• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
Also, how did Littlefinger get a huge cavalry army through the Neck? Did they fly over one by one on his jet pack? Or did the Boltons not think it was worth defending Moat Cailin when they were in open rebellion with the south?

Come to it, how did he sneak that army through the riverlands? There's a huge Lannister army near by as well. Jesus.

Ramsay absolutely did not think Cailin was worth defending; Roose chastised him for making that decision. And Greywater isn't a thing in the show, apparently. Getting through the Twins is a bit of a question mark, Frey should have at least known about it. But then Frey would think Littlefinger, Lord of Harrenhal and ally of Lannister was his own ally as well; he might've just let The Vale army pass on Littlefinger's lie that they were going to reinforce Bolton.

The Hermit

Guys, let's give credit to Sapochnik and stop weighing so heavily on D and D's hack writing.

That was awesome, and television has NEVER had a battle like that.

That was approaching Braveheart/Gladiator battle status.

I felt like I was watching a movie IN the theater.

It was that crazy

Gigglepoo

I'm not saying they are comparable in viciousness, they are comparable in that what we deem morally wrong is not morally wrong for these characters. For our modern world all these guys and gals are pretty reprehensible, maybe only Brienne is a "good" one, maybe.

And again I don't think the point was to torture Ramsay, he would have enjoyed that, didn't he said something along the lines "I am part of you" to Sansa or something like that? the idea was that his most loyal "soldiers" would turn on him, Sansa didn't lift a finger, and I feel it fits the character.

I'm not judging her actions through our modern lens. I'm using examples from the show to point out that Sansa's actions crossed a line.

Joni

If only Ned Stark had taught his son the 4 D's of Dodgearrow. Seriously, he didn't think about maybe weaving a bit?

Also, how did Littlefinger get a huge cavalry army through the Neck? Did they fly over one by one on his jet pack? Or did the Boltons not think it was worth defending Moat Cailin when they were in open rebellion with the south?

Come to it, how did he sneak that army through the riverlands? There's a huge Lannister army near by as well. Jesus.

The battle scenes were cool though.
Isn't the frey army stuck at the tully Castle?

I don't know but Littlefinger said his army was camped there when he met Sansa earlier. So who knows how they actually got through there.

Brakke

Banned
Isn't the frey army stuck at the tully Castle?

Supposedly, it's only possible to move a host as large as an army from South to North by crossing the bridge at the Twins. Even if Frey didn't have an army to oppose LF, he could've just barred the gate and delayed or prevented LF's passage.

But of course he would just let LF pass unmolested. Why wouldn't he?

Rewatched the episode; still as enjoyable.

I said it in my initial reaction post, but I'll say it again; this is Jon's resurrection episode.

I don't get why people are being so hard on him; the war council came up with a solid plan, and Jon made two mistakes; failing to take Sansa's advice seriously, and caring for his brother. Ramsey may have played that particular card well, but what is Jon to do? He's see his little brother running for his life, Ramsey's intentions clear. Is he to do nothing, to sit and watch? It's not being noble, it's not being naive; it's being emotional and reactionary to his brother's life being threatened. Jon, the stalwart of right, irrespective of code or honor (Ygritte, meeting with Mance, allowing the Wildlings passage - all examples of Jon defying convention for what feels right), chases to SAVE his brother. Whether it was bait by Ramsey is irrelevant, because Jon chooses to try.

Tormund highlights this, in pleasing under his breath for Jon not to take the bait fully. Jon's emotions take over, and he makes mistake number two. Both are forgivable; his combat prowess outshines Sansa's, and the heat of the moment emotion is also understandable. There's a rawness to him that speaks to us on a level that other characters don't; not many of us are are scheming as Littlefinger, as cruel as Joffrey or Ramsey, or as vicious as the Mountain. Jon makes mistakes, he falls in love with who he wants to, he defies tradition and he acts impulsively. Much like our own lives, he also falls victims to his mistakes and choices, and whilst a lot of the themes and characters in ASOIAF are balanced, morally grey and multi-faceted, Jon is one of the more human characters, who rises from the depths of obscurity to levels he's not totally comfortable with.

The battle takes an interesting turn for Jon, IMO, when he falls from his horse. This is when the contractions start in his rebirth. Watch the scene again; just before he removes his scabbard, he gives a nod, a nod of acceptance IMO. He's accepting his fate, and plans to go down in a blaze of glory. This is rock bottom for him.

Once his death is averted by his own cavalry charging in, instinct takes over, and he fights on. It's brutal, and raw, and full of anger and self-preservation. There's no flair or showmanship. It's abundantly clear he's a very capable swordsman too, much like Ramsey tells him, if the stories are true. One of the best living swordsman in Westeros, maybe?

Anyway, Jon's revival as a character takes a further turn when he's pushed over, and is being trampled on. Credit to the show, because this sequence is terrifying, claustrophobic, and extremely tense. I may be reading too much in to it (and I'm preparing for the quoting of that in relation to the whole post), but I think I hear Jon give a muffled "no" in amongst the shouting and panting. To juxtapose his acceptance of death earlier facing the cavalry charge, he's refusing to die, and choosing to fight on. His gasp of fresh (ish) air as he scurries above the crush of bodies is extremely symbolic; Jon is now reborn into the man he's going to be.

It's telling, that when Tormund saves his ass early in the fight, that he almost has to reassure Jon, giving him a look to snap him out of the red mist that's descended. Come the beating of Ramsey, Jon looks at Sansa and has the humanity to stop and walk away, knowing that Ramsey's life isn't necessarily his to take. It says a lot about him IMO.

There's a lot of subtleties that are depicted, and that's not down to the writers before someone says I'm giving D&D too much credit. That's very much in the direction, and maybe it'll be swept under the rug and Jon will carry on questioning why he's here, but I'd love to hope that we will look back on that battle as the turning point for Jon Snow.

Also, can I just say, that pretty much every second of Dany's scenes were on point. The Dragons looked awesome, riding Drogon actually looked good, the shots of the three dragons dying above Mereen were brilliant and the interaction between Dany, Tyrion, Yara and Theon were some of Dany's best, IMO. We get one of the best episodes of the season, if not one of the best ever, and still people rip it apart. To each his own I guess, but it seems a shame not to enjoy an episode like that.
Great post mate, everything you wrote was sound and I thoroughly agree with it all. fantastic episode and super glad the same director is doing the finale also.

Rewatched the episode; still as enjoyable.

I said it in my initial reaction post, but I'll say it again; this is Jon's resurrection episode.

I don't get why people are being so hard on him; the war council came up with a solid plan, and Jon made two mistakes; failing to take Sansa's advice seriously, and caring for his brother. Ramsey may have played that particular card well, but what is Jon to do? He's see his little brother running for his life, Ramsey's intentions clear. Is he to do nothing, to sit and watch? It's not being noble, it's not being naive; it's being emotional and reactionary to his brother's life being threatened. Jon, the stalwart of right, irrespective of code or honor (Ygritte, meeting with Mance, allowing the Wildlings passage - all examples of Jon defying convention for what feels right), chases to SAVE his brother. Whether it was bait by Ramsey is irrelevant, because Jon chooses to try.

Tormund highlights this, in pleasing under his breath for Jon not to take the bait fully. Jon's emotions take over, and he makes mistake number two. Both are forgivable; his combat prowess outshines Sansa's, and the heat of the moment emotion is also understandable. There's a rawness to him that speaks to us on a level that other characters don't; not many of us are are scheming as Littlefinger, as cruel as Joffrey or Ramsey, or as vicious as the Mountain. Jon makes mistakes, he falls in love with who he wants to, he defies tradition and he acts impulsively. Much like our own lives, he also falls victims to his mistakes and choices, and whilst a lot of the themes and characters in ASOIAF are balanced, morally grey and multi-faceted, Jon is one of the more human characters, who rises from the depths of obscurity to levels he's not totally comfortable with.

The battle takes an interesting turn for Jon, IMO, when he falls from his horse. This is when the contractions start in his rebirth. Watch the scene again; just before he removes his scabbard, he gives a nod, a nod of acceptance IMO. He's accepting his fate, and plans to go down in a blaze of glory. This is rock bottom for him.

Once his death is averted by his own cavalry charging in, instinct takes over, and he fights on. It's brutal, and raw, and full of anger and self-preservation. There's no flair or showmanship. It's abundantly clear he's a very capable swordsman too, much like Ramsey tells him, if the stories are true. One of the best living swordsman in Westeros, maybe?

Anyway, Jon's revival as a character takes a further turn when he's pushed over, and is being trampled on. Credit to the show, because this sequence is terrifying, claustrophobic, and extremely tense. I may be reading too much in to it (and I'm preparing for the quoting of that in relation to the whole post), but I think I hear Jon give a muffled "no" in amongst the shouting and panting. To juxtapose his acceptance of death earlier facing the cavalry charge, he's refusing to die, and choosing to fight on. His gasp of fresh (ish) air as he scurries above the crush of bodies is extremely symbolic; Jon is now reborn into the man he's going to be.

It's telling, that when Tormund saves his ass early in the fight, that he almost has to reassure Jon, giving him a look to snap him out of the red mist that's descended. Come the beating of Ramsey, Jon looks at Sansa and has the humanity to stop and walk away, knowing that Ramsey's life isn't necessarily his to take. It says a lot about him IMO.

There's a lot of subtleties that are depicted, and that's not down to the writers before someone says I'm giving D&D too much credit. That's very much in the direction, and maybe it'll be swept under the rug and Jon will carry on questioning why he's here, but I'd love to hope that we will look back on that battle as the turning point for Jon Snow.

Also, can I just say, that pretty much every second of Dany's scenes were on point. The Dragons looked awesome, riding Drogon actually looked good, the shots of the three dragons dying above Mereen were brilliant and the interaction between Dany, Tyrion, Yara and Theon were some of Dany's best, IMO. We get one of the best episodes of the season, if not one of the best ever, and still people rip it apart. To each his own I guess, but it seems a shame not to enjoy an episode like that.

This is excellent thank you for sharing

Supposedly, it's only possible to move a host as large as an army from South to North by crossing the bridge at the Twins. Even if Frey didn't have an army to oppose LF, he could've just barred the gate and delayed or prevented LF's passage.

But of course he would just let LF pass unmolested. Why wouldn't he?
It would be a surprising twist if during next episode it is revealed that Littlefinger killed Walder Frey after he let them pass. We know that he loved Catelyn. I know he would only do that if it wouldn't ruin his plans, but who knows.

Brakke

Banned
It would be a surprising twist if during next episode it is revealed that Littlefinger killed Walder Frey after he let them pass. We know that he loved Catelyn. I know he would only do that if it wouldn't ruin his plans, but who knows.

Frey is talking to Jaime
in the preview.

Actually that's a really interesting point that I had not thought of yet. LF is always portrayed as logic above emotion b/c well, we don't see enough of him to have emotion but I wonder what his feelings are to the Frey's. I would have to imagine wanting them dispatched without angering the Lannisters?

Gigglepoo

Frey is talking to Jaime
in the preview.

I thought I saw that. I wonder why
Jamie didn't run back to Cercei right away. If he's in Riverrun, that goes against the theory that he's going to kill Cercei before she can unleash the wildfire.

Jarmel

Banned
That comment about Ramsay was interesting. I didn't really consider Jon as one of the best swordsmen in Westeros in either the show or book but with so many top tier swordsmen dead now, he actually might be.

He also fought super well in the battle itself, so I can definitely believe it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
8oEx6ID.png
I just like the juxtaposition of these 2 shots.

dabig2

Tbh that's the main thing that annoyed me. They knew they'd face a large amount of archers. That and Wun Wun not using kicks to fuck the Phalanx over, instead punching lances and shields.

Just using basic wooden shields if they didn't have access to good old steel ones.
Heck, give wun wun a giant wooden shield with spikes and let him lead the charge.

If we over think too much about it though it'll be all too clear that the battle was written to be spectacular, not necessarily making the most sense.

Oops. Too late. :/

I was a little disappointed with Wun Wun. Was hoping for more of this:
73705ea7a587470ec70e2ce233a99476.gif

Look at how effortlessly he swings that thing. Bolton calvary and infantry would've been shredded from 10 yards away. Or, as someone else said earlier, just have him throwing bodies around. They would be like mini boulders with all their padded armor and clothing.

KodaRuss

That was a hell of an episode. Probably the best large battles ever on TV. Kinda surprised all the big players survived on the Stark side. Tormund, Jon, Sansa and Davos all lived. I thought Tormund was toast.

cebri.one

Amazing episode. We all knew rickon was going to die, ramsay knew he couldnt let him leave. I'd say he, with Robb Stark, were the best strategist of the series. Even Tyrion is not that smart IMO.

I'm so thrilled thinking of what's going to happen next. How the lannister will deal with the fanatics? How will they react when they discover a massive army of dead people is going south? Will they ally with the stark? The series are coming to an end and there are not that many episodes left. Events will unfold pretty quickly i'd say.

Cromwell

Banned
I was a little disappointed with Wun Wun. Was hoping for more of this:
73705ea7a587470ec70e2ce233a99476.gif

Look at how effortlessly he swings that thing. Bolton calvary and infantry would've been shredded from 10 yards away. Or, as someone else said earlier, just have him throwing bodies around. They would be like mini boulders with all their padded armor and clothing.

Exactly. Shit was contrived just so he died.

Brakke

Banned
How do you figure Wun-wun waving around a tree trunk helps him survive getting lit the fuck up with three dozen arrows? Dude was a pincushion.

Gigglepoo

Weirdly, the Rickon scene was the only time I "liked" Ramsay. Normally, he's sadistic just to be sadistic, but this was a real plan he enacted to draw his enemy into the open. After years of us complaining that the show handed him unearned victories, we finally saw that he had some cunning beneath his brutality. Plus, his cockiness made the scene all the more painful to watch. We knew he would eventually land a hit but I was still rooting for Jon to somehow save his brother.

I really loved Iwan Rheon's performance in this episode, even his nod toward Silence of the Lambs when he was tied up.

dabig2

How do you figure Wun-wun waving around a tree trunk helps him survive getting lit the fuck up with three dozen arrows? Dude was a pincushion.

Oh no, he would have gotten lit up still. But that shield wall would have been useless when they formed up, encircled, and started crushing them. Wun wun is his own battering ram.

Henkka

Banned
What did Yara and Theon get out of their deal with Dany? Presumably Dany will help them kill Euron. But in exchange, they'll give up their ships, their independence and way of life. They say Euron took the throne from Yara, but in reality she just lost what is the closest thing to a democratic election in Westeros. Who's she to make the call that the Ironborn should change their entire way of life to appease some dragon queen? Should've just sold some ships and bought a faceless man to kill Euron, apparently even actors can afford them!

/annoying nitpicks

And he's a villain. People who commit war crimes are villains.

This is a world where people get their heads chopped off for lying, fingers chopped off for smuggling, and duels are a perfectly acceptable way to determine if someone is guilty or innocent. In this world Sansa is not a war criminal.

Qurupeke

This episode was cathartic. I can't believe that Bolton is finally dead, and we had two scenes of him getting wrecked.

The episode might be one of the most unsettling ones. The direction did an amazing job on making the battle gruesome and I loved that most of it was on Jon's point of view. Hell, the opening scene was thrilling with the clash of the horses. I think I might liked this even more than Hardhome or Blackwater. Also, I can't believe that Tormund survived. I thought all these joke scenes with him at the start were deathflags, and his beating didn't help. Oh, and Littlefinger's smug face made my day.

The Khaleesi-Yara scene has to be one of the most cheesy scenes though. The wink game was unreal.

Jarmel

Banned
So at the very least, what other TV battles are close to this level? Seems like this is definitely the new high bar on that front.

Then we need to rank it in movie battles.

takriel

This still sits at a 10 on IMDb, holy shit. For me, it was a solid 9th episode, but not the best of the entire show. I have a feeling that I will enjoy the finale more.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Oh no, he would have gotten lit up still. But that shield wall would have been useless when they formed up, encircled, and started crushing them. Wun wun is his own battering ram.

If Wun Wun just fell on them, it would've broken the phalanx. D&D did him dirty.

What did Yara and Theon get out of their deal with Dany? Presumably Dany will help them kill Euron. But in exchange, they'll give up their ships, their independence and way of life. They say Euron took the throne from Yara, but in reality she just lost what is the closest thing to a democratic election in Westeros. Who's she to make the call that the Ironborn should change their entire way of life to appease some dragon queen? Should've just sold some ships and bought a faceless man to kill Euron, apparently even actors can afford them!

/annoying nitpicks

A poor actress hiring a faceless man to kill probably a just well off actress wouldn't cost that much. A nobody wants a nobody dead.

The daughter of the former ruler of the Iron Islands wanting to kill the currently ruler of the Iron islands would cost $$$$$. Someone with wealth and power wants someone with wealth and power dead.

Kain

Am I the only one that imagined Ramsay as a dirty disgusting Hanzo firing against a Reinhardt and then getting clubed to the head? Fuck Hanzay.

I play too much OW

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, people are being a bit too hard on Jon's decision to run after Rickon. He was just brought back from the dead, hasn't really given much of a fuck since, would rather have stayed dead, and thinks this is a hopeless battle that he can't win. Risking a life he doesn't care about (his own) to save one he does seemed like a pretty logical decision.

StormKing

Yeah, people are being a bit too hard on Jon's decision to run after Rickon. He was just brought back from the dead, hasn't really given much of a fuck since, would rather have stayed dead, and thinks this is a hopeless battle that he can't win. Risking a life he doesn't care about (his own) to save one he does seemed like a pretty logical decision.

Running after Rickon was fine and made sense character wise. The issue was Jon charging straight at the Bolton army by himself after Rickon died. Why not try to take Rickon's body back to his army instead?

RedStep

Do you think it's possible for a good character to go overboard in punishing an evil character?

Of course. She could tie him to a chair and push bamboo under his fingernails for a few weeks, or feed the dogs one part at a time to draw it out. His death was pretty quick and easy by Westerosi standards - he was gone in a few seconds. Again, not nice but nowhere near what he did or why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom