• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

What was more memorable about him?

He coulda been any generic Westeros knight thug.

Are you saying he could have been anyone in Westeros or anyone in BwB? To the former I agree and to the latter, the only people who knew his name were hardcore fans given that they never said he was Lem in the show.

Are you saying he could have been anyone in Westeros or anyone in BwB? To the former I agree and to the latter, the only people who knew his name were hardcore fans given that they never said he was Lem in the show.

Mostly the former, but yeah, agreed on both. I didn't even realize it was him until I checked the thread after.

Moff

I don't remember lem lemoncloak from the books either so I guess they translated that perfectly to the show

oi7jiL8.gif

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
so Maisie had the director turn down the action in that chase?
Damn. Lloyd really doesn't get ASOIAF - he makes good action, but much like the episode with Barry's death, it seems everyone is holding the idiot ball when he's directing.

Damn. Lloyd really doesn't get ASOIAF - he makes good action, but much like the episode with Barry's death, it seems everyone is holding the idiot ball when he's directing.

Oh god, I had blocked Barristan's death from my mind.

Yeah Lloyd doesn't seem to understand some of the characters- what he did with Hound and Ray... awesome. But the Arya stuff could have been handled so much better, even with how the material was written.

Barry lives, I will not hear these lies that there is a universe where the shitty gimped Show Version of Grey Worm solely leads Dany's army in Mereen. I mean, that's just crazy talk

I don't know if it's intentional or if they (shudder) didn't have enough time, but at least we're not wasting anymore time on his and Missandei's whatever-it-was.

Cromwell

Banned
From what I recall, Barristan's actor came out and said he thought his character's death was dumb and didn't exactly praise D&D on anything. It was an interview he gave after his last episode aired, can't remember where I read it though.

Gigglepoo

I wonder if D&D even pick up a lot of the underlying thematic elements in A Song of Ice and Fire. Like did they realize that Selmy and Jamie have the same arcs except in reverse? It's incredible how much they've botched almost every character. I mean, they turned Littlefinger from a devious mastermind to an idiot lickspittle. It's so baffling.

hoos30

Maisie should have said 'no' to the triple stab and knife twist. That would have prevented this self-inflicted injury the writers and directors caused here.

The whole house of black and white thing is a complete waste of time/filler-fest, even in the novels IMO. Just don't have anything else for Arya to do for a while and need to keep her somewhere. I'm just glad it's finally over in this version.

Yeah. I mean obviously in the books she's not going to become some super-ninja and come back and get delicious vengeance on...who? Nobody she knows or cares about is even alive anymore.

The point is she realizes that running away is not the answer, losing her identity to become a contract-killer / religious lunatic is not the answer. She's Arya and she's a Stark and she belongs in Westeros.

I love how it seems nothing is going to be explained on why Jaqen wasted all this time and the Waif's life to help Arya remember she's a Stark.

Huh? She was a cold-hearted girl who had a long list of people she wanted to kill. He thought she was a promising recruit. Turned out she didn't want to be "no one", she wanted to be Arya Stark.

I mean she gets this Jaqen guy to kill guards for her to escape Harrenhall, obtains a magic coin from him to escape Westeros no questions asked, is trained in the ancient ways of assassination guild, and....basically gets a conscience on her first real job and pisses it all away? It makes no fucking sense.

We haven't had multiple scenes of Arya pining for home or attempting to get information about what's happening in Westeros. We have no evidence that her plan is to go home at any point. She's troubled by her training and the methods but appears throughout to be understanding why Jaqen and the Waif do the things they do, to better her as a Faceless Man.

Yeah, her first "real job" was killing an innocent person -- whom she respected -- who had done absolutely nothing wrong, to satisfy someone else's jealousy. Of course this is when "real Arya" kicked in.

Kozak

Banned
Eh Arya's story will be a lot different in the books if they ever come out and it definitely won't be shit and pointless.

That much I do believe.

TBH after recent events, I don't think season 6, 7, and 8 will be similar to what the books would be at all. They'll just have the same end result.

NeoGiff

I have every bit of confidence that this is going to kick the shit out of Hardhome.

In Sapochnik we trust.

I'm not so sure though. Hardhome also had the benefit of being thematically sound in its action. It effectively transposed a built up threat from the written medium (reports, rumours, paranoia), to the visual (escalating, terrifying, relentless slaughter).

I honestly think Hardhome is a masterpiece of adaptation.

Jarmel

Banned
Jon's story arc this season has been just as bad as Tyrion's. Both characters are in this circling pattern where they don't do jack shit most of the season.

In Sapochnik we trust.

I'm not so sure though. Hardhome also had the benefit of being thematically sound in its action. It effectively transposed a built up threat from the written medium (reports, rumours, paranoia), to the visual (escalating, terrifying, relentless slaughter).

Agreed, honestly. I was being a bit hyperbolic of course, but this will definitely be one of the finest battles put on a tv screen.

That's a really great point though, how Hardhome was a culmination of the White Walker threat in both mediums. I think we'll get a roller coaster of emotions this week (epic, anguish, joy, etc) but nothing matches Hardhome for sheer terror and despair at what the characters are ultimately facing.

Betty

Banned
I think we'll get a roller coaster of emotions this week (epic, anguish, joy, etc) but nothing matches Hardhome for sheer terror and despair at what the characters are ultimately facing.

Plus it came out of nowhere, I wasn't expecting things to take off they way they did in Hardhome.

I'm really hoping Ramsey dies this season, with Tommen and High Sparrow following close behind.

In Sapochnik we trust.

Hardhome is truly brilliant execution on a truly nightmare scenario for the characters.

Battle of the Bastards can certainly be great in its own way, but I don't expect it to capture that sense of surprise, terror, and dread that made Hardhome hit so hard.

Plus it came out of nowhere, I wasn't expecting things to take off they way they did in Hardhome.

I'm really hoping Ramsey dies this season, with Tommen and High Sparrow following close behind.

The big thing I want out of this is Jon getting back to his old self. I want him to be the guy that killed a goddamn White Walker and stared down the Night's King (void of hope as he may have been at the time) as he sailed away in his boat.

I don't believe there's much more speculation to be had. LSH isn't going to happen because, really, she's not actually relevant to the story they have ATM. Right now they need to trim the fat and enter end-game territory and that means pointless squabbles are being squashed in service of the main story: white walkers.

They really don't seem like that big a threat to me to be honest. There only appear to be 3 of them or so, you can just tip some arrows with obsidian heads and wipe them out from a distance or kill them hand-to-hand with any obsidian weapon or valyrian steel, and dragons/wildfire/regular fire can wipe out their armies (and probably the white walkers as well).

duckroll

The offscreen account of what happened at Hardhome in the books, no?

The offscreen account of Jon travelling with Tormund to a meeting of wilding elders to form an alliance before they were set upon by an army of wights and while walkers led by a videogame boss character who is exclusive to the show? Must have missed that.

The offscreen account of Jon travelling with Tormund to a meeting of wilding elders to form an alliance before they were set upon by an army of wights and while walkers led by a videogame boss character who is exclusive to the show? Must have missed that.

Thus "adaptation". See your point though.

Matsukaze

I cannot imagine that all three of them make it out of this season alive.

I think Ramsay's going to bite the dust at the end of the Battle, either getting cut down by Jon or getting ripped apart by Ghost. I think Tommen will die in episode 10 to throw King's Landing into chaos (I can't even guess who or what will finally kill him), but I think the High Sparrow has a pretty good chance of surviving to keep stirring up shit next season.

High Sparrow is one of my favorite characters. I figure he's going to be killed sooner rather than later, due to how he's able to piss everyone off in KL's... but I'll be sad to see him go.

duckroll

How can anyone dislike the High Sparrow? He's the only bright spark these days in the entire King's Landing story arc. Remove him and it's just Cersei mopping and whining. Kevan simply can't carry the plot on the show. I guess maybe Mace Tyrell could step it up. Madness has had its day after all.

Aurongel

High Sparrow is absolutely dying soon but I see his death being more symbolic in the sense that it signals the complete collapse of everything at KL.

duckroll

Unless Jaime borrows Littlefinger's fast travel teleporter, I doubt it. They need an anchor for the King's Landing plot, and Pryce isn't going anywhere until they figure out something better. Plus we need him to have a scene with the Hound at least. There's an awesome climax for his redemption arc waiting for him in King's Landing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom