• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griss

I love that after everything we've seen from the Lannisters and Cersei in particular, somehow the person standing up to them and fighting for the poor is supposed to be 'the bad guy'.

Which is, to be fair, largely due to the negative reaction to religious characters or leaders in fiction these days imo.

Go High Sparrow, convert or kill all the Lannister scum!

Also, we're all in agreement that Cersei will set off the wildfire, it will reach the red keep and kill Tommen, right? I mean, that's just something that has to happen. Fits the characters, fits the plot of the season so far, fits the directors who love burning kids so much. Followed by twincest on top of his poor charred corpse.

dabig2

I love Ayatollah Bernie Sanders too much to see him go. I hope he survives whatever fuckery Cersei has planned. Everyone else has my permission to die. Kevan and Pycelle have been utterly useless, Tommen is already dead, and Margaery and Loras will be the casualties needed for the Tyrells to really piss on the Lannisters. Too bad Brutus didn't try to hold out for a little bit more cause shit is definitely going down.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The High Sparrow isn't a good guy though.

He manipulates other people to keep himself in power.

He's a good guy if he turns out to be Howland Reed.

And I'd say he's a good guy even is he isn't because he's holding the Lannisters responsible for what they've done.

duckroll

I don't think the High Sparrow cares about being "in power" so much as ensuring that his ideology survives. That's what makes him so dangerous. A man who is in power for the power itself can be bought or negotiated with. A man who is in power only to spread a belief is unmovable.

Griss

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that if it's in service of the greater good. Keeping the murderous and incestuous lannisters out of power and empowering the poor is certainly the greater good.

Kozak

Banned
Feels like this is the first time we're going to see an actual battle with actual battle tactics.

Yeah on Ramsay's end. They are going to school the fuck out of Jon I'm pretty sure.

There will obviously be some wins for Jon before KotV gets there but I'm thinking it will be a Ramsay masterclass.

I don't mind the High Sparrow. As in, I'm not rooting for either side. Just seeing what happens. Don't mind if he comes out ahead in KL.

Yeah, this is where I am, too. Don't get me wrong--Pryce is great (shocker)--but I don't have as much as invested when it was Tywin vs Tyrion, or Tyrion vs Cersei, or even just having Lady Tyrell there to mince words with them all.

I think part of that is the haphazard handling of the Sparrows. I really hate Lancel. He's uninteresting and is unbelievable as anyone to fear, which really paints the Sparrows, since he's kinda the "team lead."

I really enjoyed the throne scene w/Cersei being charged last episode, though. That was well done.

Kozak

Banned
EP9 PICS DISCUSSION

so it does look like Sansa is going to reveal to Jon that she has wrote for Petry's help and I guess she goes off to meet him? Jon looks pretty stunned in that photo

Speevy

Banned
EP9 PICS DISCUSSION

so it does look like Sansa is going to reveal to Jon that she has wrote for Petry's help and I guess she goes off to meet him? Jon looks pretty stunned in that photo

He looks like he's about to kill himself in all the photos I'v seen. He's no Aragorn, that's for sure.

Speevy

Banned
Yes, halfway through the battle the Bolton army becomes a phalanx for some reason.

Like it would have been in medieval times.

Lautaro

Is pretty common for small armies to defeat bigger ones but most of those cases used some sort of deception and ambushes, not presenting yourself to the enemy and just charging. I really hope I'm wrong but that is apparently what we''ll see in next episode.

Madness

Pretty obvious Littlefinger will show up at the right moment to save Jon and Sansa. Otherwise they wouldn't have had all those scenes for him.

Speevy

Banned
They're obviously setting up a situation next season where Littlefinger wants all the power for himself.

I would have liked to see Wyman Manderly win the day for Jon, though.

Matsukaze

They're obviously setting up a situation next season where Littlefinger wants all the power for himself.

I would have liked to see Wyman Manderly win the day for Jon, though.
Yeah, I imagine so. Littlefinger and the knights of the Vale are going to show up when the Stark army is on its very last legs. They'll help them seize victory, give Jon the opening to kill Ramsay, and then afterwards, Littlefinger will maneuver his way into ensuring the army stays put because the Stark army has been decimated and they'll need his help in smoothing out the wrinkles of securing power.

And then when the White Walkers start marching south, Littlefinger will be elsewhere. :p

Kozak

Banned
Really in the grand scheme of things, Sansa marrying Littlefinger would probably be her best decision ever.

- Littlefinger treats her nice
- Littlefinger is "friends" with everyone
- Nobody would be able to kill her easily
- He probably doesn't have much of a sex drive

duckroll

- He probably doesn't have much of a sex drive

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Maybe not for the average woman, but he has this weird obsession for Cat, and he sees Sansa as a substitute. It would be super awkward to be married to a man who is not only old enough to be your dad, but shouts your mom's name when he's fucking you. :)

God I hope book Jon is the complete opposite. Like he wrecks stuff and goes fighting round the world.

The only upside this episode, Sandor aside, was zombie mountain tearing off that head and Arya falling down the stair fruits.

my oranges!

mantidor

I love that after everything we've seen from the Lannisters and Cersei in particular, somehow the person standing up to them and fighting for the poor is supposed to be 'the bad guy'.

Which is, to be fair, largely due to the negative reaction to religious characters or leaders in fiction these days imo.

The show doesn't have time to show everything "bad" fanatics could do, but Loras being imprisoned for being gay is a clear red flag, even if it's simplistic, specially if the implication of him being sexually tortured is true.

And of course we all love to hate Cersei, but the walk of shame was also an awful, awful misogynistic thing, thinking that the poor are "ok" under these fanatics is naive at best.

Probably because they found out the Warg stuff goes nowhere in the books.

A good rule of thumb at this point is, if it gets dropped in the show it is because George didn't make it important to the resolution of the story.

It's kind of obvious that he put a lot of stuff in the stories that he thought was cool, or gritty, or dark without having any real idea what plans he had for it.
Why are we blaming George for what the show cuts out? There is so much legit criticism of Martin to choose from, why do people insist on making shit up?
That's so odd though. Arya being able to warg into animals would've aided assassinations tons. Scout out a place, have a rat drop poison into a glass...

Is Martin really that bad at exploring something he set up as a genetic trait in common amongst the Starks?
Why are we blaming George for what the show cuts out? Martin explores warging a great deal in the books; it certainly seems like how he intends to deal with Jon's resurrection. Warging helps Arya find out the Kind Man is the one who beats her. Maybe warging will play a part in her assassination training in the book. D&D don't care about Arya being a Faceless Man.

Yeah, her first "real job" was killing an innocent person -- whom she respected -- who had done absolutely nothing wrong, to satisfy someone else's jealousy. Of course this is when "real Arya" kicked in.
Her first job was the killing of the insurer, but she ignored that to kill Meryn Trant (and because Show Arya can't kill someone simply because they killed her friend Syrio (that was four seasons ago and nobody even remembers), they had to make him Snidely Pedophile). Book Arya kills the insurer without a qualm, and comes up with a clever way to do it.

Book Sparrow lusts for power. Has Show Sparrow done anything selfish? Pryce seems to be playing him straight.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Where the fuck has Mel been since Winterfell...also in retrospect...why even reveal she's an old naked woman anyway? I mean we get these Riverun scenes and then we spend all of episode 1 with the bloody red woman? This show confuses the fuck out of me.

RaidenZR

Where the fuck has Mel been since Winterfell...also in retrospect...why even reveal she's an old naked woman anyway? I mean we get these Riverun scenes and then we spend all of episode 1 with the bloody red woman? This show confuses the fuck out of me.

I was wondering this also. That and Ghost...?

Why are we blaming George for what the show cuts out? There is so much legit criticism of Martin to choose from, why do people insist on making shit up?

Why are we blaming George for what the show cuts out? Martin explores warging a great deal in the books; it certainly seems like how he intends to deal with Jon's resurrection. Warging helps Arya find out the Kind Man is the one who beats her. Maybe warging will play a part in her assassination training in the book. D&D don't care about Arya being a Faceless Man.

Her first job was the killing of the insurer, but she ignored that to kill Meryn Trant (and because Show Arya can't kill someone simply because they killed her friend Syrio (that was four seasons ago and nobody even remembers), they had to make him Snidely Pedophile). Book Arya kills the insurer without a qualm, and comes up with a clever way to do it.

Book Sparrow lusts for power. Has Show Sparrow done anything selfish? Pryce seems to be playing him straight.
Isn't the assumption here they're going off the bullet points that George RR Martin wrote for them so if someone dies, or something becomes unimportant, it means it doesn't matter at the end?

Or was the agreement to use his bullet points only if he died?

duckroll

The show is not the books. It doesn't matter how important certain things in the book may become if the direction of those stories have diverged in the show. The showrunners know certain beats that may happen in the unpublished books, but they're also free to pick and choose what they use and what they ignore, just like they were able to do so for all the published material so far.

Show != books.

I know there's differences and they can pick and choose, but until proven otherwise I'm going to assume every major character death in here is going to happen in the novels one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom