• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Sun

That's a bunch of speculative horseshit.

GRRM has come out and said he's not watching the show right now. He's "too busy for it".

Even though it only takes an one hour per week.

He releases a new chapter every time an episode does something really bad.

Sansa gets raped. He releases an Alyane chapter within a week and makes comments implying that what happened to show Sansa won't happen to Book Sansa.

The Sand Snakes brutally murder, he releases Arianne II and makes a somewhat snarky comment on the SS.

The kingsmoot disappoints on the show. He releases an admittedly epic Aeron chapter.

He's voiced that he's not happy with some of the changes they've done to Tyrion.

Fans always bring up that he sounds unhappy lately whenever the show is brought up.

He does passive aggressive things like making D & D change Talisa's former name of Jeyne to Talisa.

He's made comments that he can't control anything anyone does on the show etc.

And then you get stuff like this:

"OH and also GRRM talked about Dorne! He wasn't exactly dissing the show, but he didn't have anything good to say about it. One guy talked asked if season 6 would spoil the books for him. Something like "Don't think what happens in the show will happen in the books, the show is completely different. The books will be nothing like that." You could really feel the dislike he had for it."

Black_Sun

"a little bloated"

Im serious, lol. I mean I think there are a few chapters you could cut out in AFFC and ADWD. Namely the first few Brienne chapters and the Arya Oakheart chapter and part of an Arianne chapter but a lot of the other stuff is set up for what's coming.

His books have a slow pace because of all the things he's setting up for in TWOW.

I'm prepared to eat crow if I'm wrong but TWOW will have explosive pace once we get past the first few chapters.

I'm willing to bet one thousand dollars that TWOW will be more eventful than ASOS.

Speevy

Banned
GRRM has come out and said he's not watching the show right now. He's "too busy for it".

Even though it only takes an one hour per week.

He releases a new chapter every time an episode does something really bad.

Sansa gets raped. He releases an Alyane chapter within a week and makes comments implying that what happened to show Sansa won't happen to Book Sansa.

The Sand Snakes brutally murder, he releases Arianne II and makes a somewhat snarky comment on the SS.

The kingsmoot disappoints on the show. He releases an admittedly epic Aeron chapter.

He's voiced that he's not happy with some of the changes they've done to Tyrion.

Fans always bring up that he sounds unhappy lately whenever the show is brought up.

He does passive aggressive things like making D & D change Talisa's former name of Jeyne to Talisa.

He's made comments that he can't control anything anyone does on the show etc.

And then you get stuff like this:

"OH and also GRRM talked about Dorne! He wasn't exactly dissing the show, but he didn't have anything good to say about it. One guy talked asked if season 6 would spoil the books for him. Something like "Don't think what happens in the show will happen in the books, the show is completely different. The books will be nothing like that." You could really feel the dislike he had for it."

That's all speculative horseshit, or George R.R. Martin is a fucking 2 year old. Take your pick.

Henkka

Banned
The Aeron chapter wasn't released, anyway. He offered con-goers a choice of chapters, and someone transcribed it.

But I doubt GRRM is happy with the show as it is.

Black_Sun

That's all speculative horseshit, or George R.R. Martin is a fucking 2 year old. Take your pick.

Then he's 2 years old.

I mean he says a lot of passive aggressive things.

"The books are always better."

And how he doesn't like it when the movies stray too far from the books

Sure you can give several allowance for some comments.

But it all adds up.

Black_Sun

The Aeron chapter wasn't released, anyway. He offered con-goers a choice of chapters, and someone transcribed it.

But I doubt GRRM is happy with the show as it is.

Good point. Forgot that. Although it's still suspicious that he offered that as a choice after 4 years just after the kingsmoot

KahooTs

He's a two year old for not liking the shit show writing, and does and says things to reassure readers that the nose dive in the show's quality does not reflect on what he's writing, all without actually ever insulting the show or anyone associated with it. Such a two year old.

Cromwell

Banned

It's not horseshit. It checks out, it's not like he can really voice his opinion on it in any direct way. I don't get why it would be shocking or surprising that he's not happy with the direction of the show, I'd be amazed if he was. Doing stuff like releasing the Dorne chapter a week after the S6 premiere with the accompanying quote is not a coincidence.

He should know bullshit, considering Dorne in the books is a "fucking bullshit" storyline as well.

Nah, Doran is great.

Ishan

One I think book ppl take it too far yes . But having said that hbo wants more seasons so why not flesh out the show more why the rush to end the show ? The show does rush thru things at times

Black_Sun

He should know bullshit, considering Dorne in the books is a "fucking bullshit" storyline as well.

Show Dorne was a badly written mess that made Jaime an even worse character with writing holes all over.

The worst you can say about Book Dorne is that it was boring with a cartoony minor character called Darkstar.

It's mostly there to set up an ally for Aegon when he arrives and introduce us to the Dornish cast.

duckroll

GRRM isn't some snobby little fanboy. I'm sure he sat there enjoying the Battle of the Bastards with a giant smile on his face like the rest of us.

But why would he be watching the show instead of writ-

Something is clearly keeping him from finishing his books.

That must be it! He's too busy watching the show to finish the books! Damnit! What a lazy writer!! Let's bitch about this on the internet~

Gonna need a link to Martin saying he doesn't watch the show. I don't believe that.

I understand why Martin would be frustrated given how bad the show is in many ways. But I have no sympathy for him considering he alone is responsible for the hole he's in. He's the guy who filled his schedule with appearances instead of completing Winds in time for S5 or S6. Now he has to sit back and watch some of his biggest ideas be spoiled by an inferior product that is super popular.

The Damphair chapter is amazing and just the type of thing many of us expect from the series. Likewise the Sansa and Mercy chapters were great and better than the show arcs for those characters. The book should have been out, and we wouldn't be having these conversations.

Speevy

Banned
He's a two year old for not liking the shit show writing, and does and says things to reassure readers that the nose dive in the show's quality does not reflect on what he's writing, all without actually ever insulting the show or anyone associated with it. Such a two year old.

That's called being unprofessional, when you accept a mountain of money for something and do your best to show that you're against it.

Yes, I choose to believe that GRRM is not unprofessional.

Black_Sun

Gonna need a link to Martin saying he doesn't watch the show. I don't believe that.

I understand why Martin would be frustrated given how bad the show is in many ways. But I have no sympathy for him considering he alone is responsible for the hole he's in. He's the guy who filled his schedule with appearances instead of completing Winds in time for S5 or S6. Now he has to sit back and watch some of his biggest ideas be spoiled by an inferior product that is super popular.

The Damphair chapter is amazing and just the type of thing many of us expect from the series. Likewise the Sansa and Mercy chapters were great and better than the show arcs for those characters. The book should have been out, and we wouldn't be having these conversations.

"He interviewed Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) at the Jean Cocteau. Afterwards he answered questions while Joe Hill was signing books. Someone asked him about the show's Hodor name reveal. He said that his name reveal in the books will differ in the context and how it happens. So while the name will still mean the same thing (Hold the Door), it will be very different from the show's reveal. He said he came up with the name idea in 1991 and seemed depressed that the show got to reveal it before he did. He said he had no one to blame but himself for his slow writing. He joked about how jealous he was of Stephen King's writing speed. He said he seemed to release an entire book every time he's only just written about a chapter and a half.

Someone else asked him if he was caught up on this season and GRRM said all his focus is on the books. Someone complemented his chapter that he recently released online. GRRM said that this is a character that isn't in the TV show as his response. The tone of his show related responses made it seem like he no longer likes it. He did defend the show writer's need to make major cuts to the books."

https://m.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/4kruq7/spoilers_everything_got_to_hear_grrms_thoughts_on/

Cromwell

Banned
That's called being unprofessional, when you accept a mountain of money for something and do your best to show that you're against it.

This happens all the time, and in way worse ways. Stephen King publicly slammed Stanley fucking Kubrick just because The Shining wasn't exactly how he wanted it to be, even tough it was a critically lauded film. What GRRM is doing is child's play by comparison.

Ishan

Okay if you think art oriented ppl can't be unprofessional lol . he's a writer it's his baby he's been professional enough while it seems he doesn't agree with the show completely . He's unprofessional about it whilst insisting if he can't finish it no one can ... It's a friggin writer who takes 5 years to write a book ... Let's all admit it's an artist and we allow the lack of profeciency and professionalism in the traditional sense of those words due to his talent

Black_Sun

Fan who believes GRRM no longer likes the show interprets his "tone" as such when he said no such thing. Classic confirmation bias.

Sure but then we have several more saying the same thing on different occasions and we have witnesses to that interview.

And again, there are his suspect comments and the things he does.

Taken separately they seem innocent.

Added up they paint someone that's sort of bitter at the show.

KahooTs

No, he doesn't do his best to show he's against it, he does his best not to while reassuring readers not to worry.

He could easily bad mouth the shit out of it, he's basically given every opportunity whenever he's at one of these outings, fans keep asking him questions trying to lead him down that path, he has so far chosen not to.

Paganmoon

Show Dorne was a badly written mess that made Jaime an even worse character with writing holes all over.

The worst you can say about Book Dorne is that it was boring with a cartoony minor character called Darkstar.

It's mostly there to set up an ally for Aegon when he arrives and introduce us to the Dornish cast.

fAegon/Aegon isn't exactly a good thing about the books either. You don't introduce a new player after 5000+ pages. So I don't see that as any redemption for the Dorne plot in the books either.

Speevy

Banned
No, he doesn't do his best to show he's against it, he does his best not to while reassuring readers not to worry.

He could easily bad mouth the shit out of it, he's basically given every opportunity whenever he's at one of these outings, fans keep asking him questions trying to lead him down that path, he has so far chosen not to.

Well, I'm going down the path of believing that while he can't possibly like everything they've done, he and D and D remain friends.

The show is a critical and commercial success into the end of its 6th year, which is more than most shows could hope for.

George should be proud of what it has done even with its limitations and missteps.

Sheroking

Possibly he's a complex person with complex feelings, thoughts and emotions and doesn't have as simplistic of a viewpoint as some in this thread seem to think he must?

The only place you will find scathing, pervasive criticism of Game of Thrones is in a thread like this one - populated by book fans who don't love the adaptation. In literally almost every other circle, Game of Thrones is extremely well received. Critics, fans and the academies are all generally behind the show.

Possibly George understands that an adaptation makes sacrifices, isn't strictly beholden to the source material - particularly where it is bloated and unfinished, and knows that it must become it's own thing.

duckroll

Sure but then we have several more saying the same thing on different occasions and we have witnesses to that interview.

And again, there are his suspect comments and the things he does.

Taken separately they seem innocent.

Added up they paint someone that's sort of bitter at the show.

What are these "suspect comments" and "the things he does"? More people having confirmation bias and WANTING to believe that GRRM does not like the show and that everything he says could be a "hint" that he is bitter or whatever doesn't make it more true. The only real evidence that would count is if he himself expressed that he is disappointed with the show and how it is made. He has not said that and to try and suggest over and over that all people have to do is "read between the lines" is pretty rude because you're putting words in his mouth.

His consistent stand over the years has been that the show is the show and the books are the books. He has said there were chances made earlier on which would have larger and larger impact on the divergence of the narrative as the story got towards the end. This all remains true. He has managed expectations of fans. He has expressed disappointment that he could not release the next book before this season was released, but he never blamed anyone other than himself. GRRM was a television showrunner himself in the past, he knows how the business works better than most people who want to try and speak for him or twist his words. When he says that he understands the medium and appreciates the hard work the showrunners put into the show, I believe him. Why wouldn't I? It has never been more entertaining.

KahooTs

fAegon/Aegon isn't exactly a good thing about the books either. You don't introduce a new player after 5000+ pages. So I don't see that as any redemption for the Dorne plot in the books either.

Aegon is an extension of Varys, his pawn, its the outing of a secret plot from a shadowy player grounded all the way back in AGOT.

If it wasn't for HBO, I would've never heard of George R R Martin, or Game of Thrones. I'd say the show is more popular than the books, and I'd also venture to say that it's more important. Imho

KahooTs

Possibly he's a complex person with complex feelings, thoughts and emotions and doesn't have as simplistic of a viewpoint as some in this thread seem to think he must?

The only place you will find scathing, pervasive criticism of Game of Thrones is in a thread like this one - populated by book fans who don't love the adaptation. In literally almost every other circle, Game of Thrones is extremely well received. Critics, fans and the academies are all generally behind the show.

Possibly George understands that an adaptation makes sacrifices, isn't strictly beholden to the source material - particularly where it is bloated and unfinished, and must become it's own thing.

Yeah ok, you go ahead and believe then that there was no design behind GRRM putting up that Dorne chapter before the show pumped out those Dorne scenes that were so extremely well received by critics, fans and academies.

Sheroking

Yeah ok, you go ahead and believe then that there was no design behind GRRM putting up that Dorne chapter before the show pumped out those Dorne scenes that were so extremely well received by critics, fans and academies.

Everyone hated Dorne.

Possibly what amounted to 30 minutes of combined screen-time over the last 19 episodes isn't as much of a deal breaker to most as it was to book readers who were already upset with the adaptation?

Black_Sun

Aegon is an extension of Varys storyline. He's been set up since AGOT.

And Aegon doesn't work unless he come in the middle of the story. He's the parallel to Euron in that way. As PQ puts it Euron and Aegon are the hijacking villain and the hijacking hero.

Daenerys and the Others came too late and as a result Aegon and Euron are threatening to hijack their roles in the story as the main hero and villain.

Daenerys won't take down the Lannisters because Aegon will and if she tries to take him down she'll be known as the kin-slaying mad queen that brought dragons, evil councillors like the Imp and Jorah the slaver, a horde of sellswords, ironborn, Dothraki and unsullied to take down the savior of Westeros.

Cromwell

Banned
Well, I'm going down the path of believing that while he can't possibly like everything they've done, he and D and D remain friends.

The show is a critical and commercial success into the end of its 6th year, which is more than most shows could hope for.

George should be proud of what it has done even with its limitations and missteps.

I don't think anyone is saying he isn't friends with them or that he even hates the show, just that he's unhappy with parts of it.

Like, to suggest the Dorne thing was just a coincidence or something is straight up denial. He is clearly not pleased with that part of the show. I'd also guarantee he's not happy with how they handled Stannis.

Just because he was payed a lot of money by HBO doesn't mean his critical thinking faculties are shut down.

If it wasn't for HBO, I would've never heard of George R R Martin, or Game of Thrones. I'd say the show is more popular than the books, and I'd also venture to say that it's more important. Imho

This is like saying the Harry Potter films are more important than J.K. Rowling. History remembers the source, not what happened to be popular at the time.

KahooTs

Everyone hated Dorne.

Possibly what amounted to 30 minutes of combined screen-time over the last 19 episodes isn't as much of a deal breaker to most as they are to book readers who are already upset with the adaptation.

So you're sticking by it just being coincidence he drops that chapter when the show dropped their version od Dorne? While at the same time he put it out in public that the show and books are not the same stories?

Sheroking

So you're sticking by it just being coincidence he drops that chapter when the show dropped their version od Dorne? While at the same time he put it out in public that the show and books are not the same stories?

I think it's perfectly plausible that he, like everyone else, is unhappy with how Dorne has turned out in the show and wants to communicate that his version will continue to be different.

I don't think it's some damning evidence that he's this passive aggressive, super-bitter old man who hates the show now.

Black_Sun

I think it's perfectly plausible that he, like everyone else, is unhappy with how Dorne has turned out in the show and wants to communicate that his version will continue to be different.

I don't think it's some damning evidence that he's this passive aggressive, super-bitter old man who hates the show now.

Well none of are saying he hates the show though.

We're saying he's unhappy at it and most likely does dislike big aspects of the show.

And that's not just us thinking that. He has listed complaints in private to fans when they ask him about it.

Black_Sun

Speaking of the show and the books:

https://youtu.be/ek2O6bVAIQQ

This is a really good video of what I mean when I say the show has got the spirit of the books wrong.

This video came a week or two before Septon Ray showed up and he completely predicted that the show would murder him because ultimately the show went down a very walking dead like worldview.

He states the differences between the two and also compares it to LOTR

Possibly George understands that an adaptation makes sacrifices, isn't strictly beholden to the source material - particularly where it is bloated and unfinished, and knows that it must become it's own thing.
There's plenty of Thrones criticism beyond this thread, especially for the last two seasons. Not to mention the fact that the show is not in many respected critics' top ten lists at the end of the year. It's a slight step above Walking Dead or True Blood.

I dislike people who judge the show based on minor or major book differences and think those people range from annoying to toxic (Linda). The show's problem is not that it's different from the books, it's that it is largely a poorly written and inconsistent show. The production values are amazing, some of the acting is good. That's about it.

I get that the complexities of the books cannot exist on an expensive television show. But that does not mean the only alternative is a show that throws any logic or previously established world building/rules out the window to make plots work. Like the constant teleporting of characters/armies across large areas, or a big army magically getting past Moat Cailin without Ramsay finding out. Or the multiple kinslaying cases that happened within a span of 2-3 episodes. Or the general lack of character development. This is a show that exists largely for major action or shock beats, while being as simple and generic as possible. Everything else is secondary.

Black_Sun

Winds of Winter sounds like Daenerys finally heading to Westeros, so i'm guessing that's the final scene of the next episode.

It'll probably be one of the final scenes.

Other alternatives would Jon finding out his parentage.

Tower of Joy sequence.

The Others finally getting through the Wall.

Lady Stoneheart (it's not happening though)

Jon revealing that he's been warged by Bran the entire time and the actual Jon Snow is stuck in Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom