• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
The Riverlands and The Iron Islands were ruled by one king at the time of Aegon's landing. Aegon conquered six kingdoms (all but Dorne), at which time *they stopped being kingdoms because their Kings were no more*. Before The Conquest, the Iron Islands had a long history of independence; they just happened to be ruled by The Riverlands King at the time Aegon showed up.

"Seven Kingdoms" is a name that reflects the political reality of Westeros at the time of Aegon's conquest, but it isn't really relevant "today", as Westeros has only one King (excepting times of rebellion, obviously) and it isn't organized into seven municipalities anyway.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
The Riverlands and The Iron Islands were ruled by one king at the time of Aegon's landing. Aegon conquered six kingdoms (all but Dorne), at which time *they stopped being kingdoms because their Kings were no more*. Before The Conquest, the Iron Islands had a long history of independence; they just happened to be ruled by The Riverlands King at the time Aegon showed up.

"Seven Kingdoms" is a name that reflects the political reality of Westeros at the time of Aegon's conquest, but it isn't really relevant "today", as Westeros has only one King (excepting times of rebellion, obviously) and it isn't organized into seven municipalities anyway.

i think it's the other way around, the iron islands conquered the riverlands. don't think the riverlands were even independent.

Arkeband

Banned
I asked this before but didn't get an answer: Is there anything a heroic character can do to a villainous character that would be seen as excessively violent or cruel?

Sorry, didn't see this before I made the above post. I'm glad that there is a line heroic characters could cross in your mind. That settles this debate!

I mean, when we unseated Gaddafi in Libya, we basically set him loose into a sea of people who hate him, who did unspeakable acts to him until he died, and yet we're going to elect someone to President who facilitated that and then remarked "We came, we saw, he died!" and then burst into a fit of laughter.

Fiction isn't so far from reality. When human beings have determined someone deserves pain, we find ways to excuse it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
x2otEoF.png

Anyone think we'll ever see anything from the Iron Bank again? Or will that story line in all its forms be dropped.

The Iron Bank would be one of the few that could afford the services of the FM to off Tommen, for the crowns refusal to repay their debts. I doubt it will happen, or that it's all that interesting, but that's one way they could show up I guess. They'll probably just drop it.

Gigglepoo

I mean, when we unseated Gaddafi in Libya, we basically set him loose into a sea of people who hate him, who did unspeakable acts to him until he died, and yet we're going to elect someone to President who facilitated that and then remarked "We came, we saw, he died!" and then burst into a fit of laughter.

Fiction isn't so far from reality. When human beings have determined someone deserves pain, we find ways to excuse it.

"Good guys" in reality do terrible things as well. And we (hopefully) acknowledge those terrible things and don't ignore them because a "good guy" did them.

Brakke

Banned
As far as I can tell he just flayed some randos to be intimidating. Unless they're going to explain who they were next episode.

They weren't just intimidation, they were range markers for the archers. Helps the ranks zero their shots. Closest X puts your bow at 15 degrees, farthest puts you at 45 degrees, etc.

Iksenpets

Banned
They weren't just intimidation, they were range markers for the archers. Helps the ranks zero their shots. Closest X puts your bow at 15 degrees, farthest puts you at 45 degrees, etc.

Didn't even think of that! That's pretty cool, actually, ignoring the burning corpses.

Brakke

Banned
I thought they paid off Osha's death in a tiny way, having Jon straddling Ramsay at the end all I could think was "oh shit Jon you're about to get stabbed just like Osha got when she was straddling Ramsay".

I would prefer Osha alive to that one tiny moment of panic, but whaddya going to do?

Aurongel

I assumed the flayed men were Stannis'. Kind of a way of saying "look where his battle got him" kinda thing meant to demoralize Jon's forces.

Litan

I wonder if we'll see Ghost next episode.
Jon must have told him, " stay, boy. We dont have enough money in the CGI budget for you."

Remember earlier this season when he first showed up and some folks dared to dream that handing over Rickon was some elaborate NC ploy? Seems like a lifetime ago lol.

I was one of them. :'(

Northern Conspiracy was playing Bolton the whole time and saves Jon's ass > what we got. "The North Remembers" could have been a battle cry and would have been something more in the show, where it's just a few cool words someone said once.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Northern Conspiracy was playing Bolton the whole time and saves Jon's ass > what we got. "The North Remembers" could have been a battle cry and would have been something more in the show, where it's just a few cool words someone said once.

Yeah. For as good as last night's episode was, that the North didn't rally to Jon and Sansa was disappointing. To say nothing of the Umbers and such still standing by Ramsay as he ordered his men to shoot arrows into the army, his own men included.

Yeah, I think they wrote themselves into a corner where they couldn't do that because they still needed a way for Littlefinger to end up with the upper hand and general control of the Vale and the North (which is likely where the books are going but via a very different route). Having Sansa with Jon instead of with Littlefinger likely made that impossible to accomplish unless it was Littlefinger instead of Northerners who saved the day.

Henkka

Banned
Isn't that Jamie stabbing Aerys? We saw that in Episode 6's "Burn them all!" montage.

That shot is not in Bran's vision montage, at least. You see Jaime stabbing the Mad king, but it's not a shadow on the wall.

I'm predicting the stabber might be Cersei. It kind of looks like a woman stabbing a bearded man in robes, so Pycelle?

Gigglepoo

That shot is not in Bran's vision montage, at least. You see Jaime stabbing the Mad king, but it's not a shadow on the wall.

I'm predicting the stabber might be Cersei. It kind of looks like a woman stabbing a bearded man in robes, so Pycelle?

Ah, you're totally right. We also haven't seen Littlefinger bumbling through the forest yet. I wonder what that's about. Otherwise, the trailer laid out the foundation for most of what happened this season. It doesn't hint at Jon's resurrection (which we knew was coming), Hodor's sacrifice, or Sam's great sword heist but most everything else important is there.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
8oEx6ID.png

I just like the juxtaposition of these 2 shots.
That's a pretty good shot. Really sums up the comparisons and differences between Dany and Jon in the show. Even shows how different their rises to the top were.

The show really pushed the comparisons between the two this last episode. Even their band of misfits are similar now:

Savior: Dany/Jon
Hand: Tyrion/Davos
Woman: Missandie/Sansa
Sneaky guy: Varys/Littlefinger
Red woman: Mel/whoever that other one is
Swordsman out on a quest: Jorah/Brienne
Guy all the ladies love: Daario/Pod the Rod
Group the Savior.. saved: Unsullied/Wildlings
Guy who leads them: Grey Worm/Tormund
Group that saved them this episode: Dothraki/Vale
Group they recruited: Greyjoys/The North (probably)
Magic: Dragons/Greenseer Bran

I'm guessing Dany/Varys will recruit Dorne as the actual parallel to Jon now having the North so perhaps next season Jon will recruit someone else to parallel the Greyjoys/Second Sons. Maybe the BwB?

Iksenpets

Banned
Was he poorly received?

His reception was lukewarm. I doubt it was bad enough to get him the full Dorne treatment.

That's a pretty good shot. Really sums up the comparisons and differences between Dany and Jon in the show. Even shows how different their rises to the top were.

The show really pushed the comparisons between the two this last episode. Even their band of misfits are similar now:

I'm guessing Dany/Varys will recruit Dorne as the actual parallel to Jon now having the North so perhaps next season Jon will recruit someone else to parallel the Greyjoys/Second Sons. Maybe the BwB?

They definitely seemed to be setting that up with Beric talking about the threat in the North. And if the Brotherhood ever does take its hard anti-Frey turn, that would only set up more reason for an alliance with Jon.

nowkiss.jpg

Shahadan

I wonder who'll have to manage Dany's mess once she leaves. Is she gonna leave behind missandei and grey worm?

We could have a wedding

nOoblet16

The only thing I kept thinking throughout the battle was how thick Jon's plot armour was, I mean everyone is getting hit randomly left and right but dude doesn't even get hit once with those arrows.
Even Tormund for instance, when everyone else charged into the barricade formation they got killed instantly but Tormund not only managed to get in but also get a kill and get out...although with injuries but that's because he has the side character plot armour.

Running after Rickon was fine and made sense character wise. The issue was Jon charging straight at the Bolton army by himself after Rickon died. Why not try to take Rickon's body back to his army instead?

When I watched it at first I thought it was partly because of how the arrows were landing i.e. from his back towards the front so if he headed back he would've got hit but by falloping towards Ramsey he would atleast evade them....ofcourse it was all nonsense and he just charged straight like an idiot.

Majmun

Who is the next big villain?

Walder Frey? Euron?

I have a feeling that Littlefinger is going to be the biggest villain of them all. He actually kinda is, but now more prominent instead of sneaky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom