• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdstorm

Banned
yeah she really fucked Jon over but we aren't supposed to take it that way

Well if you go back to the books. Sansa wouldn't actually be in the north with Jon. She'd be coming from the vale unannounced, and this battle would mark the first time a Stark sibling had seen each other since book one (not including bran and rickon traveling togeather in later books.) Combining Jon and Sansa's reunion with this battle would give it extra meaning however since the show used that plot point earlier in the season this battle had less impact then it is probably meant to have

Lothar

Banned
yeah she really fucked Jon over but we aren't supposed to take it that way

I think we're supposed to take it that Sansa was correct assuming that Ramsay would outsmart Jon.

Maybe they wouldn't have won if she hadn't held that information back. They would have all been in Ramsay's trap.

Jon Snow knows nothing.

Henkka

Banned
The writers are idiots.

Sansa wanting Jon to die is the only reason for her not to tell him. Now, I don't think the writers are that clever. They wanted their battle and tension and they just made Sansa look like and idiot to do it.

The worst part is no one on the show will call her out on it, I'm guessing. She's written to act like an idiot to make a plot point happen, but portrayed as a competent and savvy player.

Sansa didn't know that there knights were coming. She has already told Jon to wait for more men. Sansa was right that Ramsay will be the one laying the trap.

I think the knights situation will clear up in the next episode.

nOoblet16

So is this where the entire budget for this season went then ?
In which case I think we can expect a rather quiet finale with maybe a "shocking" revelation at the end...lol

Violater

I'm just joking man. That's what I like about this series, even goody two-shoes like Jon Snow still have character flaws and are faced with morally difficult decisions. It's exciting to see how characters change over the course of the story. Did you think Sansa was going to execute a dude via dogs when she was practicing courtesies with Cersei in season one? I didn't!

I would not say Dany is a villain, but it should be interesting to see how Westeros perceives her. She's the daughter of a king nobody liked, is aligned with the Greyjoys who are known for maliciously attacking others for no real reason, aligned with Tyrion who is still presumed to have murdered Joffrey and Tywin in cold blood, has an army composed of (ex)slaves and violent raiders famous for razing and raping, three gigantic hellbeasts that breathe fire, and has doomstacked numerous cities in Essos, where she crucified the old rulers. I mean for John Q. Westerosi, she sounds pretty scary on paper.

Fair enough.

Does anyone else think that Sansa is pregnant?

dubq

The worst part is no one on the show will call her out on it, I'm guessing. She's written to act like an idiot to make a plot point happen, but portrayed as a competent and savvy player.

Unless you look at the preview for episode ten where Jon is clearly talking to her about it.

Sansa didn't know that there knights were coming. She has already told Jon to wait for more men. Sansa was right that Ramsay will be the one laying the trap.

I think the knights situation will clear up in the next episode.
What men was he supposed to wait for? She kept her mouth shut and didn't put up an argument. And of course Ramsay was going to lay a trap, but she didn't offer anything to expect, just vague nonsense. She complains about not being asked for her insight but then says jackshit of use.

Forkball

What men was he supposed to wait for? She kept her mouth shut and didn't put up an argument. And of course Ramsay was going to lay a trap, but she didn't offer anything to expect, just vague nonsense. She complains about not being asked for her insight but then says jackshit of use.
She says basically to forget about Rickon and not make hasty decisions that give Ramsay the advantage. Jon didn't listen.

she even responds "I don't know anything about battles!!"

lol. Either way if Jon waited around Ramsay would pull off one of his sneak attacks with good men on their camp and they'd be unprepared and fucked. Jon did the best possible thing, only screw up was taking the fight to ramsay so he didn't follow his own plan.

I hope Jon doesn't forget to go burn the field full of bodies now.

And I agree, Sansa was being useless. Jon asked her, what other men. She could have said something about the Vale, that she at least wrote and she didn't. Jon asked what traps and she said she didn't know.

She says to Jon not to do what Ramsey expects him to do ==> Jon ignores it completely and Ramsey plays him like a fiddle
It was like a total war game were you lure the stupid AI enemy commander away and then kill him while his army isn't near. Only this time it didn't work because Davos and Tormund had the one brain cell required to see what was about to happen and charged the cavarly to try and save him

She says basically to forget about Rickon and not make hasty decisions that give Ramsay the advantage. Jon didn't listen.
That was under the assumption that Rickon was dead. And honestly, she's the one who told him to save him in the first place in 6x04

Northern families are loyal.
They'll fight for you if you ask.
A monster has taken our home and our brother.
We have to go back to Winterfell and save them both.

Violater

I hope Jon doesn't forget to go burn the field full of bodies now.

And I agree, Sansa was being useless. Jon asked her, what other men. She could have said something about the Vale, that she at least wrote and she didn't. Jon asked what traps and she said she didn't know.

She is going to betray Jon outright and we all know it. Sansa has no redeeming qualities in my book, she didn't even get her own hands bloody while exacting her revenge.

studyguy

We're supposed to see what was basically fortunate happenstance as some shrewd tactical maneuver. That other poster previously put it pretty succinctly, for whatever reason Sansa seems to have forgone giving Jon the heads up. There's literally no reason for it. Even if they holed up, we had WunWun literally slam down the door to Winterfell so it's like eh... It's just supposed to be exciting TV so whatever. Just gonna let it be.

One might read that Sansa can't seem to trust anyone any longer, probably has taken on some sinister edge from all her past. I wouldn't blame her if she had, but I'd wager it won't even be delved into, we're just going to move on with other plotlines. Probably LF fuckery. I don't see her as betraying Jon as much as her shortsightedness fucking things up for people.

She is going to betray Jon outright and we all know it. Sansa has no redeeming qualities in my book, she didn't even get her own hands bloody while exacting her revenge.

Yea and it's going to suck.

Sansa screws Jon over. Arya comes back, finds out and gets revenge against Sansa?

Actually, now that Starks have Winterfell and the north back.
1) If King's Landing wasn't about to get messed up probably, would they send an army north or not? It's not like the reiverlands where Frey's could be in charge. There are literally no more Boltons.
2) Word will spread, will Arya find out and start heading there?

edit, god dammit!
Arya will kill Sansa.

edit 2: Really really wish they gave Wunwun a chain or even a tree or something, ugh.

dani_dc

Rather than being so general about giving up on Rickon, and seeing as she knew Ramsay from experience as she so very well put it, she should had told Jon that Ramsay was likely to use Rickon as a bait and detail what that might entail considering Ramsay tendencies (anything from torturing Rickon alive to parading his body).

That was the one advice she could had given to Jon and she failed to properly do so.

Mr.Pig

So,
if Littlefinger is asking what he seems to be asking for in the preview for the next episode,
what was the point of the whole Sansa-Bolton marriage? What did he gain from that that he didn't already have?

dabig2

Unless you look at the preview for episode ten where Jon is clearly talking to her about it.

Yeah, I think they're going to go back to when even Brienne questioned Sansa on why she didn't alert Jon to the fact that her cousin with a fresh, large army was literally camped already in the North and willing to help retake Winterfell. Sansa should have alerted Jon and his commanders to the Vale force ages ago in the first place and he will rightfully question her about why she didn't. Like that is some major trust issues there.

I fully expect the opening previously segment to have Littlefinger reiterating to her about Jon being her "half-brother".

So,
if Littlefinger is asking what he seems to be asking for in the preview for the next episode,
what was the point of the whole Sansa-Bolton marriage? What did he gain from that that he didn't already have?

She's in a position of power now?

This was all LF's master plan to get rid of the Boltons.

Yeah, I think they're going to go back to when even Brienne questioned Sansa on why she didn't alert Jon to the fact that her cousin with a fresh, large army was literally camped already in the North and willing to help retake Winterfell. Sansa should have alerted Jon and his commanders to the Vale force ages ago in the first place and he will rightfully question her about why she didn't. Like that is some major trust issues there.

I fully expect the opening previously segment to have Littlefinger reiterating to her about Jon being her "half-brother".

Before, Sansa was getting played and didn't realize it. Now, Sansa is getting played thinking she's doing the playing.

Speevy

Banned
I'm willing to suspend disbelief and just assume Sansa did not know Littlefinger would be true to his word.

She doesn't trust him.

She went and got him.

She arrived near the end.

That is by far the most reasonable explanation for the events that transpired.

mantidor

Rather than being so general about giving up on Rickon, and seeing as she knew Ramsay from experience as she so very well put it, she should had told Jon that Ramsay was likely to use Rickon as a bait and detail what that might entail considering Ramsay tendencies (anything from torturing Rickon alive to parading his body).

That was the one advice she could had given to Jon and she failed to properly do so.

There's no way she could have known how Ramsay was going to use Rickon, her advice was perfectly fine "don't do what he wants you to do", Jon still didn't listen.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I suspect there's a fairly sizeable chance that Varys is going to play a bigger role in the events of next weeks episode than most of us are expecting.

studyguy

LF seemed like a man with a plan at first but now he just seems bored.

Feels like he was specifically written out of the current dealings for the show when he could have been shown to influence things. To have him show up now, either he's going to be pushed into a position of influence or outright killed. It's one of the two. For all we know he might end up being one of the big players in the final season, but he's been out of the picture for so long I don't know. I agree seeing him back in the spotlight feels weird.

Is anyone else amazed that the Iron Fleet circumnavigated the world in around 12 hours? Unless the battle at Mereen was actually going on over the months it would have required. To me that was an even bigger contrived plot point than Littlefinger showing up.

As time goes on and the show changes more and more from the books, I get the feeling that the showrunners are following the LOST pattern: Planning the series a few episodes at a time rather than seasons in advance. I mean, they know they are guaranteed a certain amount of seasons to finish it, so why not plan everything out? Instead they seems to flounder around and introduce things and then drop them (see entire Dorne plot which served no purpose).

dani_dc

There's no way she could have known how Ramsay was going to use Rickon, her advice was perfectly fine "don't do what he wants you to do", Jon still didn't listen.

She couldn't know what he was going to specifically do with Rickon, but she spent enough time with Ramsay to come to the conclusion that he would use him as bait and prepare Jon to the worst case scenario of having to ignore Rickon circumstances (even if Jon acted as he did).

Instead she just yelled at him completely generic advice with no true insight to Ramsay character. "Don't do what he wants you to do" means nothing, you never plan to do what your opponent wanted you to, which is why Jon appropriate let her know he didn't intended to.

What Sansa could have brought to the table was insight on Ramsay, but when pressed about it she failed to say anything that wouldn't apply to any other person in Ramsay position.

So last week some people objected when I said this show is basically appealing to the Transformer audience.

But is there any doubt after this episode? Sure, it was a decently shot and staged battle/action scene, but is there anything to the show beyond that?

The characters' actions defied all logic, the dead bodies piling up on itself in the middle of an open field defied the laws of physic, the outcome was never in doubt despite hamfisted attempts to get the audience to think otherwise.

And let's not even mention that the site where Stannis was camped and Shireen was burnt is now confirmed to be right next to Winterfell, so why did Stannis have to burn her again?

Aurongel

Preview discussion:
They seem to be setting something up at The Twins.
Any thoughts?

Twist ending where Stoneheart shows up and butchers everyone? Seems silly for her to show up at this point considering the time lapse but it'd be one of those dumb shock beats the showrunners love.

Zabka

Is anyone else amazed that the Iron Fleet circumnavigated the world in around 12 hours? Unless the battle at Mereen was actually going on over the months it would have required. To me that was an even bigger contrived plot point than Littlefinger showing up.

Events are edited for dramatic effect. Several weeks often pass in the course of a single episode.

Black_Sun

I can totally do that with non-POV characters, too, tywin for instance.

but since you thought he only meant POV characters what I meant to say doesn't really matter anymore. the book is full of black and white characters. some of te POVs too. there isn't much grey about jon for instance. and I honestly don't see how a POV could point joffrey or ramsey in a better light, but I guess we'll never know.

Jon is an oathbreaker, that's willing to take child hostages and kill them(unlike Daenerys), and he's made threats to burn a baby to make Gilly do what she wants (kinda like Jaime did with Edmure), and he's willing to break his word if he thinks they're necessary to his goals

Brakke

Banned

Yeah it was crazy how fast they moved. But we're all well-served by letting it slide. We know from the books what the alternative is, and it's a like four different POV-travelogues dragging on for hundreds of pages mumbling about where whores go.

So last week some people objected when I said this show is basically appealing to the Transformer audience.

But is there any doubt after this episode?

Stop being a clown.

dabig2

I'm willing to suspend disbelief and just assume Sansa did not know Littlefinger would be true to his word.

She doesn't trust him.

She went and got him.

She arrived near the end.

That is by far the most reasonable explanation for the events that transpired.

I'm pretty sure Lord Royce and her cousin could have assuaged her fears, but instead she decides to waste Brienne on a fool's errand to fetch her old ass uncle who's holed up in his castle surrounded by enemies. I can only assume several weeks if not months have passed since her escape, so she had plenty of time and urgency to find out if LF was on the up and up.

Maybe I'm being overly bullish, but I just can't let this go because it's the shitty culmination of a shitty plot thread going back to last season when Sansa decided to marry her family's betrayers and consolidate their power, only to end up getting raped day in and day out and accomplishing literally nothing.

dani_dc

Seriously. I still find it weird how some people seem to think they're watching an episode of 24 when it comes to this show.

It's a bit jarring when you have one storyline taking place in the space of days and another in a space of weeks/months, especially when the storyline intertwine as they did with Theon and his sister meeting with Danny this week.

Black_Sun

I mean, it's not like Jon will kill himself after the war is over because he's too broken and miserable to go on. I can't imagine that. Eventually he would probably learn to like life again. He will probably be glad that he still exists. He seemed happy when he got reunited with Sansa.

He's gone full on Frodo post-Mount Doom at this point.

jdstorm

Banned
Lots of gaffers going full Ned Stark on this Sansa stuff.

Saying that Sansa should have told Jon about Littlefinger coming and used that extra information to save lives is stupid. If the game of thrones has one rule it's don't trust Peter Beilish Littlefinger could have just as easily joined the fight on team Bolton or not shown up at all. Planning a battle Stratergy that relies on Littlefinger to be reliable and predictable is incredibly stupid.

Sansa did everything right. She asked Jon to come up with a good plan. Told him to gather as many men as possible, warned him to be aware of Ramsey's provocations. And had 2 contingency plans. ( Littlefinger and Suicide)

Jon ignores every good piece of advice he gets, surviving purely on his +20 Plot Armour and suddenly it's the fault of his advisors that Jon ignored them and acted like an idiot.

I don't understand people who watch this show sometimes

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Well they left early in the morning.

Black_Sun

But is there any doubt after this episode? Sure, it was a decently shot and staged battle/action scene, but is there anything to the show beyond that?

The characters' actions defied all logic, the dead bodies piling up on itself in the middle of an open field defied the laws of physic, the outcome was never in doubt despite hamfisted attempts to get the audience to think otherwise.

And let's not even mention that the site where Stannis was camped and Shireen was burnt is now confirmed to be right next to Winterfell, so why did Stannis have to burn her again?

Holy shit! You're right. Wtf!

Stannis' old camp is right next to Winterfell -___-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom