• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

KahooTs

Ramsay was always set up for Jon, an evil other bastard sitting in WF with a dog pack for Ghost to fight, and Stannis was always doomed, shouldn't need the show to tell you these things. Doesn't mean Stannis loses the battle of Ice though, just that he doesn't carry on and win WF, Ramsay is in WF not in the field. And if Stannis is going to burn Shireen, which was an actual real spoiler even if it was a popular theory, he's going to have to either go back to the wall or send for her. He's not going to be sending for her before the battle.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Ramsay was always set up for Jon, an evil other bastard sitting in WF with a dog pack for Ghost to fight, and Stannis was always doomed, shouldn't need the show to tell you these things. Doesn't mean Stannis loses the battle of Ice though, just that he doesn't carry on and win WF, Ramsay is in WF not in the field. And if Stannis is going to burn Shireen, which was an actual real spoiler even if it was a popular theory, he's going to have to either go back to the wall or send for her. He's not going to be sending for her before the battle.

it's also possible that shireen gets burned but not by stannis. mel might burn her to revive jon, or for some other reason.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Is Dany going to be seen as legitimate? I thought that's where Aegon came in. He's the kingly one, the legitimate ruler of Westeros, whereas Dany will be seen as an evil conqueror. That's my guess anyway. Who knows?

Given what she's potentially replacing they might actually see her as a relief.

Wait what?

"Glowing like a sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow. A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd. From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire... mother of dragons, slayer of lies..."

There's a clear pattern in her HOTU visions where she sees three and then a description is given. The blue-eyed king sounds a lot like Stannis. The cloth dragon has been theorized to be Aegon. Not sure what the third is. Point being that each is a lie that Dany will reveal: Stannis is not Azor Ahai, Aegon is fake, etc.

KahooTs

In the belief the fate of his kingdom is on the line Stannis will burn Shireen. His logic took him there once already.

He will sacrifice his only child to save the people of his kingdom from eternal damnation. His story is basically that of god.

tmdorsey

"Glowing like a sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow. A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd. From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire... mother of dragons, slayer of lies..."

There's a clear pattern in her HOTU visions where she sees three and then a description is given. The blue-eyed king sounds a lot like Stannis. The cloth dragon has been theorized to be Aegon. Not sure what the third is. Point being that each is a lie that Dany will reveal: Stannis is not Azor Ahai, Aegon is fake, etc.

I don't think that necessarily means she will be the one to reveal them as fake. I think Stannis is probably dead and proven not to be Azor Ahai before she even gets to Westeros.

Gigglepoo

Given what she's potentially replacing they might actually see her as a relief.

What do you mean? Aegon seems like a smart, well-rounded guy who has lived with the people his entire life. Dany is talking about fire and blood and her army is made up of Dothraki and Unsullied.

Point being that each is a lie that Dany will reveal: Stannis is not Azor Ahai, Aegon is fake, etc.

I agree with your interpretation but I'm not sure a country that didn't care about an incest kings will suddenly worry about legitimacy. We'll see.

Kozak

Banned
So my girlfriend has been going through the journey of catching up on GoT after years of trying to convince her.

Season 4 Ep 10. Thats when the show fucked up Jaime.

Its funny because he was actually doing okay for most of that ep too and when Cersei told him she loved him he retorted back "those are only words" and then they proceeded to fuck and love each other again.

Turin

Banned
So my girlfriend has been going through the journey of catching up on GoT after years of trying to convince her.

Season 4 Ep 10. Thats when the show fucked up Jaime.

Its funny because he was actually doing okay for most of that ep too and when Cersei told him she loved him he retorted back "those are only words" and then they proceeded to fuck and love each other again.

I mean, assuming we pretend that rape scene didn't happen. Which is what the show basically did.

Kozak

Banned
I mean, assuming we pretend that rape scene didn't happen. Which is what the show basically did.

The good thing about the rape scene was that it was an awkward mess.

Girlfriend's been going on about how awesome Jaime is and how Brienne has had a great influence on him.

She's surprised when I say he sucks. Haha.

I have to say.. rewatching it with her, some of the storylines aren't as bad when you don't have to wait a year for it to move forward.

Speevy

Banned
Please make this Gilly's photo for the finale.

v1.czsxMDI3MTI4MTtqOzE3MDY5OzIwNDg7MjcyOzI3Mg

bitbydeath

Actually I'd say the stone beast (Dragonstone) that breathes shadows is a reference to Stannis.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
What do you mean? Aegon seems like a smart, well-rounded guy who has lived with the people his entire life. Dany is talking about fire and blood and her army is made up of Dothraki and Unsullied.
God king Tommen and his politicool catfight between his wife and his mom reffed by the church was what I was thinking of.

Kozak

Banned
The common folk couldn't give a fuck whose evil or good.

They just follow who's in power at the time because they're common folk.

If Dany lands in Westeros with 3 huge dragons, 1000 ships and the largest army Westeros has ever witnessed, the common folk will jump on her side immediately.

To be a leader you kinda do need to invoke a bit of fear.

Massa

In the belief the fate of his kingdom is on the line Stannis will burn Shireen. His logic took him there once already.

He will sacrifice his only child to save the people of his kingdom from eternal damnation. His story is basically that of god.

This is exactly what I think will happen. GRRM already touched on it with Edric.

The rape scene has to be viewed as an editing mistake. The scene wasn't intended to be quite so rapey, I guess. I have no idea how D&D are interpreting Jaime. It seems like they want us to root for he and Cersei as a couple. I read Jaime at Riverrun as a war-weary knight discovering tough-but-fair diplomacy and pragmatism; Show Jaime wants to avoid the battle so he can get back to fucking his sister.

The good thing about the rape scene was that it was an awkward mess.

Girlfriend's been going on about how awesome Jaime is and how Brienne has had a great influence on him.

She's surprised when I say he sucks. Haha.

I have to say.. rewatching it with her, some of the storylines aren't as bad when you don't have to wait a year for it to move forward.
Binge watching will get you over many a C-tier episode. I would love it if you could watch a season with the opening and closing credits removed. We'd stop judging entire episodes as good or bad.

Not in the books. Stannis is doing pretty well for himself right now.
The fan theory about Stannis' battle plan in the books [edit: Gigglepoo knows what's up!] is fascinating. I don't care that they killed Stannis early and are giving his battle role to Jon. I don't care that they burned Shireen. D&D were quick to lay that on George. I care that in order to get to that point, they made Stannis uncharacteristically act like a cruel idiot. I am presuming that Martin doesn't do it like that.
I forget Theon's current situation in the books but what if the show is playing with the idea of Reek/Theon and Dany?
Doesn't that description sound like what was in the
Euron chapter Martin just read? With Damphair lashed to the prow and smiling? I did not read the chapter.
?
This is exactly what I think will happen. GRRM already touched on it with Edric.
I've never seen one of those behind-the-scenes videos start so quickly after an episode, and the first thing that was said was, "I could't believe when I read that George was burning Shireen!" People should not hold out hope that it doesn't happen.

KahooTs

The common folk couldn't give a fuck whose evil or good.

They just follow who's in power at the time because they're common folk.

If Dany lands in Westeros with 3 huge dragons, 1000 ships and the largest army Westeros has ever witnessed, the common folk will jump on her side immediately.

To be a leader you kinda do need to invoke a bit of fear.

Sure, after all it worked fine for Maegor and Rhaenyra. No foreshadowing happening there.

You know it really does seem like the bastard brawl is an appetizer for the eventual Cleganebowl

I'm sure they'll have something else before that happens too.

Like the sand snake shake and bake

Also what the fuck was the point of showing them again for 1 episode lol.

The rape scene has to be viewed as an editing mistake. The scene wasn't intended to be quite so rapey, I guess. I have no idea how D&D are interpreting Jaime. It seems like they want us to root for he and Cersei as a couple. I read Jaime at Riverrun as a war-weary knight discovering tough-but-fair diplomacy and pragmatism; Show Jaime wants to avoid the battle so he can get back to fucking his sister.
D&D were asked about Jaime's rape scene at a Q&A and their answer stated that dispite recent events, they still felt Jaime was a character who would rape someone. There was no attempt to deflect or say the scene had been misinterpreted; it was a straight up intentional rape scene.

dabig2

I kind of expect Tyrion to die this season. The writers obviously have nothing left for him to do.

Nah, with Varys now gone and Barry dead, he's the informed Westerosi diplomat for Dany who still has virtually no clue of what she'll be doing after she leaves Meereen. Or in other words, the show will still need him to be an exposition dump on Westeros for the audience. The show is just having him spin his heels at the moment because who gives a shit about Meereen anyways? His value lies west.

Kozak

Banned
Tyrion can't die because once again the story doesn't allow for it.

Let's just hope they don't tease his death with an injury cause it'll likely be having his throat slit and somehow he manages to pick up all his blood, close the wound with his hands and revive Lady Crane with his new Red friends for some expert wound healing.

D&D were asked about Jaime's rape scene at a Q&A and their answer stated that dispite recent events, they still felt Jaime was a character who would rape someone. There was no attempt to deflect or say the scene had been misinterpreted; it was a straight up intentional rape scene.

Not everyone thinks it's supposed to be rapey.

But again that raises the question, how do they want us to view Jaime? If the characters don't even acknowledge the rape, is the audience just supposed to forgive-and-forget it?

Shouldn't you be more upset that he crippled Bran or how he captured Ned and killed his men which then led to his untimely death?
onxp3GD.jpg

In the books, Jaime has a redemptive arc, though I suppose it's arguable if he deserves one, nor has he completed it. Still, he appears to be trying. Part of that process is rejecting Cersei, not raping her or declaring his obsessive love for her. Perhaps D&D are just cutting to (or inventing) the final straw with the wildfire foreshadowing.

They have nothing for him right now because there's no book material to pull from. But I'm sure they have an outline from GRRM of what he does when he returns to Westeros.
They know the ultimate ends for all the major characters, as in, where they end up and if they live or die, etc.

Given Tyrion's tire spinning this season, I imagine that it's because he doesn't have anything else to do until he gets back to Westeros, but he can't be sent back to Westeros until Dany gets her goddamn shit together finally.

KahooTs

They have nothing for him right now because there's no book material to pull from. But I'm sure they have an outline from GRRM of what he does when he returns to Westeros.

Rides a dragon, becomes king. If they're going to do number 1 this season it will be in the finale, but probably they want to save Meereen for Dany and the IB.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Also, does anyone else kind of expected registered laughs when Dany shows up?
I mean, the last two scenes were a "Oh heys guyz lemme check behind that hill" YEP KNEW IT WAS DROGON!"
and
"What the fuck is happening here?"
"Wait where did you come from"
"THE SKY"

Clarke isn't the best actress in the show, but the material they've been giving her is.. uuhm...

SpaceHorror

I still think King's Landing will go down like this :

1. Cersei reufses to attend her trial or loses and refuses to accept her sentence. Either way, she gets pissed and prepares to fuck the city up with wildfire.

2. Kevan and Pycelle seek to intervene. Varys shows up and kills them much the same way he does in the books so that Cersei can plunge the city into chaos in preperation for Dany coming to Westeros.

3. Cersei and Qyburn use the wildfire to attack the Faith Militant/High Sparrow. Probably goes worse than she expected and King's Landing is engulfed in flames.

4. Jaime finally begins his redemption arc (too little, too late?) when he sees how crazy Cersei has become. Tommen may die as well as a result of her craziness, but I don't think they'll kill off her last remaining child yet. Her children are the very core of her motivation and killing her last surviving one while also taking Jamie away will pretty much kill her character. Though depending on where they are taking her character from here on out maybe they are ready to go there.

4. Dany sets off for Westeros in the last shot of the season. Not directly related to King's Landing, but certainly tied into Varys killing Kevan and Pycelle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom