• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cromwell

Banned
Looking forward to the heaping servings of crow to go around once TWoW releases and is a masterpiece that redeems any shortcomings AffC and DwD are perceived to have right now.

Looking forward to the heaping servings of crow to go around once TWoW releases and is a masterpiece that redeems any shortcomings AffC and DwD are perceived to have right now.

"The problem with TWOW is that it is almost too good, making AFFC & ADWD look even worse by comparison. Ol' Georgie drops the ball again."

Ew, too fantasy for me.

I'm with you man. I wish they'd left dragons out the show too. The less boring, vanilla fantasy tropes, the better.

Seriously though, show Euron sucks so badly, I wouldn't be opposed to him being killed off
by Victarion
during his next scene.

Shahadan

Show Euron looks like this annoying smelly drunk guy at the bar who never knows when it's time to leave and sometimes starts a fight.

duckroll

Show Euron looks like Theon's uncle, in the literal sense. He looks like what you would expect if someone told you that Theon's dad had an annoying brother who no one wanted around for years now. He's that annoying uncle with a pot belly who talks shit all the time and no one takes seriously.

If that's what they're going for with the character on the show, well, they nailed it. Lol.

Show Euron looks like Theon's uncle, in the literal sense. He looks like what you would expect if someone told you that Theon's dad had an annoying brother who no one wanted around for years now. He's that annoying uncle with a pot belly who talks shit all the time and no one takes seriously.

If that's what they're going for with the character on the show, well, they nailed it. Lol.

They should have just got Keith Allen instead.

HMD

I'm with you man. I wish they'd left dragons out the show too. The less boring, vanilla fantasy tropes, the better.

Seriously though, show Euron sucks so badly, I wouldn't be opposed to him being killed off
by Victarion
during his next scene.

The dragons are a miracle in that universe. Pirates with magical glowing armour doesn't sound too appealing for me though. I already hate the children and the wights.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Are people going to turn this LSH thing into another thread-wide avatar bet?
Everyone would vote against. It wouldn't be an exciting bet.

A better one would be on whether Gendry will ever reappear, but it could still take 2 years for the bet to be realized.

I don't mind they toned down the fantasy, Roose was a much better fit for the show than the book fantasy vampire

Not a vampire. Possible skin changer, though.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's all they introduced him to be, but I really hope he does some serious grinding in the off season to level up real quick to match the level of horror in the books.

Because the books ended in 2011.

The sooner people accept this, the sooner we can move on to a fantasy series that actually finishes on time once GoT ends.

I'm gonna be very sad if three years from now we'll still have an ASOIAF thread where the few remaining book fans wait for TWOW to come out "Any day now!"

I have come to just accept the fact that the book won't come out on any timeline we theorize or make up. It will be done when it's done so let's enjoy the show and be happy that no matter what happens on the book side, we'll at least get some sure resolution to this story.

grandjedi6

Winds of Winter will eventually come out. Still got two more seasons of the show to motivate GRRM.

However A Time for Wolves/A Dream of Spring will never see the light of day. At least not a GRRM written one. I suppose eventually someone else will gain control of his estate and pull a Dune on the franchise. Can't wait for that fourth prequel based on Ulthos in 2052!

Paganmoon

I could see someone like Daniel Abraham getting the nod to finish the final book, if it came to that.

I don't see that happening, considering GRRM has said that no one but him will ever finish the book (even if he passes before it's finished).

Though I wouldn't mind Daniel Abraham finishing the book, really enjoyed Dragon and the Coin, and loved The long price quartet.

I don't see that happening, considering GRRM has said that no one but him will ever finish the book (even if he passes before it's finished).

Though I wouldn't mind Daniel Abraham finishing the book, really enjoyed Dragon and the Coin, and loved The long price quartet.

Yeah, George may very well have it setup that no one will be able to touch it should anything happen (which I shall add that I hope he has a lovely length of age!)

Daniel just seems like a solid option, on the other hand, as he and George have done quite a bit together as it is, and Daniel is the writer for the Game of Thrones comics.

Henkka

Banned
Winds of Winter will eventually come out. Still got two more seasons of the show to motivate GRRM.

However A Time for Wolves/A Dream of Spring will never see the light of day. At least not a GRRM written one. I suppose eventually someone else will gain control of his estate and pull a Dune on the franchise. Can't wait for that fourth prequel based on Ulthos in 2052!

TWOW is probably coming out in a year or so. ADOS, I don't see why not, if takes another 5-6 years... I don't think GRRM is on death's door or anything like that.

The big problem is, what if TWOW becomes so long he has to split it again? He already moved the climaxes of ADWD to the beginning of TWOW, greatly increasing it's length. If he decides he needs three books, not two, to finish the series, then we're in trouble.

TWOW is probably coming out in a year or so. ADOS, I don't see why not, if takes another 5-6 years... I don't think GRRM is on death's door or anything like that.

The big problem is, what if TWOW becomes so long he has to split it again? He already moved the climaxes of ADWD to the beginning of TWOW, greatly increasing it's length. If he decides he needs three books, not two, to finish the series, then we're in trouble.
Good points all around. I think he's got plenty of time to finish 6 and 7 and wrap it up there. If he feels he needs an 8th, I just don't see the passing of time working in his favor. :/

grandjedi6

Sadly, the dead can't complain. Eventually GRRM's estate will fall to someone who doesn't give a fuck and just wants the $$$.

Of course he'll split it. There's still way too much story to cover. Even the TV show, which is slashing and burning every stray plot it can, can't finish this stuff in 7 seasons. Even if Winds of Winter releases just fine, A Dream of Spring will just be split then.

To note, I'm not predicting GRRM to die young either. He could live to be 100. But the older he gets, the harder it'll be for him to write these novels. But I've accepted that. GRRM should write whatever he wants and do whatever he wants. He doesn't owe the fanbase anything just because we all want to know what traumatic death our favorite characters will suffer.

CloudWolf

I'm in this camp. Winds of Winter will probably release sometime in the next two-three years, it's the last book I'm worried about. Not because I believe GRRM will die before releasing it, but because I think GRRM will lose interest.

I really do hope George get's to deliver his vision for the ending of the series. It's his life's work and I'm happy he's gotten recognition for it in recent years. But I can only imagine disappointment that some of his ideas are being delivered by someone else.

However I do wish we got a more faithful adaptation. The TV series will always be the version remembered and it fails to convey many themes and nuances of the books. I do feel that the final two books will largely different from the end series.

Personally, I don't think the series ending will satisfy me. The series doesn't capture the spirit of the books and has become a popcorn TV series, albeit a fantastic one.

hoos30

Good luck with that. GRRM has lost the plot. If TWOW is ever released, I think the odds of it being on a quality level with the earlier books it's fairly low.

Moff

Good luck with that. GRRM has lost the plot. If TWOW is ever released, I think the odds of it being on a quality level with the earlier books it's fairly low.

if GRRM follows roughly D&D's outlines for season 6 it might be a fairly exciting book again, of course that will never change what a loveless drag the 2000 pages of AFFC/ADWD were.

hoos30

I really do hope George get's to deliver his vision for the ending of the series. It's his life's work and I'm happy he's gotten recognition for it in recent years. But I can only imagine disappointment that some of his ideas are being delivered by someone else.

However I do wish we got a more faithful adaptation. The TV series will always be the version remembered and it fails to convey many themes and nuances of the books. I do feel that the final two books will largely different from the end series.

Personally, I don't think the series ending will satisfy me. The series doesn't capture the spirit of the books and has become a popcorn TV series, albeit a fantastic one.

You could never see a "faithful" adaptation of this series...it would not make economic sense. A longer, slower, more expensive version targeted at a smaller audience. What company wants to sign up for that?

FootballFan

Dorne and the Iron Isles slowed AFFC down, yet it also had some decent Jaime chapters. As for ADWD, it was generally really well written, and also had that amazing Davos chapter.

AGOT - 10/10
ACOK - 9/10
ASOS - 10/10
AFFC - 7/10
ADWD 9/10

The northern chapters save ADWD from a lower score.

Dorne and the Iron Isles slowed AFFC down, yet it also had some decent Jaime chapters. As for ADWD, it was generally really well written, and also had that amazing Davos chapter.

AGOT - 10/10
ACOK - 9/10
ASOS - 10/10
AFFC - 7/10
ADWD 9/10

The northern chapters save ADWD from a lower score.
I like these ratings and I feel it is pretty close to how I would rate them

NeoGiff

U1Nhy12.gif

Ratrat

GoT 9/10
CoK 9/10
SoS 10/10
FfC 8/10
DwD 7/10

Feast is underrated. It's thematically consistent with only a few chapters that were unnecesary(It would have been a perfect breather if Dance had released 2 years later as primised and been the return to SoS pacing people thought it would, with that title). But DwD is a mess with some great high points but feels cobbled together with stuff that would have been better in Feast or Winds. Plus its missing stuff that was moved to the next book.

Moff

Rating time!

AGOT 10
ACOK 8
ASOS 10
AFFC 5
ADWD 6

would be how I'd rate them

the first three books are straight up the best fantasy I ever read
I have to say that I did not read them on release, I read all of them in the midlate 2000s so I dipped into AFFC right after and I was incredibly disappointed. I actually dropped the book during one of the Brienne chapters and picked it up again and forced myself through a few weeks before the ADWD release.

AFFC made me fear that GRRM might have lost his touch and ADWD all but confirmed that, even if it was slightly better. He has just written himself in a complete mess and his current lack of writing and motivation does not make me optimistic TWOW will be any better. Even if Season 6 of the show promises some exciting plotlines which might be even better in the books.

Yep. Jon isn't getting rezzed until at least midway through TWOW.

Basically Jon this season took Stannis' plot from the books.

We know the pink letter is fake because a) GRRM said Stannis was alive and (b) D & D said Stannis burns Shireen.

Melisandre also has to be the one to convince Stannis to burn Shireen so this means that most likely the Boltons lose, Stannis wins and so Melisandre comes to Winterfell, LS is the one that rezzes Jon's corpse at the wall, then the Others break through and besiege Winterfell and then Stannis burns Shireen somewhere in ADOS (because let's be honest it took Melisandre several chapters to push Stannis near the edge of burning Edric, it should take at least as long to convince to burn Shireen)

There's also D & D saying that season 6 bears little resemblance to what will happen in the books so something major must've changed here and I'm willing to bet that's the Northern storyline.

In this case, it's actually the show spinning it's wheels by having Jon do the same thing that Stannis could've should've canonically done last season in the last episode which is taking Winterfell from the Boltons.

If you re-read the fourth and fifth book enough times like I have, figure out what GRRM is trying to set up with each chapter and read a lot of the smarter people who analyze ASOIAF, you can pick up on the break crumbs.

Yes, Jon will become the new king in the north, yes he will hook up with Daenerys, yes Daenerys will die and yes Arya will too. And yes Sansa and Bran will survive until the end.

LS will kill LF and steal his teleporter.
It is known.

Hystzen

AFFC is better then DWD due to fact it doesn't waffle on about clothes and Tyrion repeating same shit over and over (who cares about where whores go). At least AFFC gave us insight into Cersei and wrapped up most of Riverlands plot and kings landing (well some of it). Gave Brienne actual purpose and plot the only shit stuff was Dorne like always. DWD just stalled to a halt everything Meeren,Tyrion and Dany. I don't even remember half of it apart from "ohh Daario I want sex but I must not have sex" at least Aegon, Jon and Stannis where interesting.

Ratrat

Have the people rating Feast and Dance ridiculously low tried rereading them? I appreciated both a lot more on a reread without the crazy expectations of where it would go.

Tacitus_

I must be one of the rare few here who liked the Dorne stuff in AFFC :lol

Too bad that Cersei couldn't save that book on her own though. Brienne the Boring zzzz

GorillaJu

They're usually really good with casting, but here it's straight up bad. The writing isn't doing him any favors either, though.

Clear differences? I disagree. He's almost exactly the same. Maybe like slightly more aggressive? That's about all I can come up with. His biggest change is the haircut and light armor to medium armor upgrade.

I really like the way the show casted some of the awful character designs in the books. Euron in the show actually looks like he fits in the same universe as characters like Ned Stark. Then you have stuff like Dario, who is supposed to have like a three-pronged rainbow color goatee, but was transformed into someone you could actually understand a woman finding attractive. Show Euron isn't really the same person as book Euron, that much is apparent. And that's fine with me.

I just wonder how the hell they thought the bad pussies were worth any screen time outside of the 10 seconds the hot one's tits were peeping through the jail bars.

AGOT 8/10
ACOK 6/10
ASOS 9/10
AFFC 3/10
ADWD 3/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom