• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

KahooTs

I think it's perfectly plausible that he, like everyone else, is unhappy with how Dorne has turned out in the show and wants to communicate that his version will continue to be different.

I don't think it's some damning evidence that he's this passive aggressive, super-bitter old man who hates the show now.

Good, I'm glad then you concede its plausible, because when you first quoted me it seemed to me you were pushing the exact opposite way.

I feel I'm in the minority for really liking ADWD.
Book 4 was awful though, no arguments there.

Come now, there is a world outside of here where people do care about the writing rather proudly declaring they don't. Where ADWD was universally acclaimed and TWOW is the most anticipated fantasy release besides maybe whatever JK is up to.

Kozak

Banned
One I think book ppl take it too far yes . But having said that hbo wants more seasons so why not flesh out the show more why the rush to end the show ? The show does rush thru things at times

I think the main issue is content.

D&D need to write the rest of the show with just an outline. Cant imagine thats easy.

SpaceWolf

Banned
This was pointed out on YouTube, but how can King's Landing get burned to the ground in the next episode, considering Bran previously had a vision of a dragon flying towards a distinctly non-decimated King's Landing in a previous episode?

Real Hero

This was pointed out on YouTube, but how can King's Landing get burned to the ground in the next episode, considering Bran previously had a vision of a dragon flying towards a distinctly non-decimated King's Landing in a previous episode?

Dany could easily get there next episode

I'm tired of people online making the point of hundreds/thousands of men dying because sansa with held information from Jon about the vale. It was obviously done so they could have a cool shot of her on a horse smirking while looking down on the battlefield.

Sometimes men have to die for a cool shot.

Miguel Sapochnik was asked why we didn't see Ghost in Battle of the Bastards:

"[Ghost] was there in spades originally, but it's also an incredibly time consuming and expensive character to bring to life," the episode's director told Business Insider on Monday. "Ultimately we had to choose between Wun-Wun and the direwolf, so the dog bit the dust."

duckroll

"[Ghost] was there in spades originally, but it's also an incredibly time consuming and expensive character to bring to life," the episode's director told Business Insider on Monday. "Ultimately we had to choose between Wun-Wun and the direwolf, so the dog bit the dust."

Someone needs to photoshop a troop selection menu from a SRPG with capacity points showing the player going over the party limit and having to remove Ghost from the party. Lol.

My theory is that Cersei is going to burn something the way she did the Tower of the Hand in the books, most likely the Sept of Baelor, which is going to leave a whole bunch of Wildfire exposed. The dragons will attack and ignite whatever is left over, which will in turn set off the rest of the Wildfire around KL.

They can't really have it all go up without writing KL off completely as a location, otherwise it means it was never really a threat, but I still think they need more time in that place before we can leave it. My guess is that Dany will attack/KL will burn at the end of season 7, not 6.

Kozak

Banned
I'm tired of people online making the point of hundreds/thousands of men dying because sansa with held information from Jon about the vale. It was obviously done so they could have a cool shot of her on a horse smirking while looking down on the battlefield.

Sometimes men have to die for a cool shot.

Yeah it was obvious they wanted their own Gandalf swooping in with the riders of Rohan.

It was awesome.

Henkka

Banned
My theory is that Cersei is going to burn something the way she did the Tower of the Hand in the books, most likely the Sept of Baelor, which is going to leave a whole bunch of Wildfire exposed. The dragons will attack and ignite whatever is left over, which will in turn set off the rest of the Wildfire around KL.

They can't really have it all go up without writing KL off completely as a location, otherwise it means it was never really a threat, but I still think they need more time in that place before we can leave it. My guess is that Dany will attack/KL will burn at the end of season 7, not 6.

This makes sense. Qyburn is an evil dude, but he's not crazy or suicidal. He and Cersei may be looking into setting off the wildfire under the sept, not the entire city and definitely not the Red Keep.

duckroll

I wonder if we'll see storyboards and animatics of the battle before Ghost was removed. Would make for really nice extras on the BDs, but it would also be very painful to see what could have been. If only they had a few million dollars more! :(

YO THAT IS FUCKING UNCALLED FOR MAN.

I'm sorry man. :(

That was a strange episode. The cinematography was excellent, but most of the writing was awful.

Mereen was good and it's great to see Tyrion having some good scenes again.

I still don't understand Jon. Season 5 and Book Jon have all been built up to "Kill the boy", but now he's a complete dumbass.
The rest of the Northern scenes were just re-hashes of old movies mixed with the sort of plot armour that you get in kids' superhero movies.
Ramsay is Edward Longshanks from Braveheart, "but we'll hit our own men!"
Littlefinger and his Riders of Rohan.

None of it felt sufficiently grounded to fit with previous seasons and the victory relies on unbelievable amounts of pure luck. Rickon dies because Ramsay is fucking Hawkeye at 300 yards, Jon survives because he's Captain America and never gets shot (at least Cap has a shield to help him dodge bullets). Littlefinger and Sansa teleport in at the last possible second like Cloak and Dagger. Davos activates his Batman detective mode to find a clue about Shireen hidden in the ashes and snow..
It just felt like generic fantasy superhero dreck. I like silly superhero movies, but it's tonally incompatible with GoT. The reason the show got so popular is precisely because it avoided this silliness.

Lastly, it contained absolutely nothing that was even slightly surprising. Everyone predicted Wun-Wun, Rickon and Ramsay would die. Everyone predicted Littlefinger would save the day. Everyone predicted Jon and Sansa would survive. No one dares to harm Lady Mormont.
I guess the surprise was the lack of surprises? I was extepcting a surprise betrayal of Ramsay by one of his allies, following the theme of "The North Remembers".

I'm expecting much better in the final episode though. We've had the badass action episode, so hopefully we get the grounded political drama one next.
No lies detected

SpaceWolf

Banned
This makes sense. Qyburn is an evil dude, but he's not crazy or suicidal. He and Cersei may be looking into setting off the wildfire under the sept, not the entire city and definitely not the Red Keep.

Knowing Cersei, I could see this backfiring spectacularly though, hence it spreading to the rest of King's Landing and inadvertently killing her son for extra pathos.

hoos30

The directors have said this repeatedly. I'm surprised people keep asking about the wolves.

Daemul

That vision of a dragon flying over Kings Landing is weird because it has popped up in the series before. The last time we saw it was back in season 4 during Brans first encounter with Weirwood and I'm still not sure what to think about it. Is it meant to be a red herring?

daripad

That vision of a dragon flying over Kings Landing is weird because it has popped up in the series before. The last time we saw it was back in season 4 during Brans first encounter with Weirwood and I'm still not sure what to think about it. Is it meant to be a red herring?

Maybe it's not in the present and it was Aegon's conquest
honestly, I have no idea

Had a thought... The show likes to combine characters or merge plots to save time...

What if Jon and Aegon are revealed to be one and the same?

NeoGiff

Maybe it's not in the present and it was Aegon's conquest
honestly, I have no idea

But Aegon didn't conquer King's Landing, because it wasn't there. It's literally called King's Landing because that's where he landed upon his arrival in Westeros.

Kuroyume

Banned
I would rather have Ghost and Wun Wun instead of the dragons tbh... I didn't have to see Dany riding aorund. Could have done that off-screen

Maybe the whole of KL doesn't get burned to the ground.

Branduil

Honestly, as well-executed as all the shocking deaths in A Storm of Swords were, I think that was what led to GRRM being stuck. Suddenly half the characters we'd been following were dead, and now he had to write his way around it. He had to come up with a bunch of new characters to follow, and that stimulated his tendency to world-build instead of finishing his damn story. That plus Meereen has resulted in the books grinding to a dead halt.

fanboi

Banned
Man Think of the epicness when Danerys arrives at KL, dragoons flying in and landning outside the Red Keep... the faces on Cersi, Jamie etc...

Hystzen

Watching Ramsey made me wish Joffery was still around the way show pushed Ramsey to be evil got hilariously old quick every episode he did something. Joffery worked as he was not pure evil for sake of it.

I'm also one those who thinks Feast Of Crows is a better book then Dance. Just flowed better IMO and we got some interesting POV with Cersei .

It could by symbolism as well. As in, hey a dragon (Dany) is coming to KL. Bran's visions in the books can be symbolic more than actual visions of the future. He saw a vision of Winter fell being flooded by the sea, which was foreshadowing of Theon capturing Winterfell. The dragon over King's Landing may be a similar thing. Same with his vision of the Hound and Jaime fighting the undead Mountain. Could be more symbolic.

Hinchy

Book 4 was awful though, no arguments there.

I thoroughly enjoy both AFFC and the show, does that just mean I have low standards?

AFFC's certainly slow-paced but I dunno. Jaime's arc is fantastic, I actually like Brienne's journey, and getting Cersei's insane internal monologue is practically worth the read on its own. Dorne/Ironborn stuff is the least good but I feel like a lot of it feels more uninteresting as it is because it's frontloading introductions to stuff we weren't interested in beforehand in book 4 of the series. That's not saying that it gets a free pass from criticism, just that coming back to it on rereading, I don't have that problem with those chapters anymore.

EDIT: Oh, and Sam. I guess I don't really care about Sam's chapters in AFFC, considering I forgot them. Barring the last one, anyway. Hey, I didn't say that AFFC wasn't my least favorite of the books. Just that I still like it.

One thing I do like about adapting the books is turning the more speechy dialogues and monologues into more natural conversations.

Characters in a television show should never just launch into something like the broken man speech.

However, there's a very large gap in between reading lines from a book and talking about sticking your fingers up someone's ass.

D and D should have hired some really experienced television writers after season 4. That would have solved all of this. Get the guys who wrote any of the best HBO shows. Rome, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, whatever. Anyone but them.
They should do a spoof ending where Ned sits down in a diner and all the his family come in one by one to don't stop believing.

ObiDin

Knowing Cersei, I could see this backfiring spectacularly though, hence it spreading to the rest of King's Landing and inadvertently killing her son for extra pathos.

Doesn't even have to spread, just have Tommen at the Sept for a secret meeting with his holiness and boom, Cersei dun fucked up. Would be delicious and sad.

it was an incredible drag to read, I will never re-read it. AFFC was even worse though.

I liked AFFC more on a reread. I'd still rank it behind the first 3 books, but it became a good entry in the series for me. I haven't reread ADWD though, the idea of going through those Dany and Tyrion chapters again is daunting.

I would rather have Ghost and Wun Wun instead of the dragons tbh... I didn't have to see Dany riding aorund. Could have done that off-screen

Same here. I can understand why they don't use the wolves more, but it's still pretty disappointing.

iALX

Way Tywin was going, he'd have killed Joff himself eventually.

Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but I thought Tywin knew about the (then) impending Purple Wedding plot, yet did nothing to stop it? That was further implied in the series, as he didn't even wait for Joffrey's actual burial to start influencing Tommen. Even if it didn't happen, there's no chance we'd see Tywin getting his hands dirty, it'd just be another cloak and dagger situation.

I might be missing something, though. Season 4 was a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom