• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I could see a Children's show, featuring Davos as Carney the Dragon. Kids love that dodgy ole smuggler.

I have a sinking feeling we won't see The Hound, Beric and Thoros again until next season. :(

Hopefully they get some more face time somewhere amidst Battle of the Bastards and whatever chaos happens in the finale.

Gigglepoo

If the theory is we're only seeing characters and events that relate to the "endgame," then why would The Hound and the BwB be brought back? Surely, any minor role that they play going forward could be just as easily accomplished by another character, right?

Cromwell

Banned
If the theory is we're only seeing characters and events that relate to the "endgame," then why would The Hound and the BwB be brought back? Surely, any minor role that they play going forward could be just as easily accomplished by another character, right?

Yeah, which is why I think Cleganebowl is a go. The Hound has a pretty limited number of reasons to be relevant enough to re-introduce into the story.

Massa

Maybe they just really liked the Hound and wanted to write him back into the show, maybe they did it because he'll do something very important in season 7 or 8. Who knows.

Gigglepoo

Maybe they just really liked the Hound and wanted to write him back into the show, maybe they did it because he'll do something very important in season 7 or 8. Who knows.

I think it's the latter. I also think it's silly to think they're writing this story solely with the "endgame" in mind or that the show's story has any bearing on what will happen in the books.

I just wanted to hear theories for people who think every character and scene has to be hugely important in the narrative's wrap-up.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Because they are going to be Arya's Frey hunting buddies. The show hates having main characters alone and Arya needs someone to play off of in scenes.

Also D&D were more interested in wrapping up plotlines this season than being purely endgame focused. Hence why they brought back all those lose plot threads.

Because they are going to be Arya's Frey hunting buddies. The show hates having main characters alone and Arya needs someone to play off of in scenes.

Also D&D were more interested in wrapping up plotlines this season than being purely endgame focused. Hence why they brought back all those lose plot threads.
Yeah I can see Arya joining up with them, now that you've mentioned it. Not this season, but definitely next.

grandjedi6

Yeah I can see Arya joining up with them, now that you've mentioned it. Not this season, but definitely next.
Definitely next season. Arya's story is over for this season outside of a parting shot of her leaving for/reaching Westeros.

Also, Arya having to team up with two people on her list and one who used to be in order to take out an even worse guy on her list could actually be a pretty compelling narrative.

Gigglepoo

Definitely next season. Arya's story is over for this season outside of a parting shot of her leaving for/reaching Westeros.

We're still getting that Freys scene from the trailer, right? Who's going to deal with the Freys if not Arya? There's a chance she slays Walder and then takes off the face of whoever she was disguised as.

grandjedi6

We're still getting that Freys scene from the trailer, right? Who's going to deal with the Freys if not Arya? There's a chance she slays Walder and then takes off the face of whoever she was disguised as.
The Frey scene is probably them cerebrating the victory over Riverrun. Maybe they'll set up something ominous or show Arya arriving at the Twins but there is no way Walder is dying this season. There isn't enough time in 1 episode for all that.

Gigglepoo

How long is the trip from Braavos to Westeros?

Two weeks? Doesn't matter because the show doesn't play out in a strictly linear fashion.

The Frey scene is probably them cerebrating the victory over Riverrun. Maybe they'll set up something ominous or show Arya arriving at the Twins but there is no way Walder is dying this season. There isn't enough time in 1 episode for all that.

You might be right but it would be kind of weird to waste, say, five minutes showing characters from two seasons back celebrating. There has to be more going on though who knows if there's enough time to go through with an assassination.

Bakkus

So how do people here think the battle of Winterfell will turn out? Are there any chances of Jon losing and dying in the light of R+L=J?

Gigglepoo

So how do people here think the battle of Winterfell will turn out? Are there any chances of Jon losing and dying in the light of R+L=J?

I would love it if Jon died again and we went through an off season wondering if he'll be brought back again. That would make the whole season worthwhile.

Serious prediction: Wun Wun, Ramsay, Rickon, Mel, and Tormund will die. And Littlefinger will marry Sansa.

Matsukaze

My predictions:

Stark army gets the shit kicked out of it.
Boltons move in for the kill.
Wun Wun gets killed because he is Bipedal Direwolf.
Things look as bad as can be.
Littlefinger and the knights show up, wreck the Bolton army.
Bolton army formations collapse, Jon makes his way to Ramsay with Ghost by his side. Jon v Ramsay showdown; either Jon kills Ramsay or Ramsay prepares to finish off Jon with a killing blow before Ghost leaps in and tears his throat out (or something to that effect).
Jon realizes he's been saved by Littlefinger, Littlefinger gives him this smug look that says "You've won, but so have I".

I am almost positive Davos survives. Tormund, I could see dying beside Wun Wun. Lady Mormont needs to survive!

EDIT: Oh, and I'm guessing Rickon is dead before the battle even begins. Just a big fuck-you from Ramsay to Sansa and Jon.

Bakkus

Yeah, Wun Wun will probably die to save budget for future seasons. Sadly I also think one of Davos or Tormund will die. Probably Tormund.

_Ryo_

My prediction? Jon dies. His resurrection was just a tool to give Sansa the confidence to become a leader and to rally the north. They see the last Stark son die right in front of their eyes and she shames them and makes a speech and they unite their forces.

Gigglepoo

Yeah, Wun Wun will probably die to save budget for future seasons. Sadly I also think one of Davos or Tormund will die. Probably Tormund.

They can kill every person in the North in the slowest, most painful way possible just so long Davos comes out unscathed.

My prediction? Jon dies. His resurrection was just a tool to give Sansa the confidence to become a leader and to rally the north. They see the last Stark son die right in front of their eyes and she shames them and makes a speech and they unite their forces.
Nah, Jon will live.

No way Rickon survives though.

mantidor

Damn I want this now, but it won't happen.

Cromwell

Banned
Jon is probably going to end up on the Iron Throne, much less ever actually die in this series. You don't bring back a main character from the dead to kill him off unless it's a climactic Neo in The Matrix Revolutions kind of death.

Gigglepoo

Jon is probably going to end up on the Iron Throne, much less ever actually die in this series. You don't bring back a main character from the dead to kill him off unless it's a climactic Neo in The Matrix Revolutions kind of death.

What if your story subverts fantasy tropes?

Cromwell

Banned
What if your story subverts fantasy tropes?

You're right in that ASoiaF totally does, but it's essentially headed towards fantasy tropes with the cataclysmic white walker threat. GRRM's way of getting there was filled with surprises and subversions, but I really don't get the impression that he's planning on pulling the rug out for the ending.

Just discussed this with Cornballer, and it's probably more fair to say that we shouldn't have discussion on actual episode leaks at all. Which is so say, the point about leaked episodes and spoiler summaries from vague sources shouldn't be in the thread at all. We don't want any confusion, so even 4chan stuff that seems fake should not be posted if they're intended to be specific spoiler summaries.

Good.

I hope this will be the policy going forwards. I accidentally found out about the leak a couple of months back that basically laid out the entire season, and you really shouldn't have to worry about finding that kind of spoilers in neogaf threads

Gigglepoo

You're right in that ASoiaF totally does, but it's essentially headed towards fantasy tropes with the cataclysmic white walker threat. GRRM's way of getting there was filled with surprises and subversions, but I really don't get the impression that he's planning on pulling the rug out for the ending.

You might be right but it strikes me as off that Martin would go out of his way to subvert many of the common themes in fantasy only to have the story wrap-up in a cliche battle between good and evil. Why the subterfuge? I think he has something bigger planned. My guess is that Jon showed his worth when he made a truce with his enemies (the wildings) and we'll see that again when he shakes hands with the Night King (ie Stannis).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom