• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzu

They seem to reset the character constantly, compare jaime in the book to show jaime at this point. Have they just reset him so they do the riverlands story from the start?

I seriously doubt they will turn show Jaime into book Jaime at this point. lol

And since I'm at the top of the page, reposting this wonderful gif.

dorne8eogo.gif

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I liked that Sansa looked to Theon to get his approval before accepting Brienne's service. Good to see she knows her place.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
They were all within a couple miles of Winterfell. She isn't randomly running into them on the way somewhere...this time. Now, Arya 2 seasons ago...

Thats what I meant though, every time shes set out to find someone she always comes across them without even investigating. Bumps into Sansa at the inn, finds Arya, finds Sansa again, finds Stannis, finds Sansa again. Its just bad writting.
I liked the Brienne chapters in AFFC, while I know many didnt, but at least they were realistic. She was following a trail, and sometimes trails leads to dead ends, sometimes they work out. She seems to have a bloody homing device on the Stark kids in the show.
Yet despite all her good luck she missed Sansa lighting the candle by a second last season. It just drives me nuts how contrived everything is.

I actually loved the episode. Didn't have a problem with Sansa stumbling as I think that was meant to confer how shook up she was after everything not that shes still the same naive girl as season 1.

I also don't really have a problem with the whole Brienne conveniently finding her bit. These are long books and sometimes you have to expedite things to condense the narrative enough to fit into ten episodes. I would have preferred if they followed her story line from the books more, obviously, but it certainly wasn't enough of a snafu that I even really noticed until everyone here started complaining about it. Of course it seemed to be common knowledge prior to the premiere that she was going to stumble upon Sansa like that and everyone was already complaining then lol

Dorne though. What a fucking mess. I've been eagerly looking forward to the new book just so I can figure out what Prince Martell was up to because he seemed like he had it all figured out. He always seemed one step ahead in the books and had really grown on me as a character. Why even introduce him if he's going to be so inconsequential to the plot moving forward. What a God damn mess they made out of Dorne. Really

I have been super forgiving of D&D throughout the whole series but Christ they botched that story line so monumentally I don't think I can let them have a pass on shit anymore

ryseing

So I shouldn't bother?

I liked their recaps last season but I don't think the move to a visual medium is a good one for them. There's also some time constraints which means that they can't go an hour plus like they did last year.

Also, showing clips from the episode we just watched is dumb. How about showing relevant clips from past seasons? They should have shown Thoros and Beric when discussing resurrection because I'm willing to bet most viewers don't remember. I remember the details but I can't put a visual to it.

To be fair, they did make a few interesting, high level points. Just gotta get the details right. Saying something stupid like Ryan did just takes away from the rest of the show. And I doubt moving to HBO is going to allow for any criticism.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I will say, Show Theon's future prospects look a little better than I remember Book Theon's.

Book's seemed destined to die pretty soon. Show, Sansa has seemingly changed her opinion of him (knowing he didn't kill the brothers helped), and Brienne/Pod probably do not know who he is.

Dorne though. What a fucking mess. I've been eagerly looking forward to the new book just so I can figure out what Prince Martell was up to because he seemed like he had it all figured out. He always seemed one step ahead in the books and had really grown on me as a character. Why even introduce him if he's going to be so inconsequential to the plot moving forward. What a God damn mess they made out of Dorne. Really

I have been super forgiving of D&D throughout the whole series but Christ they botched that story line so monumentally I don't think I can let them have a pass on shit anymore

My only hope is that D&D realised the whole plotline was a disaster and have effectively shut it down as quickly, if messily, as they could.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I hope team sansa/brienne last forever and join the ultimate dream team of jon/melisandre/davos.

It'd would quickly become the Army of the Feel Good Good Guys.

They'd die in Episode 9 to Ramsey and the Sand Snakes, Westeros' new hit WF-Pop Group.

Damerman

Why didn't they kill the sand snakes instead of trystane areo and doran?

I don't give a damn about the dorne plot, book or show, but its pretty clear that they fumbled this.

Timbuktu

Why didn't they kill the sand snakes instead of trystane areo and doran?

I don't give a damn about the dorne plot, book or show, but its pretty clear that they fumbled this.

Maybe they fucked up the actors contracts. Maybe siddig had another gig lined up (one can hope)

Lothar

Banned
Are we going to get Jaime going to the Riverlands this season and maybe continue his arc that D & D stopped doing anything with in Season 3? It's so bizarre and shitty that Jaime and Cersei are still together.

Also bizarre and shitty that we haven't seen the Freys since Season 3. I know we'll at least see Walder this season. Any idea what episode that will be?

This episode was ok but nothing advanced and nothing happened. Thanks for showing us hitting Arya with a stick and Varys and Tyrion talking about nothing and stuff about white pussy hair. I liked the scenes with Sansa and Theon. That was about it. Alright, maybe the episode wasn't ok now that I think about it.

...I've been eagerly looking forward to the new book just so I can figure out what Prince Martell was up to because he seemed like he had it all figured out. He always seemed one step ahead in the books and had really grown on me as a character. Why even introduce him if he's going to be so inconsequential to the plot moving forward. What a God damn mess they made out of Dorne. Really

Melt him down and add him to the wall of shame with the others...

tumblr_mbovw0K87P1rv54ixo4_250.gif

got-game-of-thrones-33495704-250-359.gif

wants-peace.gif

pablito

This episode was ok but nothing advanced and nothing happened. Thanks for showing us hitting Arya with a stick and Varys and Tyrion talking about nothing and stuff about white pussy hair. I liked the scenes with Sansa and Theon. That was about it. Alright, maybe the episode wasn't ok now that I think about it.

I know it's not the same people...but we have complaints about some stuff happening too fast/conveniently. Complaints about nothing happening. I didn't think episode was perfect but sheesh.

Gigglepoo

I know it's not the same people...but we have complaints about some stuff happening too fast/conveniently. Complaints about nothing happening. I didn't think episode was perfect but sheesh.

There's a way for the plot to move forward without logic being thrown away.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yup, nothing about that exchange seemed off to me. She just got done being chased by hounds and men ready to drag her back to her abusive rapist husband, and had never formally accepted anyone's service before. Of all the internal consistencies that bugged me in that scene, her stumbling over some words of an oath she clearly has never returned was the least of them. Plus, this was pretty awesome:
ob8byqoozugmbboazihu.gif

What hounds?

Also, here's a video showing Melisandre's transformation into looking like a 70 year old woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1phzDLUZA6s

Lothar

Banned

Well killing a prince that had 2 scenes and no one cares about is nothing but it was also incredibly stupid that it required the sand snakes developing teleportation powers for it to happen.

By nothing happening, I mean nothing significant of course.

mantidor

One thing I will give to the North part is that it was shot beutifully, and yeah I get that Sansa was in dire circumstances but she was willing to die mere moments before "I'll die while there is still some of me left", maybe I need to rewatch the episode.

bitbydeath

Also bizarre and shitty that we haven't seen the Freys since Season 3. I know we'll at least see Walder this season. Any idea what episode that will be?

Episode 3 when LSH comes back, may see her hanging some Frey's, so maybe Walder in episode 4?

something i was thinking about earlier, that i don't think i've seen mentioned anywhere yet

if Sansa is traveling with Brienne now, will she be there when Brienne meets Ian McShane's character? when they see "the gravedigger"

what is that scene gonna look like with Sansa there, and Brienne being in a position to actually recognize him in this version of the story? i liked how that was just some subtle thing in the book that could potentially be glossed over. i assume it's not gonna be so subtle on the show

Iksenpets

Banned
something i was thinking about earlier, that i don't think i've seen mentioned anywhere yet

if Sansa is traveling with Brienne now, will she be there when Brienne meets Ian McShane's character? when they see "the gravedigger"

what is that scene gonna look like with Sansa there, and Brienne being in a position to actually recognize him in this version of the story? i liked how that was just some subtle thing in the book that could potentially be glossed over. i assume it's not gonna be so subtle on the show

Going by the trailers,
Sansa stays in the North. She's pretty clearly in scenes at Bear Island. It looks like Brienne and Pod head south in their own.

Massa

My guess? They decided to do that storyline after Oberyn was such a big hit, but then it turned to shit in season 5 so they're literally killing it off. The Sand Snakes might do something stupid here or there but imo they basically cut Dorne from the show with this episode.

Not a book reader, but just popping in to ask a question since I've been hearing about this a lot, but how did the show ruin the Dorne subplot?

From what little we've seen of it, I really like Dorne and am very interested in the kingdom and the characters, but also feel like it's subplot was kind of weak recently, but I've been hearing alot about how the show ruined it so would anyone mind telling me what the major differences are and how the show fucked up?

Not a book reader but I doubt think I'll ever read the books so I don't mind being spoiled.

pablito

There's a way for the plot to move forward without logic being thrown away.

As an example, I see people complaining about Brienne finding Sansa easily. Or the sand snakes getting on the boat. Some stuff happens off screen and we can't see all of it. I'm fine with cutting out whatever travel time it takes Brienne to find Sansa (or Stannis for that matter). Or cutting out showing sand snakes getting on a smaller, faster ship to get to Trystane.

There are things to complain about, sure, but some of it I can miss.

Lothar

Banned
Not a book reader, but just popping in to ask a question since I've been hearing about this a lot, but how did the show ruin the Dorne subplot?

From what little we've seen of it, I really like Dorne and am very interested in the kingdom and the characters, but also feel like it's subplot was kind of weak recently, but I've been hearing alot about how the show ruined it so would anyone mind telling me what the major differences are and how the show fucked up?

Not a book reader but I doubt think I'll ever read the books so I don't mind being spoiled.

Eh the Dorne part was shit in the books too. But the main thing is how it's ruining Jaime's character. In the books, his character change in Season 3 continued and he kept being a cool likable character.

Also feel free to stick around. The show has caught up to the books. There's nothing really major left.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

A Feast for Crows

Princess Arianne Martell, convinced her father Doran is a man of inaction who wishes to elevate her younger brother Quentyn Martell to rule Dorne, enacts a plot to crown Princess Myrcella Baratheon as queen. This fails due to a traitor in her conspiracy and Myrcella is disfigured in the process by Darkstar, Ser Gerold Dayne.

While Arianne is imprisoned, Doran confides that he hoped Quentyn would rule Dorne whilst Arianne would become Queen, as she had secretly been promised to the now-dead Viserys Targaryen in an effort to undermine those who lead to Elia's death. His new plan is to have Quentyn travel across the narrow sea to meet Viserys's sister, Daenerys Targaryen, and wed her instead.

A Dance with Dragons

Doran convinces Arianne and Oberyn's bastard daughters, the Sand Snakes, to work with him. Obara Sand is to guide the investigating Ser Balon Swann of the Kingsguard to hunt Darkstar. Doran reveals that Cersei was plotting with Balon to have Trystane murdered en route to King's Landing with Myrcella and to frame Tyrion Lannister.

Nymeria Sand is sent to take up the Dornish seat on the small council, while Tyene Sand follows her to King's Landing disguised as a septa, with the hopes of befriending the new High Septon. It seems likely that Sarella Sand is in Oldtown, disguised as a boy training to become a maester of the Citadel.
http://m.westeros.org/index.php/House_Martell

Dorne and Mereen were the obvious lowlights, but it's nice to have the show back. Mereen especially was such a dumb walk and talk exposition dump, then react to events that happened offscreen.

Ellaria Sand (old sand snake) is completely different in the books, she begs Doran not to seek revenge for Oberyn because it would just lead to a cycle of needless bloodshed and she recognized Oberyn died from his own cockiness. In the show she kills Doran and Tristain for not seeking revenge on the Lannisters.

In the books Hotah is a boss and carves people up with his axe, here he doesn't get a single fight scene.

In the books Doran has a great speech detailing about how he's been scheming and picking the Lannisters apart subtly, in the show he's a helpless old man who doesn't have a single loyal guard outside of Hotah.

I'm sure there's more.

Kozak

Banned
Reflecting back to the Melisendre scene.. I really don't know what D&D want us to take from that scene.

Seems like you could take it as her feeling weak and fragile as all the things shes seen in the flames is falling apart.

But then there was some weird focus on the light streaming through the window which she stared at with an almost defeated look.

Also Davos saying that they still have her as a draw card..

I don't know just a weird scene all around.

It doesn't make sense to me to reveal her to be like that and not tell us what it means to the actual story apart from her being older than we thought.

suzu

The only good thing about show-Dorne was Oberyn. For his paramour Ellaria to murder his beloved family for vengeance (while he was trying to get revenge for his sister's death) is hilarious. Or that any Dornish house would actually back a kingdom run by kin-slaying bastards instead of just starting their own civil war. lol

Dorne in the books wasn't amazing, but it's better than the show.

Gigglepoo

Even though I don't care for the action scenes, I'd rather Mereen was under attack from its neighbors with dragons lighting everything on fire than Tyrion and Varys reenact their season two story arc in another city. That would certainly have made for a more eventful opener.

It doesn't make sense to me to reveal her to be like that and not tell us what it means to the actual story apart from her being older than we thought.

Shocks without substance, that's the D&D way.

Speevy

Banned
Even though I don't care for the action scenes, I'd rather Mereen was under attack from its neighbors with dragons lighting everything on fire than Tyrion and Varys reenact their season two story arc in another city. That would certainly have made for a more eventful opener.

Tyrion and Varys: Well shit, Meereen is certainly being destroyed from the inside out. I think we'll have a humorous conversation.

Gigglepoo

Tyrion and Varys: Well shit, Meereen is certainly being destroyed from the inside out. I think we'll have a humorous conversation.

I keep hearing how the show is trimming the fat but then we have scenes like that or Ramsay talking about what to do with Myranda's body or the incredibly long Dorthrakai conversation that went nowhere. The show has pointless scenes and removes that history, backstories, and motivations that give the book so much depth. Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom