• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

- I seriously wonder what Peter Dinklage thought about this season after he read the script. He's not bad, but outside of a handful of scenes, they are complete filler. He was a major character and now he is just twiddling his thumbs. Good god, that "joke" segment went on for an absurd amount of time. And then Dany just rolls up out of nowhere. The tension was completely killed. I was impressed at the CGI for the attack on Mereen at least.

If he didn't read the books and complained about that, they would probably hand him a few Tyrion chapters of the recent books so he'll go "oh thank god" instead. If he read the books, he wouldn't be complaining at all.

Tyrion's twiddling his thumbs this season, but at least he isn't wondering where whores go. Could always be worse!

Never forget.

gotmp090715ep608-09801jpg-c1037a_765w.jpg

I felt really uncomfortable watching her run and jump with a knife in hand.

I don't get why people think Arya's show time was wasted. She wasn't just training to be faceless, she was training to kill from the shadows, to blend in, to completely lose herself in a part and act like someone else; she can still do that without changing faces. Because she spent time learning these things, she'll now be a much more believable badass fighter-assassin, especially since she can now use the force to guide her lightsaber. She also had some character development - she started with this gigantic list of names of everyone she wanted to kill, that was her only motivation, now that's gone. She now knows herself much better, who she is, and realizes that not everyone on someone's list deserves to die (she started learning this with The Hound of course, but has now had it reinforced).

Sure it could have been handled better, but I don't think the way they ended it means the whole training sequence was a waste. She is now a character who can meaningfully affect the world.

LMAO so much for all those theories on that not actually being Arya, what a mess that was. Oh Dany is back and strolling in like a badass! I LOL'd. They've done even more to mess up Jaime's character in comparison to the books than they did Stannis but it was clear they were going to do this season the end of season four when they avoided he and Tyrion falling out.

Definitely the weakest episode of the season.

That IS the show though, stopping that would be getting rid of a massive part of its appeal.
Which is unfortunate.
Bwhahahahaha total T-1000 vibes as I was watching. Amazing.

So did I.

jett

D-Member
I can't imagine anyone not thinking of Terminator during that scene. It's like the showrunners have no self-awareness at all.

hom3land

All I could think during that chase scene is that Arya is being chased by the Terminator. So stupidly done. How was she miraculously all better and ready to fight once she got needle? She had just thrown herself down 200 meters of stone stairs that reopened her know wounds.

NeoGiff

Herpy-derpy-dooby-dooby.

54esAss.gif

Was this supposed to be threatening, or unintentionally hilarious? What is with characters awkwardly lumbering around this season? First we had Euron waddling up the cliff with his lemmings filing in behind (thanks Speevy), and now this.

Lothar

Banned
I don't get why people think Arya's show time was wasted. She wasn't just training to be faceless, she was training to kill from the shadows, to blend in, to completely lose herself in a part and act like someone else; she can still do that without changing faces. Because she spent time learning these things, she'll now be a much more believable badass fighter-assassin, especially since she can now use the force to guide her lightsaber. She also had some character development - she started with this gigantic list of names of everyone she wanted to kill, that was her only motivation, now that's gone. She now knows herself much better, who she is, and realizes that not everyone on someone's list deserves to die (she started learning this with The Hound of course, but has now had it reinforced).

Sure it could have been handled better, but I don't think the way they ended it means the whole training sequence was a waste. She is now a character who can meaningfully affect the world.

She hasn't even learned to be aware of her surroundings when she should be expecting an attack from faceless ninjas. Who the hell could take her seriously as a believable fighter-assassin?

I would expect her to get beat up with the first girl with a stick she comes across since that's what she did for 2 years.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
definitely the worst episode of the season. the hound, bronn and some of the king's landing stuff was good, but the rest was pretty awful.

and can't believe some people are still hoping to see stoneheart. let it go, folks.

NeoGiff

I can't imagine anyone not thinking of Terminator during that scene. It's like the showrunners have no self-awareness at all.

All I could think during that chase scene is that Arya is being chased by the Terminator. So stupidly done. How was she miraculously all better and ready to fight once she got needle? She had just thrown herself down 200 meters of stone stairs that reopened her know wounds.

What are you guys talking about? It's the greatest footchase in cinematic history!

Wowww I'm glad I don't normally pay attention to this thread or probably the whole of the internet when it comes to GoT.

I think pretty much this whole season has been fantastic. I'm entertained and looking forward to what happens next and I guess that's all that matters to me.

Edit: I dont know if im in the right thread lol so I'll edit out half of what I said.
It's been a solid season for me. Not sure why people think things are going south. Eh whatever.

Next week is going to be an instant-classic.

munchie64

Well they were 7 for 7 this season. Couldn't last forever I guess :/

That Hound stuff was damn fun tho. I was legit thinking that Beric woulda died off screen for some reason (even without LS) and I'm glad the Brotherhood weren't doing that shit.

I also liked the King's Landing and Mereen stuff (which seems different to most here). That fucking CG of the ships attacking was fucking good stuff. Soooo excited for next week.
Something so simple can't really be screwed up. Even with Watchers on the Wall being in the middle of a meh Jon storyline, it was fucking amazing, so a good storyline conclusion should be even better.

Edit: Oh and Jaime and Edmure was legit scene too.

Akim

Banned
Surprisingly, out of all of my friends I am the only one that though this was a terrible episode.

It feels like this is the third "filler" episode. Too many in my opinion. As people have said before, nothing really moved.

Liked:

• Everything about The Hound and Brotherhood
  • The Mountain doing work
  • Kingslanding stuff

Disliked:

• The Tyrion scenes dragged on forever and were hard to watch
  • Dany coming in out of nowhere - hey guys what's going on in here
  • OFFSCREEN DEATHS
  • The corny line between Jaquen and Arya
  • No twist with the Arya thing - she was just stabbed a bunch of times, did parkour, and is cool now?

Meh:
  • The Riverrun stuff

NeoGiff

It's been a solid season for me. Not sure why people think things are going south. Eh whatever.

Next week is going to be an instant-classic.

It's absolutely fine to disagree with the dissenters - there's no accounting for taste, and without differing opinions, discussion would be boring.

However, you need only look at the dialogue to notice a significant change. It's less rich, less period-authentic, and more jarring than it was in the earlier seasons. That's just one thing that can't be put up to debate. The evidence is quite literally in the writing. The dialogue then further extrapolating itself into making the content of the actual discussions anachronistic in itself is another thing entirely, but still a problem, in my opinion.

Evidently, the show is tonally different since going completely off-book. This isn't a book purist argument, I'm just stating certain self-evident facts of the show's current form.

NeoGiff

I just thought of something else.

When Arya cut off the Waif's face, shouldn't there have been another one underneath?

As per the end of season 5, we saw Jaqen kill himself, and the Waif pull off her face and reveal herself to be another Jaqen. Hence, the face has already been added to the Hall, and the original Waif is already dead.

Fuck this, I'm clearly putting more thought into it than D&D did. At least it's all over.

Well they were 7 for 7 this season. Couldn't last forever I guess :/

That Hound stuff was damn fun tho. I was legit thinking that Beric woulda died off screen for some reason (even without LS) and I'm glad the Brotherhood weren't doing that shit.

I also liked the King's Landing and Mereen stuff (which seems different to most here). That fucking CG of the ships attacking was fucking good stuff. Soooo excited for next week.
Something so simple can't really be screwed up. Even with Watchers on the Wall being in the middle of a meh Jon storyline, it was fucking amazing, so a good storyline conclusion should be even better.

Edit: Oh and Jaime and Edmure was legit scene too.
The Hound, Thoros and Beric was great stuff. So happy to see the two of them back.

The ships attacking Mereen was also great.

When Arya cut off the Waif's face, shouldn't there have been another one underneath?

As per the end of season 5, we saw Jaqen kill himself, and the Waif pull off her face and reveal herself to be another Jaqen. Hence, the face has already been added to the Hall, and the original Waif is already dead.

Fuck this, I'm clearly putting more thought into it than D&D did. At least it's all over.

You're not the only one. I was thinking about that last night.

munchie64

You're right, but I dunno if that was ever the case for the show. Didn't one of them have Arya's face on in that scene?

Maybe it will pay off (can she just be like "fuck it, I'm going to use what I've learned for disguises/faces" anyway or does she need to be close to the nearest Faceless Man Storage House?) but holy fuck, Arya's story feels like a colossal waste of time. What did she learn?

-Wants to become a faceless man/assassin
-Joins them
-Becomes adept at oysters, clams, and cockles
-Kills a few people
-Is blinded
-Learns to fight with a staff
-Still kinda doesn't become a good assassin so she is almost assassinated but then she survives and rejects all this "no name" nonsense, to which Jaqen gives a "that was the whole lesson all along" teacher smile and lets her go

What the fuck?

Not a single memorable character from it, either. Jaqen is a worse character for it, just because it all felt so damned arbitrary.

Agreed on Tyrion being wasted. Jokes scene--awful, awful, awful. So forced and unsuccessful. The siege itself looked fantastic but Dany just appearing=yeah sure okay.

Jaime/Brienne stuff was ACE. Brienne has been pretty great this season. I forgot how much I love their interaction together and their special brand of chemistry. They make each other more interesting.

Really enjoyed Beric/Brotherhood coming back. I like their interactions, particularly with the Hound. The execution negotiation was amusing.

Next episode looks NUTS.

bengraven

Am I the only one who enjoyed the Arya/Crane scene where they talk about where she will go? The sparkling in Maisie's eyes and the optimistic tone as she said that she could be the first person to see what was west of Westeros reminded me of how she reacted around Jon, back when she was much more innocent. I think Crane was the first person she could trust since Jon in fact.

Tuck

Agreed with the psts that said Tyrion has been wasted this season. I guess he did make that deal with the old masters (Which immediately blew up in his face). Kind of a waste.

If he didn't read the books and complained about that, they would probably hand him a few Tyrion chapters of the recent books so he'll go "oh thank god" instead. If he read the books, he wouldn't be complaining at all.

Tyrion's twiddling his thumbs this season, but at least he isn't wondering where whores go. Could always be worse!

Tyrion's story in the book was great, I don't get the hate.

hiryu

I think this season has been great but this episode is easily the worst of the season. This episode is season 5 quality. It really feels like this is the episode they used to save their budget. Too many scenes that were cut away.

The Good
-Hound
-Cersei

The Bad
-Everything else. The Bravos and Riverun story lines seem pointless and like complete waste. Not to mention some of the absurdities that happened in them. Arya basically learned nothing and acted like an idiot. Riverun soldiers listening to Edmure after just ignoring him the episode before.

NeoGiff

Am I the only one who enjoyed the Arya/Crane scene where they talk about where she will go? The sparkling in Maisie's eyes and the optimistic tone as she said that she could be the first person to see what was west of Westeros reminded me of how she reacted around Jon, back when she was much more innocent. I think Crane was the first person she could trust since Jon in fact.

I loved it too. But it's just another example of the scenes in which characters talk being great, but the overall story arc surrounding them being confusing at best.

I'm surprised people are expecting the showrunners to expand and go into more detail of storylines when they're supposed to be closing them down.

Also, Arya did become "No One". No One isn't a name, all the assassins have names. It's just a bestowed honor.

hoos30

WTF with this episode? This is the most disappointed I've been through the entire series. The Arya stuff was just terrible.

Forkball

Herpy-derpy-dooby-dooby.

54esAss.gif

Was this supposed to be threatening, or unintentionally hilarious? What is with characters awkwardly lumbering around this season? First we had Euron waddling up the cliff with his lemmings filing in behind (thanks Speevy), and now this.

0F6il0q.gif

rdytoroll

Herpy-derpy-dooby-dooby.

54esAss.gif

biDFHU0.gif

Geist-

At what point would she have set up this plan though? It seemed like more of a "hey, I'll just run here and do this since I'm close to my room" kind of thing rather than a whole plan or a lure. She drank milk of the poppy and was knocked out. She easily could have been killed during that time.
My assumption was that the multiple stab wound to the gut wasn't a part of the plan.

Turin

Banned
I loved it too. But it's just another example of the scenes in which characters talk being great, but the overall story arc surrounding them being confusing at best.

I'm not sure I've loved and hated a scene at the same time as much as I did with Jaime & Edmure. The actors were on point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom