• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabka

It's a bit jarring when you have one storyline taking place in a space of days and another in a space of weeks/months, especially when the storyline intertwine as they did with Theon and his sister meeting with Danny this week.

Yara and Theon left the Iron Islands the same episode Dany left Vaes Dothrak. Do you think it only took a few days for Dany to travel ~1,000 miles to Meereen?

mantidor

She couldn't know what he was going to specifically do with Rickon, but she spent enough time with Ramsay to come to the conclusion that he would use him as bait and prepare Jon to the worst case scenario of having to ignore Rickon circumstances (even if Jon acted as he did).

Instead she just yelled at him completely generic advice with no true insight to Ramsay character. "Don't do what he wants you to do" means nothing, you never plan to do what your opponent wanted you to, which is why Jon appropriate let her know he didn't intended to.

What Sansa could have brought to the table was insight on Ramsay, but when pressed about it she failed to say anything that wouldn't apply to any other person in Ramsay position.

It's not generic, her advice is honestly perfectly fine for me, Jon is being overconfident and she's telling him Ramsay is going to outsmart him, and that's exactly what happened.

Jarmel

Banned
Jon with the shield maneuver was ridiculously badass.

Stature-wise he has to be insanely well known now. I mean good god, the feats he did this episode would make him into a legend alone.

dani_dc

Yara and Theon left the Iron Islands the same episode Dany left Vaes Dothrak. Do you think it only took a few days for Dany to travel ~1,000 miles to Meereen?

I'm not arguing that Danny travelled 1,000 miles over a few days, I'm explaining why people might find it jarring when you have different storylines in the same episodes going at different speeds, particularly so when they connect.

It's not generic, her advice is honestly perfectly fine for me, Jon is being overconfident and she's telling him Ramsay is going to outsmart him, and that's exactly what happened.
But that's pretty generic advice, telling someone "he's going to outsmart you" means nothing if you don't offer advice on how to avoid that.

Letting Jon know of Ramsay sadistic tactics to control people would had been far more useful and specific.

Events are edited for dramatic effect. Several weeks often pass in the course of a single episode.

Seriously. I still find it weird how some people seem to think they're watching an episode of 24 when it comes to this show.

Well, it's just sloppy. This is just screenwriting 101. Establish a sense of narrative time and space, especially with multiple characters.

The bind D&D finds themselves in is having storylines where passage of time does matter (Jon and Sansa) and doesn't matter (Mereen, apparently?). This isn't the first time either, right? How many plot threads rely on "just in time" or "you just missed it" as a part of their inherent drama?

It's confusing and breaks against a sense of consistency in the world and in the storytelling.

Jarmel

Banned
Guys the writing has been shit for awhile. It's not like this was some super drop in writing quality.

Just try and enjoy the spectacle when we get it.

Good episode, only problem I have is Sansa not telling Jon at all about LF possibly coming to the battle. Have Jon do w/e with that information, but she still should've told him.

Also, where Ghost :/.

Scene with Dany/Yara was good. Dragons were nice. Actually everything in Mereen was good.

Tuck

Well, it's just sloppy. This is just screenwriting 101. Establish a sense of narrative time and space, especially with multiple characters.

The bind D&D finds themselves in is having storylines where passage of time does matter (Jon and Sansa) and doesn't matter (Mereen, apparently?). This isn't the first time either, right? How many plot threads rely on "just in time" or "you just missed it" as a part of their inherent drama?

It's confusing and breaks against a sense of consistency in the world and in the storytelling.

I agree.

The past few seasons have made Westeros (And Essos) feel small. Characters move across the map like they have teleportation capabilities.

Zabka

I'm not arguing that Danny travelled 1,000 miles over a few days, I'm explaining why people might find it jarring when you have different storylines in the same episodes going at different speeds, particularly so when they connect.
ETA: I see what you mean now but there's no indication that there was a great difference in time between the victory in Meereen and the arrival of the Greyjoy fleet. I think it's a trivial thing to get hung up on.

Shahadan

They barely bothered with time shit since season 1 anyway, which is the only thing to do if you want storylines to move at the same time.
There are too many of them and they have to be brought together according to an episode's theme.

The alternative would be boring as fuck and you'd have people disappear for a whole season like in the books. (yeah I know they did it with bran anyway)

Elandyll

Banned
Sansa wrote to Littlefinger, but we don't know that she got a reply before he showed up. I assumed she didn't tell Jon about the Vale army because she didn't know they were actually coming for sure.
Not knowing -if- reinforcements are coming would never -ever- be good enough a reason not to tell someone they -could- be coming, and just have to wait 24-48h.

The writters even gave Sansa the perfect opening to tell Jon, when she asks him to wait and he asks back "WHAT FOR?" (Paraphrasing)

Tuck

They barely bothered with time shit since season 1 anyway, which is the only thing to do if you want storylines to move at the same time.
There are too many of them and they have to be brought together according to an episode's theme.

The alternative would be boring as fuck and you'd have people disappear for a whole season like in the books. (yeah I know they did it with bran anyway)

Personally, I like when characters disappear for long stretches of time, only to reapear later. Makes the world feel bigger, and the story grander.

In the books, at least, since each chapter is told from a certain perspective, that makes sense. Less so in the show (Plus you have the constraint of having to work with human actors).

Also, the journey does matter. Making characters pop into the correct place on the chess board makes it feel like we're watching the cliff notes of the actual story. There needs to be adequate build up to payoff.

dabig2

Lots of gaffers going full Ned Stark on this Sansa stuff.

Saying that Sansa should have told Jon about Littlefinger coming and used that extra information to save lives is stupid. If the game of thrones has one rule it's don't trust Peter Beilish Littlefinger could have just as easily joined the fight on team Bolton or not shown up at all. Planning a battle Stratergy that relies on Littlefinger to be reliable and predictable is incredibly stupid.

Once again - she knows other people in the Vale, ones who hold even more power and authority over a guy who just recently married into the family and who she knows is already on icy ground with them all. She could have gone over his head if she wanted to and secured the army herself with little effort, but chose to completely ignore it until it was literally zero hour and there were no other options. There was nothing correct on how she played the game, and in the end she only got completely lucky from the dire circumstances she herself created in the first place.

No sane person should be giving her props. Even the show isn't that stupid to whitewash her role like that as the previews seem to suggest. She fucked up.

Tuck

Once again - she knows other people in the Vale, ones who hold even more power and authority over a guy who just recently married into the family and who she knows is already on icy ground with them all. She could have gone over his head if she wanted to and secured the army herself with little effort, but chose to completely ignore it until it was literally zero hour and there were no other options. There was nothing correct on how she played the game, and in the end she only got completely lucky from the dire circumstances she herself created in the first place.

No sane person should be giving her props. Even the show isn't that stupid to whitewash her role like that as the previews seem to suggest. She fucked up.
Eh?

Baelish controls the little lord of the Vayl. The other lords bend their wills to his. We already saw that earlier this season.

Guys the writing has been shit for awhile. It's not like this was some super drop in writing quality.

Just try and enjoy the spectacle when we get it.

Well we are in agreement, at one point this show was more than that, but spectacle is all it has to offer now.

Jayof9s

So last week some people objected when I said this show is basically appealing to the Transformer audience.

But is there any doubt after this episode? Sure, it was a decently shot and staged battle/action scene, but is there anything to the show beyond that?

The characters' actions defied all logic, the dead bodies piling up on itself in the middle of an open field defied the laws of physic, the outcome was never in doubt despite hamfisted attempts to get the audience to think otherwise.

And let's not even mention that the site where Stannis was camped and Shireen was burnt is now confirmed to be right next to Winterfell, so why did Stannis have to burn her again?

I completely agree with you. It was a beautifully shot battle and there were some amazing scenes in it but I was constantly taken out of the action by the jarringly insane things happening. Like that wall of corpses. Wun wun being ineffective until they needed him to be effective for plot reasons.

Hell, I completely missed the connotations that Stannis was apparently a 20 minute hike from Winterfell when he sacrificed his daughter (I was more focused on how unlikely it was for a wood carving to survive a pyre and trying to remember if she had dropped it). The 20 good men thing actually makes more sense with that revelation because they were literally in Ramsay's backyard.

Moff

I could watch this the whole day
gWYFN9M.gif

mantidor

Letting Jon know of Ramsay sadistic tactics to control people would had been far more useful and specific.

But this exactly what she said! you should probably rewatch the scene, they weren't going into the details of what he did to her and Theon because that would have been really dumb exposition, but she specifically says Ramsay plays games to make people suffer.

I feel we are going to just agree to disagree.

Gigglepoo

I'm kind of stunned that people are defending Sansa feeding Ramsay to dogs as somehow just or righteous. It's pure villainy. Yes, Ramsay was terrible to her, but that doesn't excuse torture or mutilation. There is nothing that justifies that kind of behavior. It's like we want our "heroes" to be entirely good so we twist events to fit into whatever narrative we constructed. But that's disingenuous. Sansa committed a war atrocity. Whether or not that informs her character going forward is anyone's guess, but for that moment, she was every bit as vile as the man she was ravaging.

I could watch this the whole day
gWYFN9M.gif
Last episode I had people invading
Ships and ships as far as they can see
"time to surrender daenerys" they threatened
What do I look like, not a crazy motherfucker
I dragon'd them all dooooown
What you think I'm not ruthless?
Im an adult!
Welcome to the real world jackass

Speevy

Banned
Miguel Sapochnik to remake Braveheart, Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, The Thin Red Line, The Patriot, The Last Samurai, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, The Deer Hunter, adding dragons and giants to each one.

Wun Wun should have been wearing armor. Would have torn through everybody.

I can understand the Night's Watch not giving armor or making it for him. And as literally NOBODY had armor I can see why they didn't just magically have some. With that said...

He literally could have pulled up a tree and just used that would have been more effective then just his hands.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm kind of stunned that people are defending Sansa feeding Ramsay to dogs as somehow just or righteous. It's pure villainy. Yes, Ramsay was terrible to her, but that doesn't excuse torture or mutilation. There is nothing that justifies that kind of behavior. It's like we want our "heroes" to be entirely good so we twist events to fit into whatever narrative we constructed. But that's disingenuous. Sansa committed a war atrocity. Whether or not that informs her character going forward is anyone's guess, but for that moment, she was every bit as vile as the man she was ravaging.

Even ignoring what he did to Sansa, Ramsay's war crime list is so fucking long that It would span multiple pages.

Maybe if he had fed his dogs properly, they wouldn't have eaten him.

Lothar

Banned

And I thought she killed him too quickly.

She should have cut off a few fingers and had a giant rape him.

dabig2

Eh?

Baelish controls the little lord of the Vayl. The other lords bend their wills to his. We already saw that earlier this season.

Baelish squirmed his way out of trouble at the beginning because Royce had no proof. With Sansa's word and correspondence, that whole balance of power and control shifts. If the show was actually interested in having Sansa be a "boss ass bitch" who is playing the game, this would have been a great way of showing it. Instead they wanted to redeem LF and admitted as such before the season began. Unfortunately, this happens at the expense of Sansa's character.

I mean, we all knew that would happen.

When I saw the promo images and he wasn't carrying any weapon, I thought maybe he loses his weapon halfway through the fight...but, deep in my soul, I knew it wasn't true.

That was probably one of the absolute best war scenes shot on TV or film--seriously, amazing stuff--but some of the tactics/strategies left a lot to be desired. Not even armchair general stuff, just common sense things.

If I was any good with Photoshop I'd make a couple dog food advertisements/bags for "Hound Chow" one being chicken flavored with Sandor on it and the other Ramsay flavored with his hounds.

I wonder how much the female rulers angle is going to be a theme in the next season(s). We already have Dany and Yara teaming up, and Varys is presumably going to Dorne to ask Xena and her friends for help. That's three 'Queens' on her side, and Sansa ruling in the North. Then we have Margaery, who is a consort Queen but could become a ruler in her own right if Loras does die, as he is the only male heir to the Reach.

That would leave in male hands only the Vale, the Westerlands and the Riverlands, and Sansa has a legitimate claim to overlordship of the latter. I'm not sure who's the nominal leader of the Westerlands right now, but if we go by the books it's Cersei who succeeds her father. If Littlefinger does take over the Vale, and submits to (his wife?) Sansa, that would mean that every single realm in the Seven Kingdoms would be ruled by a woman.

mantidor

No one is saying is "pure righteousness", you are the one saying it's pure villainy, which is just as simplistic to be honest.

The series started with our "good guy" main character executing a clearly innocent man, it's a very violent and unfair world. If anything Ramsay got off good.

Lothar

Banned
I'm so glad the series finally gave us a satisfying villain death. When GRRM writes it, Ramsay will probably be killed in his sleep with a pillow by Lady Dustin or something.

Moff

there's already a gif for the battle's big scene so I made one for my other favourite scene, love that horse action
LNeIQQx.gif

Jayof9s

Hell, he didn't even need to charge the shield wall and spears though. He just needed to start scooping bodies off the corpse wall and throw them. The amount of inertia from ~200+ lbs of corpse and armor would have been more than sufficient to knock down a few shield holders and start opening holes.

Gigglepoo

No one is saying is "pure righteousness", you are the one saying it's pure villainy, which is just as simplistic to be honest.

The series started with our "good guy" main character executing a clearly innocent man, it's a very violent and unfair world. If anything Ramsay got off good.

Her action was villainy although, as I said, I don't know if her character will go down that route. And Ned executed a deserter by swiftly cutting off his head. There's a very big difference between that and mutilating someone. By comparison, look at how Jon handled the man who defied him (beheading) or the men who assassinated him (hanging). That's how justice is handled in Westeros.

Timbuktu

I wonder how much the female rulers angle is going to be a theme in the next season(s). We already have Dany and Yara teaming up, and Varys is presumably going to Dorne to ask Xena and her friends for help. That's three 'Queens' on her side, and Sansa ruling in the North. Then we have Margaery, who is a consort Queen but could become a ruler in her own right if Loras does die, as he is the only male heir to the Reach.

That would leave in male hands only the Vale, the Westerlands and the Riverlands, and Sansa has a legitimate claim to overlordship of the latter. I'm not sure who's the nominal leader of the Westerlands right now, but if we go by the books it's Cersei who succeeds her father. If Littlefinger does take over the Vale, and submits to (his wife?) Sansa, that would mean that every single realm in the Seven Kingdoms would be ruled by a woman.

That would be a bit on the nose. I kinda prefer the theme of everything's fucked no matter who wins in these petty squabbles.

Hell, he didn't even need to charge the shield wall and spears though. He just needed to start scooping bodies off the corpse wall and throw them. The amount of inertia from ~200+ lbs of corpse and armor would have been more than sufficient to knock down a few shield holders and start opening holes.

Giants aren't too bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom