• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eidan

Not even close.
I think it's pretty close. I've found over the years, that as the show deviates more from the books, a lot of book readers' ability to put two and two together simply flies out the window. For example, in this episode it's pretty clear why Sansa doesn't tell Jon about the Vale. Her dialogue explains it, and his actions justify it. But book readers act clueless, saying they can't understand her motivations and chalk it up to poor writing, when it's really just brain dead viewing that seems to be the problem.

Problem is now she doesn't have any sort of base as Littlefinger holds all the cards. The Vale is in total control of Winterfell.

In theory yes, but he only really controls the dumb kid and i still believe that within his manipulation a part of him still wants to fuck Sansa, so I wouldn't be surprised he wants to marry her or something

Lothar

Banned
Problem is now she doesn't have any sort of base as Littlefinger holds all the cards. The Vale is in total control of Winterfell.

The Vale is there for her. She could just give them the order to kill LF if she wanted. And that could be what happens!

Brakke

Banned
Why wouldn't Jon get Melisandre to resurrect Rickon though?

Because he himself wishes he hadn't been resurrected? That's been his whole thing since coming back. He doesn't have any reason to think it would work, or that Mel would be willing to try it, either.

Unless she figures she can outmaneuver Littlefinger. A ton of Northern houses didn't participate in the battle. If she can shame-consolidate Manderly and all the other Lords would didn't answer the call from Bolton or from her, she's got a base waiting to happen. Plus she knows Littlefinger isn't going to overthrow her claim on Winterfell; the presence of his Knights doesn't really threaten her since she knows Littlefinger wants her affection, not Winterfell.

Black_Sun

I think that a lot of people read spoilers on the internet, and that more than anything took away from your enjoyment.

I don't see how just blind watching you could have seen Littlefinger coming at least not without discussing it on the internet or watching the prior episodes several times.

Face it. Spoilers eat this show alive. It's why this thread looks like a redacted document from the CIA.

You serious? It was telegraphed pretty hard. In fact, my dad is a pretty casual fan and he predicted this.

Cromwell

Banned
That was really fucking awesome even if some of the tactics didn't make sense. If Sansa would have just told Jon the Vale would be arriving in a day, he could have organized around that and probably saved their walking siege tank known as Wun Wun, not to mention who knows how many other lives.

Very satisfied with the episode, though. Ramsay getting eaten by his own dogs is pretty much the most satisfying way for him to die. I agree with the AVClub's B grade though - very impressive from a craft and spectacle point of view, but very simplistic and dumb at heart. However this all plays out in the books is bound to be dramatically different.

I think it's pretty close. I've found over the years, that as the show deviates more from the books, a lot of book readers' ability to put two and two together simply flies out the window. For example, in this episode it's pretty clear why Sansa doesn't tell Jon about the Vale. Her dialogue explains it, and his actions justify it. But book readers act clueless, saying they can't understand her motivations and chalk it up to poor writing, when it's really just brain dead viewing that seems to be the problem.

Honestly, the whole thing is starting to irritate me. I get this sneaking suspicion that D&D think they're writing their next "great twist" and are actually going to try and turn Sansa against Jon, which would be untold levels of bullshit.

Lothar

Banned
Because he himself wishes he hadn't been resurrected? That's been his whole thing since coming back. He doesn't have any reason to think it would work, or that Mel would be willing to try it, either.

There's a big difference between wanting yourself to stay dead and a family member to stay dead. That's not a satisfying answer at all. If resurrection was real, any family member would at least try.

Unless there was proof that he was in heaven. But it sounds like Jon has proof of the opposite.

There's a big difference between wanting yourself to stay dead and a family member to stay dead. That's not a satisfying answer at all. If resurrection was real, any family member would at least try.

Unless there was proof that he was in heaven. But it sounds like Jon has proof of the opposite.

Well that doesn't work out if you personally have experienced the resurrection and can say without a doubt that it isn't worth it.

It's like if you immortal and knew it's a curse, and someone comes and asks you how to do it. You'd willingly try to keep from doing the same.

Joco

Great episode. Loved that we actually saw Daenarys wreck for a bit before the big battle. And I also loved piecing it together that Melisandre had the princess killed.

Hoping he exacts revenge.

MisterR

I like the show, and think the books are okay, but highly flawed. Why wouldn't I post here?

I don't know. Seems kind of counter productive to spend all your time bitching about book readers and your personal opinions about their motivations for show complaints.

Gigglepoo

Great episode. Loved that we actually saw Daenarys wreck for a bit before the big battle. And I also loved piecing it together that Melisandre had the princess killed.

Hoping he exacts revenge.

But it would kind of suck if Mel died. Maybe there's another way?

Black_Sun

I like the show, and think the books are okay, but highly flawed. Why wouldn't I post here?

Because you're kinda just trying to troll at this point.

You're not making any actual arguments as to why the show is so good or what is so flawed about the books.

You're seemingly making wide-sweeping statements to provoke some people.

The thread at the end of the day is meant for people who have read the books and don't mind discussion around book spoilers and differences. It's not meant as a thread for book readers to hate the show lol. I still dislike the two latest seasons as a whole but I'm not going to complain when people say we're being negative.

Eidan

Because all you seem to do is shit on people who criticize the show via book comparisons, no matter how thought out or reasoned the criticisms are.
Well that's obviously because they're not that well thought out or reasoned. Still not understanding why I wouldn't post here though, unless you think the only posts of value make snide references to "20 good men" or "bad pussy".

Eidan

Because you're kinda just trying to troll at this point.

You're not making any actual arguments as to why the show is so good or what is so flawed about the books.

You're seemingly making wide-sweeping statements to provoke some people.
I feel like over the years I've been pretty clear about where I think the books fall short (hell if you comb this thread you'll likely find my most recent blurb about it). As for why I think the show is good, I think it is a fun story that is well realized with competent directors, fine actors, decent writing and overall production. I think the show has done an excellent job of cutting down on Martin's excess, and where the show has fallen short, I honestly attribute it to trying to adapt garbage that shouldn't have been in the story to begin with (Dorne, Dorne, Dorne).

I'm hardly a troll. I only post in here at most once a week after an episode has aired and then leave everyone to their hate-in.

Cromwell

Banned
Well that's obviously because they're not that well thought out or reasoned. Still not understanding why I wouldn't post here though, unless you think the only posts of value make snide references to "20 good men" or "bad pussy".

Proclaiming yourself the arbiter of what does and does not qualify for good arguments as a justification for trolling is a pretty bad look. Good conversation happens here, and I'm pretty sure we're allowed to make jokes about the show's dialogue. People have disagreements all the time here and articulate it respectfully, like for example how I said I think Arya/Dany's plots in the last two books were filler, and someone else (can't remember their name) had a very smart reply that made me re-examine my point.

You should probably just stick to the TV only thread if your only interest here is to annoy people, or if you think literally everything in the books is terrible and everything in the show is an improvement.

Episode was garbage. I wrote this episode at the beginning of the season. Predictable, low brow trash.

If you watched this instead of the NBA finals, hold that L for all of eternity.

Lothar

Banned
Well that doesn't work out if you personally have experienced the resurrection and can say without a doubt that it isn't worth it.

It's like if you immortal and knew it's a curse, and someone comes and asks you how to do it. You'd willingly try to keep from doing the same.

I don't see how he can he say without a doubt it isn't worth it. Will he commit suicide now? Will he always be miserable and never be happy again even if they beat the White Walkers? I doubt that.

Jetman

Loved the episode except for Sansa not giving Jon any sort of heads-up that the Vale was inbound.

She explained to Jon, directly and out loud, that Ramsay doesn't fall for traps, he sets them. Jon didn't listen to her, and fell for Ramsay's trap with Rickon -- whose death Sansa also called. Jon's hypothetical was not fine, Sansa said so, and she was right. Jon was a straight up bonehead and Sansa knew it. She had no reason to believe Jon would use the Vale in anything resembling a smart way. So she set a trap for Ramsay, which was to let him think his trap for Jon would win the battle.

Hmm, never thought about it this way. BUT, even assuming she thought this, it is VERY fucked up for her to allow her brother, all of these loyal men, and the last of the giants to walk into a potential trap from Ramsey without letting them know about a few thousand more men she had ontw.

Episode was garbage. I wrote this episode at the beginning of the season. Predictable, low brow trash.

If you watched this instead of the NBA finals, hold that L for all of eternity.

While I loved mostly loved this episode and had a great time with it I'll agree and say I enjoyed the finals a lot more. LeBron's tears of joy could've brought Rickon back dammit!

Cromwell

Banned
She explained to Jon, directly and out loud, that Ramsay doesn't fall for traps, he sets them. Jon didn't listen to her, and fell for Ramsay's trap with Rickon -- whose death Sansa also called. Jon's hypothetical was not fine, Sansa said so, and she was right. Jon was a straight up bonehead and Sansa knew it. She had no reason to believe Jon would use the Vale in anything resembling a smart way. So she set a trap for Ramsay, which was to let him think his trap for Jon would win the battle.

You know, I actually see this point. Jon completely fucked up and played right into Ramsay's hands, and he could have easily pulled the Vale into the mix with that big melee in the center, thus losing the entire battle. Sansa might have been right even without knowing anything about tactics.

If Jon just wouldn't have broken off and forced Tormund to charge, it would have gone far better for them even without the Vale. He should be kicking himself for losing Wun Wun.

Gigglepoo

Pretty funny that Tyrion released the dragons seven episodes ago just so they could finally escape tonight and one could fire on a slaver ship.

Eidan

Proclaiming yourself the arbiter of what does and does not qualify for good arguments as a justification for trolling is a pretty bad look. Good conversation happens here, and I'm pretty sure we're allowed to make jokes about the show's dialogue. People have disagreements all the time here and articulate it respectfully, like for example how I said I think Arya/Dany's plots in the last two books were filler, and someone else (can't remember their name) had a very smart reply that made me re-examine my point.

You should probably just stick to the TV only thread if your only interest here is to annoy people, or if you think literally everything in the books is terrible and everything in the show is an improvement.
I don't think I ever said everything in the books is terrible, just that they're heavily flawed. But the idea that you would tell me it's best not to post in this thread if I did feel that way is pretty telling about the tenor of discussion in here.

Timbuktu

You know, I actually see this point. Jon completely fucked up and played right into Ramsay's hands, and he could have easily pulled the Vale into the mix with that big melee in the center, thus losing the entire battle. Sansa might have been right even without knowing anything about tactics.

It would be better if Jon said something along the lines of not having choice except to spring the trap. The battle was a bit obviously structured for the episode, not quite up to the level of something like Kingdom of Heaven (DC). In some ways I enjoyed the battles in BBC's The Last Kingdom a bit more. They don't look as good or are as huge, but tactically they made more sense.

I don't think I ever said everything in the books is terrible, just that they're heavily flawed. But the idea that you would tell me it's best not to post in this thread if I did feel that way is pretty telling about the tenor of discussion in here.

I think there are lots of people here who prefer what the show is doing in comparison to the books. That's fine. But in my opinion the lowest of lows on the show is, like, F- tier garbage compared to the lowest of lows from the books. At the books' worst they're just "boring". The show can get downright embarrassing at times.

Iksenpets

Banned
Or go to Dorne.

He specifically mentioned the need for allies in Westeros. I think it's this. They've probably set up Qyburn's use of the children to set up a him carrying out the assassination for Cersei.

Also, to people complaining that this episode was predictable, I had the episode spoiled pretty much beat by beat for me. It did not stop that from being an insanely well done episode.

Also, a little touch I really liked: Dany not being quite sure what to do when Yara offers her hand. She's never had to meet anyone as an equal before, so hand shaking is completely foreign to her.

.JayZii

Banned
Pretty funny that Tyrion released the dragons seven episodes ago just so they could finally escape tonight and one could fire on a slaver ship.
It's basically the same as in the books where they are freed, but just take up roost in the city, right?
Echo Chamber! ...Chamber...chamber...chamber...chamber...

Brakke

Banned
Hmm, never thought about it this way. BUT, even assuming she thought this, it is VERY fucked up for her to allow her brother, all of these loyal men, and the last of the giants to walk into a potential trap from Ramsey without letting them know about a few thousand more men she had ontw.

Totally. If our conclusion of Sansa's play is "yo what a ice-cold bitch", I can stand by that. I don't think I can stand by a conclusion of "Sansa was dumb". She recognized Jon's weakness and Ramsay's weakness, and effectively executed a plan that ended up with Ramsay dead and Winterfell in her hands.

Cromwell

Banned
It would be better if Jon said something along the lines of not having choice except to spring the trap. The battle was a bit obviously structured for the episode, not quite up to the level of something like Kingdom of Heaven (DC).

Yeah. KoH DC had some really awesome battles. The structure of this left a lot to be desired but the actual production values and cinematography of it was very very close to KoH or Braveheart. HBO put the money where it counts, though some of the CGI in the unbroken shot of Jon killing people was kind of obvious.

Totally. If our conclusion of Sansa's play is "yo what a ice-cold bitch", I can stand by that. I don't think I can stand by a conclusion of "Sansa was dumb". She recognized Jon's weakness and Ramsay's weakness, and effectively executed a plan that ended up with Ramsay dead and Winterfell in her hands.

The number of Vale horsemen actually didn't seem THAT high. It could have been a way closer battle if they didn't have the element of surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom