• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Can't believe the Tyrells got wiped out so decisively.

Wow.

The best Tyrell is still alive tho
olenna-tyrell-1024.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is it bad that right after Tommon SD'd, this was the only image passing through my head for the next half minute?

KBNcZ.gif

It totally changed the emotional impact of that scene for me.

Sheroking

The Forbes review helpfully reminded me of the Rat Cook story, and how that ties into Arya's murder of Walder Frey.

“It wasn’t for murder the gods cursed the Rat Cook, or for serving the King’s son in a pie… he killed a guest beneath his roof… that’s something the gods can’t forgive.“ ~ Bran Stark

Black_Sun

No he isn't. This is like saying Stannis is a villain. They're morally complicated and grey characters, calling them that kind of misses the point. The only outright villains currently living in the books are Ramsay and the white walkers.

No he is a villain. I know because GRRM has called Tyrion a villain several times

Ramsay, Cersei, Varya, Illyrio, Euron, Littlefinger, the white walkers, Vic Greyjoy, Darkstar, the Slavers, the Green Grace etc are all villains that are alive in the books

Is it bad that right after Tommon SD'd, this was the only image passing through my head for the next half minute?

KBNcZ.gif

It totally changed the emotional impact of that scene for me.

yeah that's exactly what it reminded me of but i swear i've seen similar suicide scenes to this with more emotional impact.

however tommen was to die i would have still felt indifferent.

Cromwell

Banned
No he is a villain. I know because GRRM has called Tyrion a villain several times

Ramsay, Cersei, Varya, Illyrio, Euron, Littlefinger, the white walkers, Vic Greyjoy, Darkstar, the Slavers, the Green Grace etc are all villains that are alive in the books

Gonna need a source on GRRM saying that, and all of those characters besides Ramsay and maybe Darkstar (can barely remember him) are far more complicated than that. Pigeonholing them as villains does a total disservice to their characters. Also, the slavers are not a character and I have no idea who the green grace is.

vaderise

Man, i still can't get over the fact that they killed Margaery :(
What an episode it was. Only thing bothered me was how fast Arya and Varys showed up where they needed to show up.

Black_Sun

Nope. Unless they introduce more magical artifacts pulled out of Euron's ass next season, I think he's going to die like a bitch. Could go out even lamer than Quentyn in the books lol.

Quentyn had a great death.

But the actor for Euron has hinted that he might have a dragon horn that might come into play next season. And why not? The show needs a villain for next season. The WW are still behind the Wall and don't to be on their way to becoming a threat until the last season.

Black_Sun

Gonna need a source on GRRM saying that, and all of those characters besides Ramsay and maybe Darkstar (can barely remember him) are far more complicated than that. Pigeonholing them as villains does a total disservice to their characters. Also, the slavers are not a character and I have no idea who the green grace is.

I think you have a different idea of what a villain is than most people. As GRRM says we're all villains and heroes but some people are more villain than hero and that's what we call a villain.

And here's the quote and source:

Interviewer: Do you have a favorite character?

Martin: I've got to admit I kind of like Tyrion Lannister. He's the villain of course, but hey, there's nothing like a good villain.

https://web.archive.org/web/19991013131915/http://cyberhaven.com/books/sciencefiction/martin.html

There's more of GRRM saying this about Tyrion.

Here's the twist. GRRM has been making Tyrion, Daenerys and Jon more villainous from the start of the books.

ASOS ends with Tyrion deciding he's Tywin.

ADWD ends with Daenerys embracing that she's all about fire and blood now and that she's meant to raze and conquer.

And ADWD has positioned for Jon to experience a huge change in character from the R'hllor resurrection and spending too much time on Ghost. He's not gonna be the same nice guy he was before.

RiZ III

Are they really not going to have a resurrected Catlyn Stark in the show? I was really hoping she'd be in this season. Her being alive was by far my favorite twist in the book. It'd be a real shame if they skipped out on that whole thing in the show.

Squire

Banned
The Mountain is raping Septa Unella, correct?

Are they really not going to have a resurrected Catlyn Stark in the show? I was really hoping she'd be in this season. Her being alive was by far my favorite twist in the book. It'd be a real shame if they skipped out on that whole thing in the show.

Oh? How is she alive in TR books? We watched her get her throat slashed on the show, so she didn't exactly die off-screen. (Though I guess that's irrelevant, considering Jon.)

Aiii

So not worth it
man I spent all year shitting on Ramin Djawadi's bland output in everything and then he gives me this episode as a sort of "STFU". his music (and the entire sequence itself) in kings landing was awesome.

Really, huh? The music this year has been on-point, I've enjoyed this years soundtrack the most out of all the seasons.

Black_Sun

The Mountain is raping Septa Unella, correct?

Oh? How is she alive in TR books? We watched her get her throat slashed on the show, so she didn't exactly die off-screen. (Though I guess that's irrelevant, considering Jon.)

Beric passed his fire to her. That means he died to resurrect her.

Tenck

My girlfriend does this and it annoys the crap out of me (probably more than it should) When the Hound came back this season I was almost jumping around in excitement and she goes "wait who is that?". I'm like are you fucking kidding me?

She knows Tyrion and Jon and that's about it.

I was talking to some dude at work about Varys probably going to King's Landing in yesterdays episode. He was asking me who that was, and I told him he was the one hanging out with Tyrion. To my surprise he didn't know who Tyrion was or Varys until I showed him a picture. When I did he told me "oh the bald guy with the midget. Why didn't you say that?"

Was an awful conversation.

finowns

The main differences:

Euron Greyjoy is a greenseer and former apprentice of the three eyes crow as well as aiming to take Daenerys' dragons with dragon binder, kill all the gods, conquer the world and turn into a god.

Where are you getting this? It's been awhile since I've read the books but I don't remember that at all.

Boem

Just realized something while thinking about the revelation about Jon's past (this has probably already been mentioned by someone else, but this thread is huge): the scene after that, where Jon is talking about how he, as a bastard, had to sit in the back during feasts while the Starks sat at the head table is extra bittersweet now. To protect Jon's real identity Ned had to claim he had a bastard, while Jon wasn't even his actual son - not a huge controversy in the world of GoT, but for a man like Ned that's a huge blemish on his honor. So while Jon always felt like the outsider in that family, actually sacrificed quite a lot for him.

Ned was too good to survive this world. I miss that man.

RiZ III

She's now called Lady Stoneheart. She was brought back in the epilogue of book three. Such an awesome scene in the book.

Brakke

Banned
Where are you getting this? It's been awhile since I've read the books but I don't remember that at all.

He had a line about dreaming he could fly when he was a kid. Like Bran had.

Euron's had all sort of magick shit in his orbit. Maybe he's a warg or a greenseer or a Faceless Man or a sorcerer ala Qarth or he has a bucket of Valyrian artifacts or whatever. Fair money says he at least knows about all these things.

Black_Sun

It's strongly implied.

“When I was a boy, I dreamt that I could fly,” he announced. “When I woke, I couldn’t…or so the maester said. But what if he lied?”

This is a literal parallel to Bran who experienced the exact same thing.

Bran and Euron are also both ingesting some magical concoction to boost their powers. Bran is eating Weirwood sap made from a red and white tree and Euron is drinking the warlock's wine made from a black and blue tree.

It's implied that Euron is projecting himself into Daenerys' dreams the same way Bran did to Jon except he's using it to rape her. And that's something that only a greenseer has been shown doing.

Euron's sigil is a red eye being crowned by crows. The Three eyed Crow has one red eye and is a crow.

It's implied in book one that Bran isn't the only greenseer that's been contacted.

PQ:

Hiya! I think the idea there, and one of the many ironies of Euron’s character, is that he thinks he’s Sauron, but (as I’ve argued many a time before), he’s actually ASOIAF’s own Saruman: a surprise villain come to hijack the antagonist role, a rogue protege of the good gods (Bloodraven, in Euron’s case) defined by his ability to corrupt and charm, sneeringly arrogant to his former peers because he believes his marination in dangerous magic makes him a higher class of being. Like Saruman, Euron will eventually falter and fail, and look rather pathetic by the end…but that’s not to say he won’t do a whole lot of damage first, including blowing the Horn of Joramun (while astride Rhaegal, atop the Hightower, at least in my fever-dreams) and bringing down the Wall.
So where you see Barad-dur in the Hightower, I see Orthanc; the glass candles are Euron’s palantir, the Ironborn his Dunlendings, the Deep Ones his Uruk-hai, the Reach his Rohan…and the Others, ultimately, are the analogue to the true-antagonist-returned-from-dormancy Sauron, just rooted in a different cardinal direction.

SoulUnison

Banned
But I have to wonder, how did Cersei expect Tommen to take her little ploy?

Cersei was already totally bought into the prophecy that all her children would die, and Tommen had thrown her under the bus by banning Trial By Combat.

Her reaction when shown his body was less "Oh god, my son" and more "Oh. So this is how it happens."

She'd already written him off completely.

vaderise

Jon Targaryen
Former Commander of The Night's Watch
King in the North
White Wolf
Azor Ahai

Jon's character arc is something very special.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah. I totally miss-called that one, thinking she would not step asside for Jon. She was telling him to rule right from the start of the episode.

Littlefinger is pissed though. Don't know what he's going to do. Probably try to turn the North away from Dany.

That plus their earlier discussion pretty much confirms that no, she wasn't hoping Jon was going to die in the battle. The writers just wrote her as being an idiot.

TTG

The main differences:

Tyrion is a villain in the books.

All the Starks are wargs.

Euron Greyjoy is a greenseer and former apprentice of the three eyes crow as well as aiming to take Daenerys' dragons with dragon binder, kill all the gods, conquer the world and turn into a god.

Jaquen is in Oldtown infiltrating the Citadel.

Daenerys can already control her dragon pre-Dothraki taking her captive so it's unlikely that she'll deal with the Dothraki from a position of weakness like in the show.

Robb's Will named Jon Snow his heir in the books and legitimized him.

The north loves the Starks in the books

Jaime and Brienne are in the custody of Lady Stoneheart.

Jaime and Tyrion hate each other in the books.

Tyrion murdered Shae out of a sense of humiliation.

Mance is alive. His death was faked.

Victarion Greyjoy exists with a smoking lava arm.

Etc.

The show is going in a different route to the books

I left the stuff I did not think was a certainty or simply cannot remember any more. I think you're taking liberty with interpreting events for a number of those at least. Tyrion is no villain for starters and the dragon leaves Dany stranded in the book as well, no? And it appears that she can have children again.

One thing I'll add is Dorne is totally different. Whatshername Lannister daughter is still alive. They've sent a prince over to meet Dany(did the dragons end up eating him? can't recall). Anyway, I would appreciate something comprehensive to catch up.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The who will Dany marry plot is pretty funny in the show considering that there is literally only 4 eligible men left in the entire continent: Jon, Littlefinger, Euron and Jaime.

Brakke

Banned
Cersei could've prevented Tommen's death if only Joff hadn't killed Ros; just send her along instead of The Mountain and Tommen would've forgotten Marg straight away.

Turin

Banned
Nope. Unless they introduce more magical artifacts pulled out of Euron's ass next season, I think he's going to die like a bitch. Could go out even lamer than Quentyn in the books lol.

Well, they will need to give Dany a somewhat effective distraction from annihilating Cersei right off the bat.

Tenck

I left the stuff I did not think was a certainty or simply cannot remember any more. I think you're taking liberty with interpreting events for a number of those at least. Tyrion is no villain for starters and the dragon leaves Dany stranded in the book as well, no? And it appears that she can have children again.

One thing I'll add is Dorne is totally different. Whatshername Lannister daughter is still alive. They've sent a prince over to meet Dany(did the dragons end up eating him? can't recall). Anyway, I would appreciate something comprehensive to catch up.

He linked an interview in the last page. With this in it
81cbcbc292.png

Here's the interview.
https://web.archive.org/web/19991013131915/http://cyberhaven.com/books/sciencefiction/martin.html

TTG

Who said anything about men?

I would post the shame nun with the bell to keep in spirit with the show, but she's being tortured by the mountain and all.

By the way, did anyone else think Tyrion is falling for Dany? It seemed obvious, and one sided, to me.

finowns

It's strongly implied.

“When I was a boy, I dreamt that I could fly,” he announced. “When I woke, I couldn’t…or so the maester said. But what if he lied?”

This is a literal parallel to Bran who experienced the exact same thing.

Bran and Euron are also both ingesting some magical concoction to boost their powers. Bran is eating Weirwood sap made from a red and white tree and Euron is drinking the warlock's wine made from a black and blue tree.

It's implied that Euron is projecting himself into Daenerys' dreams the same way Bran did to Jon except he's using it to rape her. And that's something that only a greenseer has been shown doing.

Euron's sigil is a red eye being crowned by crows. The Three eyed Crow has one red eye and is a crow.

It's implied in book one that Bran isn't the only greenseer that's been contacted.

I have to disagree. He's most likely not a warg, or the much rarer greenseer. And Brynden Rivers is called 'the Last Greenseer', also I don't see him teaching someone like Euron. Everything we've seen, so far, from Euron is eastern magic. IIRC, he was crazy enough to sail to the ruins of old Valyria, which then made him crazier.

Black_Sun

Tyrion is a villain according to GRRM.

And no, Daenerys is even standing next to Drogon when the Dothraki find her .

And no she can't have children again or if she does it'll kill her. MMD'a prophecy is about when the real Drogo will come back to her and you could interpret that as either never of when Daenerys births a living child and dies in child birth.

And Quentyn Martell is burned to death by the dragons.

Turin

Banned
Can we assume that Kinvara is on one of those ships? You know, so she can tease Varys some more and tell Dany she's the prince that was promised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom