• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saya

RI27xcF.jpg

Queen in the North. Give her the Dreadfort and Bolton lands.

Saya

Totally. If our conclusion of Sansa's play is "yo what a ice-cold bitch", I can stand by that. I don't think I can stand by a conclusion of "Sansa was dumb". She recognized Jon's weakness and Ramsay's weakness, and effectively executed a plan that ended up with Ramsay dead and Winterfell in her hands.

I hope this will be addressed next episode with Jon confronting Sansa about this.

Whatever happened to Karstark? I don't remember seeing him go down.

Tormund killed him I think? Stabbed him in the face a few times.

Pkaz01

It was cool to see the legacy that Jon and Dany have created that people will talk about throughout Westeros. Jon and his skills in battle and retaking his homeland, and Dany and her overpowered army and dragons and how she ravaged through Essos.

The concept of the new generation taking over is pretty cool.

Black_Sun

I feel like over the years I've been pretty clear about where I think the books fall short (hell if you comb this thread you'll likely find my most recent blurb about it). As for why I think the show is good, I think it is a fun story that is well realized with competent directors, fine actors, decent writing and overall production. I think the show has done an excellent job of cutting down on Martin's excess, and where the show has fallen short, I honestly attribute it to trying to adapt garbage that shouldn't have been in the story to begin with (Dorne, Dorne, Dorne).

I'm hardly a troll. I only post in here at most once a week after an episode has aired and then leave everyone to their hate-in.

What did they adapt from Book Dorne? The stories don't even resemble each other.

Apparently they weren't even going to go for it until Cogman had a really dumb idea to send Jaime there.

Black_Sun

I think there are lots of people here who prefer what the show is doing in comparison to the books. That's fine. But in my opinion the lowest of lows on the show is, like, F- tier garbage compared to the lowest of lows from the books. At the books' worst they're just "boring". The show can get downright embarrassing at times.

This is how I feel about it.

The books has more consistent quality that ranges from A to C. It's mostly in the B range post book 3 though.

And the show goes from B to F. And it's mostly in the D range post season 4.

Kickz

Just finished watching this after the NBA finals game, and I gotta say what an episode..

Has to be the greatest Game of Thrones episode ever, this was better then any blockbuster movie this year. Bravo season 6 for restoring the good name of this show.

-Bolton went out like a boss

-Sansa got her shine

-Dany wasn't annoying and was actually badass

-And ofcourse Snow, nothing more to be said of this dude

Eidan

What did they adapt from Book Dorne? The stories don't even resemble each other.

Apparently they weren't even going to go for it until Cogman had a really dumb idea to send Jaime there.
They shouldn't have moved the action to Dorne at all. Much like the books shouldn't have.

faer0n

Tormund taking it to Karstark Umber was great, fucking clown that guy.

Seeing Ramsay with hints of cowardice and fear were great. But overall, I feel Jon's character is lacking something and it's been that way since his resurrection. Probably intentional but I don't like it.
He is lacking his
burning sword

Jetman

So how dead is Yara once she tells the ironborn to stop being ironborn?

Yeah, I didn't consider this. It was a good deal for her to make for herself, but not a good deal for her people.
That's how they stay alive and support themselves is by reaving, not building, hunting, manufacturing, or growing. I guess they could be really tough fishermen.

• Loved to finally hear Daenerys embrace that her father was a terrible person. The Usurper labeling is still grating, but understandable. She's only met Selmy and Tyrion, both figures will grievances against the powers-that-be in Westeros, and none of those who she's been told most of her life want nothing more than to put her tarred head on a spike. Viserys did a lot of damage, so it will be interesting to see how she will adapt once she meets whatever remains of these houses.
  • As great as the battle was, it seemed a bit of a waste for three dragons on a single...longship? Galley? Whatever it was, and keeping it mind that she wants to leave as many ships intact, it was still an odd choice to show.
  • The Bastardbowl plan seemed solid, given what information was provided and the forces known. Unfortunately, Sansa didn't want to be forthcoming with information despite complaining that they weren't consulting her as their most valuable intelligence asset.
  • Night's Watch desertion charge was finally mentioned...probably for the last and only time.
  • The drama with Rickon, Ramsay, and Jon wasn't the greatest in writing as its only purpose was to force Jon to be foolish for family against Sansa's warnings, but it seemed to work well for a lot of show-only watchers. Not quite sure Ramsay needed another despicable act, but maybe it was just to highlight how right Sansa was even while she was holding back the key Vale info.
  • Seems odd Wun-wun wouldn't be armed, or grab a spearman by the spear to use as a sweep device, or do the shield thing he did near the end....really, Wun Wun was nerfed out on the field, despite that the situation would still have likely been an issue for him.
  • No Karstark present was odd. Umber vs Tormund was fitting given the sigil and reason to fight.
  • Good to see Tyrion being used more effectively. Cockless wonder jokes to continue at the expense of Theon next season.
  • Interesting to see how well Yara and Daenerys took to each other. On one hand, they respect the other's position of power in a world where men inherit the titles and power typically. Yara also didn't have much of a choice in her situation but to accept the terms. Yet it was still a big deal for ironborn to have their culture essentially abolished. Good news is that this indicates that the Dothraki won't be the raping and pillaging horde many claim will be the case.
  • The pile of bodies...Jon being trampled and suffocating...the brutality. If nothing else, the Battle of the Bastards was shot well and portrayed the brutality above what is typical in the large scale scenes we've seen before.
  • No North Remembers actions was the sour point next to the communication issue between the Starks. I didn't expect a speech and the show had set it in well that there wouldn't be such a moment taking place with the northmen present at the battle, but still a bummer that it was a straight forward affair.
  • Vale stuff was predictable and over done within the genre (and show itself in a way). However, it was still exciting to see happen, and the ramifications in the next episode in what position it places Littlefinger in above Jon and Sansa will be the interesting bit (hopefully).
  • The use of the hounds to dispose Ramsay was fitting, but the grin on Sansa as she walked away was haunting. Ghost fit his namesake well, but the dragons all in action was worth it. Seeing what happened to Summer may have been a good case to keep Ghost off the field for a while longer.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable episode, especially in this new direct and off-the-rails style the writers have employed due to the absence of further material. Hopefully next week will have the pay off to these events.
Anyone else annoyed that Daenerys had to look back for Tyrion's approval?

He personally knows Theon, and very informed on the history of the Greyjoys. Aside from being her top advisor currently, he's really the only thing she has to reliably size up and handle affairs regarding the houses of the seven kingdoms without defaulting to fire and blood.

So I don't see the issue. Especially when a big book and show complaint is how she's impulsive and ignorant.

Brakke

Banned
Also, a little touch I really liked: Dany not being quite sure what to do when Yara offers her hand. She's never had to meet anyone as an equal before, so hand shaking is completely foreign to her.

Yeah, Dany's never made an alliance. She's conquered and she's accepted supplicants; she's begged and she's made offers that were refused; but I don't think she's never cut a deal.

Big time. Rulers making the "right" decision but being resented by their people for it is kind of A Thing in this series.

Kozak

Banned
Ramsay's death was satisfying.

Jon beating him was a lot more enjoyable tho.

What I really liked about Ramsay was that even after his defeat he was still an insufferable evil cunt. I like that his character didn't break. It suits Ramsay.

edit:

I looooved Theon and Tyrion today. I hope that we do see more scenes of them together.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
It was either that or he'd tell another joke.

I'd argue it gives her plot armour. This show is about learning to exist outside the borders of what is considered the natural order. All the main characters is a bastard in some way. Tyrion, Dany, Jon, Arya, The Hound, Ramsey, etc. And now Yara decides to be something new ushering in a new order. It fits with the narrative and pretty much guarantees her survival.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sad that Rickon and his crew were disposed of in the show. I hope that's not how it plays out in the books, but we'll see.

Either way, that was a stellar episode. Very cathartic. Just glad that things are really moving along and captain plot armor asshole is out of the picture finally.

Tiktaalik

It was either that or he'd tell another joke.

It may not be as big of a deal as you think. If you look back at the history of Westeros the Iron Islands go through periods of reaving and not reaving, so it's not unprecedented. Essentially the stronger the Iron Islands get the less pillaging and reaving they do and they become like just one of the other seven kingdoms. They are only reavers when they're weak and marginalized. For example Harrenhall was built by Iron Islander Harren Hoare at the peak of "Iron Islander" power. He never even visited the Iron Islands. He was no reaver.

BTW if Yara x Daenerys is something that wasn't shipped that much before, I bet that's changed starting tonight. Great scene between those two this episode.

carlsojo

Ramsay was arguably the best battle commander in the entire show, his defeat of Jon would have been utterly flawless. I kind of regret we won't see Ramsay go up against the Night King.

It may not be as big of a deal as you think. If you look back at the history of Westeros the Iron Islands go through periods of reaving and not reaving, so it's not unprecedented. Essentially the stronger the Iron Islands get the less pillaging and reaving they do and they become like just one of the other seven kingdoms. They are only reavers when they're weak and marginalized. For example Harrenhall was built by Iron Islander Harren Hoare at the peak of "Iron Islander" power. He never even visited the Iron Islands. He was no reaver.

BTW if Yara x Daenerys is something that wasn't shipped that much before, I bet that's changed starting tonight. Great scene between those two this episode.

Agreed, they had greaaat chemistry. They could still be the badasses of the seas. Instead of being stuck raiding to survive they could be the Queen's Royal Navy.

Timbuktu

Yeah. KoH DC had some really awesome battles. The structure of this left a lot to be desired but the actual production values and cinematography of it was very very close to KoH or Braveheart. HBO put the money where it counts, though some of the CGI in the unbroken shot of Jon killing people was kind of obvious.

It was the top down shot with the slow panning out with Jon buried in the sea of bodies that reminded me of KoH.

duckroll

Easily the best episode of the season so far, and one of the best episodes of the series yet. The scale, the grittiness, the satisfaction. Wow. Opening with Meereen was very smart, because it raised the stakes and expectations immediately. The dragon VFX was pretty impressive, and despite all the iffiness of Dany's storyline, seeing her actually ride Drogo and command the other two dragons in a full assault on the fleet was... wow.

Tormund/Davos scenes before the battle were fantastic. Kit Harrington really nailed all his scenes this week. There were so many fantastic shots during the battle. The single cut sequence with Jon wandering through the battlefield was really well shot. The scene with Jon being piled on as the wildlings made their ascent through the bodies and blocked out his light captured the intensity and chaos of the battle perfectly. The knights of the Vale crushing through the barricade was beautiful.

I don't think I disliked a single scene in this entire episode. Even Dany's exchange with Yara felt thematically fitting. Two women with bad fathers bonding over their desire to see women ruling kingdoms of men. Good stuff. It's extra amazing how they STILL managed to sneak in a cock reference. They just had to. Dat quota. :p

Wunwun breaking through Winterfell's gates. Jon blocking Ramsay's arrows. Ramsay getting his face bashed in. Darth Sansa unleashing the hounds. Oh man, Anyone who does not love this episode should just stop watching this series, imo!

Tiktaalik

I was actually a bit surprised that we were already at episode 9, and thus a massive battle was required. I thought there was going to be another episode of some build up and intrigue. I don't understand how you name drop Manderly all season long and have nothing come of it. If he shows up next episode I don't really know what the point is. To kill some Freys maybe? I dunno that just seems out of the blue.

Tiktaalik

Easily the best episode of the season so far, and one of the best episodes of the series yet. The scale, the grittiness, the satisfaction. Wow. Opening with Meereen was very smart, because it raised the stakes and expectations immediately. The dragon VFX was pretty impressive, and despite all the iffiness of Dany's storyline, seeing her actually ride Drogo and command the other two dragons in a full assault on the fleet was... wow.

Tormund/Davos scenes before the battle were fantastic. Kit Harrington really nailed all his scenes this week. There were so many fantastic shots during the battle. The single cut sequence with Jon wandering through the battlefield was really well shot. The scene with Jon being piled on as the wildlings made their ascent through the bodies and blocked out his light captured the intensity and chaos of the battle perfectly. The knights of the Vale crushing through the barricade was beautiful.

I don't think I disliked a single scene in this entire episode. Even Dany's exchange with Yara felt thematically fitting. Two women with bad fathers bonding over their desire to see women ruling kingdoms of men. Good stuff. It's extra amazing how they STILL managed to sneak in a cock reference. They just had to. Dat quota. :p

Wunwun breaking through Winterfell's gates. Jon blocking Ramsay's arrows. Ramsay getting his face bashed in. Darth Sansa unleashing the hounds. Oh man, Anyone who does not love this episode should just stop watching this series, imo!

+1 This episode was absolutely phenomenal.

It was so satisfying as well to see the direwolf banner unfolding and see the Starks win something, even though Rickon lost his life.

The tension going into the next episode is so high. You know there's gotta be a big ask from Littlefinger and the Vale for their help. What is that going to be?

I was impressed by the the Dragons enough to forgive the pointless negotiation scene and the Sons Of The Harpy conveniently slaughtering people at the front gate so that the Dothraki could charge at them.

My only doubt about how the Winterfell battle would play out was exactly who would turn up to save the day, I half expected Brienne and the Brotherhood to ride in as well. Jon Snow on foot in the middle of a cavalry charge, then a hail of arrows, with only his plot armour to protect him doesn't seem like something they'd have done in season 1. Very well shot, but the writing is plumbing new depths. Everything feels rushed and poorly thought out.

Kozak

Banned
Sansa's hand in marriage.

Definitely.

I was doing some rewatching and Littlefinger definitely did not know Ramsay when he gave Sansa to him.

He even commented that he knew very little about him which is odd.

Littlefinger also does seem to know about R+L=J or at least highly suspects it to be the case. He knows Lyanna wasn't forcefully taken or raped.

I'm really intrigued to find out what happens when Dany reaches Westeros. The North was a big part of usurping the Targaryen's and as I recall the Iron Islands don't have too much love for the North either. Maybe Theon is the one to pull through on uniting Dany and the North?

The people in this thread are a lost cause. Leave them to their ramblings and hopes for books that will never come.

Oh they'll come out one day, far away. At least, TWOW will. And it will be rushed and even more poorly paced than ADWD if thats even possible, because GRRM won't bother editing it cause he needs it out ASAP and he knows fans will buy it regardless.

ADOS will be even worse, unless its partially or wholly Ghostwritten, in which case its a toss-up.

Speaking of which. Where the fuck IS Ghost. Is he back in the Wall? Did Jon bring him with him? Why wasn't he in the battle? Especially if Jon was going to charge out alone. ??????????

He swam out to Gendry's boat.

NeoGiff

What a superbly directed episode. I really hope Sapochnik has a massive career after this.

One thing I really appreciated was that the oner tracking Jon when the battle starts didn't exist solely to have a tracking shot. There was a clear purpose to it, as it demonstrated the absolute chaos and element of random chance in battle.

Speaking of which. Where the fuck IS Ghost. Is he back in the Wall? Did Jon bring him with him? Why wasn't he in the battle? Especially if Jon was going to charge out alone. ??????????

Blew all the cgi budget on horses and giants i'm guessing :d

Ghost coming through the gates with Jon and mauling Ramsay would have been ace

WHAT A GODDAMN EPISODE. SEASON OF DREAMS.

Daenarys burning the Master's fleet was beautiful, like watching Aegon the Conqueror unleash wrath upon them. Tyrion's plan was great, too, if not at all unexpected.

Lol at Theon and Yara appearing out of fucking nowhere, though. They literally teleported in. Cool scene between Tyrion and Theon, though.

And then the battle. Goddamn the battle. I legit feared Jon was fucked a few times, when he charged forward into Ramsay's trap. Got played like a damn fiddle.

Rickon's death was edited fantastically, though. When he misses that final shot, and then Rickon gets perforated anyway. Poor kid, really fucking sad scene when they brought him in at the end.

Tormund ripping out the Smalljon's throat was fucking glorious. Goddamn Wildling power.

Fucking Wun Wun, though. Having Ramsay take him out was the final insult. I half-expected Ramsay to get shot up before Jon could get to him. Having Sansa do the deed would've been sweet.

Her final words to Ramsay were dope, though. She wasn't kidding when she said she knew him. She broke him down piece by piece. Having the dogs do the deed was damn poetry, even if I saw it coming from a while away.

Gonna be interesting to see how the Jon - Littlefinger relationship develops. I also got the feeling Jon might want to know where the fuck those Vale knights came from, all of a sudden.

All in all, fucking great episode. No real surprises, but damn if it wasn't great to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom