• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisco

Banned
There may be something to Sansa not caring about or perhaps even wanting the death of as many of Jon's men as possible. Remember how she continues repeating some variation of "no one can protect me", so she's probably thinking the only way she can be safe is by being in a position of power herself. That's not the sister of a Lord or one's niece, she wants her own lands and armies loyal to her. However, I believe the main reason she didn't tell Jon is because she simply didn't know if Littlefinger's army would show up on time, or at all. There's really nothing different Jon could have done, other than perhaps be a bit more conservative, but it's not like Sansa didn't warn him not to charge in like an idiot.

Iksenpets

Banned
Sansa's actions are much easier to explain by just thinking about what the writers wanted.

They wanted a scene where Sansa tells Littlefinger to fuck off, and reject his apology and his offer of help. This is because Sansa has to be a ~~~***badass***~~~ who don't need no help. Then, they wanted a scene where the battle appears lost, but is ultimately won because of a surprise attack.

To make these scenes happen, the characters have to be behave in irrational and contradictory ways. I think Arya's stabbing shows it's incredibly unlikely that there's anything more to it.

General rule for interpreting the show: If you think you have parsed characters' motivations in some very well-thought-out way to uncover some sort of secret plan or conspiracy that was never detailed explicitly in dialogue, you're probably wrong. It happened way back in the day with Talisa, it happened earlier in this season with the that's-not-Arya theories, and now we're doing it again with Sansa. D&D just aren't writing to be analyzed that closely. You're thinking about it more than they are.

Sansa had no plan. Just a desperate dice roll that worked at the last minute. She didn't tell Jon first and foremost because it would have spoiled the writers' game, which relied on viewers forgetting the letter-writing scene from a few episodes back, or failing to have ever put together who she was even writing to, which is honestly how most viewers probably experienced the scene. If you asked the writers, they'd probably explain it away by saying that she knew convincing Jon to wait was futile, or that she was too unsure they were coming to risk Jon's battle plans on a hope, but if you're expecting some reveal that she's actually a master schemer removing all impediments to her power, you're probably going to be disappointed.

I'm still not clear why the hell Sansa didn't tell Jon that she asked for reinforcements. What is there to gain by keeping that a secret? Was she secretly hoping that Jon would get killed and then she can swoop in with the knights of the Vale?

Additionally, I would have thought that Jon would have learned a thing or two and been a better battle commander and not foolishly rush into battle like that. So much for their plan.

It's kind of weird, there have been other scenes in other TV shows or movies (one movie in particular comes to mind), where the audience has to accept a character doing something stupid because they're overcome with emotion and rage. I guess we have to accept that in this case, with Jon.
If he didn't move forward he'd be hit by the rain of arrows. The main mistake Jon made was going for Rickon at all.

Yoda

I'm wondering besides the ending to the ToJ scene if they will show Bran making it passed the wall and what the Nights King and crew will be doing.

What will Cersei do? So many damn questions!

I imagine if Cersei think's she is going to die, she'll make sure the High Sparrow goes with her.

SpaceHorror

Ramsays trap would not work if Jon had the number of mounted units available to him through the Vale. The Vale has completely sat out the war of the 5 kings and is as strong as the North combined. If that was Sansa's thought process, then she's an idiot since she wasted the lives of all those north men.

Never said Sansa's plan was smart.

Or maybe I'm putting it all on her and it was Littlefinger who chose to wait. It would certainly benefit him for Jon's troops to be depeleted.

Or maybe I'm just completely wrong and he showed up right on time. It's not as dramatically interesting, but again, D&D.

Lothar

Banned
Jon doesn't seem too happy about his return at all tbh. So yeah, maybe not everyone wants to be brought back from the dead by a witch. Tbh, this convo can go in circles all day.

I mean, it's not like Jon will kill himself after the war is over because he's too broken and miserable to go on. I can't imagine that. Eventually he would probably learn to like life again. He will probably be glad that he still exists. He seemed happy when he got reunited with Sansa.

General rule for interpreting the show: If you think you have parsed character's motivations in some very well-thought-out way to uncover some sort of secret plan or conspiracy that was never detailed explicitly in dialogue, you're probably wrong. It happened way back in the day with Talisa, it happened earlier in this season with the that's-not-Arya theories, and now we're doing it again with Sansa. D&D just aren't writain't to be analyzed that closely. You're thinking about it more than they are.

Sansa had no plan. Just a desperate dice roll that worked at the last minute. She didn't tell Jon first and foremost because it would have spoiled the writers' game, which relied on viewers forgetting the letter-writing scene from a few episodes back, or failing to have ever put together who she was even writing to, which is honestly how most viewers probably experienced the scene. If you asked the writers, they'd probably explain it away by saying that she knew convincing Jon to wait was futile, or that she was too unsure they were coming to risk Jon's battle plans on a hope, but if you're expecting some reveal that she's actually a master schemer removing all impediments to her power, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Yup.

mantidor

I don't have a problem with them killing Ramsay, obviously. Just with how nonchalant she was about inflicting unnecessary, brutal violence, even to a person she hates. Feeding people to dogs is what crazy people do, even if they in some sense deserve it.

The point of Ramsay's death was to erase him, as Sansa said, his name and his house will both disappear, he won't even have a burial or an execution, he'll be dog droppings.

It wasn't only about violence, it was about him being brought down from his arrogance, because he swore his starving dogs wouldn't attack him. Sansa wanted to smack some reality into him. As I expected he even smiled when Jon punched him, merely torturing him wasn't going to do it for Sansa, she knew him.

He eats babies.

Nope, he makes helpless incest-bred babies that would have been killed by Craster anyway into immortal ice gods. The Night King is the hero of the story.

I mean, it's not like Jon will kill himself after the war is over because he's too broken and miserable to go on. I can't imagine that. Eventually he would probably learn to like life again. He will probably be glad that he still exists. He seemed happy when he got reunited with Sansa.

He outright said he didn't want to be brought back again. Apparently, it wasn't a grand enough experience for him to want to relive it. What he may or may not feel years down the road is guesswork. We know now that he doesn't want to go through it again.

studyguy

Fight was much better produced than I would have given HBO credit for being able to make.

I guess it's time for Littlefinger to return, zzz

no one knows about bran, Sansa will be queen in the north, and if he marries her he controls the vale and the north which is a huge territory and quite a step into the direction to become king of westeros, which is actually what I think his endgame is

Doesn't Sam tell Jon about Bran in th show? It's been awhile so I could be misremembering. Of course they could just assume that since Bran was going north of the Wall, he's fucked.

Mr Git

So is next episode going to have Cersei using the wildfire - but the little birds killing Kevan and the arrival of the white raven? Could be why Varys went back.

Iksenpets

Banned

Really surprised to read that trampling and suffocation scene was improvved by the director when the scripted scene fell through due to rain. That was probably my favorite part of the whole thing.

With the Boltons gone, I wonder who gets the Dreadfort?

Man, I would probably tear the thing down. Gotta erase those Boltons from history. You have plenty of rewards to hand out between Karhold and Last Hearth and Deepwood Motte to reward everyone who fought for you. Disinherit Glover for failing to answer the call and give his lands over to Lady Mormont, give Last Hearth to Tormund to serve as the castle for all the wildling lands in the New Gift, give Karhold to Davos. No one needs the Dreadfort.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Really surprised to read that trampling and suffocation scene was improved by the director when the scripted scene fell through due to rain. That was probably my favorite part of the whole thing.

Yeah, read that line, just makes me more impressed at Miguel Sapochnik's abilities at directing.

Lothar

Banned
He outright said he didn't want to be brought back again. Apparently, it wasn't a grand enough experience for him to want to relive it. What he may or may not feel years down the road is guesswork. We know now that he doesn't want to go through it again.

Yeah very selfish and assholish of him to think everyone feels the same way. "I don't want to live, so no one should want to live."

Forkball

With the Boltons gone, I wonder who gets the Dreadfort?
r/Dreadfort is in disarray after this episode.

The past two episodes have had some of the best "roll up outta nowhere" scenes in the show with Dany and Yara arriving in Mereen. Roose at the Red Wedding is still the king.

LordCanti

I'm still not clear why the hell Sansa didn't tell Jon that she asked for reinforcements. What is there to gain by keeping that a secret? Was she secretly hoping that Jon would get killed and then she can swoop in with the knights of the Vale?

I don't know why she didn't tell him. Pride I suppose, since she had been offered a large force and declined it thinking that she could woo Northern houses to her cause with her name alone. She couldn't be sure LF had gotten the raven or that he was coming anyway.

General rule for interpreting the show: If you think you have parsed characters' motivations in some very well-thought-out way to uncover some sort of secret plan or conspiracy that was never detailed explicitly in dialogue, you're probably wrong. It happened way back in the day with Talisa, it happened earlier in this season with the that's-not-Arya theories, and now we're doing it again with Sansa. D&D just aren't writing to be analyzed that closely. You're thinking about it more than they are.

This is pretty much my exact opinion on the subject. Sansa's grand contribution to the war effort was desperately asking Littlefinger for help even though she had sent Littlefinger away previously. She's not a strategist and she's not playing the "game" yet. Hopefully that changes very soon with how she handles the new power structure in Winterfell but even that isn't a given.

r/Dreadfort is in disarray after this episode.

The past two episodes have had some of the best "roll up outta nowhere" scenes in the show with Dany and Yara arriving in Mereen. Roose at the Red Wedding is still the king.

Littlefinger slipping the entire host of the Vale as far North as Winterfell without even one raven or rider getting through to warn Ramsay is a damn fine feat in its own right too.

Iksenpets

Banned
Preview thought:
The stuff with Frey and Jaime sure looks like they're setting up RW 2.0, but I can't figure out how the hell they could get there in a single episode. In the books it's implied that the Brotherhood and Blackfish' men will carry it out, but the show Brotherhood has shown no interest in seeking revenge against the Freys, and the only way I could see getting them there is if they rez Blackfish, and he takes control, but that seems like way too much to happen in one episode. Other option I've heard is Arya having a role in it, but that would require her landing in Westeros, finding out Frey is having a party, getting there, devising a plan, and carrying it out in one episode. I would think that they planning it more for next season, but then why the feast scene now?

dubq

Has everyone forgotten that the Citadel has already sent out white ravens?

WhiteRaven.jpg

pr0cs

Story elements and hand -wringing aside, I really thought the fight sequence was really well done for a TV show. Felt a bit like return of the King with a lot more sensibility as to the horror and chaos of war. Rain or otherwise I would have imagined that being an extra for those shoots would have been fun as hell

mantidor

Preview thought:
The stuff with Frey and Jaime sure looks like they're setting up RW 2.0, but I can't figure out how the hell they could get there in a single episode. In the books it's implied that the Brotherhood and Blackfish' men will carry it out, but the show Brotherhood has shown no interest in seeking revenge against the Freys, and the only way I could see getting them there is if they rez Blackfish, and he takes control, but that seems like way too much to happen in one episode. Other option I've heard is Arya having a role in it, but that would require her landing in Westeros, finding out Frey is having a party, getting there, devising a plan, and carrying it out in one episode. I would think that they planning it more for next season, but then why the feast scene now?

Well apparently the finale is going to be the longest episode in the whole series.

Forkball

Preview thought:
Jaime is also there, so I don't think we will get a RW 2.0. I read some speculation that Frey's sons might off him, which would be pretty unsatisfactory in my eyes. I don't think that scene will be much and it will probably focus on Jaime and not Frey

Iksenpets

Banned
Jaime is also there, so I don't think we will get a RW 2.0. I read some speculation that Frey's sons might off him, which would be pretty unsatisfactory in my eyes. I don't think that scene will be much and it will probably focus on Jaime and not Frey

I could see that. The scene may just be Jaime feeling like shit plus some teasing for the season 7 Frey plot. It would honestly feel kind of like cheap pandering to lose Frey one episode after Ramsay finally got his.

Yeah very selfish and assholish of him to think everyone feels the same way. "I don't want to live, so no one should want to live."

It's also not a trick someone performs at the circus for a copper. This is honestly a pointless discussion.

It's basically saying why didn't jon bring back X character? Why doesn't he get Meli to bring back his whole army? Why don't they go dig up ned and see what can be done for him while they're at it?

Mully

If the Freys killed Jaime and Cersei lost again to the High Sparrow, that would be enough for her to burn Kings Landing to the ground.

Sethista

I could see that. The scene may just be Jaime feeling like shit plus some teasing for the season 7 Frey plot. It would honestly feel kind of like cheap pandering to lose Frey one episode after Ramsay finally got his.

they are moving all pieces at high speed now, to get to the WW part of the story and the endgame. I see frey dying next episode, and next year it will be all WW all the time, and dany coming to westeros.

All other plots will be resolved already, high sparrow, lannisters and freys.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Additionally, I would have thought that Jon would have learned a thing or two and been a better battle commander and not foolishly rush into battle like that. So much for their plan.

It's kind of weird, there have been other scenes in other TV shows or movies (one movie in particular comes to mind), where the audience has to accept a character doing something stupid because they're overcome with emotion and rage. I guess we have to accept that in this case, with Jon.

The writers are idiots.

Sansa wanting Jon to die is the only reason for her not to tell him. Now, I don't think the writers are that clever. They wanted their battle and tension and they just made Sansa look like and idiot to do it.

Morts

Sansa wrote to Littlefinger, but we don't know that she got a reply before he showed up. I assumed she didn't tell Jon about the Vale army because she didn't know they were actually coming for sure.

Real Hero

The writers are idiots.

Sansa wanting Jon to die is the only reason for her not to tell him. Now, I don't think the writers are that clever. They wanted their battle and tension and they just made Sansa look like and idiot to do it.

yeah she really fucked Jon over but we aren't supposed to take it that way

Why do people think the Frey's will die next week? Who will kill them? The Starks/Vale army are a fair distance away to suddenly be that far south, aren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom