• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cromwell

Banned
On today's episode of The Watch, Andy Greenwald said "Book readers love Dorne." I laughed even though I'm one of the book readers who does.

Can there be a moratorium on non-book readers talking about the book? It's always really weird when they do.

Book readers generally like Doran, that's about it. What you're describing sounds like the definition of someone talking out of their ass if they haven't even read the books.

Syrus

Banned
Ehat the fuck with offscreen death?

Waif and Blackfish??

I mean I het it. Arya learned to fight in the dark. But blackfish??

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here, but I want to know.

What the hell is "shipping"?

I mean, I've heard people talking about it a lot over the last few years, but it's really confusing to me. Is it:

A. People imagining fictional characters in a relationship, and wanking over the prospect.
B. People simply imagining fictional characters in a relationship.

If it's A, call me prudish, but I think it's a bit weird.
If it's B, why does it even warrant specific terminology? That's so weird. It just seems so odd to me that people say "I ship them" and supposedly mean "I imagine these people in a relationship". What the hell?

Regardless of what it is, it seems to be an American creation that's quite alien and seems kind of pointless to a lot of us over here.

Some history...

The activity of fans creating relationships for fictional characters far predates the term. Though the word "ship" is a truncation of "relationship", where and when it was first used to indicate involvement with fictional relationships is unclear. The first "ship" that became widely popular and accepted was the characters Kirk and Spock from the television show Star Trek. This began in the mid-1970s,[1] and was often referred to as Kirk/Spock, and later "K/S". This is why relationships between two men are now often referred to as "slash".

NeoGiff

It's the "creation" part of it that I don't understand. Is it simply "created" in people's heads, or do people who actively ship also actively write about these random relationships? It's so strange.

Kinda old but I just watched this Preston Jacobs video where he had a round table dinner with GRRM. It's sort of sad and hilarious when he starts asking him about his other works in Science Fiction and Plato and how it ties to ASOIAF and GRRM basically says he wrote it a long time ago he doesn't remember much about it. Felt bad for him.

Gigglepoo

Kinda old but I just watched this Preston Jacobs video where he had a round table dinner with GRRM. It's sort of sad and hilarious when he starts asking him about his other works in Science Fiction and Plato and how it ties to ASOIAF and GRRM basically says he wrote it a long time ago he doesn't remember much about it. Felt bad for him.

Years ago, I asked Amy Hennig if she was influenced by Robinson Crusoe when writing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune because both turn on the protagonist seeing a footprint in the mud (among other similarities). She wrote back saying she hadn't read that in her research for the game but had read it years earlier in school so who knows.

I think that's a common theme for writers. There are certainly direct homages that are planned by writers but I think a lot of elements seep in through ones unconscious from years back. Preston Jacobs, as Martin acknowledge, might have a better understanding of his much of his work at this point.

mantidor

It's the "creation" part of it that I don't understand. Is it simply "created" in people's heads, or do people who actively ship also actively write about these random relationships? It's so strange.

It's both really. Ok warning, long post ahead, I think the whole thing is fascinating.

As much as it sucks to generalize in stereotypes, historically most of slash fiction comes from women, we men eroticize our favorites fictional characters in "Top 5" lists of who is the hottest and it highly depends on the actor or how the character is physically portrayed, for women that is usually not enough, they are more drawn to dramatic stories, so slash is born. As mentioned the most famous pairing is Kirk/Spock, but it certainly does not stop there. It's escapism, from what I've read women write slash sometimes to feel some degree of safety distancing themselves from the couple, I guess our sexist culture does that to people. It also comes from the taboo of homosexual relationships and how little representation it used to have, so that sense of dealing with something "forbidden" can be exiting. Taboo things like incest are also very popular, there's lot of fanfiction on the brothers of Supernatural for instance, way before Game of Thrones existed and threw incest into the mainstream.

Not that there aren't gay men or even straight men thinking about this fiction, surely they are, but it's more or less a minority. I as a gay guy will also write a top 5 hottest male character in Game of Thrones, I do not see the appeal of convoluted fan fiction, and so would most of my friends.

Shipping is more like a light version of it, and is mostly a "they look cute as a couple" kind of thing, and I'm positive is also mostly a women thing, pairings are more varied too.

Now with a show/series like GoT/ASOIAF with so many characters and so many strong female characters the fandom is really varied and you are going to get a lot of these shippings. Take the girl who does those hilarious tl:dw recaps on reddit, even her cannot help to ship Tormund x Jon (and in a way Jon x Sansa), even if it's a joke.

Lothar

Banned
Don't forget about Sansa x Arya...

I didn't.

Sophie already started working on that one.

CJlN9hyWUAA4IGG.jpg

31-times-maisie-williams-and-sophie-turner-made-u-2-7492-1461678746-4_dblbig.jpg

mantidor

I'm ok with Arya's, besides the absurdity of surviving the stab wounds actually killing the Waif in a dark room was clever and that cut of the candle was indeed cool.

But that Blackfish explanation is total BS. Respect? first Stannis and now him? To hell with that, make up another excuse, this one is awful. The worst is that they've done respectful deaths like for instance how Yoren died fighting to the end, so their explanation makes no sense, just say you didn't had the budget/time or something.

Speevy

Banned
So in that case it was part necessity [not to show her death] but more cleverly just great storytelling and great planning from the writers."

0_o

"In the case of the Blackfish, it was really a storytelling call," Mylod said. "What do we gain from [showing his death]? The most important tonal story would be - at least for me and I can probably speak for the writers here - to show the passing of this great old school warrior with a real warrior's death, a kind of samurai death," he continued.

The Blackfish is not a fucking samurai.

He took back Riverrun in the show to free it from the Freys, who have his nephew.

This means he realizes that hundreds of like-minded men will rally around the leader of a worthy cause, so escaping (especially given the opportunity) should have been the first thing on his mind. Even if he had been resigned to die, and totally defeated, giving him another chance to save his family would have been the redemption he sought.

I hate using the parameters of the book to judge the show, so using the parameters of the show to judge the show, he could have fought for Cat with an army of thousands against the family who was most instrumental in killing her. Why would he choose "making a damn fool of myself" with a sword over that?

These people who write this show make no sense.

Faddy

Banned
Outsmarting her would have involved not wandering the streets without a care and letting an old woman approach you while a group of assassins is looking for you :p

This is something most people are overlooking. Arya has no reason to think the Waif is after her. The only reason we know this is because we see the Waif backstage at the play and her scene with Jaqen.

Arya didn't kill the thin man for a while and nothing happened to her (she did get punished for misusing faces) so there is no reason to think the Faceless Men would come after her for not getting the job done in a day. Harrenhal Jaqen made it clear that death can take time.

Lothar

Banned
"He's a man who carries a lot of shame for not being in the right place at the right time at the Red Wedding," Mylod said. "He's carried that shame and here was a chance for at least a bit of personal redemption to give himself that moment of dignity."

Alright so he's again not going to be in the right place at the right time to help his family out because he's abandoning them to go commit suicide. What point does this idiot think he's making?

Personal redemption??? He just embarrassed and made a fool of himself for dying for no reason.

What is wrong with the people that make this show?

duckroll

Look, I think it's time for us to just accept that this show has no flaws, and that it's just great storytelling and great planning from the writers.

Faddy

Banned
She found a dark place to hide and attained a weapon. Also, Jaqen threatened to kill her if she failed.

She gathered her things and took some precaution but she still can't know the Waif is definitely after her.

And she had to go to the docks to arrange passage to Westeros so it wasn't like she was wandering the city for no reason.

Aurongel

0_o

The Blackfish is not a fucking samurai.

He took back Riverrun in the show to free it from the Freys, who have his nephew.

This means he realizes that hundreds of like-minded men will rally around the leader of a worthy cause, so escaping (especially given the opportunity) should have been the first thing on his mind. Even if he had been resigned to die, and totally defeated, giving him another chance to save his family would have been the redemption he sought.

I hate using the parameters of the book to judge the show, so using the parameters of the show to judge the show, he could have fought for Cat with an army of thousands against the family who was most instrumental in killing her. Why would he choose "making a damn fool of myself" with a sword over that?

These people who write this show make no sense.
Brienne tried making that point to him but he vainly brushed it off when he remarked that he didn't know what her signature looked like. He had no immediate reason to trust Brienne and it showed. Agree with you on ALL other points raised though.

Pkaz01

The director of the episode was terrible..

After a while it became evident that Arya was leaving a blood trail for the Waif to follow. Was this her plan all along, going back to the previous episode when she was hiring passage back to Westeros and standing on the bridge?

Personally, I don’t think so. You could certainly read into that. My choice is no. My choice is, in episode 7, the character has made her decision to leave the city, and really makes a mistake. She lets her guard down. We forget how young this kid is, and she makes a mistake. This is in my head, at least. Having booked passage with the captain, she has a moment of reverie where she’s looking over Braavos and particularly looking forward to making a move toward home to a new adventure. She’s not going to be this assassin, and she lets her guard down and nearly pays for it with her life. I think that, subsequently, she knows once she’s recovering at Lady Crane’s apartment that the Waif will come after her. She knows it’s inevitable. She hopes it won’t be there. That, in my head at least, in terms of my own internal logic, that is where the thought process is: How can I get myself to a position where I have an advantage over this character? In terms of [Arya] choosing that particular basement area where the character hides out — no windows, one door in, one door out, no other light sources — one could make the argument that she set that up long before then and is simply caught out in the open in episode 7.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016...-mylod-on-chases-decapitations-and-the-hound/

Clear to me now that he just fucked it all up and i am going to try erase it from memory because arya the idiot is hopefully not going to be the norm going forward. Hope this director isn't brought back.

Moff

incredibly bad payoff for a draggoîng plot that was never any good in the first place. arya is now second worst content of the show between the sand snakes and ramsay bolton.

Plasmid

The director of the episode was terrible..

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016...-mylod-on-chases-decapitations-and-the-hound/

Clear to me now that he just fucked it all up and i am going to try erase it from memory because arya the idiot is hopefully not going to be the norm going forward. Hope this director isn't brought back.

Seriously, this article just makes me dislike it even more. He made his own choices that he "believes" will fit into the universe BUT IT DOESN'T. Having Arya "end up" in the alley / cave with needle as a desperation move ruins all her forward progression that led up to this point. This guy should never direct GoT again.

Jigorath

Banned

Raynes

Seriously? The Broken Man had some of the best shots the show has ever had.

Did you even read the article?

After a while it became evident that Arya was leaving a blood trail for the Waif to follow. Was this her plan all along, going back to the previous episode when she was hiring passage back to Westeros and standing on the bridge?

Personally, I don’t think so. You could certainly read into that. My choice is no. My choice is, in episode 7, the character has made her decision to leave the city, and really makes a mistake. She lets her guard down. We forget how young this kid is, and she makes a mistake. This is in my head, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom