final lesson.

Aldebaran

Season 6 episode 8: Hypeslayer.

Weakest episode of the season in my opinion, Assassin's Creed: Braavos looked really dumb and the arc conclusion was pretty messy.

Joni

I think the first two are adequate in the sense that I have a feeling they're not completely done with them. So we know that the storyline there continues and there could be a better resolution down the road with more payoff. But in the context of what happens in the episode and how they raise expectations by introducing the scenes (Faith with weapons confronting Gregor, Hound going rambo on the stragglers) the payoff within the episode it self was kinda disappointing.

Arya is definitely the most bitter result though. Just... lol.

Didn't you love how they acted like video game AI by only attacking one person at a time despite the 'player character' being stuck in a finisher?

NeoGiff

This episode finally made me crack, and I'd honestly stop watching the show right now if the Battle of the Bastards wasn't next week.

This isn't even coming from the perspective of a book reader. It's from the perspective of someone who is a big fan of film and TV, and is disappointed to see what was once a cleverly written and plotted show devolve into spectacle, cliffhangers, anachronistic dialogue in what used to be a period-rich setting, and a strong emphasis on the modern concept of the "badass".

As a TV show, it used to be a lot better. It used to be fresh and original. I learned to stop comparing it to the books during season 5, and to judge it on the merits of its own medium. However, what I once held up there with shows like Deadwood and Rome (and more recent marvelously-written shows like Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad) is now just a shadow of its former self. It's very, very sad.

jabuseika

Just rewatched.

Honestly, this episode felt like complete filler.

Nothing is resolved, the little story lines they introduced are quickly thrown away with no major consequences on the main characters.

What is happening with Arya, I don't think they even know.

The hound is back, that was a convoluted way of bringing him back, for what purpose, who knows, maybe it doesn't matter, nothing really has mattered in this season at all. Look at the Blackfish, you thought something cool was going to happen, nope. Look at Osha, nothing consequential. Dorne? Nothing. Varys and Tyrion in Mereen? Nothing.

Unless they plan on resolving all the convoluted story lines in two episodes...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the worst thing about this season is still the Osha scene. What a waste of a decent character.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Arya's storyline felt like after she left Westeros, the writers were all 'lets think about it later, for now she can just do this training thingy' and they kept not thinking about it until they decided to just send her back from where she came. Imagine how much better the show would have been if they had kept her with the hound all this time...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Arya's storyline felt like after she left Westeros, the writers were all 'lets think about it later, for now she can just do this training thingy' and they kept not thinking about it until they decided to just send her back from where she came. Imagine how much better the show would have been if they had kept her with the hound all this time...

that's always been the Game of Thrones problem post Storm of Swords. "Imagine how much more interesting this would be if GRRM [or in this case, D&D] put the characters we cared about within 10 kilometres of one another."

bitbydeath

I don't usually like to complain about the episodes (cause plenty here will do that) but ehhh, this one was pretty awful, maybe even one of the worst episodes ever.

It was made obvious that LSH will never be in the show, Blackfish didn't even get a proper send off and Aryas entire time at the House of Black and White appears to have been for nothing. :|

I dont see the problem with them not showing Arya fighting. She has been training while blind and the waif has not. Arya cut the lights so she had the advantage. Nothing else needs to be shown.

Drazgul

Liked the Hound (and zombie Mountain's sick finisher move) as always, everything else was rather crappy. Oh well, on to ep 9 and big budget fightin'.

jdstorm

Banned
They need Dorne the Dany stuff for good. Like, I just don't even care if they never mention her again. Get Tyrion on Sansa's side again.

Well they are married... However saying Sansa Lannister (or Sansa Bolton) just sounds wrong.

that's always been the Game of Thrones problem post Storm of Swords. "Imagine how much more interesting this would be if GRRM [or in this case, D&D] put the characters we cared about within 10 kilometres of one another."

Yep. The show is catching up to the books when they were a convoluted mess and it's struggling to find a concise narrative thread that ties everything togeather. Then the show wasted a bunch of time and now it's rushing to the finish line that is 2 years away and we are stil mostly in book 5 content

Bit of a nothing episode which solidified this season as "oops the book isn't done yet".

But here is what will happen from here:

Episode 9

Ramsay dies, of course we are not going to end the season with Jon getting killed again.
But more importantly? The giant is so dead.

Episode 10

Iron isles guys show up to help save the day
Cersei blows up all the poor/religious areas of the city.
Jaime hears about said blowing up, does his redemption arc in 14 seconds and decides not to go back to Cersei, instead goes north and runs into LSH

No way they bothered to bring back the scooby gang up north while having Brienne be all conflicted without going through with that plotline.

I dont see the problem with them not showing Arya fighting. She has been training while blind and the waif has not. Arya cut the lights so she had the advantage. Nothing else needs to be shown.

It's just anticlimatic. After watching two seasons of this garbage arc, I was hoping it would at least end with a cool fight or something so it didn't feel like a complete waste of time.

Enosh

oh god they actually did the "gz, you killed the person send after you now you are one of us!" bullshit with Arya only for her to tell them "lolz, I actually don't want to be one of you!"

what an utterly shit storyline

hound stuff was fun, will see if it goes anywhere, Jamie is getting fucked over harder than Stannis at this point, Tyrion, eh was okay I guess

I assume Yara's dozen or so ships plus dragons are going to beat back the masters fleet

duckroll

oh god they actually did the "gz, you killed the person send after you now you are one of us!" bullshit with Arya only for her to tell them "lolz, I actually don't want to be one of you!"

Don't forget the dramatic music that swells up as she says those words and walks away!

Wowww I'm glad I don't normally pay attention to this thread or probably the whole of the internet when it comes to GoT.

I think pretty much this whole season has been fantastic. I'm entertained and looking forward to what happens next and I guess that's all that matters to me.

Edit: I dont know if im in the right thread lol so I'll edit out half of what I said.

Forkball

This was an episode of the HBO television drama "Game of Thrones"

+I would watch a show about the Hound axing people who make dick jokes. The resolution to his episode long revenge saga was pretty anticlimatic, but not necessarily in a bad way. Though out of all the people who were speculated to come back this episode... it was Dondarrion. I don't think many people were calling that. But now they're going north to fight... the white walkers? Whaaaaaat? I suppose maybe they got a vision or something, but I'm not sure what a dozen dudes with rusty swords are supposed to do against the might of Ice Mordor.

+King's Landing was short, but memorable. In contrast to Margaery's clever and careful scheming, we get Cersei's "what if I just killed everyone?" ideology. Disappointment filled all of us when we learned that the Cleganebowl was officially canceled. It's understandable from a story standpoint, since the Mountain is basically Cersei's only trump card so the High Sparrow would of course try to neutralize it. Also we can all agree that trial by combat is the biggest loophole ever. Her little chat with Qyburn is definitely hinting at wildfire. The Mad Queen is coming.

+/- I see a lot of people here badmouthing the siege of Riverrun, but I thought it was mostly good. I mean, it's pretty close to the books in terms of what happens. Jaime does send in Edmure, who turns over the castle after a baby catapult threat. I liked the conversation between Brienne and Jamie. Their past relationship and conflicting loyalties add tension and intrigue to every scene they share. Though I agree with everyone here that I'm tired of Jaime's obsession with his sister. I guess he will finally turn on her if she uses wildfire to burn down the city, but it will feel so unsatisfying that it took just one event, no matter how extreme, to completely make a 180 on her despite his almost fanatical devotion to Cersei.

- I seriously wonder what Peter Dinklage thought about this season after he read the script. He's not bad, but outside of a handful of scenes, they are complete filler. He was a major character and now he is just twiddling his thumbs. Good god, that "joke" segment went on for an absurd amount of time. And then Dany just rolls up out of nowhere. The tension was completely killed. I was impressed at the CGI for the attack on Mereen at least.

- I cannot think of a more bizarre conclusion to Arya's storyline. I get the theme that she had to hide her identity for so long, and then finally embraces it, but it was done in an emotionally unsatisfying way. Remember last season when Arya was tasked to throw away her belongings, but hid her sword? That scene was so well done, and when she finally reclaimed it, you expected it to be a monumental turning point for the character. But nope, teenage terminator is coming so time to fetch it. And this may be the complete conclusion to the Faceless Men in the show. "You are finally no one." WHAT. How does that make ANY sense? And then Jaqen just lets her go. "Alright, no biggie. Hey try not to tell everyone about our magical assassin cult, thanks." In the books, there are all these hints and mysteries surrounding the organization, and people have theories that they could have a major affect on future or past events. Jaqen ain't at Oldtown for no reason. But in the show they are just some weird dudes who kill the local folk. Arya's overall story arc in the book is a bit of a mystery I admit. Many people don't know how she fits into the big picture, but I definitely don't see what she's supposed to do now. Go to Winterfell? And do what? Chill? Hug Sansa? Ughhhhh

Next week looks exciting though. But is it really going to be a "battle only" episode? I hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom