• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

Great to see everyone is up in arms about Dorne. Like do they think we're idiots? How the hell did they get on that boat. Martell's guards just ignoring his slaughter, what was that about. They were his most innermost guards and they just look the other way? Not buying it. And his son like killing him just seems so pointless, especially with the sand snakes magically being teleported to him to do it. If he was going to die, one would reason it'd be at the hands of the Lannister's. Honestly that was very poor of a show with this kind of budget. I'd expect plotholes like that from a CW show not fucking Game of Thrones...

Papito

Was the reveal even shocking in the least?

The reveal happened and I was all "Okay... So I guess Melisandre will die to revive Jon?"

The actual reveal was done well but telegraphed by the obscured mirror trope and the resulting 30 seconds of grandma nudity wasn't exactly appreciated haha

I thought it was pretty shocking as I don't follow theories about her character. I mean you could guess that she is older then she looks but not that she is hiding her appearance and that she looks like a female golem.

this may have been answered but i dont get it still.

didnt oberyn volunteer for the dual? he wasnt held captive and if he wasnt cocky, he could have won. their point of view for starting a war is as stupid as to why jon got killed in the show

Congratulations, you're Doran! I suggest you watch your back.

Zeliard

Was the reveal even shocking in the least?

The reveal happened and I was all "Okay... So I guess Melisandre will die to revive Jon?"

The actual reveal was done well but telegraphed by the obscured mirror trope and the resulting 30 seconds of grandma nudity wasn't exactly appreciated haha

What I don't get is why some people seem to think that scene was only there to show how shattered Melisandre is now.

I don't know about the rest of you, but being an apparent immortal who is able to perfectly disguise her appearance is a rather impressive demonstration of power, to say the least. What sticks out to me more than anything in that scene is that Melisandre has magical abilities beyond the scope of what we may have previously thought, reinforcing Davos's point in the previous scene.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
What I don't get is why some people seem to think that scene was only there to show how shattered Melisandre is now.

I don't know about the rest of you, but being an apparent immortal who is able to perfectly disguise her appearance is a rather impressive demonstration of power, to say the least. What sticks out to me more than anything in that scene is that Melisandre has magical abilities beyond the scope of what we may have previously thought, reinforcing Davos's point in the previous scene.

We don't really know how old she is though...for instance, she could just actually be an old lady disguising herself as someone young. Apparent immortal? Eh...we don't know that yet.

CassSept

I didn't find the ending that surprising, I think it was heavily implied in the books, or at least I tricked myself into believing it was. At the very least, she had been known to be far older than she looks and her ADWD chapter shows he is quite different from what she's presenting herself as.

It was a decent opener. It certainly could have been worse, but the episode on the whole was ok. Some of the dothraki stuff was bad though with cringeworthy half-Conan the Barbarian, half-Spanish Inquisition dialogue.

Dorne was just atrocious though. No other word. Atrocious. Tragic. Dreadful. There had been some shlock on the show before but that just takes the cake.

Did the show get another budget bump between season 5 and 6? It felt more expensive than before.

Papito

We don't really know how old she is though...for instance, she could just actually be an old lady disguising herself as someone young. Apparent immortal? Eh...we don't know that yet.

Well for one on inside the episode they said she was "centuries old". Also in an interview or something she said she was like 400 years old.

Zeliard

That makeup was a lot more than just "old lady" though. She looked decrepit and downright ancient.

Violet_0

Banned
So, Mel, in her weakened state, does powerful magic that she's never done before?

Mel, a priestess of the Red God, who we know can resurrect dead people, is locked up with the body of Jon Snow, and her character arc seems to be pretty much over anyway. How very convenient that those two characters happen to be at the same place just after Jon was killed. It's kinda obvious where this is going next

I mean, would anyone take up a bet that Jon is not going to be revived? This stuff is most likely going to happen in the books too

Why bother when that plot and character development has always been a divergence from the plot and characters that people actually give a shit about? Dorne was bloat in the books, and it's bloat in the show.

I agree. The readers/viewers obviously understand that all kinds of stuff is going on all over the world, but that doesn't mean the stuff that ultimately doesn't affect the "main" characters has any business being included. It's not a better story because of the addition of dead-end plots and go-nowhere characters.Robert Jordan made the same mistake, bringing in new character after new character, new faction after new faction.

Eidan

Are you actually questioning why Martin is bothering to create a world with characters and motivations that make sense? Where thousands of smaller choices avalanche into larger movements? I have no idea how to answer that without sounding incredibly condescending.

No, I'm not questioning anything really. I'm outright saying his stories are filled with bloat that weigh down the narrative and make the overall story a less enjoyable experience. There are many, many authors whose characters' motivations make sense, and whose stories show the consequence of small decisions, while also keeping the chains moving.

Bloat is a weakness of Martin's, that has only gotten worse as the series went on. I don't think I'm saying anything most of you haven't heard before. It's a pretty common complaint for the last two books.

Reddit now has me paranoid that Jon really COULD be dead for good, and the reason we saw Mel's glamour trick last night, is that they're going to have someone else be glamoured into being Jon vs. actually resurrecting him. This is crazy talk, right?

I interpreted Mel as depressed in that scene, not de-powered. You could see her slumping her shoulders, etc. before she took off the necklace.

Yeah, you could tell she was pretty upset. It was bad enough that what she saw in the flames about Stannis was wrong, and now she finds out the flames were wrong and Jon Snow as well. She was obviously distraught.

In the line for her resurrecting Jon and possibly sacrificing herself to do so.

Also, where was Edd off to? To get the help of the Wildings?

poncle

The scenery in Dorne is amazing, too bad for those sand snakes to ruin every scene they appear in.

Thought Melisandre would jump into a fire, was relieved from the ending of that scene. It's intriguing to see such a powerful character being so insecure, we had a whole chapter about it in the books, but that scene brought it to a new level.

Reddit now has me paranoid that Jon really COULD be dead for good, and the reason we saw Mel's glamour trick last night, is that they're going to have someone else be glamoured into being Jon vs. actually resurrecting him. This is crazy talk, right?

It would actually make sense to introduce her glamour spell, as we still don't know if she glamoured Rattleshirt in the show.

Flare

MHYSA* IS A MASTER

*Mhysa means 'mother'

N0wkngs.jpg

Eh, I tried.

Papito

I hope they ressurect Jon during the fight.Then he comes out of the room looking all pissed with everyone shocked to see him. Then he chops thornes' head off and feeds it to olly.

Disgraced

What if the Lord of Light is like the Flame of Py'tar in the Justice League episode "Hearts and Minds"
where Despero zealously misinterprets and misuses its power for tyranny when it's actually a benevolent, peaceful force?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Just remembered they showed Mel drinking the poison in S2. So maybe she is immortal vs really old? Or was that just another glamour?

I think the problem with Trystane dying, for me, wasn't even the teleworking sand snakes. It's that if the Sand Snakes wanted to kill him, they could have done it really easily in the exact same manner that they kill Myrcella. They were leaving on the same ship, the snakes had the poison, and it makes way more sense to kiss a relative than a random girl. It makes no sense to kill one of them immediately, then send two other girls to stalk the other ship all the way to KL before killing the other.

Ithil

I think the problem with Trystane dying, for me, wasn't even the teleworking sand snakes. It's that if the Sand Snakes wanted to kill him, they could have done it really easily in the exact same manner that they kill Myrcella. They were leaving on the same ship, the snakes had the poison, and it makes way more sense to kiss a relative than a random girl. It makes no sense to kill one of them immediately, then send two other girls to stalk the other ship all the way to KL before killing the other.

It feels like when Season 5 was written, they did not intend to have the Snakes kill off the Martells, that they came up with it between Season 5 and 6.
That may very well not be the case at all, but it feels that way, it's such a sudden shift.

Aiii

So not worth it
Why was the graffiti in Mereen written in English?

Tyrion, the most well-read character in the books that arms himself with knowledge, don't speak old Valyrian that well. They were only being considerate, knowing he would read it.

this may have been answered but i dont get it still.

didnt oberyn volunteer for the dual? he wasnt held captive and if he wasnt cocky, he could have won. their point of view for starting a war is as stupid as to why jon got killed in the show

Kind of repeating myself from earlier in the thread, but basically here's Ellaria in a nutshell from S5 onward:

- Super mad that Oberyn was "murdered" during a trial by combat that he volunteered to take part in, mainly because he started showboating while in the arena with the most physically imposing combatant in Westeros.

- Is hell bent on getting revenge for Oberyn's "murder" and wants Dorne to go to war over it.

- Decides to accomplish this by murdering off the family of the person she's trying to get revenge for.

It feels like when Season 5 was written, they did not intend to have the Snakes kill off the Martells, that they came up with it between Season 5 and 6.
That may very well not be the case at all, but it feels that way, it's such a sudden shift.

It feels like that for almost everything that happened this episode.

Kind of repeating myself from earlier in the thread, but basically here's Ellaria in a nutshell from S5 onward:

- Super mad that Oberyn was "murdered" during a trial by combat that he volunteered to take part in, mainly because he started showboating while in the arena with the most physically imposing combatant in Westeros.

- Is hell bent on getting revenge for Oberyn's "murder" and wants Dorne to go to war over it.

- Decides to accomplish this by murdering off the family of the person she's trying to get revenge for.

its so stupid though. he volunteered for a trial by combat. driving me insane

It feels like that for almost everything that happened this episode.

Like I said earlier: GRRM told D&D something about book 6/7 late in the writing process for S5/S6 and now they're like "oh fuck! Gotta get Dorne out of the way!"

Bet $5 right now that Iron Islands is handled in a similar fashion.

Euron

You're face to face with the man who sold the world

That would mean Kit returns to the show and still lied about being done with it for good.

Arkeband

Banned
So, Mel, in her weakened state, does powerful magic that she's never done before?

I don't know why people are believing she is in a "weakened state".

She is ALWAYS glamoured. She took off the necklace which provides her with a youthful appearance. She didn't suddenly age, she is always a crone behind the glamour.

This directly followed Davos saying she's super powerful. While she may be at a loss with what to do after her king and Jon Snow are dead, we all pretty much know what's coming - the question will be, will reviving someone come at the same assumed cost as it did Beric with LSH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom