• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euron

Posted awhile back:

'Game of Thrones' DeObia Oparei can't wait for an Areo Hotah fight

Areo Hotah has been an imposing presence in “Game of Thrones” Season 5, but the actor who plays him, DeObia Oparei, is ready for him to be more.
The right-hand man of Prince Doran Martell (Alexander Siddig) is a famed warrior and the closest advisor of Dorne’s ruler. Oparei compares Areo to the likes of Brienne of Tarth (Gwendoline Christie) and Hodor (Kristian Nairn); he’s the brawn behind the brains. But the actor, best known for roles in “Pirates in the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” and “Your Highness,” says by the end of this season viewers will have seen a bit of Areo’s political savviness as well.
“Areo works as a counterweight to the brass hysteria of the Sand Snakes,” he tells Zap2it of his intervention in the Sand Snakes’ fight with Jaime Lannister (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau). “But behind, Areo is also a political animal too. I think we get to see that later on, that he has a mind behind the brawn. I think that’s what’s exciting too, that it’s not just brawn, but of course I’m hungry to take some heads.”

Ok now I'm mad

You're face to face with the man who sold the world

That would mean Kit returns to the show and still lied about being done with it for good.

XS5LK.gif

Sneaky.

I really am terrified they're going to do it though.

Loglines for the next two episodes via HBO:
“Home”

Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) trains with the Three-Eyed Raven (Max von Sydow). In King’s Landing, Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) advises Tommen (Dean-Charles Chapman). Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) demands good news, but has to make his own. At Castle Black, the Night’s Watch stands behind Thorne (Owen Teale). Ramsay Bolton (Iwan Rheon) proposes a plan, and Balon Greyjoy (Patrick Malahide) entertains other proposals.
“Oathbreaker”
Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) meets her future. Bran meets the past. Tommen confronts the High Sparrow (Jonathan Pryce). Arya (Maisie Williams) trains to be No One. Varys (Conleth Hill) finds an answer. Ramsay gets a gift.

EDIT:

- Making Game of Thrones with a look at a couple of props from last night's episode

Like I said earlier: GRRM told D&D something about book 6/7 late in the writing process for S5/S6 and now they're like "oh fuck! Gotta get Dorne out of the way!"

Bet $5 right now that Iron Islands is handled in a similar fashion.

Or D&D can't plan for shit, as has been shown in previous seasons. BWB dropped, Gendry, dropped, Stannis mishandled, Sansa completely derailed, and then Dorne. When these guys stray from the source, they aren't very good. Things stop making sense and just happen because, reasons.

Zeliard

Not really. Took life drawing. Seen a lot of old nude people. Gravity does amazing things.

Did the gravity also add facial prosthetics?

She was made up specifically to appear much older-lived than a normal human without turning her into a ghoul. They didn't want to resort to heavy CGI for it, but the intention was pretty obvious.

Her design in general bears a strong resemblance to the hag/crone archetype found in much fantasy, who are typically characterized as very long-lived, and probably less so your average grandmother.

Hard to see Hotah as a great mind of politics and intrigue if the Sand Snakes were able to convert all of the guards under his command to their side without his finding out.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Reddit now has me paranoid that Jon really COULD be dead for good, and the reason we saw Mel's glamour trick last night, is that they're going to have someone else be glamoured into being Jon vs. actually resurrecting him. This is crazy talk, right?

Dolorous Edd, THE KINGINDANOOOOORF

Iksenpets

Banned
They could have Ramsay
find out somehow, and force them into giving Rickon up, instead of having them voluntarily hand him over.

I wish I were optimistic of that, but I'm not. My guess is Smalljon shows up, says his dad died, and then reveals that his dad had been conspiring to restore the Starks, but that he always thought Boltons ruled and Starks drooled, so he's going to destroy his dad's life work by handing Rickon over.

Wait, what the hell. Where are you guys seeing all this stuff about
Rickon?

Filming stuff and trailer conjecture:
Rickon and Osha's actors were both on set in Belfast for filming. Combined with the fact that in all the shots of the Bolton army in the trailers, there are Umber banners mixed in with the Bolton ones, things don't look good for Rickon.

Would be even funnier if they had the
Manderlys hand over Rickon instead

alas, these showrunners never bothered to introduce them in the first place. What a missed opportunity.

Euron

I wish I were optimistic of that, but I'm not. My guess is Smalljon shows up, says his dad died, and then reveals that his dad had been conspiring to restore the Starks, but that he always thought Boltons ruled and Starks drooled, so he's going to destroy his dad's life work by handing Rickon over.
The North Remembers

Benioff-and-Weiss.jpg

Dartastic

Filming stuff and trailer conjecture:
Rickon and Osha's actors were both on set in Belfast for filming. Combined with the fact that in all the shots of the Bolton army in the trailers, there are Umber banners mixed in with the Bolton ones, things don't look good for Rickon.
That would be super lame. I do not want that to happen at all.

gspec

If Mel is 400 years old then why didn't she know how to resurrect people. In the show, she was surpised that it can be done. She asked the Thoros of Myr how was that possible.

And why doesn't she try to resurrect stannis.

SuperHans

I interpreted Mel taking the necklace off as her giving up and going to bed to die of old age in her sleep. But I'm probably wrong.

If Mel is 400 years old then why didn't she know how to resurrect people. In the show, she was surpised that it can be done. She asked the Thoros of Myr how was that possible.

And why doesn't she try to resurrect stannis.

I think she was just surprised with the shear number of times it had worked for him.

bengraven

Rezzing Jon is going to cost her her glamour or life. I think that's why we see this. Because later we'll see her age up suddenly and ppl might interpret that as her giving up her youth or the spell causing her to age, not realizing she was already old.

Zeliard

Faces do change as people age. Noses and ears grow, often substantially.

I'm really not sure what you're arguing here. That Melisandre is still recognizably human? The makeup artists went to pains to portray her as exceptionally old without overuse of CGI or making her appear monstrous.

But she is factually hundreds of years old, she was designed to look ambiguously ancient while still appearing believably human, and nobody except apparently you would flinch if you were told that this woman is hundreds of years old.

So good chat, I guess?

Well... Not off to a strong start are we?

Praise the Seven that Brienne didn't suffer any consequences to her actions whatsoever. And Sansa should count her lucky stars that Podrick was there to talk her through that political formality. Sansa really isn't the sort of character who could know that stuff... oh.

To paraphrase Jim Sterling. This was a trash episode for dumpster people.

Praise the Seven that Brienne didn't suffer any consequences to her actions whatsoever. And Sansa should count her lucky stars that Podrick was there to talk her through that political formality. Sansa really isn't the sort of character who could know that stuff... oh.

Sometimes I'm surprised show Sansa knows how to breathe and talk at the same time.

I'd argue that it's actually a good thing that Sansa is still human enough to become flustered when she sees 5 or 6 (terrible) people get butchered.

mantidor

They seem so lost with writing Sansa. They make her play the people at the Vale to save Little finger, then they do the awful marriage thing, and now she's back to season 1 Sansa I guess?

Why would she stumble with that oath? she is not an inexperienced girl anymore, and she was taught about all these formality things since the crib, it's just frustrating.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Just watched this and what the bloody shit at Dorne.
I just spaced out the rest of the episode. Im not taking it seriously anymore. A book series for the ages gets watered down to hollywood level surprises for the masses. Nice one D and D.

Brienne is also the luckiest woman in Westeros. She manages to find the one person shes looking for out of the whole fucking country every time. Quality level writing.

If anything, at least it'll be a laugh.
Good to see my favourite character Jaime going down the shitter too.

Real Hero

They seem to reset the character constantly, compare jaime in the book to show jaime at this point. Have they just reset him so they do the riverlands story from the start?

belvedere

Junior Butler

Pretty sure the exchange was crafted that way to reinforce Sansa's distressed state. A way to contrast prim and proper Sansa with her present state.

Way easier to just #allgotshowcontentsucks tho.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Just watched this and what the bloody shit at Dorne.
I just spaced out the rest of the episode. Im not taking it seriously anymore. A book series for the ages gets watered down to hollywood level surprises for the masses. Nice one D and D.

Brienne is also the luckiest woman in Westeros. She manages to find the one person shes looking for out of the whole fucking country every time. Quality level writing.

If anything, at least it'll be a laugh.
Good to see my favourite character Jaime going down the shitter too.

They were all within a couple miles of Winterfell. She isn't randomly running into them on the way somewhere...this time. Now, Arya 2 seasons ago...

They seem so lost with writing Sansa. They make her play the people at the Vale to save Little finger, then they do the awful marriage thing, and now she's back to season 1 Sansa I guess?

Why would she stumble with that oath? she is not an inexperienced girl anymore, and she was taught about all these formality things since the crib, it's just frustrating.
10 minutes ago, she crossed across an icy river, after being raped and tortured for a few weeks/months. How dare she forget 4 words of a 25+ word phrase she's never actually uttered before.

A few more things that have popped up this afternoon:

- Matt Zoller Seitz's quick review for NY Mag
- NY Times interview with Sophie Turner
- Via Slate: Moleskine Re-Created Game of Thrones’ Opening Sequence Using 7,600 Paper Cutouts
- First episode of Watcher's weekly podcast on the show
- EW podcast for this week

So I shouldn't bother?
My impression, though I haven't listened to much of it over the years, is that it's amusing for entertainment value if you find them funny, but if you're looking for high level analysis from a book reader's perspective, it probably isn't the show for you.

Might be something to do with the prolonged psychological and sexual torture, the fall from Winterfell's walls, the trip through the freezing river, being threatened by hounds and witnessing a brutal fight.

Whatever other problems Sansa's storyline has had, I think she may be forgiven for being a little flustered.

Pretty sure the exchange was crafted that way to reinforce Sansa's distressed state. A way to contrast prim and proper Sansa with her present state.

Way easier to just #allgotshowcontentsucks tho.

Yup, nothing about that exchange seemed off to me. She just got done being chased by hounds and men ready to drag her back to her abusive rapist husband, and had never formally accepted anyone's service before. Of all the internal consistencies that bugged me in that scene, her stumbling over some words of an oath she clearly has never returned was the least of them. Plus, this was pretty awesome:
ob8byqoozugmbboazihu.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom