• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nodnol

What an episode. Brilliantly shot, the battle was claustrophobic as fuck at times. So tense, despite the fact I thought KotV would do a Riders of Rohan.

I think people are looking into Sansa's actions a little too deeply. Yes, she kept her cards close to her chest, and she probably didn't trust Jon 100%, but I'm sure she never wanted him to die. Maybe she accepted that as his possible fate, but I very much doubt she was hoping for it.

Following Jon through that battle....it easy to understand why Ned Stark was the way he was. I see more Ned in Jon than I did Robb. It'll be interesting to see how he developed, because at that moment where he charged the Bolton force on his own, fell from his house and readied himself for the charging cavalry, he was readying himself for death. I hope that looking over the edge like that, then coming through the battle, leaves him haunted and dark, but with a light inside of him that keeps him fighting.

Stark banners once again hanging from the walls of Winterfell. At last.

Tubobutts

No one thought to give Wun Wun a weapon huh? Instead of just bashing them all with a tree he grabs one spearman at a time and swats at them.

Biske

Speaking of which. Where the fuck IS Ghost. Is he back in the Wall? Did Jon bring him with him? Why wasn't he in the battle? Especially if Jon was going to charge out alone. ??????????

I think they really really don't like dealing with the wolves (budget? don't know what to with em after getting rid of the warging?), so they cut them at any chance they get and are happy to forget about ghost.

carlsojo

Sansa's hand in marriage.

I always liked to imagine that Bronn's reward from the Lannisters is going to keep climbing to ridiculous heights. Somehow Bronn and Jaime are going to end up at Winterfell to fight the White Walkers. Bronn's going to be like Jaime, there is absolutely shit you can offer me to do this. And Sansa's gonna be all what up guy how does marrying me and ruling the north sound?

Sansa x Bronn. Believe.

Black_Sun

Oh they'll come out one day, far away. At least, TWOW will. And it will be rushed and even more poorly paced than ADWD if thats even possible, because GRRM won't bother editing it cause he needs it out ASAP and he knows fans will buy it regardless.

ADOS will be even worse, unless its partially or wholly Ghostwritten, in which case its a toss-up.

He swam out to Gendry's boat.

I can't speak for what happens after but TWOW is already off to a great start.

Cersei's trial, Battle of Fire, Battle of Ice, Battle of Storm, Euron's ritual, Redwyne v ironborn naval battle, BwB rescue etc is all starting the book.

That also bothers me though. We spent another season waiting on Cersei's trial.

We're barely getting to early TWOW material there in the last episode for King's Landing.

duckroll

Can Miguel Sapochnik hammer out two god-tier episodes in a row this season? Is it possible? Can the series continue will the tradition of even numbered seasons having good final episodes?!

jdstorm

Banned
I'd suspect the deal Littlefinger and Sansa made was for her vote/support for him to become king. Once the Lannister reign falls apart. If anything happens to Edmure Tully Sansa would be the legitimate Heir to 3/7 great houses ( Stark and Tully by Birth, another by marrige.) Plus the Tyrell's owe Littlefinger for removing Joffery (4/7) and Robyn Arryn seems to be supporting Littlefinger as lord of the vale. (5/7)

That leaves only Dany as littlefingers opposition to the crown and she's an ocean away. (Since I'm assuming he doesn't know about Jon's history.)

Iksenpets

Banned
I can't speak for what happens after but TWOW is already off to a great start.

Cersei's trial, Battle of Fire, Battle of Ice, Battle of Storm, Euron's ritual, Redwyne v ironborn naval battle, BwB rescue etc is all starting the book.

That also bothers me though. We spent another season waiting on Cersei's trial.

We're barely getting to early TWOW material there in the last episode for King's Landing.

King's Landing had to go really slowly this season, because the North and Meereen were both only going to make it to the two battles. Up until whenever they had Margaery convert Tommen, the whole thing may as well have been an extended telling of the Kevan epilogue from Dance. This whole season seems to only be the first few chapters of Winds, mixed with them revisiting old cut plots. Bran and Arya are the only ones who have maybe gone any deeper into future storylines than that.

I think they really really don't like dealing with the wolves (budget? don't know what to with em after getting rid of the warging?), so they cut them at any chance they get and are happy to forget about ghost.

I mean, Ghost would have died in the opening minutes of that battle. He's useful when Jon is scouting beyond the wall and running little raids, but in rank-and-formation battle like that he'd be dead for sure. Makes sense to leave him back at camp, though it would have been nice to see him in the camp to know that.

Cromwell

Banned
No one thought to give Wun Wun a weapon huh? Instead of just bashing them all with a tree he grabs one spearman at a time and swats at them.

Fuckin' a, this. Wun Wun could have destroyed all of those shield dudes with a tree branch. Jon is a fucking awful commander.

duckroll

So with the explicit mention of wildfire this week, along with the detailed description by Tyrion that there are caches under all the important locations including the sept, that seems to suggest we might actually see King's Landing burning next week. I didn't think it would be time before, but considering how subtle the show is with dialogue, it might well be.

Visceir

So with the explicit mention of wildfire this week, along with the detailed description by Tyrion that there are caches under all the important locations including the sept, that seems to suggest we might actually see King's Landing burning next week. I didn't think it would be time before, but considering how subtle the show is with dialogue, it might well be.

End the season with a big bang.

Black_Sun

So Daenerys just walks in and takes Westeros in episode one of next season?

That sounds awful

Henkka

Banned
Good episode. Only thing I didn't really like is Sansa feeding Ramsay to his dogs. Imo, the good guys should be above that sort of thing. Ned Stark would've just taken his head off in one clean blow and be done with it. But Sansa's entire character has been sacrificed at the altar of 'badass'.

duckroll

So Daenerys just walks in and takes Westeros in episode one of next season?

That sounds awful

???????

How does A connect to B here?

Good episode. Only thing I didn't really like is Sansa feeding Ramsay to his dogs. Imo, the good guys should be above that sort of thing. Ned Stark would've just taken his head off in one clean blow and be done with it. But Sansa's entire character has been sacrificed at the altar of 'badass'.

Sacrificed? This is the direction her character was headed in for two years now. This is the climax of what was started here:

QORQvhB.jpg

Cromwell

Banned

Yep. Tyrion's dialogue basically 100% confirmed it.

Black_Sun

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";207777299]My favorite shot of the episode was Davos standing over the pyre as the camera pulls back to make the sunrise look like flames.

Darkstar[/QUOTE]

Point well-taken although how well-written can you make a walking theme that shows up for 12 pages.

I mean Darkstar really is just a walking symbolic theme in AFFC.(He's war. Attractive and you think you have it under control but in reality it's cruel and unpredictable)

GRRM failed to make him badass like he wanted though.

Black_Sun

???????

How does A connect to B here?

Tommen dies as does all of the infrastructure in KL.

Who is Daenerys going to fight when she comes to Westeros? Cersei with her depleted Lannister army?

That's 10-20 K guys versus 3 dragons, 10,000 Unsullied, 100,000 Dothraki, 10 k ironborn, whatever mercenaries she has left and the people in Westeros that decide to ally with her like Dorne, maybe

The Tyrells aren't going to fight her especially since it was Cersei that destroyed their alliance.

I mean there's no heir to the throne besides Daenerys around.

Moff

meh for me, but I knew since battles don't do much for me, I also think the one at the wall was way more fun.

but there was just no emotional attachement for me, I stopped caring about ramsay a long time ago, I don't care he's gone. kit harrington did a great job, though, he evolved in his role. Jon Snow however, did not. he is still the same despite the ressurrection.

I am always up for some dragon action, though, even if this was dany's 14th bad ass moment in the show.

I wonder if davos will kill melisandre, he is not a killer but they are disposing characters left and right at the moment.

also, yeah, another reminder of the wildfire. I wonder if we'll get that next episode, I doubt it, though, seems to early and huge to do that, yet. maybe that's next seasons highlight.

Visceir

I think it was fitting, considering what she said about making Ramsay's words, house and name disappear. Ramsay doesn't deserve a proper execution, he deserves to just disappear.

The Good Guys being "above" certain things is exactly why they keep getting betrayed and killed off like rabbits. This is one of, if not THE main messages of the book: Just because YOU live by and have a code of honor does NOT mean everyone else does, and if you want to survive sometimes you have to stoop to their level.

duckroll

Tommen dies as does all of the infrastructure in KL.

Who is Daenerys going to fight when she comes to Westeros? Cersei with her depleted Lannister army?

The Tyrells aren't going to fight her especially since it was Cersei that destroyed their alliance.

I mean there's no heir to the throne besides Daenerys around.

If King's Landing burns now, it will create huge chaos and upset the power balance completely. The first to hear about these events will be those already in Westeros - Dorne, Winterfell, Riverrun, the Vale, the Iron Islands. This means they will react first. No one gives a shit who the "heir" is. History has shown that in upheavals, those with power claim the throne by force, not by right. Dany being an heir is irrelevant when she's not in Westeros. by the time she gets there, which will probably take a few episodes at least, the situation in King's Landing will be very different. With how volatile things are, do you really think people will be sitting around waiting for Dany to arrive just to hand the throne to her? No. There might be some who see that opportunity. But others will act against that too.

What I suspect, based on Dany and Yara bonding over being "women" this week, is that an alliance with Dorne is all but certain now. So in the end it'll be Dany/Yara/BadPussies forming #TeamWomen against everyone else.

Henkka

Banned
The Good Guys being "above" certain things is exactly why they keep getting betrayed and killed off like rabbits. This is one of, if not THE main messages of the book: Just because YOU live by and have a code of honor does NOT mean everyone else does, and if you want to survive sometimes you have to stoop to their level.

I don't have a problem with them killing Ramsay, obviously. Just with how nonchalant she was about inflicting unnecessary, brutal violence, even to a person she hates. Feeding people to dogs is what crazy people do, even if they in some sense deserve it.

duckroll

I don't have a problem with them killing Ramsay, obviously. Just with how nonchalant she was about inflicting unnecessary, brutal violence, even to a person she hates. Feeding people to dogs is what crazy people do, even if they in some sense deserve it.

Darth Sansa is what we've wanted and been waiting for. The show finally gave us what we wanted. It's bad ass and epic, mate.

Madouu

Looking at what Sansa went through, it would not be far fetched to assume that she has a lot of mental health issues because of it.

Point well-taken although how well-written can you make a walking theme that shows up for 12 pages.

I mean Darkstar really is just a walking symbolic theme in AFFC.(He's war. Attractive and you think you have it under control but in reality it's cruel and unpredictable)

GRRM failed to make him badass like he wanted though.
He also seems to be another reminder that the Dayne's are important or a red herring, rather like the two handed sword fighting by Arthur Dayne in the show.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sansa's entire arc has been to get her to a point where she does what needs to be done. Let the Stark men be honourable and dumb-as-fuck like Ned. Sansa knows that you don't take a prisoner like Ramsay, you make sure that fucker is dead and buried. Honestly, the only problem I have with it is that she should have had that fuckers head on a spike along with his men and the Karstarks atop the Winterfell walls for all to see that they shouldn't ever fuck with the Starks again.

I suppose next episode we'll see Jon gets legitimized by Sansa and proclaimed King in the North. The whole dialogue with Dany seems to be that they divide up the seven kingdoms each with a King of their own and her ruling over all as Queen.

Apt101

I think they've finally got Dany at the point where they wanted her character to be a season ago, but were dragging things out waiting for the book that never came. This is basically where Dany is heading in the books, IMO, but GRRM kept spinning his wheels. Strong, proud, regal, without that little voice of uncertainty always whispering into her ear. Beautiful and terrible like a proper Targaryen.

The same goes for Sansa. I think it's pretty clear she'll end up out Baelishing Baelish in the end.

I don't really know what to make of Jon, but he had a few great moments. Watching Rickon gasp his last breath and knowing where he was going, and that throwing him into a rage. And later when he was being buried, and it appearing to remind him of the blackness of death, with him struggling up into the light.

Ramsay had to have his final Bond villain moment. At least he went out like a bitch. First beat down like a sissy by Jon's bare hands, then getting to be the viction of new Bond villain Sansa.

TTG

Good episode. I guess the only thing I found surprising was how quickly Yara made her way over to Marreen. Probably because it took Tyrion a whole book to get there, I just assumed it wouldn't cut from her hiding out somewhere right to Dany's court or whatever. Maybe Arya will meet up with Sansa next week since travel is so fast when the writers wish it. Oh, and I guess we have our third queen? Jon has proved himself a sap, so it's all Sansa now. Dany, Sansa, Yara, Martel girl(sorry, forgot her name). It's adding up.

The surprising episode will be next week, tonight was a lot of chess pieces being moved and removed in an expected way.

duckroll

Good episode. I guess the only thing I found surprising was how quickly Yara made her way over to Marreen.

Tyrion left King's Landing in the finale of Season 4. By the start of Season 5 he was in Pentos having traveled there by sea. Two episodes after that he was in Volantis, traveling by land. Four episodes after that, Tyrion makes contact with Dany, after a bunch of land traveling and being captured by slavers. So it only took 7 episodes of traveling to a bunch of different locations.

In comparison, Yara left the Iron Islands in episode 6 this season. In the next episode she was in Volantis (because they sailed straight there), and it took two more episodes before they got to Meereen, again traveling directly by sea. Seems comparable, except getting to Volantis in a single episode was definitely a fast-forward of sorts.

I suppose next episode we'll see Jon gets legitimized by Sansa and proclaimed King in the North..

Is Jon even willing to be the King in the North? Has Sansa even have that kind of power to proclaim Jon the King in the North, even IF Finger may have the knowledge that Jon isn't really a bastard? As other's have mentioned before line of succession don't matter anymore.

Afaik, Finger owns the knights of the Vale. If Sansa decided to off Finger those Vale Knights would probably follow orders from Robert Arryn or Royce

Sheroking

Looking at the map, the trip from the Iron Islands to Volantis is actually the real bitch of that journey. It's probably the largest gap any character has traveled in one year in this show. It should have taken months to sail.

Volantis to Meereen is nothing comparatively. It's basically the same trip Jaime had from King's Landing to Riverrun.

Looking at the map, the trip from the Iron Islands to Volantis is actually the real bitch of that journey. It's probably the largest gap any character has traveled in one year in this show. It should have taken months to sail.

Volantis to Meereen is nothing comparatively. It's basically the same trip Jaime had from King's Landing to Riverrun.

Well the drowned priest did mention they stole their "fastest ships"

carlsojo

Sansa's entire arc has been to get her to a point where she does what needs to be done. Let the Stark men be honourable and dumb-as-fuck like Ned. Sansa knows that you don't take a prisoner like Ramsay, you make sure that fucker is dead and buried. Honestly, the only problem I have with it is that she should have had that fuckers head on a spike along with his men and the Karstarks atop the Winterfell walls for all to see that they shouldn't ever fuck with the Starks again.

I suppose next episode we'll see Jon gets legitimized by Sansa and proclaimed King in the North. The whole dialogue with Dany seems to be that they divide up the seven kingdoms each with a King of their own and her ruling over all as Queen.

I agree completely with the first part. She's done with all the bullshit and she's here to fucking win. There's no way she legitimizes Jon. She's going to seize the North for herself.

Aiii

So not worth it
Mweh, I can't see Sansa being Queen over Jon, the entire story is supposedly about the two Targaryens taking back Westeros, but eh, who knows.

duckroll

Mweh, I can't see Sansa being Queen over Jon, the entire story is supposedly about the two Targaryens taking back Westeros, but eh, who knows.

Dany will be the Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, and each of the Seven Kingdoms will have their own Queen. Women will rule the world, while men protect it. Jon's role in all of this is to keep the peace far into the North... as.... the new.... Night KING.

/me drops the mic

Aiii

So not worth it
Dany will be the Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, and each of the Seven Kingdoms will have their own Queen. Women will rule the world, while men protect it. Jon's role in all of this is to keep the peace far into the North... as.... the new.... Night KING.

/me drops the mic

He's already a zombie, I suppose.

Brakke

Banned
Jon couldn't even rule eighty-odd geezers and rapists at the Wall who in their right mind bends the knee to him. He's pretty much never made a good command decision, things just kind of work out for him because he's good at fighting.

GorillaJu

Anyone being the king or queen of anything requires them to not die before the whole thing ends. Danaerys, Sansa, and Jon won't all make it to the end. And I agree with the above post, Jon is a warrior and a leader by example, but he's not a king. He's not a brilliant military mind and he doesn't really inspire through natural charisma. Sansa was the one who gathered the necessary forces and she's also willing to do what it takes to rule.

But there's no way she's going to start putting heads on spikes, it's important that she's learned from the years of torture and abuse.

john tv

Thought the most important line of the ep was Jon saying he wanted to bury Rickon in the crypt. Makes me think we'll finally learn his true ancestry next ep - maybe Rickon died for something after all. :p

So do we think that Varys will turn up in Kings Landing and fulfil his book role, leaving Cersei as the mad queen after burning everything down

I think he was on his way to Dorne from the sounds of things. Saying they needed Allies in Westeros, and he was the one that tried to broker a deal between the Martell's to help marry Dany or Viserys to one of their princes/princesses to keep the Targ's around.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Jon couldn't even rule eighty-odd geezers and rapists at the Wall who in their right mind bends the knee to him. He's pretty much never made a good command decision, things just kind of work out for him because he's good at fighting.

This point could be argued. In the book and in the show, he basically has to convince a group of people who collectively have about the equivalent of a high school education between all of them that the 700 foot wall of magic ice was made to keep out a couple wildlings.

So when the real threat emerges of The Others and he says they need to get the wildlings south of the wall so they don't become more soldiers, its a pretty sound tactical move. His main problem was convincing a bunch of traditional idiots of that fact is near impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom