• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoGiff

I mean, as a woman, my perception of it is different from yours. Not trying to say that my poInt of view is better or more important, so sorry if this comes off that way. But I've experienced things that make this a bigger issue for me than it may be for you. It doesn't mean you're wrong, just that we're on different sides of the issue. If that makes sense.

It's more than it just being an issue of "2/3 of the women in Westeros are in positions of authority"; there are a lot of societal and cultural issues lying underneath it all that I don't agree with, and Sansa's treatment deals with a lot of them.

A piece of entertainment or media being set in a historical or historically-based time period which we now perceive had a lot of misogyny does not make the entertainment/media inherently misogynistic, no matter your personal views.

Black_Sun

Thank you for reminding me.

That's not really true.

GRRM's using resurrection as an easy tool to change his characters in substantial ways and show the other costs of magic.

The show didn't really follow through on its own rules they established because it seems more like any changes that Jon accrued were as a result of his stabbing and not his death. And those changes seem to have just been a temporary phase.

Like Jon could've been stabbed and not died last season and not much would've been changed for this season.

Black_Sun

A piece of entertainment or media being set in a historical or historically-based time period which we now perceive had a lot of misogyny does not make the entertainment/media inherently misogynistic, no matter your personal views.

Agreed. Depiction does not equal endorsement.

duckroll

Black_Sun, if you really only want to talk about what "GRRM says" or whatever, could you please stick to the book thread? This is a thread about the HBO show created by DB Weiss and David Benoiff. Stop trying to correct every single person to mentions anything and bring up context from the books which no longer apply to the show.

Cromwell

Banned
I need to see more.

Arya got shanked by the evil old lady from Snow White when she was on her guard to balance that out

Good offense? Bad defense?

Clearly she intended to be stabbed to lure her into that dark room. That's how next-level she is, she knew the old lady was the waif and that the stabbing would be non-fatal.

It was all according to Keikaku.

Black_Sun

Black_Sun, if you really only want to talk about what "GRRM says" or whatever, could you please stick to the book thread? This is a thread about the HBO show created by DB Weiss and David Benoiff. Stop trying to correct every single person to mentions anything and bring up context from the books which no longer apply to the show.

Game of Thrones is an adaptation of his novels.

GRRM is a screenwriter for the show.

GRRM is an executive producer for the show.

GRRM okays D & D's scripts.

Their ending is supposed to end like his.

I'm not even bringing stuff up about the books per se but what he's said in recent interviews.

And I'm even basing some of that evidence of what the show's established as well in this instance.

It's all well and good if you don't want me to make actual and constant book comparisons but don't you think that not bringing up what the actual creator thinks and says is a little extreme?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The piano music at the beginning of this episode reminds of some other theme from some TV show or movie or video game or something. I can't really put my finger on it, and it's driving me insane right now.

Black_Sun

The piano music at the beginning of this episode reminds of some other theme from some TV show or movie or video game or something. I can't really put my finger on it, and it's driving me insane right now.

I know what you mean.

I can't stop listening to it though.

It'd be a shame if they never use it again.

duckroll

I mean you clearly don't understand what I've been trying to say. This isn't a request. It's telling you that if you want to talk about the book's logic or whatever "rules" established by the books or what GRRM says about the books, go talk about it in the book thread. That's it. End of discussion. If you want to talk about the SHOW, talk about the show. On the show, Jon Snow's death released him from his vows in the Night's Watch because he died. That was the narrative purpose. There's nothing to correct there. Even if you don't like it, it's 100% accurate. They killed him to release him from his vow so he could ride south and reclaim Winterfell. If he didn't die he would be an oathbreaker.

Whatever GRRM has planned for death and resurrection in the books have little to no bearing on the show at this point. The themes are different, and what he says that applies to the books is irrelevant to what the creators of the show have planned for the show. If GRRM says something specifically about the show, that would be relevant, but he's not going to.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I know what you mean.
Share my anguish with meeee! ;P

It reminded me of "Coward" from the Interstellar soundtrack, starting at 5:02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoP44KNu0IQ&list=PLPS5GX2Oe-9tboGnfvsn_HZWlr2og93wr&index=13

I guess it's sorta similar, but I don't think that's what it's reminding me of. That track you linked shares too much of the theme from "No Time For Caution", and I've watched Interstellar so many times now that I think I would have thought of that movie immediately if that's what the GoT piano theme reminded me of.

Neifirst

I'm really interested to see how Cersei's (likely brief) rule is portrayed next season. Every decision she made was for her children, and now that they have all died as foretold, how does she go about her daily life?

I'm really interested to see how Cersei's (likely brief) rule is portrayed next season. Every decision she made was for her children, and now that they have all died as foretold, how does she go about her daily life?

I imagine she'll ask Jamie for more kids and at that point he'll say "fuck this" and leave.
Speaking of that, I like to think that Jamie (who will be Warden of the West most likely) will be smart and bend the knee to Dany when she arrives.

Black_Sun

I mean you clearly don't understand what I've been trying to say. This isn't a request. It's telling you that if you want to talk about the book's logic or whatever "rules" established by the books or what GRRM says about the books, go talk about it in the book thread. That's it. End of discussion. If you want to talk about the SHOW, talk about the show. On the show, Jon Snow's death released him from his vows in the Night's Watch because he died. That was the narrative purpose. There's nothing to correct there. Even if you don't like it, it's 100% accurate. They killed him to release him from his vow so he could ride south and reclaim Winterfell. If he didn't die he would be an oathbreaker.

Whatever GRRM has planned for death and resurrection in the books have little to no bearing on the show at this point. The themes are different, and what he says that applies to the books is irrelevant to what the creators of the show have planned for the show. If GRRM says something specifically about the show, that would be relevant, but he's not going to.

Okay well my original point still stands. The show broke its own rules on resurrection by bringing back Jon almost the same when it established with Beric that it changes you significantly.

Jon Snow's death releasing him from his vows is actually ambiguous. As Dolorous Edd says, Jon pledged himself to the Night's Watch for all the nights to come .

What's the importance of being an oathbreaker here? Are you talking about being an oathbreaker in Jon's own eyes or for the world at large?

Because most people in the North won't really buy that Jon was resurrected unless there was a repeat with lots of witnesses. So he probably is an oathbreaker in their eyes, they just don't care

And GRRM has said a lot of stuff relevant to the show on the DVDs and in his interviews.

He even talked about his top characters he wished were on the show.

Black_Sun

I imagine she'll ask Jamie for more kids and at that point he'll say "fuck this" and leave.
Speaking of that, I like to think that Jamie (who will be Warden of the West most likely) will be smart and bend the knee to Dany when she arrives.

But in this case would she actually let him

He killed her dad even if he was a madman.

But in this case would she actually let him

He killed her dad even if he was a madman.

Indeed. Regardless, given the show's penchant for Karmic/Ironic deaths, if and when Jamie dies I imagine that it'll be for doing something once against considered dishonorable by most yet still pragmatic and necessary.

duckroll

What's the importance of being an oathbreaker here? Are you talking about being an oathbreaker in Jon's own eyes or for the world at large?

The only thing that matters to Jon is Jon himself. How he sees himself, how he carries himself, his own version of honor. His death gave him an out, which otherwise he would struggle with. He doesn't have to struggle with it anymore clearly. If he didn't die, he would still be Lord Commander, he would probably have given Sansa the support of the wildlings if they were willing, but he wouldn't ride with her, he wouldn't reclaim Winterfell, and he wouldn't accept the title of King in the North. He turned all that down before, when Stannis offered it. Why would he accept it now? Because he died. Death changed him and allowed him to justify all this as part of his rebirth.

For an episode called winds of winter, it didn't really feel like winter had come besides Jon and Sansa commenting on it for a minute

You can also see all the white ravens leaving the Citadel when Sam arrives. Those are headed to different locations all over Westeros to announce the arrival of winter.

bitbydeath

Okay well my original point still stands. The show broke its own rules on resurrection by bringing back Jon almost the same when it established with Beric that it changes you significantly.

You're wrong.

Dondarrion does not perfectly recover from each of these physical injuries, but instead carries severe scars from each wound, notably the remaining mark around his neck from when he was hanged, and his missing right eye which did not grow back. Moreover, according to Dondarrion being resurrected carries a heavy toll, chipping away at him and losing large pieces of his memory each time he's brought back.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Beric_Dondarrion

That is the tolls for being brought back, and it gets worse after every death.
Jon Snow has died once, Beric has died 6 times of course the penalty is higher for him.

Jon Snow's death releasing him from his vows is actually ambiguous. As Dolorous Edd says, Jon pledged himself to the Night's Watch for all the nights to come.

Wrong again.

Here's the first part of the Oath.

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death.

Jon Snow died, so he is released from the Oath as per the words spoken. End of story.

If he breaks the Oath, he would be killed, as above he was released from his vows when he died.

Because most people in the North won't really buy that Jon was resurrected unless there was a repeat with lots of witnesses. So he probably is an oathbreaker in their eyes, they just don't care

Songs will no doubt be written about him, to whom it really matters (the deciders of his fate) know the truth.

And GRRM has said a lot of stuff relevant to the show on the DVDs and in his interviews.

He even talked about his top characters he wished were on the show.

Not sure what this has to do with anything. GRRM does not write all the scripts for the show nor sign off from them. He can say what he wants at the end of the day it is D&D's production.

Aldebaran

Tommen:

KBNcZ.gif

Good episode overall, teleporting characters aside.

pa22word

I mean honestly though...what is the point of this thread anymore? The show is at least a book ahead of the books at this point. There's nothing left to discuss about that's purely exclusive to book readers. That this thread had bogged down to minutia and groveling about how the books will do it should be no real surprise to anyone.

This thread was honestly unnecessary a season ago. This season it feels like it's like a rotting appendage left floating purely out of a lack of shits given to merge them.

Bustanen

For an episode called winds of winter, it didn't really feel like winter had come besides Jon and Sansa commenting on it for a minute
What was the meaning of the bird from the citadel anyway? Is there a weatherman who announces the start of seasons or something?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
A real shame to see Margery go.

Great episode, though. The show version of Cersei is so, so much better than AFFC Cersei,

Cromwell

Banned
I mean honestly though...what is the point of this thread anymore? The show is at least a book ahead of the books at this point. There's nothing left to discuss about that's purely exclusive to book readers. That this thread had bogged down to minutia and groveling about how the books will do it should be no real surprise to anyone.

This thread was honestly unnecessary a season ago. This season it feels like it's like a rotting appendage left floating purely out of a lack of shits given to merge them.

This isn't really true at all. This thread has a lot of speculation every week about where the books might go after new revelations in the show, prompting people to bring up characters never introduced in the show that people in the show-only thread won't have a clue about. Also, the flood of posts would just be way too fucking high if everyone was centralized in one thread.

I'm also pretty sure nothing is stopping you from just posting in the show-only thread.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Apparently Varys has borrowed Littlefinger's teleporter? Why would he even go back to Meereen? Haha

Fine episode though.

When the squad calls, you answer. It don't matter if you are half way around the world. It's time to roll out in fashion.

Also the best Dorne scene since Bad pussy. Queen of Roses just telling the lot to STFU.

Will Aegon be forgotten completely from show?

I'm also bit worried that if ending is supposed to be the same, missing characters won't be important to end game on the books either. Of course D&D can share and move plotpoints to other characters too as they have already done.

Kain

We need a place to discuss "Varys is a merman" or "Euron = Daario" or "HS = Howland Reed" theories while saying how bad the show is for not implying those and more.

The books don't either

Let us have fun :(

Tiktaalik

Ya know I'm kinda salty that Jon got named king and Sansa didn't. Like, Winterfell is hers. They spent the whole season building up to her retaking her birthright only for her to get shafted by someone who has no claim. Only because he's Ned Stark's "son".

Keep on screwing the women over, D&D.

It is disappointing to see that the true oldest Stark is ignored, but this is pretty consistent with GRRM's vision of how things are done in Westeros.

Men inheriting and having rights superior to women seems like a constant theme that GRRM reinforces again and again. In the story this is referenced with Cersei's comparison's of her treatment to Jamie's and in the world building you see it often come up when Dorne is compared to the rest of Westeros, as in Dorne women are treated more as equals when it comes to inheritance.

If you really want to dig into the supplementary materials, GRRM wrote a massive I don't know what you'd call it, short story I guess, about a civil war the Targaryens had "The Princess and the Queen" that basically entirely came about because of a disagreement over whether a woman should inherit above a man.

Cromwell

Banned
Ya know I'm kinda salty that Jon got named king and Sansa didn't. Like, Winterfell is hers. They spent the whole season building up to her retaking her birthright only for her to get shafted by someone who has no claim. Only because he's Ned Stark's "son".

Keep on screwing the women over, D&D.

Is this a serious post? Jon lead all those men into battle and fought on the front lines with them. Of course they would want him to be their king. And D&D aren't screwing the women over, the two most powerful people in the show right now are women.

blackjaw

Is this a serious post? Jon lead all those men into battle and fought on the front lines with them. Of course they would want him to be their king. And D&D aren't screwing the women over, the two most powerful people in the show right now are women.

Don't forget the all powerful bad pussy

Yeah I can't tell if that post is serious or sarcastic. Most of the most powerful figures in the series right now are women.

And men suffer just as much as women do. No one is safe from pain in ASOIAF

CloudWolf

Jon was a terrible commander last episode though, I wouldn't want someone that says "fuck it" to all tactics and just charges towards a cavalry line on his own as my king.

You can also see all the white ravens leaving the Citadel when Sam arrives. Those are headed to different locations all over Westeros to announce the arrival of winter.
I guess I was expecting more "Everybody Panic!" throughout the episode than Jon and Sansa's sensible chuckle.

duckroll

Jon was a terrible commander last episode though, I wouldn't want someone that says "fuck it" to all tactics and just charges towards a cavalry line on his own as my king.

Actually, most of the people in that room weren't at the battle. All they know is that he won. They also got hyped by Lady Mormont and maybe Davos Lord of Hype. So it makes sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom