• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tree trunks? Both sides have archers and were prepared for long range battle right? This is the North. There's nothing but mountains and wildness on the way to Winterfell. Why not just stock up on huge boulders and have Wunwun start off by acting as a super catapult?

They do though. Have you played Overwatch?

Ramsay must of had the alternate costume on cuz I could barely hear the ultimate.

Cromwell

Banned
Tree trunks? Both sides have archers and were prepared for long range battle right? This is the North. There's nothing but mountains and wildness on the way to Winterfell. Why not just stock up on huge boulders and have Wunwun start off by acting as a super catapult?

Exactly. He probably could even out-range the archers. Two boulders and they'd all fucking rout.

I think D&D just wanted that moment at the end with Wun Wun shot through the eye by Ramsay and fuck whatever gaps in logic it took to get there. I would have preferred if when Jon asked, Wun Wun somehow expressed through broken english that he's tired of fighting and just wants to relax, and then they have an intimate stare at each other and Jon goes off with Tormund. When the Vale shows up they conveniently have some kind of battering ram to open Winterfell.

duckroll

You're expecting logic from a show written by lazy fucks that survive on conveniences.

Yeah okay.

- Works hard on pitch to secure a deal with the author for the rights and a greenlight from HBO

- Delivers a critically acclaimed and commercially successful fantasy TV series for 6 years running

- The only HBO series to gain viewership season on season for 6 years

- Works non-stop to manage logistics of an insane number of factors all year round from pre-production to shooting

- Keeps hundreds of people employed

- Called "lazy fucks" on the internet

Fucking lol.

It's fine to debate about a show and how certain elements are disappointing or could have been better, but I think we're better than doing name calling.

Cromwell

Banned
D&D are the polar opposite of lazy, they likely work their fucking asses off, they just aren't the greatest writers in the world. It's not a big deal. I like the show a lot, I just wish it kept up the quality of it's first few seasons and didn't rely on bluntness and contrivance so much.

dabig2

The Wun Wun thing is flat out ridiculous. They just don't want you to think about how badly they handled that. In Hardhome he completely demolished about a hundred zombies or whatever with a tree trunk, barely had a scratch on him.

If Jon had any intelligence at all he would have formulated a battle plan around Wun Wun wielding a tree trunk, of which there's a ton of different ways to do it. The only real threats to him are archers, pikes, and cavalry and even the archers can basically become a non-threat to him if he's carrying something that can block the arrows.

If Sansa would have told Jon about the Vale, all he has to do is use their calvalry to flank the archers and use his own men to take out the cavalry. And then Wun Wun could just wipe the floor with literally every single infantryman including the pikemen with the tree trunk he used in Hardhome. Even with Jon rushing out to save Rickon they still would have utterly annihilated Ramsay if Wun Wun would have had a weapon. It's a game changer. I loved the battle scene but the contrivance to get it to play out like it did is really annoying.

It was a fantastically shot and tense battle, but all of this. The way the show used him was horrible. He was the single most hyped thing for me when it came to this battle, and he was massively underutilized. It's like Captain America telling the Hulk NOT to smash but to instead sit on the street somewhere and point out the enemies for everyone else. It's like the having the only shot of the Hulk during the entire 30 minute battle be that random 5 second scene of him being showered by alien gun blasts.

Black_Sun

Yeah okay.

- Works hard on pitch to secure a deal with the author for the rights and a greenlight from HBO

- Delivers a critically acclaimed and commercially successful fantasy TV series for 6 years running

- Works non-stop to manage logistics of an insane number of factors all year round from pre-production to shooting

Fucking lol.

It's fine to debate about a show and how certain elements are disappointing or could have been better, but I think we're better than doing name calling.

They're lazy writers who think their audience won't give a fuck and pander to the dragons and tits crowd

SpaceWolf

Banned
Yeah okay.

Fucking lol.

Yep.

Whether or not you happen to enjoy the direction the show has taken, resorting to name-calling two strangers you haven't even met is pretty damn pathetic.

Also, there's a certain irony that comes with calling these guys "lazy", even though they've undoubtedly achieved far, far more with their lives than most people in this thread ever will.

fanboi

Banned
Last ep predictions.

As a turn of events the Iron Islands will hold a referendum of independence from the seven kingdoms, the vilest campaign since Aegons Days is seen.

In the end Isisexit is a fact.

CloudWolf

I just realized something. If GRRM doesn't finish TWoW in two years, the entire show will have been released in the time it took GRRM to write the sixth book.

Elandyll

Banned
Sansa didn't know the Vale was coming? She called for help, that's it.
And?

She asks Jon to wait, and not tell him the one reason he might wait for, whether LF is actually coming or not?

(Visibly he was)

Their discussion post battle should be interesting.

Imo it's simple: Either they F'ed up her character, or they wrote the script to allow for a desperate battle with a Gandalf the White moment last minute save. Not sure which would be worse, but I guess at least it was visually effective.

blackjaw

Yeah okay.

Fucking lol.

This.

My wife hates fantasy but GoT hooked her from the first season. If only they made things less entertaining for the masses and only catered to us book nerds, I'm sure the show would still be in season 6 and successful ... #lazywriters

KahooTs

Your family member is in danger guys, I doubt logic and reason will dictate you wait to strategize when you know you are dealing with a psychopath who rapes, tortures, murders, and castrates. Not to mention murders babies. With a fucking smile.

But Sansa had given up on Rickon and was advocating to wait and for Jon to act rationally, just without giving the reason that would have made it logical for him to do so. Which is why it would make no sense that Sansa did this on purpose to kill off Jon's force, as she was pushing him not to fight now. And Jon's reasoning for not waiting was logical, that there was no reason to expect they'd ever have more men.

They do though. Have you played Overwatch?

If only the watch were equipped with giant blades on a chain they could have given to Wun Wun and had him spin around like a giant lawnmower at the Bolton forces.

wall-slice.gif

Moff

I think there are many different factors

they started out with a pretty faithful adaption and one of the few scenes they wrote themselves in season 1, the scene between robert and cersei was absolutely excellent and a true highlight

then they wanted to do their own thing and noticed that people especially loved the twists and brutal massacres. the show became notorious for it's unexpected deaths and they started to make the show about that first and foremost and the more they did the more successful the show became. it's a huge pop phenomenon by now, there are reaction videos to every episode. it's really not hard to guess why they made the show what it is today. sure, there is a lot of dumb stuff in it, but I'd bet a lot that the show would nowhere near the success of today if they faithfully adapted AFFC and ADWD.

GorillaJu

They're lazy writers who think their audience won't give a fuck and pander to the dragons and tits crowd

I really wish the word "lazy" was just replaced with something silly on NeoGaf. Like maybe "lovely"

Pretty sure people on this forum have no idea what the word "lazy" even means.

Neifirst

I think there are many different factors

they started out with a pretty faithful adaption and one of the few scenes they wrote themselves in season 1, the scene between robert and cersei was absolutely excellent and a true highlight

then they wanted to do their own thing and noticed that people especially loved the twists and brutal massacres. the show became notorious for it's unexpected deaths and they started to make the show about that first and foremost and the more they did the more successful the show became. it's a huge pop phenomenon by now, there are reaction videos to every episode. it's really not hard to guess why they made the show what it is today. sure, there is a lot of dumb stuff in it, but I'd bet a lot that the show would nowhere near the success of today if they faithfully adapted AFFC and ADWD.

I'm rewatching season 2 right now and the dialogue between Tywin & Arya, and Tyrion & everyone else at King's Landing is just. so. good. Tense at times, hilarious at others, but the writers also had completed source material to draw from. Now they're stuck drawing from a bullet point list of where characters are planned to end up and having to fill in the details. Those are some pretty difficult constraints and I doubt that's what they wanted.

Sansa didn't tell Jon about her letter to little finger because D&D wanted the cliched shot of the Knights of the Vale charging in to save them. It didn't have shit to do with the plot or characters.

Apt101

Sansa didn't tell Jon about her letter to little finger because D&D wanted the cliched shot of the Knights of the Vale charging in to save them. It didn't have shit to do with the plot or characters.

In the books Sansa and Jon have been juxtapositions to one another, with GRRM dropping both subtle and blunt hints that they were gravitating towards each other in thinking, and even yearning for one another (not in a sexual sense). In the show it's just a bunch of shit happening, yadda yadda yadda, then they embrace and charge off to save the North.

But about The Vale troops appearing: viewer-only crowd eats up this really basic, easy to understand symbolism and repetitive themes. D & D are just playing to the crowd.

They probably tried to do that, beta tested it, and Ramsay players all complained. Dat Wunwun nerf... :(
:(

You know, it would have been nice to have seen Boton forces have some sort of reaction to seeing a fucking giant for the first time.

The denizens of King's Landing are just going to shrug like Alan Partridge when they have dragons flying over their heads.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Exactly. He probably could even out-range the archers. Two boulders and they'd all fucking rout.

I think D&D just wanted that moment at the end with Wun Wun shot through the eye by Ramsay and fuck whatever gaps in logic it took to get there. I would have preferred if when Jon asked, Wun Wun somehow expressed through broken english that he's tired of fighting and just wants to relax, and then they have an intimate stare at each other and Jon goes off with Tormund. When the Vale shows up they conveniently have some kind of battering ram to open Winterfell.

Too bad they didn't save the giant bow and arrow that was used in the assault against the wall. I guess the other giants' gear doesn't manifest into loot drops on kill.

Real Hero

:(

You know, it would have been nice to have seen Boton forces have some sort of reaction to seeing a fucking giant for the first time.

The denizens of King's Landing are just going to shrug like Alan Partridge when they have dragons flying over their heads.

thats true actually, where was the bolton's 'they have a fucking giant!!!!'

I'm sure it wont be the case come sunday but in my mind Sansa didn't tell Jon because she needed Ramsey to believe he'd won. I think they oversold the amount of cavalry from the Vale for this plot bit to work but imagine Sansa knows LF is coming but in order for their flanking maneuver to work effectively Ramsey needs to have his foot soldiers exposed....does he send them out like he did if Jon holds back? Which he'd likely do if he knew the Vale was coming. Or does Ramsey win the battle if the Vale lines up with the Wildlings at the same time?

Sansa desperately implores Jon to not make a stupid mistake earlier in the episode. I think this was her trying to save his life while also not trusting him to not give away her battle plan had she told him the Vale was coming. The scene after the battle where she sees Jon running after Ramsey they focused in on her face and to me it was a look of shame and relief (that he was still alive) because she would have preferred to tell him but knew his hot headedness or simple nature (strategically) would have given the battle plan away

Ishan

If only the watch were equipped with giant blades on a chain they could have given to Wun Wun and had him spin around like a giant lawnmower at the Bolton forces.

wall-slice.gif
He had that would mean all those archers would aim and down him immediately . Wun wun being a major threat to the strategy would be neutralised immediately with archers . He's not made of magic

There is a strategic trade off on how effective he is and how much of a target he is

Sansa would have looked a fool if she told Jon to wait because she sent a raven to Littlefinger, only for him to not show up at all. Her not telling Jon makes perfect sense.

If Sansa knew he was coming it was stupid. If she didn't then it wasn't really stupid because Jon had to make the move because otherwise they risk Ramsay pulling a sneak attack again. Even if they were undermanned.

Lothar

Banned
Sansa would have looked a fool if she told Jon to wait because she sent a raven to Littlefinger, only for him to not show up at all. Her not telling Jon makes perfect sense.

They should have sent out some scouts to see if they were coming or not. Even if they shouldn't have waited, she still should have told them about it. There hasn't been any good explanation for why she would keep it hidden.

Whether Littlerfinger was coming without Sansa asking is irrelevant.

Sansa should have told Jon & co he was an option and laid out what Littlefinger would be expecting in return and they could have agreed on a plan. Sansa straight up tells Jon that Rickon is a gonner, so they knew going into that fight they were risking all those lives just to get back a castle. I think if they were given the option they'd choose to tango with Littlefinger than go it alone.

If she was worried that Jon wouldn't understand then she could have expressed those feelings, if she thought Littlefinger would run circles around them and wind up on top she could have said it, if she didn't want to let the guy who sold her to a rapist back into her life she could have told Jon and so on and so forth.

why didn't Rickon when he was far enough just dodge the arrows. he could have stopped and seen them coming, wait for Jon and all is good.

Uh, I can't say I've ever had to dodge an arrow before, but I imagine it's pretty fucking hard to do... Especially considering a single arrow, at long distance, from a skilled archer.

It's not like Garden State.

Branduil

Uh, I can't say I've ever had to dodge an arrow before, but I imagine it's pretty fucking hard to do... Especially considering a single arrow, at long distance, from a skilled archer.

It's not like Garden State.

No more hard than playing dodgeball at 100 yards.

Bows are effective either as part of a large group of archers launching volleys of deadly arrows, or for silently sniping something that doesn't notice you. For killing someone trying to avoid you on the other side of an empty plain they'd be an extremely shit weapon.

Forkball

Everyone calls this a "dragons and tits" show, yet the nudity has been pretty light this year. We saw Mel, some Volantis prostitutes, Bianca, and Dany kind of. I mean are they trying anymore?

Corpekata

Banned
It doesn't matter. Ramsay is a cruel fuck and had a ton of archers. If his little game had failed Rickon would have just become a pin cushion.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Okay i'm not a big fan of the series so it was weird to dream about it. I dreamed that the finale was horrible and I was mad why it was worse than the previous episodes in the season. I was also furious about the cliffhanger. I don't remember if I posted on GAF but I remember talking my frustration to someone but I also don't remember who. I think it was my wife but she doesn't watch the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom