• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Just discussed this with Cornballer, and it's probably more fair to say that we shouldn't have discussion on actual episode leaks at all. Which is so say, the point about leaked episodes and spoiler summaries from vague sources shouldn't be in the thread at all. We don't want any confusion, so even 4chan stuff that seems fake should not be posted if they're intended to be specific spoiler summaries.
Can we get this in the HxH thread too?

onxp3GD.jpg

In the books, Jaime has a redemptive arc, though I suppose it's arguable if he deserves one, nor has he completed it. Still, he appears to be trying. Part of that process is rejecting Cersei, not raping her or declaring his obsessive love for her. Perhaps D&D are just cutting to (or inventing) the final straw with the wildfire foreshadowing.

What's weird is that they clearly start going down that path in Season 3. They absolutely nailed the bathhouse scene (I think NCW puts in one of the best performances of the entire series there), but Jamie had some sort of reset button hit once he got to King's Landing, minus his hand.

Utterly bizarre.

onxp3GD.jpg

In the books, Jaime has a redemptive arc, though I suppose it's arguable if he deserves one, nor has he completed it. Still, he appears to be trying. Part of that process is rejecting Cersei, not raping her or declaring his obsessive love for her. Perhaps D&D are just cutting to (or inventing) the final straw with the wildfire foreshadowing.

I never thought I'd like Jaime's character so much in the books, and yet it totally happened. I wish the show Jaime had gotten the same story, I think NCW would have played it well.

Massa

onxp3GD.jpg

I don't think it's so much a "redemptive arc" as it's just us being told he wasn't the cunt we were lead to believe he was.

I don't think it's so much a "redemptive arc" as it's just us being told he wasn't the cunt we were lead to believe he was.

He was a cunt before though. The arc went from him joining the Kingsguard so that he could fuck his sister to him trying to be the best Kingsguard he could be.

Gigglepoo

He was a cunt before though. The arc went from him joining the Kingsguard so that he could fuck his sister to him trying to be the best Kingsguard he could be.

Was he a good Kingsguard Knight? The princess and king died under his watch, he had no clue where the king was this season when Tommen converted, and he didn't even realize four other kingsguard were wearing the faith's insignia. If he was trying to be the best, he was failing miserably.

Sheroking

What's weird is that they clearly start going down that path in Season 3. They absolutely nailed the bathhouse scene (I think NCW puts in one of the best performances of the entire series there), but Jamie had some sort of reset button hit once he got to King's Landing, minus his hand.

Utterly bizarre.

None of his Season 3 scenes "redeem" him or push him away from Cersei, though. He doesn't change, we just see that there's more to him than the honorless, arrogant, self-centered prick we saw up until that point. That is the whole point of his bathhouse monologue - his character was never that simple.

I kind of like the idea that Jaime breaks from Cersei because she unleashes the Mad King's Wild Fire on King's Landing. I wish Jaime didn't spin his wheels for almost three years, but oh well.

Was he a good Kingsguard Knight? The princess and king died under his watch, he had no clue where the king was this season when Tommen converted, and he didn't even realize four other kingsguard were wearing the faith's insignia. If he was trying to be the best, he was failing miserably.

I thought we were talking about the books where at this point Jamie's motivation is protecting his king by stabilising the riverlands? Show Jamie sucks.

Pkaz01

Is Gendry the only missing in action character left at this point? My guess is next season he meets Sam in Oldtown and they discover how to recreate valyrian steel. And since Davos is with Jon he can convince him to legitimize him as the last remaining Baratheon.

Speevy

Banned
Not that the show really talked about this at all amid the idiotic writing, but they did save a lot of lives.

I kind of wish Edmure had gone up to the ramparts and ordered the archers to fire. At least the Blackfish's idiotic heroics might have meant something.

Certainly can't take anything away from Nikolai. Acted the shit out of whatever they gave him.
Definitely. He's fantastic as Jamie even when they give his character a whiplash of an "arc".

I'm hoping that this is all for building what will be a "shock" to non-readers when he ends up killing his sister after she torches King's Landing. Speculating, of course. Not sure why else they'd still have him meandering the sibling lust haha.

But then again, they did have Arya do some really idiotic crap in Bravos, so who knows.

Branduil

I have a question: what was the point of the scene where Tyrion unchained the dragons? They didn't do anything after that, right? And now Dany is back so it was pointless.

I do not look forward to the eventual death of pod. I'll cry. But as long as lady you don't always die from tobacco sometimes you just lose a lung doesn't show up he'll be good

Speevy

Banned
I have a question: what was the point of the scene where Tyrion unchained the dragons? They didn't do anything after that, right? And now Dany is back so it was pointless.

D and D were so tired of everyone criticizing their writing so they had 10 different people write this season.

They forgot to let them talk to each other.

D and D were so tired of everyone criticizing their writing so they had 10 different people write this season.

They forgot to let them talk to each other.
The scene was so eventually Tyrion will be about to die and the dragons swoop in to save him.

"Tyrion of house lannister the blood debt is now paid" says one of them

"whoa you can talk now?" asks Tyrion

"according to this show yes we can. Also we have a gateway up our butt that leads directly to kings landing"

carlsojo

My prediction that I don't want to be true: The Starks are wiped out at Winterfell, and the Brotherhood resurrects Sansa as Lady Stoneheart. She proceeds to join the Night's King as his Queen.

The scene was so eventually Tyrion will be about to die and the dragons swoop in to save him.

"Tyrion of house lannister the blood debt is now paid" says one of them

"whoa you can talk now?" asks Tyrion

"according to this show yes we can. Also we have a gateway up our butt that leads directly to kings landing"

It's entirely possible that Tyrion is the result of the Mad King raping Tywin's wife and the dragons can sense Targaryan blood.... if I am not mistaken, it has been a popular theory.

In those "Behind the scenes", I believe D&D mention that was to show her "broken" spirit.

I didn't get anything regarding a broken spirit. It was to show some new magic and to explain just how "well traveled" she is. She's fucking old... she's seen shit. She was broken because she misread what the flames meant, but that had nothing to do with the fact that she is this crazy old crone hiding in plain sight as a young priestess for a god that no one truly understands beyond those truly devoted, and even then, much like Melisandre, she doesn't quite understand its power despite shes ridiculously old.

Jon is probably going to end up on the Iron Throne, much less ever actually die in this series. You don't bring back a main character from the dead to kill him off unless it's a climactic Neo in The Matrix Revolutions kind of death.

someones going to be sacrificed to save Westeros. Its either him, Daenerys or her dragons.

Truly the Shakespeare('s) of our time.
I know right? So gud, setting the standard for years to come.

I didn't get anything regarding a broken spirit. It was to show some new magic and to explain just how "well traveled" she is. She's fucking old... she's seen shit. She was broken because she misread what the flames meant, but that had nothing to do with the fact that she is this crazy old crone hiding in plain sight as a young priestess for a god that no one truly understands beyond those truly devoted, and even then, much like Melisandre, she doesn't quite understand its power despite shes ridiculously old.
I get where you are coming from, that's just how I interpreted it from what was said on "Inside the Episode".

Gigglepoo

I wonder if they'll bother to use glamors again or if that was just a one-time instance. It's pretty bad storytelling to introduce a type of magic but only use it once. Kind of a Deus Ex Magica.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Have they really used alot of VFX this season? Or is it just me who dont register them? Because it feels they haven't

I thought this one felt extremely fake. Beautiful, but fake. Both tents and castle, but tents particularly - too regular.

Except for this shot, i can't think of any, though. even Drogon was skipped as much as possible this season.

Madness

I always loved the show but what I hate most is how shallow the world now feels compared to the books. It doesn't have that world building and authenticity anymore.

I was thinking about it. What kinslaying means in this universe and yet the show no one cares. What it means to be the Kingslayer yet no ones cares. What it meant that the children of Baratheon all have black of hair but everyone knows Jaime and Cersei basically screw around and no one cares. These ancillary things all fall by the wayside just to tell the 2 minutes of story per scene. Tyrion murders Tywin and is forced to flee and hide. And yet he is just chilling walking down streets in Mereen only caring about wine and jokes etc.

Cromwell

Banned
I always loved the show but what I hate most is how shallow the world now feels compared to the books. It doesn't have that world building and authenticity anymore.

I was thinking about it. What kinslaying means in this universe and yet the show no one cares. What it means to be the Kingslayer yet no ones cares. What it meant that the children of Baratheon all have black of hair but everyone knows Jaime and Cersei basically screw around and no one cares. These ancillary things all fall by the wayside just to tell the 2 minutes of story per scene. Tyrion murders Tywin and is forced to flee and hide. And yet he is just chilling walking down streets in Mereen only caring about wine and jokes etc.

Yup this has been one of my biggest complaints for a while now. At some point in S4 they totally abandoned world building and the show became a lot weaker for it. Weirdly, the most recent episodes had a bit of it with bringing back the Freys and Brotherhood, but it's a small respite.

Bakkus

I so hope Stannis had a fake death. There are no legit Baratheons left. Who is even ruling Stormlands at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom