• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well most people in Westeros have no idea/don't care to adhere to any real threat beyond the Wall. To say Winter Is Here, for them, is just a change of seasons.
Im not talking about walkers. isn't winter by itaelf supposed to be really shitty. They just fought a couple of wars a short while ago and the country side is ravaged, I would assume they're not all that prepared

Though I vaguely recall something from the recap saying they have enough food to last 5 years of the winter or something. Can't remember when and what episode that was from

CloudWolf

One thing that didn't make sense to me (besides teleporting characters) was the fact that the Maesters of the Citadel apparently have no idea that Jeor Mormont died. I recently rewatched that episode and the episode after that Aemon is writing his letters to all the kings to help the Night's Watch and that Mormont is dead. Did he just forget to write the Citadel? Even Tyrion knew about Mormont's death, since he told Jorah about it last season.

Would you rather someone like Stannis who just stands back and watches his family burn? :p

Rickon was the true King in the North, RIP ;_;

One thing that didn't make sense to me (besides teleporting characters) was the fact that the Maesters of the Citadel apparently have no idea that Jeor Mormont died. I recently rewatched that episode and the episode after that Aemon is writing his letters to all the kings to help the Night's Watch and that Mormont is dead. Did he just forget to write the Citadel? Even Tyrion knew about Mormont's death, since he told Jorah about it last season.

Rickon was the true King in the North, RIP ;_;
Yeah that was strange. Even Tyrion knew about Jeor dying while he was at King's Landing when he talked to Jorah.

Jaime was so shook

I don't think he kills Cersei though.

Yeah, Cersei did what the Mad King only attempted, and Jaime killed him for that. Jaime's never really considered himself a bad guy, this is going to be the turning point for him on the show.

He's the only Lannister who hasn't done kinslaying yet. He'll kill either Cersei or Tyrion.

Didn't he kill his cousin when Brienne and he were going to King's Landing? Or was that just in the book?

dabig2

I'm really interested to see how Cersei's (likely brief) rule is portrayed next season. Every decision she made was for her children, and now that they have all died as foretold, how does she go about her daily life?

Her daily life will consist of reading reports on how the entire continent is up in revolt and warring.

He's the only Lannister who hasn't done kinslaying yet. He'll kill either Cersei or Tyrion.

Not true, he has been there, done that with his cousin.

He'll kill Cersei.

Arya stoneheart to team up with the hound again. No idea what they will do though. Maybe something with Littlefinger.

J4g3r

They really outdid themselves with the music in this episode, all the cues were perfection.

I'm a bit annoyed that they wiped the majority of the Tyrells like that though. I was really expecting Margaery to at least get some retribution for herself and her brother against the Faith Militant. Would have been nice to see her scheming with Olenna after that scene with the note showing her loyalty.

Also I'm sorry LSH people, maybe you'll get Arya using her mother's face next season. ;)

What's really the point of R+L = J? I mean Dany is still legitimate, unlike Jon who is still a bastard unless there was some secret wedding that can be proven, and Dany is the daughter of the king while Jon is only the son of the prince. And certainly no one else gives a fuck about Targaryens, neither the commoners nor any of the other houses could actually care less if the throne goes to someone with Targaryen blood or not.

dabig2

They really outdid themselves with the music in this episode, all the cues were perfection.

I'm a bit annoyed that they wiped the majority of the Tyrells like that though. I was really expecting Margaery to at least get some retribution for herself and her brother against the Faith Militant. Would have been nice to see her scheming with Olenna after that scene with the note showing her loyalty.

I actually liked that bit of misdirection the show gave. It was reminiscent of everyone expecting to see Robb's masterplan of taking Casterly Rock before the Red Wedding happened.

Aiii

So not worth it
What's really the point of R+L = J? I mean Dany is still legitimate, unlike Jon who is still a bastard unless there was some secret wedding that can be proven, and Dany is the daughter of the king while Jon is only the son of the prince. And certainly no one else gives a fuck about Targaryens, neither the commoners nor any of the other houses could actually care less if the throne goes to someone with Targaryen blood or not.

The Targaryens weren't ousted that long ago and rules for 3 centuries before that. After all that war that's ravaged the lives and lands of the smallfolk, I can imagine they're nostalgic even for the mad king (who really only burned nobility and such, most smallfolk wouldn't have been affected by his madness).

Robert's usurping the throne was only really legitimate through his blood ties to the Targaryens too, lets not forget. Cersei has no such claim. And both her and Dany have the problem of being women in a patriarchal society.

J4g3r

I actually liked that bit of misdirection the show gave. It was reminiscent of everyone expecting to see Robb's masterplan of taking Casterly Rock before the Red Wedding happened.

Absolutely.

The show wouldn't be anywhere near as awesome if it was predictable like that! :p

Enosh

this, I never understood the big deal about R+L=J

and people talking about Dany marrying Jon, why? he has nothing to offer her, he has a few hundred wildlings, 2 regions that are completely fucked from the war and the vale (and that one just because of LF), Dany has more than enough to smash through the 7 kingdoms and defeat the WW without any issues (assuming dragon fire >> WW)

Dany would be better off marrying Euron or LF than Jon

duckroll

Simple. It gives him a personal connection to Dany and will make it easier for audiences to digest why Jon and Dany would work together and trust each other without any character development between them and having never met before. When he knows she is family, it makes it harder for him to stubbornly oppose her. When she knows he is family, especially from her brother Rhaegar's side, she wilm want to trust and protect him because she heard all those stories about what a great person her brother was.

Visceir

Just means it is confirmed that Jon has some awesome Targaryen magic and could command dragons, maybe?

jdstorm

Banned

The theory assumes that there was a wedding in dorne, and that Jon is legitimate.

If ion is legitimate he would be first in the line of succession as Aerys firstborn son's only living child

Which would make him the rightful king of westeros

beril

Yeah, I was really hoping that whole thing would be a red herring and we'd just see Ned fuck some servant girl at the Tower of Joy instead. The whole secret bloodline bullshit is exactly the kind of fantasy tropes GoT doesn't need. Politically it has no meaning, except it weakens his claim to Winterfell I guess, and there is really no proof anyway. So the alternative is some silly chosen one crap because of his special heritage.

Moff

This was easily the best episode of this whole show, Miguel Sapochnik has been a blessing for D&D, so many beautiful shots. Battle of the bastards was awesome, but Winds of Winter was a masterfully crafted piece of art. And the emotions, my, so much payoff, even if some of it felt like anti climatic fan service, I don't mind, I am awed. I did not expect to be moved again after hold the door, but I actually teared up during several scenes in this finale, the beauty, the satisfaction, the vengeance, the justice.

- Cerseis godfather montage was an incredible opening, the music, the composition, the shots, the payoff. I am glad they did this first, the heavy foreshadowing made this entirely predictable, but I did NOT expect Margery to die, damn. After she revealed to Olenna that she was still Tyrell first and foremost I did not expect that, I expected her to be a player in the war of the queens to come. Also, Cersei's costume was fantastic, the best costume in a show that had tons of fantastic costumes. Beautiful, powerful, mad. She will go out with a bang. And farewell, Mace Tyrell, sweet prince, looks like Madness did not have it's due, yet.
DmNxDgu.gif

and OF COURSE the bell had to kill someone, of course, I don't mind.
Also, Tommen killing himself actually made me laugh, what a wonderful short death for a king with a short reign. Another thing I did not expect. I like how Cersei ordered Robert Strong to keep Tommen from the Sept, but her plan backfired anyway, it's fine, I approve of everything that furthers her descent into madness.

- Oldtown, I did not expect that either. Beautiful exposition shot, but the inside blew me away. First I thought this was straight out of Warcaft
djCxTXZ.gif

But then I realized this was the construct we see every time in the intro, amazing. What a wonderful idea. Don't tell me they had that in mind from the start, I won't believe it.

- Melisandre. Another surprise for me. D&D are in a rush and they are moving forward fast and killing off characters. Melisandre has revived Jon. I initially always believed her to be an endgame player, but during this season I expected her to die. Looks like she is meeting up with Arya, she told her at the BWB they would meet again. I am curious what she will do. I agree that Jon needs her against the Night King.
W7ZHNQd.gif

Wonderful acting from Liam Cunningham in this scene, I am glad they gave him a lot to do this season.

- Dorne, finally, we got a good scene in Dorne. All it needed was the Queen of Thorns. Many guessed Varys would be there, but Olenna was a surprise. She definitely mirrored the feelings of the audience when we saw the Sandsnakes in Season 5. No doubt D&D realized that with how fast the wrapped up the Dorne plot in Episode 1 just to have them put down by the Queen of Thorns. This actually made me glad Margery is dead, Diana Rigg is likely the best actress still on the show and I am glad she will still be around and on Dany's side. I could not put it better than Varys.
WTQv93e.gif

- Arya. Someone called it a few days ago in this thread and I believed it immediately, it made too much sense. Still, it felt a bit anticlimactic during all these highlights, and the Frey pie was pure fan service. Maybe this should have been in episode 9, this is too big for such a short scene with 0 build up. She kills off Walder Frey, this should have been done smarter.
5pUeRxF.gif

I do think it kind of pays off her whole Braavos plot, she had indeed learned to change her face.

- Bran. First of all, wtf Benjen, no explanation, no instructions, just leave them there without a horse. Is Meera supposed to drag Bran through the snow? And what about his mark, can the Night King pass the wall if marked Bran is past it? a LITTLE hint would have been nice.
Anyway, doesn't matter, what matters is the Tower of Joy
5ynjZoS.gif

How long have we waited for this? It was beautiful. We all knew it was coming but it's finally out and confirmed. Jon Snow is Rhaegar's and Lyannas son, it's no longer a theory, it's now fact. I felt completely satisfied, I already loved the fight with Dayne and the scene in the tower nailed it emotionally for me. Great work here, great transition to Jon as well after that.

- Jon. Ok let's get this straight out of the way. Lyanna Mormont is the MVP of this season and D&D's best original character (as far as we know). The actress stole every scene she was in.
3D1jJEz.gif

I did not expect another King in the North scene, I liked how it mirrored Robbs scene, but I expected Sansa to be crowned, according to Littlefingers Keikakku. Curious to see what he will try after that. I do think Kit Harrington did a great job, he IS Jon Snow, he acts and looks the part. There is no way I won't imagine Kit Harrington when I read TWOW, I genuinely like him. But I expected more change from Jon Snow after the resurrection, much more. He should have put all the lords to the sword who refused the call. I hope he will be more hardened in the book. And I know it's tiring, but Ghost should have been there. Also, Manderly should have been played by GRRM.

- Jaime. Did I already mention how much I loved Cerseis costume? It's interesting to see that D&D will put Jaime and Cersei against each other after all. She definitely seems to do down Aerys II's path as the mad queen and Jaime will have to stop her. I can see Jaime teaming up with his brother and Dany against her.
RmfIQbq.gif

I admit it, I love female power fantasies, I can't decide between Dany and Cersei now, mad, dark and beautiful, who should I root for in season 7?

- Dany. Lord is, this really happening? Is this really Dany finally coming to Westeros? It's still hard to believe? And how easily Varys beats both Littlefinger and Arya in the teleportation game, so easy.
SOpuIsU.gif

After season 5 and AFFC/ADWD I did not think ASOIAF could excite me anymore, but I am so glad season 6 proved me wrong. This season was incredible, I think it's almost as good as season 1, it started right off with highlights in every episode. Holding the door was the first standout moment and the two final episodes were nothing short of incredible. Despite all it's flaws, this is the most epic story we have ever seen on TV thanks to GRRMs groundwork and a lot of very talented actors, directors and simply HBO's budget that allows amazing costumes and special effects, this.

And the best thing about season 6 is that it actually made me look forward to reading TWOW, I know now that the plot will be moving and I can't wait to read a well written, different version of these events.

1>6>4>3>>2>>>5

If Rhaegar and Lyanna had a secret marriage (which is likely), then Jon would be the true heir to the throne, as Rhaegar was firstborn to the Mad King, and also because Rhaegar's other two children are dead.

CloudWolf

People like to think that Jon is one of the three heads of the dragon and him being a Targ would somehow make that more plausible, even though GRRM has stated that the heads of the dragon don't necessarily need to be Targaryen.

Branduil

Cersei being an insane idiot will never not be funny. I wonder what she thought Tommen would do when she killed everyone he cared about.

dabig2

Just means it is confirmed that Jon has some awesome Targaryen magic and could command dragons, maybe?

Yeah. It's why the 1 theory of Tyrion Targaryen has been prevalent for years. The dragon needs 3 heads and who better to fly those dragons then the Mary Sue trifecta.

beril

If Rhaegar and Lyanna had a secret marriage (which is likely), then Jon would be the true heir to the throne, as Rhaegar was firstborn to the Mad King, and also because Rhaegar's other two children are dead.

Rhaegar was already married. Is bigami accepted in Westeros?
Either way, no one cares about the Targeryans

Branduil

When the squad calls, you answer. It don't matter if you are half way around the world. It's time to roll out in fashion.

Also the best Dorne scene since Bad pussy. Queen of Roses just telling the lot to STFU.

Am I the only who half expected the sand snakes to kill Lady Olenna? I mean, it would have made no fucking sense, so it would have fit perfectly with their M.O.

Tsukumo

Return of Queen.
10 ENDINGS, ONE AFTER THE OTHER. LMAO.
Great finale all around. Had zero hype for this season because of season 5 but dammit, what a ride this sixth has been.
Now I'm interested to see who's going to turn into the big bad guy in the next seasons. Don't think Cersei will ever top Joeffrey or Ramsay in cruelty tbh, and Euron isn't much of a charismatic villain.

CloudWolf

Am I the only who half expected the sand snakes to kill Lady Olenna? I mean, it would have made no fucking sense, so it would have fit perfectly with their M.O.

It's going to be the first scene of the next episode and Obara will say: "Who's the grown woman now, bitch?"

Bustanen

Cersei being an insane idiot will never not be funny. I wonder what she thought Tommen would do when she killed everyone he cared about.
Maybe she wanted Tommen dead. She didn't look all that heartbroken. The throne was always most important for her.

Branduil

Maybe she wanted Tommen dead. She didn't look all that heartbroken. The throne was always most important for her.

If she wanted Tommen dead she would have just let him go to the sept. She's just a moron who couldn't think about anything but getting revenge on everyone who's "wronged" her, I mean she pretty much said as much in the scene with the septa.

Sheroking

Rhaegar was already married. Is bigami accepted in Westeros?
Either way, no one cares about the Targeryans

Polygamy is a thing that exists in portions of Westeros. Like I've said a few times now, there are no marriage licenses in Westeros.

As for nobody caring about the Targaryens - that's not accurate. Robert said it himself in the first season, "there are still those who call me usurper". Having a blood claim and rallying people around that is the entire political engine of the show.

Without Stark blood, Jon would not be the King of the North.

Polygamy is a thing that exists in portions of Westeros. Like I've said a few times now, there are no marriage licenses in Westeros.

As for nobody caring about the Targaryens - that's not accurate. Robert said it himself in the first season, "there are still those who call me usurper". Plus, having a legitimate claim is part of why people rally behind you. Having a blood claim and rallying people around that is the entire political engine of the show.

Without Stark blood, Jon would not be the King of the North.
Yep.

R+L=J is huge.

GorillaJu

Episode was fantastic. Im uneasy about Jon being "king in the north", I don't think he really wants to be that. I think he'd rather hSansa rule and that's going to cause some friction soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom