• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cromwell

Banned
Cleganebowl is stupid and should not happen in the books.

Well, it's going to. I can't see any reason to bring The Hound back other than for him to eventually get a strange sort of half-revenge by killing the reanimated corpse of his brother. His hatred for him has driven him since the beginning.

Somehow meeting up with Arya would be the only other reason for him to still be in the story, but that happening seems like it would be even more contrived.

But you know that's not a thing, right? There's no amount of training that can teach you to fight a person when you're blindfolded. That's magical Daredevil powers.

Google tells me there are a number of blind people who have earned black belts, but whatever. I'm not going to go out of my way to defend that scene. :p

Kain

The less we think about Arya, the stabbing, the running, the T-1000 and Jaqen, the better.

Now, important stuff, will Ramsay truly die? Will he become a wight? Will he become the Night King (why the fuck not? logic has no room where Invincible Joffrey is involved)? Will he become a dragon? Will he fuse with the remaining 16 good men and become Megazord?

Pkaz01

So moving forward with the story instead of discussing a shitty episode that was poorly written but did move things forward. Now that the training arc has finished who else thinks we will see Jaqen in the citadel next season?

Speevy

Banned
The less we think about Arya, the stabbing, the running, the T-1000 and Jaqen, the better.

Now, important stuff, will Ramsay truly die? Will he become a wight? Will he become the Night King (why the fuck not? logic has no room where Invincible Joffrey is involved)? Will he become a dragon? Will he fuse with the remaining 16 good men and become Megazord?

Ice Ramsay

duckroll

What are the odds the wall falls down at the end of the season?

Also, what was the point of the entire riverrun arc?

I still think it's a bit too soon, but it's not impossible. The point of the Riverrun arc was simply to move characters around to resolve loose ends. Jaime has to meet with Brienne one more time to come to terms with their initial agreement and give her his blessing to keep the sword. Edmure has to surrender the castle so his character status is not "captured at major event and never heard from again". The Blackfish has to die so his status is not "oh he escaped the Red Wedding, he's going to come back anytime now!!!"

With all that out of the way, they can now move forward with the surviving characters without ever having to revisit this unimportant loose end.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Google tells me there are a number of blind people who have earned black belts, but whatever. I'm not going to go out of my way to defend that scene. :p

I don't get why the showrunners opted to kill the warg angle for everyone but Bran. Arya bested the attacker while blind because she saw the attack coming from the cat sitting in the rafters.

Jon has warg stuff. Rikon was warging like 90% of the time...

Now it's "She's just daredevil or some shit. Whatever."

Kain

I still think it's a bit too soon, but it's not impossible. The point of the Riverrun arc was simply to move characters around to resolve loose ends. Jaime has to meet with Brienne one more time to come to terms with their initial agreement and give her his blessing to keep the sword. Edmure has to surrender the castle so his character status is not "captured at major event and never heard from again". The Blackfish has to die so his status is not "oh he escaped the Red Wedding, he's going to come back anytime now!!!"

With all that out of the way, they can now move forward with the surviving characters without ever having to revisit this unimportant loose end.

To be fair, nobody remembered the Blackfish, so this was a loose end that didn't need tieing (sp?). And of course his offscreen death was all kinds of stupid. At least we didn't suffer another bad death like with Barristan (still salty about that, what a shitfest season 5 was)

I don't get why the showrunners opted to kill the warg angle for everyone but Bran. Arya bested the attacker while blind because she saw the attack coming from the cat sitting in the rafters.

Jon has warg stuff. Rikon was warging like 90% of the time...

Now it's "She's just daredevil or some shit. Whatever."

Probably because they found out the Warg stuff goes nowhere in the books.

A good rule of thumb at this point is, if it gets dropped in the show it is because George didn't make it important to the resolution of the story.

It's kind of obvious that he put a lot of stuff in the stories that he thought was cool, or gritty, or dark without having any real idea what plans he had for it.

Cracklox

Well add me to the list of people fanfic'ing about Arya last week, and then being proved wrong in a totally underwhelming way. Pretty poorly done. I liked the rest of the episode though

So Blackfish died off screen huh. No one 'dies' offscreen. What are the odds he's actually just gone for another piss and will be back in a couple of seasons.

And good to see the BwB back. I'd never noticed before but the guy playing Beric looks and talks a lot like Jorah. Anone seen them in the same room together before...

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Probably because they found out the Warg stuff goes nowhere in the books.

A good rule of thumb at this point is, if it gets dropped in the show it is because George didn't make it important to the resolution of the story.

It's kind of obvious that he put a lot of stuff in the stories that he thought was cool, or gritty, or dark without having any real idea what plans he had for it.

That's so odd though. Arya being able to warg into animals would've aided assassinations tons. Scout out a place, have a rat drop poison into a glass...

Is Martin really that bad at exploring something he set up as a genetic trait in common amongst the Starks?

That's so odd though. Arya being able to warg into animals would've aided assassinations tons. Scout out a place, have a rat drop poison into a glass...

Is Martin really that bad at exploring something he set up as a genetic trait in common amongst the Starks?

I'm pretty sure she doesn't know how to control her warging in the books (meaning it's not something she can do intentionally).

Edit: Never mind, I get what you mean.

kirblar

Well add me to the list of people fanfic'ing about Arya last week, and then being proved wrong in a totally underwhelming way. Pretty poorly done. I liked the rest of the episode though

So Blackfish died off screen huh. No one 'dies' offscreen. What are the odds he's actually just gone for another piss and will be back in a couple of seasons.

And good to see the BwB back. I'd never noticed before but the guy playing Beric looks and talks a lot like Jorah. Anone seen them in the same room together before...
Blackfish was a loose end like Osha. At least he didn't get killed by Ramsay.
I'm pretty sure she doesn't know how to control her warging in the books (meaning it's not something she can do intentionally).
I'm pretty sure this is why her arc on the show made no sense- remove the warging, you remove the whole point. It's not a personal growth arc, it's a "Arya accidentally learns a superpower" arc.

duckroll

To be fair, nobody remembered the Blackfish, so this was a loose end that didn't need tieing (sp?). And of course his offscreen death was all kinds of stupid. At least we didn't suffer another bad death like with Barristan (still salty about that, what a shitfest season 5 was)

You don't remember, some people do. The writers just want to clean all this stuff up before the finale arc. Same with Benjen!

I'm pretty sure this is why her arc on the show made no sense- remove the warging, you remove the whole point. It's not a personal growth arc, it's a "Arya accidentally learns a superpower" arc.

Hey, I don't disagree. I'm not trying to defend that scene. There wasn't much point in her going to the faceless men at all, her character is essentially back where it was at the end of season 4. The show has often been guilty of imitating scenes from the book without understanding the context surrounding them.

Gendry appears next episode and dies, you heard it here first.
So Blackfish died off screen huh. No one 'dies' offscreen.

Stannis did.

Ri'Orius

But you know that's not a thing, right? There's no amount of training that can teach you to fight a person when you're blindfolded. That's magical Daredevil powers.

It's not that Arya blind > Arya sighted, it's that Arya blind > Waif blind. Blindfolded Arya would've lost to a sighted Waif (as she'd done in every training session), but because Arya had very recent experience fighting this exact person blind and the Waif hadn't Arya had an advantage when both were in the dark.

Or if nothing else, it would make sense that killing the lights would make the fight more of a crapshoot, thus maximizing Arya's chance for survival. If given the choice between playing a chess grandmaster in chess or rock-paper-scissors, I'd take the RPS any day. I wouldn't win 100% of the time, but my winrate would be way higher than in chess.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Uh? people think it will happen in the books? I'm talking only about the show.

I think Cleganebowl makes sense for the show because it adds spectacle like the Hardhome battle. For the books, I think it would not make sense to get Sandor out of his gravedigger retirement (if that theory is true of course).

Sandor hates his brother, and as far as he knows his brother is dead, so now he is trying something different. But if he hears some giant dude is fighting for the lannisters again he may go put him down out of a sense of justice or hate.

KahooTs

The FM for book Arya is primarily about two things. Firstly learning to change her face and take on identities so she can infiltrate various places in Westeros and run game. Secondly its the continuation of her path to deciding she has no right to judge and punish wherever she wills. The show accomplished the first, I forgot but apparently she was taught to change faces somewhere in all that crap. And the show couldn't give a shit about the sort of character growth that is the second.

Jibbed

The FM for book Arya is primarily about two things. Firstly learning to change her face and take on identities so she can infiltrate various places in Westeros and run game. Secondly its the continuation of her path to deciding she has no right to judge and punish wherever she wills. The show accomplished the first, I forgot but apparently she was taught to change faces somewhere in all that crap. And the show couldn't give a shit about the sort of character growth that is the second.

I wouldn't be surprised if her taking the Waif's face and Jaqen finally calling her "no one' is indication that she has in fact learnt how to disguise herself as other people.

Clearly didn't take much for the Waif to use that ability extensively over the past few episodes anyway.

duckroll

Seriously though... why did someone in Braavos write a pro-Joffery play.

I'm not sure why that's so unusual. Braavos is a free city and a port, which means you get all sorts. It's not some sort of city in open rebellion or anything. I'm sure there are satirical plays which make fun of the crown in King's Landing, but at the same time there could easily be ones which simply attempt to dramatize the "popular" narrative as well.

hoos30

I'm not asking for a realistic battle. I just want something less simple than the typical formula : good army in front of bad army -> speech -> charge.

Making a simple ambush or pincer movement could actually add more climactic action than a lot of singular combat shots.

They have shown both of those before. Robb vs the Lannisters and Stannis vs. Mance.

Hystzen

So with how much of Jamie's arc been fucked up (it was perfect until end of season 3) are we going to assume Brans prophesy about him fighting a mountain shall never happen.

"One shadow was as dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armoured like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armour made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood."

The hound and Jaime tag team was my most hyped outcome and perfect end for Jaimes redemption

duckroll

So with how much of Jamie's arc been fucked up (it was perfect until end of season 3) are we going to assume Brans prophesy about him fighting a mountain shall never happen.

"One shadow was as dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armoured like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armour made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood."

The hound and Jaime tag team was my most hyped outcome and perfect end for Jaimes redemption

Was that ever in the show?

You know dragons also aren't a thing, neither are faceless men, white walkers, or giants. If we can have all of that then I don't see why it's such a stretch that Arya could learn to fight while blind. Also in this case both combatants were blinded so the one who was training in that state had a clear advantage.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Arya recovering from multiple stab wounds via a good nights sleep like an RPG character has to count under superpowers as well, right?

duckroll

I don't remember what they did with Bran in first few seasons just odd as it a big deal in books Brans prophecies and we had this season with him jumping around timelines.

It's not odd. The books are the books and the show is the show. They have different foreshadowing, and different prophecies, so it would be a mistake to mix them. If the show has included a prophecy from the book, then it means down the line they will use it. If they chose to omit it or use something different, then it wouldn't be reasonable to expect something that wasn't even in the show to eventually play out that way.

Bran still has visions in the show, they're not the same visions as the book. Some are the same, some are different. Dany's visit to the House of the Undying is totally different from the books, and the show's visions apply to the show. IIRC they specifically bothered to include the scene of Sansa building a snow Winterfell, and Robin "the giant" knocking it down. And now.... a giant approaches Winterfell.

Zabka

Arya recovering from multiple stab wounds via a good nights sleep like an RPG character has to count under superpowers as well, right?

There was a whole scene showing someone treating her wounds and then they made it a point to show that they opened up again towards the end of the chase.

But yeah superpowers amirite

God I'm hoping the cersi storyline at least plays out well. I fully expect to see her standing on a balcony watching the Sept of baelor crumbled and burning along with half the city.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I'm guessing that sometimes between scenes weeks/months pass by because of how quickly they seem to travel. But Cersei's hair just won't grow back.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
God I'm hoping the cersi storyline at least plays out well. I fully expect to see her standing on a balcony watching the Sept of baelor crumbled and burning along with half the city.

I would be fine with this solution if Tommen dies as well during the Fire. What a disgrace...he makes the Iron Throne looks bad - why fight for it if the King is such a pushover.

Kozak

Banned
There was a whole scene showing someone treating her wounds and then they made it a point to show that they opened up again towards the end of the chase.

But yeah superpowers amirite

Yeah multiple stab wounds, one that was twisted, healed because they were wrapped in bandages haha

They completely fucked that up.

It really makes no sense at all and I'm pretty disappointed that the guys in this thread shooting down the theories and yelling "the shows writing sucks" came out ahead on this one.

Didn't anyone stop and reflect while writing that shit, "woah usually getting stabbed in this show is an instant death. Are we sure we want to have her survive multiple stabbings?"

Yeah multiple stab wounds, one that was twisted, healed because they were wrapped in bandages haha

They completely fucked that up.

It really makes no sense at all and I'm pretty disappointed that the guys in this thread shooting down the theories and yelling "the shows writing sucks" came out ahead on this one.

Didn't anyone stop and reflect while writing that shit, "woah usually getting stabbed in this show is an instant death. Are we sure we want to have her survive multiple stabbings?"

Feels like it could have been a damn easy fix. Arya gets cornered by the Waif but manages to get into a struggle with her and leaves with a single stab wound to the shoulder or a slash to the abdomen. Enough to cause her significant distress but something that wouldn't make it entirely unrealistic to see her sprinting the next day. They really should have thought this through.

This is why "It's just a flesh wounds", "The bullet just grazed me" was created for film and TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom