• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
That gotta be one of the best episodes of the show. There's a lot of classic show fuckery and bullshit, but overall I'm pretty satisfied with that.

That said, clearly the show has gone on a completely different/original path for pretty much every single plotline (personally little makes sense of what just transpired in terms of the books), so I hope people shut the hell up already about how D&D have/are following the exact outline of the entire story from GRRM.

Has this been mentioned before?

Jeremy Podeswa confirms that S7 will be 7 episodes long and that he will be returning as a director.

Man are they really doing this bullshit? I'm really disappointed with HBO.

Lautaro

If Cersei keeps using her brain then she should offer her hand to the lord that brings her more military victories, that should rally some houses (maybe even Euron).

Also use the fear of the dothraki (and maybe the iron born) that come with Daenerys, I figure they won't give a shit about their leaders prohibiting rape and pillage.

Burt

So are there any behind the scenes videos/articles that talk about preproduction and planning for this season? Because whoever it was that took the chainsaw to the overgrown mess of last season and cleaned it up for this one deserves a raise. Shit, might as well put them in charge of all of HBO's programming with the way things are trending.

Tommen's suicide is going to be used as an "abandon thread" gif.

xT0GqiJ0eC5Nia7eZq.gif

Cromwell

Banned
That gotta be one of the best episodes of the show. There's a lot of classic show fuckery and bullshit, but overall I'm pretty satisfied with that.

That said, clearly the show has gone on a completely different/original path for pretty much every single plotline (personally little makes sense of what just transpired in terms of the books), so I hope people shut the hell up already about how D&D have/are following the exact outline of the entire story from GRRM.

Blame Breaking Bad and Mad Men for starting the trend. Gotta ride that shit out as long as possible, HBO doesn't have anything to fill the gaping void GoT is going to leave when it ends.

Saya

Great episode! The direction was top-notch.

We better get some amazing battles next season. Some kind of field of fire battle with all three dragons burning Lannister armies.

Hopefully Bran can make it back to Winterfell asap.

Ya know I'm kinda salty that Jon got named king and Sansa didn't. Like, Winterfell is hers. They spent the whole season building up to her retaking her birthright only for her to get shafted by someone who has no claim. Only because he's Ned Stark's "son".

Keep on screwing the women over, D&D.
2/3 of the most powerful people in westeros are women, offended for the sake of it man.

BlueWord

I think that the show will go like this :

Dany invades, Cersei wants to burn it all before giving Kings Landing to her, Jamie kills her like he did with the Mad King.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking too. Particularly since he's technically younger than her (born second) it would fulfill the prophecy. I assume he'll probably die in the process, somehow, but maybe not.

Hound has to overcome his fear of fire to overcome Gregor. Thinking Mel plays into that somehow, maybe introducing him to Rhlorr? Arya is going to have to confront her conflicted feelings about killing him, too. Seems pretty clear she won't, and that will set her on a different path. Also expecting Nymeria to make an appearance.

Sam isn't going to have time to get his chain, I think. He'll find that one book The Death of Dragons and learn something that will necessitate his swift return to Westeros – thinking it's related to the dragons and, by extension, whatever happened at Valyria. If the white walkers are the extreme/evil of ice, I think whatever happened at Valyria is probably the opposite. Probably learn more about that from Jorah's plotline in Asshai.

What else? Betting Littlefinger tries to play his games against Jon and gets burned real hard by Sansa. Don't think he's going to make it to the endgame. Bran is going to bring down the wall (why Benjen? Why?) and that will delay any meeting with Jon/Sansa. Not sure when/if he's going to make it home to Winterfell.

Dany does her thing in Dorne. Not sure how Euron ties in – maybe he sides with Cersei?

I guess it will be Cersei & Euron vs. Dany?

Meanwhile the North will be contending with Littlefinger & Sweetrobin?

Loose plotlines abound in the background with Jorah/Sam/Arya.

Then Season 7 Part II will be White Walkers all the time?

That's my sense of it anyway.

2/3 of the most powerful people in westeros are women, offended for the sake of it man.

I mean, as a woman, my perception of it is different from yours. Not trying to say that my poInt of view is better or more important, so sorry if this comes off that way. But I've experienced things that make this a bigger issue for me than it may be for you. It doesn't mean you're wrong, just that we're on different sides of the issue. If that makes sense.

It's more than it just being an issue of "2/3 of the women in Westeros are in positions of authority"; there are a lot of societal and cultural issues lying underneath it all that I don't agree with, and Sansa's treatment deals with a lot of them.

Kaizer

Banned

Idk man, if this means potentially that the overall budget for each episode is higher than previous seasons due to the shorter season length, we could be in for some pretty epic episodes to come next year!

jett

D-Member
Makes sense lol

Man this is one of the things this show is just the worst at LOL. Clearly no fucks are given when it comes to making sense out of travelling around this world.

Idk man, if this means potentially that the overall budget for each episode is higher than previous seasons due to the shorter season length, we could be in for some pretty epic episodes to come next year!

Creative call. HBO wanted 20 more eps, D/D apparently are saying only 13, but I suspect they'll end up w/ 14.

I have plenty of experience watching shows that do this. They're only stretching it out. Don't expect every episode to suddenly be some Battle of the Bastards insanity.

Blame Breaking Bad and Mad Men for starting the trend. Gotta ride that shit out as long as possible, HBO doesn't have anything to fill the gaping void GoT is going to leave when it ends.

This man knows.

Cromwell

Banned
Creative call. HBO wanted 20 more eps, D/D apparently are saying only 13, but I suspect they'll end up w/ 14.

I'd rather 7 and 6 if it means no bullshit filler, or even less than that. Let Sapochnik direct every episode, the shorter seasons will make it easier so why the hell not.

Madness

What will probably drive Jaime away from Cersei is the fact she literally is the reason Tommen died and doesn't care. He literally had the speech two episodes before about how only Cat loved her kids like Cersei. And yet Cersei doesn't. This will drive the wedge. She will want him to go to Winterfell and kill Sansa. He will refuse and say I swore an oath to Catelyn. She'll say that didn't stop you before, mock him as weak. This drives him away and he leaves KL before it is sacked by Dany crew. Tyrion was prophesized to kill Cersei so he will probably be the one who will do it next season. She is not long for this world. She is in the great game now.

suzu

What will probably drive Jaime away from Cersei is the fact she literally is the reason Tommen died and doesn't care. He literally had the speech two episodes before about how only Cat loved her kids like Cersei. And yet Cersei doesn't. This will drive the wedge. She will want him to go to Winterfell and kill Sansa. He will refuse and say I swore an oath to Catelyn. She'll say that didn't stop you before, mock him as weak. This drives him away and he leaves KL before it is sacked by Dany crew. Tyrion was prophesized to kill Cersei so he will probably be the one who will do it next season. She is not long for this world. She is in the great game now.

Technically, Jaime is also younger than Cersei. :p

And I don't think they even mentioned the valonqar part of the prophecy in the show.

If the show ever wants to bother with Jaime's redemption, they'll make him kill her like he did with the Mad King. Queenslayer!

Jetman

great episode and fun to watch!

- had a feeling Frey was getting some sweet justice this episode, but was expecting (hoping) the Brotherhood would pull their own Red Wedding, locking the doors to the hall, butchering everyone (except for Bronn fucking his bitches), capture Jamie, then LSH rolls in and slits Freys throat. Nope. Arya with a Halloween mask.

- Cersei was the best part about this episode. She's turned a huge corner in how dangerous she is. When Tommen/High Sparrow changed the rules to the Trial I was surprised. Always thought we'd get Cleganebowl. But think I liked this idea better. Cersei didn't have to depend on any man or monster to "win" the trial. Just herself.

- Jamie did not look happy at Cersei. My first thought was that he was looking at her like she was the Mad King. "Burn Them All". But he wasn't there to stop her or prevent any burning.

- as bad ass as I think Cersei is, I think her and the Lannister army would be fucked going against Dorne AND the Tyrells. Now they're going against Dorne, Tyrells, AND Dany's horde? That is not gonna be a fight. And definitely not the challenging fight I expected to put Dany on the Throne.

- How in the hell did Varys transport from Dorne to Mereen so fast?

- glad it was addressed, but still hate Sansa for not telling Jon and his council about the Vale Knights. If I was her brother and she pulled that shit on me, I don't think any amount of apologizing would make me trust her.

- was hoping Pycelle would fart again, one last time when he saw that kid with the knife.

Cromwell

Banned
When did Arya become so sadist that she would cook people and serve it to others?

Yeah that was extremely off-character. Nice nod to the readers but I'd rather they left it out in this context. In the books, Wyman is the leader of a house and has an infrastructure to actually get that kind of shit done. Arya is one person. She's not only sadistic but dedicated as fuck.

Cromwell

Banned
Never made sense to me for Manderly to it in the books either to be honest. But a cool scene is a cool scene I guess.

Makes a lot more sense in the books IMO. Wyman is very detached and very angry, all he has to do is command someone to cook up some bodies and they'll do it since he's a lord. And he loves pie.

So how long till someone does what they did to Lost In Translation to find out what Bill Murray said, and tweak the audio to find out what Lyanna said after "his name is...."?

Brakke

Banned
Yeah let's take a minute to remember what Arya did to Trant. And that dude didn't slash her mom's throat. Arya serving Frey pies is only "out of character" if it isn't consistent with what she does going forward.

Madness

When did Arya become so sadist that she would cook people and serve it to others?

Probably when her family was butchered by the Freys and that they were denied the guest right. Nan probably read Arya the same stories she read Bran of the Rat Cook.

Plus Arya has watched her father be beheaded. She learned her sister was forced around and married off like a whore, she was there the night her mother, brother, and her sister in law with unborn nephew were killed. She has seen her friends die unfairly. She was nearly killed herself. Who can blame her. I just hope there is enough of her left to want to settle down when it is all over. I can't wait for the day she sees Nymeria, is reunited with Gendry or sees Bran and Sansa and Jon again.

OMFG this episode was everything, but i see declaring John as king of the north backfiring in the worst way.

From the Tommen suicide, to Arya killing the Freys, to the tower of Joy, this episode was perfect. Although i will miss Dario. Also Cersi made the Tyrell´s her enemy. The alliance is going to crush the Lannisters. Jamie seems in disbelief in his sister´s actions. It´s her he probably will brake with her, especially after he killed the last king who tried to do the same thing.

The soundtrack is sublime.

Cromwell

Banned
Probably when her family was butchered by the Freys and that they were denied the guest right. Nan probably read Arya the same stories she read Bran of the Rat Cook.

Plus Arya has watched her father be beheaded. She learned her sister was forced around and married off like a whore, she was there the night her mother, brother, and her sister in law with unborn nephew were killed. She has seen her friends die unfairly. She was nearly killed herself. Who can blame her. I just hope there is enough of her left to want to settle down when it is all over. I can't wait for the day she sees Nymeria, is reunited with Gendry or sees Bran and Sansa and Jon again.

It's not that she isn't totally hellbent on making them suffer, but it takes a certain amount of sadistic creativity to think of the pies. Wyman loves his pies and loves food so it fits there, but she's never exactly shown a proclivity for cannibalism before.

Gaf gonna ignore Lady motherfucking Olenna? Queen of thorns dropping ether on the sand snakes one by one in front of their damn momma? Cot damn, I thought she was Nas for a second, shit made em' burn slow. whew

Madness

It's not that she isn't totally hellbent on making them suffer, but it takes a certain amount of sadistic creativity to think of the pies. Wyman loves his pies and loves food so it fits there, but she's never exactly shown a proclivity for cannibalism before.

But it is more about guest right and what it means throughout the Kingdom. She was actually there that night they were killed. If Bran heard the stories from Nan it only makes sense Arya and the rest heard them too. Perfect revenge. It is obviously fan service for book readers but was also one of the most wtf and exciting moments for show watchers. Like Manderly said for Jon that he avenged the Red Weddinf, Arya did the same but also made it so everyone who hears of Walders death is reminded of the rat cook and guest right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom