• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but I thought Tywin knew about the (then) impending Purple Wedding plot, yet did nothing to stop it? That was further implied in the series, as he didn't even wait for Joffrey's actual burial to start influencing Tommen. Even if it didn't happen, there's no chance we'd see Tywin getting his hands dirty, it'd just be another cloak and dagger situation.

I might be missing something, though. Season 4 was a long time ago.

I can't remember, either, but I think you're right, though I don't know what I'm remembering re: book vs show.

Doesn't even need to be a secret meeting.

Tommen is there praying for his mother.

Sounds like a good way to do it. The show has been casting Cersei as a tragic villain who ironically makes all the wrong decisions in the attempts to protect her family (as a direct parallel of Catelyn Stark).
I've actually preferred show Cersei to book Cersei. In the book, she's a bit too evil without enough justification.

I don't think they'll totally raze KL with wildfire. I think the location is too important to the story. The Red Keep will survive, with an empty throne.

I'm wondering how the show will turn Euron into a believable big bad endboss. So far he's come across like Oliver Reed on a night out. I don't know how they turn a scruffy looking raider into a real threat. Especially since Dany has dragons and we've just seen her destroy one fleet that seems a lot more advanced that the Ironborn's.

hydruxo

That shot of Jon standing in front of the Bolton army charging at him in combination with that music is one of my favorite moments ever on this show. That shit was awesome.

Henkka

Banned
I don't think Tywin knew about the Purple wedding plot... He probably just had a hunch Joffrey wouldn't last long. Or maybe he was thinking of doing it himself, before they had another Aerys on their hands.

But he probably thought Tyrion really did poison the wine.

hemo memo

Gold Member
That shot of Jon standing in front of the Bolton army charging at him in combination with that music is one of my favorite moments ever on this show. That shit was awesome.

game-of-thrones.6.9.2296866.4908.gif

Skilletor

No more pre-written GRRM bizarre sex scenes to draw from?

More like they got all of the sexposition out of the way so now we can have "regular" dialogue.

Because we all know the only way viewers will pay attention to a character talking about the history of dragons is while a whore acts like she's interested before getting down to business.

was this the season with the least sexual content? I wonder why

The books have much less sexual content - or opportunity for it - later on than early on, and I think that's being reflected in the parts of the story the show has focused on lately. That, and it seems like the showrunners have responded to criticism of the show's gratuitous nudity/sex/sexual violence.

Daemul

He was always bi...they just made it noticeable in the show.

They made many characters sexual orientation more noticeable on the show. When I read the books I never realized that Loras and Renly were gay, it was only when I stumbled into a thread talking about it on the Asoiaf forums that I first heard about it lmao

They many characters sexual orientation more noticeable on the show. When I read the books I never realized that Loras and Renly were gay, it was only when I discovered the Asoiaf forums that I heard about it lmao

What?!

I feel like I remember a tyrion scene in the books where he straight up mentioned it.

Daemul

What?!

I feel like I remember a tyrion scene in the books where he straight up mentioned it.

There were some heavy hints but I never picked up on them on my first read through.

EDIT: Also yep, same thing with Oberyn, I didn't figure out he was bi until I did a re read lol

emag

You have no basis to say that.
In fact, he literally said "why wait, we have asked everybody for help" and she stayed quiet.
What you take for sheer stupidity was taking a chance at saving his brother, because he values other's lives more than his own.

Are you saying that if Jon knew that Sansa had written to LF, he wouldn't have rushed forward to "save" his brother?

Onion A|V Club's Polite Fight video feature:

- The cinematic choices that made Game Of Thrones’ bastard battle so exhilarating
Much like the episode itself, Gus and John’s “Battle Of The Bastards” breaks down into two parts, the marquee Stark-Bolton showdown and the happenings in Meereen. Gus proposes we track the Winterfell battle through three key moments, namely the points where Jon Snow’s death seems inevitable. Meereenwhile, Daenerys’ throne room continues to be a cinematically rich environment as the mother of dragons returns. Thrones keeps finding subtle new ways to manipulate the room’s color and the staging to articulate the power dynamics as they play out in the great pyramid.

Skilletor

Are you saying that if Jon knew that Sansa had written to LF, he wouldn't have rushed forward to "save" his brother?

The implication in that quote is that he might have waited if he knew they had help. Hell, if he knew, maybe he could have been communicating with LF to come up with a more unified plan, taking advantage of their position and the apparent fact that Ramsay had no idea there was an army nearby.

There's no defense against LF's ability to unlock fast travel markers and teleport large numbers of people, supplies, and horses. Jon could have used that info.

Black_Sun

Nope. Not excited for books that are never coming. It's like getting hyped for Duke Nukem Forever!

Stannis had an amazing scene with Shireen in Season 5. Right up there if not better than his scenes in the books. Knocked it right out of the part. Them completely assassinating his character right after that to have an edgy child burning shock scene is unfortunate. But we also got Adventures of Tyrion and Varys, which is a huge improvement over most of his terrible arc in the recent books. The Grand Northern Conspiracy is certainly missed, but at the same time we got 20 Good Men, Teleporting Dogs, and Ramsay's Harley Quinn. We win some, we lose some. What the show lacks in subtlety it makes up for in pulp entertainment.

*Wall Scythe Gif*

Who cares about the writing? Certainly not me. If I did I would have stopped watched after Season 2. It was always clear that this was a much more pulpy and direct take on the same story. Different tone, different direction. Doesn't mean it's worse, just easier to consume. When I sit back and watch a new episode of Game of Thrones, I don't ask myself "is this deep and meaningful art", I open a bag of chips or doritos, slip a cold glass of coke, and hope that it's an hour of badass fantasy action with funny dick jokes. Tits and dragons are a plus. The show embracing what it is good at and what it has always wanted to be makes it better than ever. No point trying to be what it's not. Bring on the bad pussies and the big cocks. :D

The Adventures of Tyrion and Varys is one of the worst adaptational choices the show has made.

Varys' character has no logical endgame and has be downgraded to Tyrion's wankman and follower.

Tyrion's arc this season has been mostly dick jokes and sharing scenes with two nobodies. Also Peter Dinklage has started phoning it in. He had one relevant scene this season.

At least book Tyrion is actually going through character development and turning into a villain and helped introduce Aegon's group.

The Adventures of Tyrion and Varys is one of the worst adaptational choices the show has made.

Varys' character has no logical endgame and has be downgraded to Tyrion's wankman and follower.

Tyrion's arc this season has been mostly dick jokes and sharing scenes with two nobodies. Also Peter Dinklage has started phoning it in. He had one relevant scene this season.

At least book Tyrion is actually going through character development and turning into a villain and helped introduce Aegon's group.

Wha?

Black_Sun

Dude is a bad person post ASOS.

He's a misogynist, a rapist, a kin-slayer, and a murderder with Nice Guy tendencies. He's pretty callous about the lives of peasants too.

ASOS ends with Tyrion claiming Tywin's mantle saying that he's Tywin writ small to Tywin's face right before he dies.

GRRM has even called Tyrion a villain on numerous occasions.

Black_Sun

When did Tyrion rape?

The sex slave at Volantis not once but twice.

The second time is after he realizes how disgusting he is for doing this but then does it again anyways.

And no, you can't use the social norm of Westeros defense because Westeros abhors slavery and Tyrion knows what he's doing is wrong.

Speevy

Banned
Tyrion isn't well written in the show, but I'd rather not turn him into the shitbag he is in the books.

There are enough shitbags in the show.

Black_Sun

Tyrion isn't well written in the show, but I'd rather not turn him into the shitbag he is in the books.

There are enough shitbags in the show.

I kinda like that Tyrion and Jaime were always on parallel journeys.

As Jaime becomes more of a hero, Tyrion becomes more of a villain.

Anyways taking that away from Tyrion made his character stagnant.

And the show should probably try adding a lot of the nicer characters in the books into the show to counter all the shitbags they like to add.

Can we get Strong Belwas, Edric Dayne, Big Bucket, Rodrik the Reader and Satin in the show?

NeoGiff

The sex slave at Volantis not once but twice.

The second time is after he realizes how disgusting he is for doing this but then does it again anyways.

And no, you can't use the social norm of Westeros defense
because Westeros abhors slavery and Tyrion knows what he's doing is wrong.

By that token, you can't use misogyny either.

Black_Sun

By that token, you can't use misogyny either.

I think that defense is bullshit in general unless you're trying to tell me that someone isn't as bad as the average person surrounding them.

I just meant that it can't even be raised in this situation because Tyrion is fully aware of what he's doing.

Dude is a bad person post ASOS.

He's a misogynist, a rapist, a kin-slayer, and a murderder with Nice Guy tendencies. He's pretty callous about the lives of peasants too.

ASOS ends with Tyrion claiming Tywin's mantle saying that he's Tywin writ small to Tywin's face right before he dies.

GRRM has even called Tyrion a villain on numerous occasions.

Every character in ASOIAF is misogynistic. He killed someone who aimed to kill him AND orchestrated the rape of the love of his life. He has shown quite a bit of concern for the common folk, and was one of the first noble characters to do so.

I don't remember the sex slave, so I'll have to look that up. But Dance of Dragon is a meandering tale of him coming out of his drunken depression and finding new purpose. Keep in mind that he knows Cersei has people going around killing dwarves looking for him...

NeoGiff

I think that defense is bullshit in general unless you're trying to tell me that someone isn't as bad as the average how surrounding them.

I just meant that it can't even be raised in this situation because Tyrion is fully aware of what he's doing.

Oh no, all I'm saying is that I don't think it's right to hold it against characters that they generally treat women as far inferior than we do today. It's a product of the time, and very few would have questioned it.

Daemul

Tyrion and even Cersei funnily enough are whitewashed in the show, Tyrion is an outright cunt in the books, he is really not a very nice guy, and yeah, I agree with GRRM that he does come off as a villain at times. That said I find his chapters interesting and fun to read, his beef with Cersei makes for some good entertainment.

Sorry, but no.

It's hard to actually quantify this discussion without getting bogged down in actual analysis of nudity/sex screentime percentages vs nudity/sex written passage percentages. If the books have more "scenes" of nudity/sex, they may seem less because of the density of the surrounding material.

I couldn't really say, one way or the other.

Tyrion and even Cersei funnily enough are whitewashed in the show, Tyrion is an outright cunt in the books, he is really not a very nice guy, and yeah, I agree with GRRM that he does come off as a villain at times. That said I find his chapters interesting and fun to read, his beef with Cersei makes for some good entertainment.
Yall have some strange definitions of cunt, people loved Tyrion and thought he was a great guy prior to the show starting and if i recall Grrm has even jokingly threatened to kill him because he knows how much people love him.

It's been a while since I read the books, but outside of shit that's just a norm in westeros he was always more of the nicer characters. Or at the very least well meaning in the long run as far as he can.

I won't disagree that cersei in the show is much less comically villainous as in the books.

Show Tyrion is basically the same character he's always been. The drinking sarcastic dwarf who thinks he's smarter than everyone. Based on his behavior in S5/S6 you'd never know he killed his father and lover within the last year.

I think that has done a disservice to the character and even moreso to the actor. He hasn't had any great material to work with for the last two seasons.

You can call Dance's Tyrion boring and dour all you want but Martin did an impressive job deconstructing the character after he reached his nadir. And yes Penny was instrumental in that process, and I'd imagine her inevitable death - be it at the hands of Tyrion or someone else - will mark his final turning point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom