• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabig2

Seems like massacre.

The Reach + Dorne + Unsullied + Ironborn + Dragons + Sellswords versus the Lannisters sound like a massacre

The Reach by themselves could take the Lannisters.

The only thing that could make this interesting is if the actual Book Euron and his role showed up for the story

Honestly, I'm surprised that King's Landing itself isn't in a civil war. It's pretty obvious to even the commoner that Cersei just usurped the throne and killed off the only people the commoners actually liked - the High Sparrow and Margaery. And with Mace there, what happened to his army? Did they leave with Olenna?

Also, Randall Tarly should have been at the doorstep of KL by now too. His liege lords were just decimated. Instead of Dorne and the sandsnakes, Olenna should have been treating with Randall the boss. I really hope we get to see more of him next season and that he isn't only tied to Sam's plot in Oldtown (unless it's destroying Euron's Ironborn who may be attacking the city).

Saya

I wish some more time was spent on the Frey Pies and Arya's travels to Westeros and infiltration of the keep. It was kinda brushed off so quickly. She could've done that in earlier episodes.

Apt101

Dany + Dorne means the south will fall. So I guess next season will rush towards Jon meeting Dany somewhere in the middle. And dealing with Sansa and Baelish.

Shit man. I am so looking forward to next season.

Black_Sun

It hasn't been mentioned at all in the show, but Stannis remnants still control Storms end as of book 5.

I'm sure DD will just yada yada it away as usual though.

Yeah I had to spend 5 minutes explaining it to my parents tonight. They really screwed up going for drama + suspense over actually explaining the context for casual viewers.

Yep. I had to explain it to my cousin and uncle too. They weren't sure what was happening or what any of it meant.

So they kinda bungled this for the casual watchers

Vyer

mistakes were made
wYdXV3S.gif

0Ew40kD.gif

Black_Sun

God that was so fucking good. The opening 15 minutes was possibly the best sequence the show has ever done, seriously jaw dropping. Not just as a plot moment - the sheer audacity of killing that many major characters in one fell swoop - but the craft at play. The music, editing, pace. Just fucking masterful.

I talk shit about the show a lot but even I loved that sequence. The best thing about it is that I think that it was a show creation and you usually those suck but in this case, it was actually a pretty good one. Best part of the episode imo.

Vespene

Hmm. Maybe the sword along with the discovery of new knowledge lets him figure out some way to smith new Valyrian steel swords, and thus wield everyone with the capability to actually fight the WW's.

Not bad.

I've always assumed Valyrian steel was made off smelted dragon bones, hence why both have black polish (in the book). Once he figures this out, he'll raven it to King's Landing where the Dany + Stark super team would be gathered after taking out cersei. Dany would be like "I ain't killing my dragons to make swords." Cut to Arya "you need dragon bones? I know where to find them" with Varys smiling while raising a Spock eyebrow.

Sheroking

Yep. I had to explain it to my cousin and uncle too. They weren't sure what was happening or what any of it meant.

So they kinda bungled this for the casual watchers

No, they really didn't.

Show watchers didn't need you to provide context. All they HAD to know was that Jon was Lyanna's son, not Ned's. They would probably get a more complete explanation next year without your help.

Yeah I legit feel really bad for Tommen. Completely abused all throughout his life :(

I believe we get Jaime's redemption arc starting now. He's probably going to side with Tyrion and not aid her.

duckroll

My God. That was a finale. Miguel Sapochnik and Jack Bender absolutely owned this season. It started off rough with the worst opening episode in possibly the entire series, and took awhile to get going, but once it hit The Door, other than a misstep in No One, it's been going strong, and the last two episodes were really spectacular. The framing of the shots in the finale were really beautiful. Great transitions too. Loved the haunting music tracks at the beginning and end.

The Arya Pie stuff felt like total fanservice though. I guess we have to assume that most of her Braavos stuff happened much earlier, and she has possibly been back in Westeros for a while now? That's the only way to really explain it. It's not unusual that one character's story arc doesn't take place along the exact same timeline, but it was definitely odd placement.

Lady Mormont continues to be the MVP of the North. What would Jon do without her? I think he has found his future wife right there. Sorry Dany, but... the North remembers!

This shot of Dorne is probably my favorite visual scene in the entire episode, of which there were a ton of great scenes. That's how I wanted every scene of Dorne to look like in the series, but alas, it seems only some directors can nail it. So pretty. I loved how the Bad Pussies were told to stfu too. Lol!

The Citadel stuff with Sam was OMG. Totally didn't expect that given that we're at the end of the season, but they fucking did it. The white city of Oldtown, the great Citadel of the Maesters, the library. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. So good.

So now we have Cersei as Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. Eventually we'll probably have Sansa as Queen of the North when Jon finds some excuse to bail out, maybe when Bran tells him his true parentage. We have the matriarch of Highgarden, the bad pussies of Dorne, and the mother of dragons all in one team. Season 7 is definitely shaping up to be a War of Queens.

Sheroking

I also love how that Dorne scene absolutely TASTES of D&D acknowleding Dorne has sucked.

They kept it crazy short and they gave us the fan service of having Olenna completely shut down the SS.

jabuseika

The Citadel stuff with Sam was OMG. Totally didn't expect that given that we're at the end of the season, but they fucking did it. The white city of Oldtown, the great Citadel of the Maesters, the library. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. So good.

I completely thought they were going to show some little tiny library.

But the show redeemed itself.

Nice little touch on the chains on each book.

Over all, best season ending in the series.

...and it's up there in the top 5 episodes for me.

Brakke

Banned
I never really thought of it until it was on screen but the Citadel as ivory tower is a little on the nose.

So other than being Queen mother, what claim does Cersei have to the throne? Just being the most powerful force in KL?

Being the most powerful force in KL has always been the only claim that matters.

Jon stark = geralt of rivia confirmed?

Also, Jaime totally sees the Mad King in Cersei huh? Seeing the exploded Sept and then her...oh boy

Ooo dis gun b good

Black_Sun

No, they really didn't.

Show watchers didn't need you to provide context. All they HAD to know was that Jon was Lyanna's son, not Ned's. They would probably get a more complete explanation next year without your help.

People didn't even get that baby was supposed to be Jon Snow and some people forgot who is who.

Like Insaid I had to explain not only the Rargar part but the Lyanna part too

Madouu

Jaime kills Cersei and then heads north to duel Tortmund for his one true love Brienne.

Sansa makes a new cape for Littlefinger, she makes him promise to wear it as a token of love for her. It looks so ridiculous that nobody takes him seriously anymore, Lord Baelish out.

Meli retires from sorcery & magic and opens up a life coaching service. The hound is her first client, she explains to him that fire actually only hurts if he gets too close to it by making him walk on burning coal. Empowered by this revelation, he defeats the mountain in a UFC style cage surrounded by flames.

Not one to be one-upped by his brother and his friends from beyond the wall, Bran crosses the wall and brings even more friends with him. He then equips his VR set for one last time and says goodbye to the real world.

Daenerys & Jon soon become raven penpals upon her arrival. It is soon discovered though that it was ser hypeman davos that was actually writing the letters and the relationship quickly crumbles.

Ser Jerah Mormont has failed his quest and is now a Goron.

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah Daario is effectively off the show now. Maybe a scene here or there similar to Dorne, but I don't expect to see him much at all, unless he abandons his post.

MAYBE if Jorah does find a cure and he heads back to Mireen and then Daario sends him on his way. That's about it.

NimbusD

Fun episode but really hammy direction in order to get really silly staged shots. It worked for the opening but made the whole episode feel like a weird surreal montage. Shots like cersei on the throne and a slow zoom out while everyone just stands there silent, could be a strong shot, but with an episode where every scene has a shot like that, it feels silly and hammy.

I've given up long ago on this show even attempting to honor distance and time.

I also remain disappointing by how this season failed to meaningfully build new relationships. Tyrion being Dany's hand doesn't feel earned, the northmen declaring for Jon doesn't feel earned, the red woman being sent off doesn't feel earned (becuase she sat out this whole season after reviving jon, it took them forever to even have an anemic conversation about his Resurrection, let alone ever give an initial justification for resurrecting him). So I feel like a lot of, what could have been, great moments just came off cliche because there wasn't enough characterization to justify what was happening. It's just hitting the beats.

duckroll

Another one of my favorite scenes in the finale, this time for the camera work doing visual narrative:

When Jon and Sansa first meet, they're clearly framed to be divided. There is something separating them, which in the scene is the lack of trust because she didn't tell him about the knights of the Vale.

They each get a chance to open the dialogue on their own terms, and it's beautifully framed to show their individual identities against the backdrop.

As Sansa apologizes for not telling Jon, they grow closer and the shots begin to include the other subject in the frame as well, but out of focus.

Jon accepts what Sansa says and begins to walk towards her, bringing them close together.

Finally we see the two in a single frame in focus, with Sansa as the subject of the shot.

And Jon embraces her, reuniting the two again, resolving their differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom