• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Show Tyrion is basically the same character he's always been. The drinking sarcastic dwarf who thinks he's smarter than everyone. Based on his behavior in S5/S6 you'd never know he killed his father and lover within the last year.

He's not actually the same character. Somewhere along the way he has actually gotten more noble, less direct in his rudeness, and picked up a good dose of extra empathy along the way. It seems killing those closest to him actually made him a better person!

fanboi

Banned
He's not actually the same character. Somewhere along the way he has actually gotten more noble, less direct in his rudeness, and picked up a good dose of extra empathy along the way. It seems killing those closest to him actually made him a better person!

Maybe that is what I need to do!

Tyrion and even Cersei funnily enough are whitewashed in the show, Tyrion is an outright cunt in the books, he is really not a very nice guy, and yeah, I agree with GRRM that he does come off as a villain at times. That said I find his chapters interesting and fun to read, his beef with Cersei makes for some good entertainment.

I think they nailed him.

Arya is a guess I suppose, but that would stretch the travel time thing to extremes.

I actually wouldn't care about the distance/travel/injury thing at all if after Jamie leaves that tent/house with Walder Frey Arya sneaks in and kills him. Also, let Arya over hear that the Starks have taken back Winterfell.

mantidor

Arya is a guess I suppose, but that would stretch the travel time thing to extremes.

Arya's storyline has been isolated from the rest at least, it's not a stretch that all that happened in Braavos happened some time ago. Also isn't Braavos like right next to King's Landing? Like a couple of weeks tops?

munchie64

I actually wouldn't care about the distance/travel/injury thing at all if after Jamie leaves that tent/house with Walder Frey Arya sneaks in and kills him. Also, let Arya over hear that the Starks have taken back Winterfell.
Oh yeah, I'd love it too. Maybe even have Jaime interacting with her somehow (not directly, but something).
Arya's storyline has been isolated from the rest at least, it's not a stretch that all that happened in Braavos happened some time ago. Also isn't Braavos like right next to King's Landing? Like a couple of weeks tops?
Well, I was talking about her being at the Twins, but you're right.

Henkka

Banned
The sex slave at Volantis not once but twice.

The second time is after he realizes how disgusting he is for doing this but then does it again anyways.

And no, you can't use the social norm of Westeros defense because Westeros abhors slavery and Tyrion knows what he's doing is wrong.

The sex slave part is incredibly dark and disgusting. Tyrion is a morally grey character, but leaning toward black in ADWD.

In one of the preview chapters of TWOW, there's a part where
he contemplates killing Penny after she kisses him.
Dude is fucked.

Gigglepoo

Why do people think Lady Stoneheart is going to appear on Sunday? I thought that was thoroughly shot down after The Hound joined The Brotherhood. Plus, George himself said it wasn't going to happen on the show. I don't get where this push is coming from.

SpaceWolf

Banned

293344f48efe539b968f7883b2585494bf7426c9d092c7af894a1efd0b14aba4.jpg

Black_Sun

Every character in ASOIAF is misogynistic. He killed someone who aimed to kill him AND orchestrated the rape of the love of his life. He has shown quite a bit of concern for the common folk, and was one of the first noble characters to do so.

I don't remember the sex slave, so I'll have to look that up. But Dance of Dragon is a meandering tale of him coming out of his drunken depression and finding new purpose. Keep in mind that he knows Cersei has people going around killing dwarves looking for him...

Tyrion had justifiable reasons for killing Tywin.

But Tyrion has also fed a singer to the poor peasants.

He killed Shae slowly out of rage for feeling humiliated by her for that giant of Lannister comment. GRRM even calls it a much blacker deed than what he did to Tywin.

Tyrion doesn't really care about the smallfolk. His reply when hearing about villages being raped, pillaged and razed is "So what? That's war."

Tyrion also thinks democracy is stupid and that giving a voice to women is ludicrous

Tyrion's arc is about becoming a villain but also about getting out of his depression.

There's a TWOW sample chapter where Tyrion almost murders Penny after an innocent comment by her

Iksenpets

Banned
Why do people think Lady Stoneheart is going to appear on Sunday? I thought that was thoroughly shot down after The Hound joined The Brotherhood. Plus, George himself said it wasn't going to happen on the show. I don't get where this push is coming from.

The argument that I keep hearing is that the Riverlands plot is about at the point where Brienne is supposed to get captured by Stoneheart, and Catelyn's been mentioned too much this season. But the Riverlands plot has clearly been restructured into something completely different, and every major dead character gets name dropped constantly. They talked about Stannis a whole bunch this season, but I don't think he's getting resurrected anytime soon.

Gigglepoo

There's a huge difference between the book's whispers about a dark woman leading the brotherhood and the show mentioning Catelyn. One is foreshadowing the other isn't. I'd be shocked if they shoehorned in LSH now. Way too late for that.

Black_Sun

Yall have some strange definitions of cunt, people loved Tyrion and thought he was a great guy prior to the show starting and if i recall Grrm has even jokingly threatened to kill him because he knows how much people love him.

It's been a while since I read the books, but outside of shit that's just a norm in westeros he was always more of the nicer characters. Or at the very least well meaning in the long run as far as he can.

I won't disagree that cersei in the show is much less comically villainous as in the books.

Prior to the show starting was before ADWD came out when Tyrion did a lot of shitty things.

Although people should've already held some doubts during ASOS.

I mean Tyrion is the type of guy that hits Shae when he thinks she's mocking him.

Calling a spade a spade is D&D's favorite pastime. Arya was stabbed as realArya, not JaqenArya; Syrio is long dead; there is no Northern Conspiracy; the northerners are unloyal shitheads; Jon still isn't as badass as we want to think he is; they don't hate wolves, they just don't have money; LSH isn't happening; etc.

Black_Sun

Calling a spade a spade is D&D's favorite pastime. Arya was stabbed as realArya, not JaqenArya; Syrio is long dead; there is no Northern Conspiracy; the northerners are unloyal shitheads; Jon still isn't as badass as we want to think he is; they don't hate wolves, they just don't have money; LSH isn't happening; etc.

I still remember when people thought Talisa was obviously a spy and a Lannister combining both Jeyne and her mother's roles.

But then it turned out she really was just an anachronistic nurse traveling Westeros.

I still remember when people thought Talisa was obviously a spy and a Lannister combining both Jeyne and her mother's roles.

But then it turned out she really was just an anachronistic nurse traveling Westeros.

Wasn't there a bunch of controversy about a letter she was writing in one scene before meeting or talking with Robb?

Also Stannis is dead

This one chaffs me a little. The popular opinion at the end of last season was "no body=no death"...which I feel like had actually been something of a pattern in this series, at least in the show.

This season, of course, flipped that over completely. So many offscreen deaths, Stannis's fits right in.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

Did anything at all end up having a second, not-so-obvious layer?
I think it's a long time since we've even seen a double agent.

Elandyll

Banned
Yeah, aside from somehow getting Arya back in the Westeros story, I don't see how Jaime spending time with the Freys would be of any importance with all that's happening... Only other way would be for Frey to want to put Edmure back in the dungeon, which Jaime would have to object to, having promised on his honor that Edmure would be back with his son and given some degree of freedom. Wonder how far that disagreement could take things.

Gigglepoo

Did anything at all end up having a second, not-so-obvious layer?
I think it's a long time since we've even seen a double agent.

D&D haven't thought up one clever twist. Not one. When they go off book, it's always by-the-numbers even though fans throw out so many theories that would be way more interesting. Just imagine how bland the show would have been if they had been on their own from the beginning.

Cromwell

Banned

Obvious, blunt storytelling to me was an active choice to gain popularity. I think D&D are actually smarter than their writing makes them appear to be, they just happen to have a cynical outlook on their audience. Season 1 feels like a different show entirely compared to Season 5 and 6.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Obvious, blunt storytelling to me was an active choice to gain popularity. I think D&D are actually smarter than their writing makes them appear to be, they just happen to have a cynical outlook on their audience. Season 1 feels like a different show entirely compared to Season 5 and 6.
Definitely. Keep in mind these are the same producers who originally threw in boobs for every other scene because they were afraid people would lose attention during the political intrigue scenes. And the sad thing is, they might have been right to do so.

Speevy

Banned
What IS the deal with off-screen deaths of beloved characters?

Did they get numerous death threats after the red wedding?

Most on-screen deaths on this show are really, really gruesome and I've seen enough of them. I don't want a character to die ambiguously without giving the actor his due, but I don't mind not seeing Ramsay's guts.

Cromwell

Banned
Not showing Stannis' death wasn't justifiable in any way. I still think they did that because they weren't 100% certain on the plot for S6 at the time and wanted to leave their options open. The way they shot that scene would have made it easy to handwave away his survival with a "Brienne had a moment of weakness" explanation.

grandjedi6

How many people have been off-screened? Stannis, Blackfish, the Waif and Syrio?

Besides Stannis, those all made sense.

How many people have been off-screened? Stannis, Blackfish, the Waif and Syrio?

Besides Stannis, those all made sense.

Blackfish would have been funnier with better editing.

Like he sends Brienne and Pod off on the boat, and then takes out his sword and then an awkward jump to "the blackfish is dead" *nod*

grandjedi6

This either plays at the big climactic King's Landing moment, Arya killing people, or Stoneheart appearing.
I wouldn't be surprised if that track wasn't in the show at all. Every season they don't use one or two amazing tracks.

That said, if it is used, it's gotta be one hell of a scene to have a nearly 10 minute song attached to it.

Blackfish would have been funnier with better editing.

Like he sends Brienne and Pod off on the boat, and then takes out his sword and then an awkward jump to "the blackfish is dead" *nod*
Even funnier would have been to try and watch Clive Russell fight ten dudes by himself. Would've given the sand snakes a running for "best" fight choreography.

Speevy

Banned
The final song usually includes some variation of the title song, which is
The Winds of Winter.

Cersei and Loras' trial is Sunday, and there has to be music to that.

fuzzyset

So in the House of the Undying, Dany is told that

Within, you will see many things that disturb you. Visions of loveliness and visions of horror, wonders and terrors. Sights and sounds of days gone by and days to come and days that never were.

Have any of the visions turned out to be wrong yet? Is KL burning just a gigantic red herring (like Cleganebowl)?

The show knew we were waiting for the clegane bowl possibilities and was all "trial by combat is now no longer allowed, because we knew you'd rather watch 30 minutes of an awkward altar boy and his priest accuse a woman and a gay man of not being christian instead of a cool battle scene"

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
That music track people are talking about: That's nuts. Completely different sounding than any other musical piece in the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom