• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheroking

People didn't even get that baby was supposed to be Jon Snow and some people forgot who is who.

Like Insaid I had to explain not only the Rargar part but the Lyanna part too

Not to be rude, but if some people didn't get that Jon was that baby - those people are idiots. They literally smash cut from the baby to Jon.

It could not have been communicated more strongly without actually saying the words.

Black_Sun

Fun episode but really hammy direction in order to get really silly staged shots. It worked for the opening but made the whole episode feel like a weird surreal montage. Shots like cersei on the throne and a slow zoom out while everyone just stands there silent, could be a strong shot, but with an episode where every scene has a shot like that, it feels silly and hammy.

I've given up long ago on this show even attempting to honor distance and time.

I also remain disappointing by how this season failed to meaningfully build new relationships. Tyrion being Dany's hand doesn't feel earned, the northmen declaring for Jon doesn't feel earned, the red woman being sent off doesn't feel earned (becuase she sat out this whole season after reviving jon, it took them forever to even have an anemic conversation about his Resurrection, let alone ever give an initial justification for resurrecting him). So I feel like a lot of, what could have been, great moments just came off cliche because there wasn't enough characterization to justify what was happening. It's just hitting the beats.

Yeah this is how I feel.

Awesome things are happening but not of it feels earned by the characters.

It feels like stuff is just being dropped on characters and us and the show is forcing us to accept it

NeoGiff

Has anyone heard from NeoGiff? Is he okay after this episode?

I have no words, only Mace.

8fxL16W.gif

dabig2

In the words of Daario, "fuck Mereen and fuck these people". We ain't going back, Kate. Poor guy got dumped literally and figuratively.

Daario being written off nonchalantly here is yet another point for the "Eurrario is real...but only in the books" column.

This was always such a horrible theory. Almost as dumb as Howland Reed = High Sparrow. Almost.

Black_Sun

Not to be rude, but if you didn't get that Jon was that baby - you're an idiot. They literally smash cut from the baby to Jon.

People can't even remember people's names in this show.

Like my dad only remembers Tyrion by the Imp and calls Dany the dragon queen and Varys is the guy with no dick.

Saya

Any chance that Willas and Garlan Tyrell make their appearance in the show now or is Olenna really the last Tyrell left standing?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Any chance that Willas and Garlan Tyrell make their appearance in the show now or is Olenna really the last Tyrell left standing?
I imagine there are branch families.

dabig2

They're currently exploring what's west of Westeros along with Quentyn, Arianne, (fake)Aegon, Jon Connington, and Lady Stoneheart. So I wouldn't expect them back anytime soon for them to matter.

Hey guys I read the books a while back and I'm starting to forget the details and differences from the show. Are there good video summaries on YouTube perchance?

Snake

Not just one fan theory was confirmed today.

Varys got on that boat mid ocean voyage. How would he do that, you say? Well he'd certainly have to be able to navigate water very quickly. Perhaps without a boat? Merman confirmed.

Best post I've read this whole season.

duckroll

Hey guys I read the books a while back and I'm starting to forget the details and differences from the show. Are there good video summaries on YouTube perchance?

The main difference is that the show will have an ending and the books won't. You don't have to worry about all the other minor details. :)

I just checked GRRM's twitter to see if people here were exaggerating about the salt.

...They are not.

And it's only gonna get WORSE if the last two seasons comes out and TWOW still isn't released.

Fun episode but really hammy direction in order to get really silly staged shots. It worked for the opening but made the whole episode feel like a weird surreal montage. Shots like cersei on the throne and a slow zoom out while everyone just stands there silent, could be a strong shot, but with an episode where every scene has a shot like that, it feels silly and hammy.

I've given up long ago on this show even attempting to honor distance and time.

I also remain disappointing by how this season failed to meaningfully build new relationships. Tyrion being Dany's hand doesn't feel earned, the northmen declaring for Jon doesn't feel earned, the red woman being sent off doesn't feel earned (becuase she sat out this whole season after reviving jon, it took them forever to even have an anemic conversation about his Resurrection, let alone ever give an initial justification for resurrecting him). So I feel like a lot of, what could have been, great moments just came off cliche because there wasn't enough characterization to justify what was happening. It's just hitting the beats.
I just don't even know what shows people must be watching that justifies writing so many drags against this show. I don't know what it's like to be someone who finds 4,000 little nits like this in some of the most amazing episodes of television ever produced, but I'm glad I'm not like this, because it's clearly a bummer. I mean, no one's opinion is invalid, etc. etc., but I'm so glad I can just enjoy the pure escapist joy of this show.

Nodnol

What a finale.

This season has had its ups and downs, but the last two episodes have been superb.

So many moments of either shock, sheer awesomeness or a swell of emotion.

I need to watch it again.

Cromwell

Banned
I just don't even know what shows people must be watching that justifies writing so many drags against this show. I don't know what it's like to be someone who finds 4,000 little nits like this in some of the most amazing episodes of television ever produced, but I'm glad I'm not like this, because it's clearly a bummer. I mean, no one's opinion is invalid, etc. etc., but I'm so glad I can just enjoy the pure escapist joy of this show.

Critical thinking does not bum me or most critics out. The reason I'm able to really enjoy and appreciate what made the last two episodes so great is because I also recognize when the show is terrible. Analyzing nothing and just enjoying everything you get at the same level sounds like a miserable experience to me.

duckroll

If Show Euron still sailing to see Dany he will bump into Darrio who defends Meeren

I'm actually hoping we'll get a big mid-season naval battle if both fleets meet in open waters. We haven't had something like that on the show yet.

Won't be much of a battle though, with the dragons in play...

Critical thinking does not bum me or most critics out. The reason I'm able to really enjoy and appreciate what made the last two episodes so great is because I also recognize when the show is terrible. Analyzing nothing and just enjoying everything you get at the same level sounds like a miserable experience to me.
I can assure you it isn't.

Also, huge difference between critical thinking and demanding the show essentially be a slow-arc drama like The Wire or something instead of a fantasy epic and enumerating the 12,000 nitpicks when the show fails to be that. Sometimes, you gotta just enjoy a show for what it is and let go your ideas about what it's not.

Something tells me littlefinger will meet his end at the hand of Sansa Stark next season. Sansa will take revenge because he's the one who sold her to the boltons for his own political power.

Something tells me littlefinger will meet his end at the hand of Sansa Stark next season. Sansa will take revenge because he's the one who sold her to the boltons for his own political power.

Yeah I feel that way too, no doubt LF will try to concur up some schemes to fuck them over but Sansa knows his true nature.

Saya

This and Cersei will meet her end at the hand(s) of Jaime I think, after threatening to destroy the city with wildifre. And then someone, probably Tyrion, will see him sitting on the Iron Throne just like after he killed the Mad King.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Lady Mormont continues to be the MVP of the North. What would Jon do without her? I think he has found his future wife right there. Sorry Dany, but... the North remembers!

This will probably, hopefully, be true. The Lady Mormont and Jon Snow pairing is one for the ages. Their offspring would be part bear, wolf and dragon. Real badass pairing. They'll rule the Iron Throne for a thousand years.

Black_Sun

The main differences:

Tyrion is a villain in the books.

All the Starks are wargs.

Tommen is 7. Cersei is Queen Regent.

Varys' master plan is to seat "Aegon" on the Iron Throne with the help of Illyrio, the Golden Company, Dorne and Jon Connington, a former Hand of the King.

Euron Greyjoy is a greenseer and former apprentice of the three eyes crow as well as aiming to take Daenerys' dragons with dragon binder, kill all the gods, conquer the world and turn into a god.

Jaquen is in Oldtown infiltrating the Citadel.

Sansa is marrying Harrold Hardyng who is the heir to the Vale. LF and her plan to take back Winterfell with the Vale forces after she marries and Robert Arryn dies.

Daenerys can already control her dragon pre-Dothraki taking her captive so it's unlikely that she'll deal with the Dothraki from a position of weakness like in the show.

Robb's Will named Jon Snow his heir in the books and legitimized him.

The north loves the Starks in the books

Ramsay is a minor character in the books. Roose is the real threat.

Stannis doesn't have Shireen with him on the march to Winterfell. He's most likely going to be the one to beat the Boltona early in TWOW.

There's a resurrected Cat running around in the Riverlands cooking up plans with the Brotherhood without Banners and killing Frehs.

Jaime and Brienne are in the custody of Lady Stoneheart.

Robb Stark's wife is alive and on the way to Casterly Rock with Edmure.

Jaime hates Cersei for different reasons than the show.

Jaime and Tyrion hate each other in the books.

Tyrion murdered Shae out of a sense of humiliation.

Team Martell is still kicking and GRRM has confirmed that to be completely different from the show.

The Tyrells are a huge family that has at least 30 different members. Loras has two older brothers named Willas and Garlan that GRRM called important.

Ramsay never married Sansa. He marries her best friend named Jeyne Poole who Roose and Tywin roll the north into believing is Arya Stark

Mance is alive. His death was faked.

Barristan is alive and ruling Meereen.

Victarion Greyjoy exists with a smoking lava arm.

Etc.

The show is going in a different route to the books

danthefan

I'm actually hoping we'll get a big mid-season naval battle if both fleets meet in open waters. We haven't had something like that on the show yet.

Won't be much of a battle though, with the dragons in play...

There has been no mention in the show of the horn that can bind dragons has there?

Key words: "To me"

I work within the film business and do my own projects, from shooting to editing. It's literally impossible for me to watch something and not analyze it.
Again, SO glad not to be like that. #lifeisfun

I get where you're coming from though, I'm that way about music. I am reflexively repulsed by overly sweet pop and EDM because I have been a label owner, record producer, and occasional musician for 25 years and have just grown acclimated to deeper work.

duckroll

There has been no mention in the show of the horn that can bind dragons has there?

Nope. Unless they introduce more magical artifacts pulled out of Euron's ass next season, I think he's going to die like a bitch. Could go out even lamer than Quentyn in the books lol.

Cromwell

Banned
The main differences:

Tyrion is a villain in the books.

No he isn't. This is like saying Stannis is a villain. They're morally complicated and grey characters, calling them that kind of misses the point. The only outright villains currently living in the books are Ramsay and the white walkers.

Brakke

Banned
What's will about that? House Tyrell is extinct.

Olenna was never the ruler of the Reach. Her son was.

She's been Lady of Hightower for like fifty years or some shit. She's negotiated on behalf of Tyrell in every move they've ever made. There's no reason to think Tyrell's banners would just up and forsake her unless we see it happen.

danthefan

Nope. Unless they introduce more magical artifacts pulled out of Euron's ass next season, I think he's going to die like a bitch. Could go out even lamer than Quentyn in the books lol.

I really really really hope they don't do that. It would feel so cheap.

I don't know what will happen with the Iron Islands next season but their story arc just seems pointless now? It was culminating with Euron building a thousand ships for Dany... that she has absolutely no use for.

Squire

Banned
Cersei's going to kill herself in the end. That's the thought I had listening to D&Ds comments on her after the show. She's proven herself to be an unstoppable force. No one is going to get to her - she won't be able to live with herself. Jaimie will probably be the catalyst for it.

Is next season the last season?

No clue. I'm hoping they engage the idea of breaking a single final season into two; six episodes for part one, seven for part two.

I really don't think we need another 20 episodes.

Joco

People can't even remember people's names in this show.

Like my dad only remembers Tyrion by the Imp and calls Dany the dragon queen and Varys is the guy with no dick.

My girlfriend does this and it annoys the crap out of me (probably more than it should) When the Hound came back this season I was almost jumping around in excitement and she goes "wait who is that?". I'm like are you fucking kidding me?

She knows Tyrion and Jon and that's about it.

man I spent all year shitting on Ramin Djawadi's bland output in everything and then he gives me this episode as a sort of "STFU". his music (and the entire sequence itself) in kings landing was awesome.

Really enjoyable finale. better episode than battle of the bastards tbh, it's nice to see that this show clearly is heading towards an end-game here. And finally we see Cersei go back to making these big power-plays.

Only sighed once when the show cut to Sam, thankfully they only wasted like a minute on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom