• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudWolf

who ever had a chance against three dragons and a dothraki horde?
we havent even seen anything from the white walkers at this point that could even defend them from being roasted by the thousands, unless they start bringing in mounted spiders that can web them down.

I wonder what will happen to stop dany in season 7, something needs to control those dragons, they are the ultimate weapon of mass destruction and grow probably even more.

I wonder if Euron still has that horn lying around somewhere and just forgot to mention it in the show.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Goddamn what an episode. Light of the Seven as the backing music to that whole sequence was just remarkable. Having R + L = J confirmed (Plus having Dawn as the "Bleeding Star"...Goddamn) is such a relief. I just worry about Littlefinger in all this. I don't like northern coronations...

Anyone else find it funny that all of these plotlines have been resolved (or at least acknowledged) except for Gendry himself?

He leading Dany's fleet. One row at a time.

z0qNzxn.jpg

So who does Jon appoint as new Lord of the Dreadfort? I hope it's Tormund.

I'd give Last Hearth to Tormund for killing Smalljon. I'd tear down the Dreadfort.

Speevy

Banned
I didn't have a problem with Varys because it would have taken at least a week to get all the Dothraki and unsullied into ships.

I can't believe people are complaining that they finally got rid of Dorne.

It's gone. It died on the way back to its home planet. The sand pussies are no more.

CloudWolf

It was a time jump. The same scene had Martell and Tyrell sigils on the sails of the boats.

He went back with ships, and then they sailed back to Westeros.

I wish they showed the scene where Varys proudly arrives with all those ships, just to see that his entire trip back was useless since Dany already has new ships.

AndyD

aka andydumi
we havent even seen anything from the white walkers at this point that could even defend them from being roasted by the thousands, unless they start bringing in mounted spiders that can web them down.

I wonder what will happen to stop dany in season 7, something needs to control those dragons, they are the ultimate weapon of mass destruction and grow probably even more.

The thing is if the wall comes down, and the winter sets in in full force, then the white walkers will be everywhere and three dragons may not do much on whole. I fully expect the dothraki army to sink at sea somehow before they even arrive.

I like the idea of Jaime having to be the one to stop Cersei. That ultimate irony would be incredible.

Indeed. Though I fully envision Melissandre joining up with Cersei first before Jaime has to put a stop to the madness.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I didn't have a problem with Varys because it would have taken at least a week to get all the Dothraki and unsullied into ships.

It's gone. It died on the way back to its home planet. The sand pussies are no more.

You take that back! Not till Bronn and Bad pussy girl shag.

Forkball

Cersei, Euron and Littlefingers grab for the throne is just laughable at this point. They have no allies worth mentioning. Each of them would be so hated they wouldn't last a week.
Littlefinger at least has a huge army that wasn't ravaged by war. Cersei has wildfire and is solely playing defense. Euron has nothing unless he breaks out that dragon horn . Dany still has the upper hand. Her only real conflict may be solely from politics and not on the battlefield. I really don't know what will be her big conflict. I mean she could wreck the Night King almost instantly.
Isn't marwyn the grand master? If so, the guy Sam talked to said he would meet with him.
Excuse you, ARCHmaester. Dunno if Marwyn will be in the show outside of it being in name only like Aeron. Judging from the library, it may be Dumbledore or Seath the Scaleless.

SpaceHorror

Two things:

1. Do they ever say in the books what Ned told Robert Lyanna died of?

I don't think so.

I've always assumed he told Robert she was dead when he got to her. With how much Robert hated Rhaegar and believed so strongly he kidnapped and raped her, it wouldn't be hard to make him believe he also brutalized her Mountain style or just outright killed her before he left. Or maybe that one of the king's guard had orders to kill her upon Rhaegar's death. Who knows. Basically anything that makes Rhaegar look even worse would have been enough for Robert.

Apt101

The Lannisters are underdogs? They sit the throne, the Kingslayer lives, and they are still as rich and numerous as ever. They are now the most powerful family in the south after what Cersei just did to the Tyrells. They're the family to beat now.

So Dany actually has three kinds of ships, huh... Dornish, Pike-eese and Slavers. In that picture up there, I only see two, though. But I'm guessing the ones with square sails are from Yara since they're kind of viking style, and the triangular sails are more spanish style, and therefore Dorne. Which makes Varys' teleportation actually make sense... her had to return with those ships before Dany's forces could depart.

I guess it's sorta similar, but I don't think that's what it's reminding me of. That track you linked shares too much of the theme from "No Time For Caution", and I've watched Interstellar so many times now that I think I would have thought of that movie immediately if that's what the GoT piano theme reminded me of.

The whole sequence reminded me of London Calling, which played during the opening of Star Trek Into Darkness -- which also culminated with a big explosion.

Goddamn what an episode. Light of the Seven as the backing music to that whole sequence was just remarkable. Having R + L = J confirmed (Plus having Dawn as the "Bleeding Star"...Goddamn) is such a relief. I just worry about Littlefinger in all this. I don't like northern coronations...

What do you mean by the bolded part? Isn't the bleeding star just another name for the red comet?

Ratrat

And Dany still thinks she has to marry...lol. The last living bachelor is a fucking Stark!
Littlefinger at least has a huge army that wasn't ravaged by war. Cersei has wildfire and is solely playing defense. Euron has nothing unless he breaks out that dragon horn . Dany still has the upper hand. Her only real conflict may be solely from politics and not on the battlefield. I really don't know what will be her big conflict. I mean she could wreck the Night King almost instantly.
Littlefinger doesn't own the Vale and will have a hard time persuading them to march all the way to Kings Landing so he can sit his low born ass on the Iron Throne. Cersei would be better playing defense in Casterly Rock where she pursumably has more bannermen. Euron is really a joke. It would be funny if Dany friend his ships as soon as they were built.

CloudWolf

The Lannisters are underdogs? They sit the throne, the Kingslayer lives, and they are still as rich and numerous as ever. They are now the most powerful family in the south after what Cersei just did to the Tyrells. They're the family to beat now.

I don't think they are that rich anymore. Didn't they get most of their funding from the Iron Bank and the Tyrells?

Moff

rid of dorne? Dany will land there and the sandsnakes will roll out the red carpet

Their gold ran out 2 seasons ago, they are massively in debt to the Iron Bank, and the war with Robb Stark greatly depleted their army.

In short, Lannisters are fucked.

kswiston

People thought the High Sparrow was Howland Reed? How does that make any sense? Up there with Star Wars fans thinking that Finn is Lando's son.

Moff

And Dany still thinks she has to marry...lol. The last living bachelor is a fucking Stark!

to be fair, she says she has to marry to make alliances to rule westeros, not to conquer it. and I don't think that's wrong. conquering and ruling are not the same thing.
and what use is her reconquering westeros for the targaryen dynasty if she has no children?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The Lannisters are the definite underdogs now. They need Drizz Lannster now more than ever. It's hard to believe I've been waiting for this guy's appearance for 5 years now ever since he was teased
on imdb.

The North and The Mother of Dragons will quake at the knees when they see Drizz bust out his dual repeating-crossbows shooting wildfire arrows while riding a Kraken.

Their gold ran out 2 seasons ago, they are massively in dept to the Iron Bank, and the war with Robb Stark greatly depleted their army.

Yep. Plus they have no allies, except what's left of the Freys.

The North and The Mother of Dragons will quake at the knees when they see Drizz bust out his dual repeating-crossbows shooting wildfire arrows while riding a Kraken.

Give them all the Emmys.

Apt101

Their gold ran out 2 seasons ago, they are massively in dept to the Iron Bank, and the war with Robb Stark greatly depleted their army.

Their army looked big as fuck to me when Jaime took back Riverrun. And that was just a portion of it.

Debt to the Iron Bank hasn't been an issue for anyone since season one.

The Lannisters are top dogs. Err, lions.

Violet_0

Banned
"Fuck Meereen" - truer words have never been spoken

first of all, Varys' teleporting ability rivals that of Littlefinger, I'm impressed. I really didn"t expect to see him on that ship at the end

pretty good episode, I gotta say. I quite liked the KL scenes (the music was nice, too), even though I'm not really sure why they let Cersei become Queen. Anyway, it's not like she's gonna survive next season. Oh, and where did she get that stylish evil-looking dress/military uniform from? Margaery correctly guessing Cersei's plan was somewhat contrived, but okay

the Arya scene was terrible. Arya has been terrible since she left Westros

I kinda get the impression that Danny is indeed turning a bit evil for the last season, but we'll see

all in all, this was one of the better seasons. I do hope the books will progress the story differently, though

mantidor

Cersei is done. Dany doesn't even need to invade. The people despised her already, after she blows up their holy place killing the rulers people loved like the High Sparrow and Margeary it would take nothing to make King's Landing descend into civil war.

I mean no one is stupid enough to not at least suspect it was Cersei behind the explosion in the sept.

Tiktaalik

A problem with the show is that it does feel like the Lannisters are a spent force, whereas Dany has been being built up for years where we're now at the point where she appears super OP. It doesn't really feel like there's any danger in her going to Westeros.

This is true somewhat in the books as well, though if Aegon does well, captures Kings Landing and rallies a lot of support, maybe the invasion will be more interesting and have a greater sense of danger.

SpaceHorror

What do you mean by the bolded part? Isn't the bleeding star just another name for the red comet?

The Prince Who Was Promised prophecy deals with a red bleeding star, both showing up when one is present, or being born under one. Dawn, the great sword of House Dayne, is said to have been forged from pieces of a meteorite aka a falling star. Ned placed a blood splattered Dawn at the foot of Lyanna's bed. So, a bleeding star.

Just cool symbolism, really.

He leading Dany's fleet. One row at a time.

z0qNzxn.jpg

I'd give Last Hearth to Tormund for killing Smalljon. I'd tear down the Dreadfort.

HOLY FUCK. I was wondering why they focused on Dawn in that Tower of Joy scene.

Azor Azai confirmed.

A problem with the show is that it does feel like the Lannisters are a spent force, whereas Dany has been being built up for years where we're now at the point where she appears super OP. It doesn't really feel like there's any danger in her going to Westeros.

This is true somewhat in the books as well, though if Aegon does well, captures Kings Landing and rallies a lot of support, maybe the invasion will be more interesting and have a greater sense of danger.
I feel everyone feels that way. There is kind of no reason for Dany not to just take the whole kingdom with her eyes closed. Which means her foil will either be the mad queen or Euron?

Iksenpets

Banned
Hey, the finale was good! Thoughts:

- The opening bit on the trial was fantastically done. They were saying goodbye to a ton of characters, and they managed to give them all pretty good notes to go out on. Except Kevan. Poor Kevan didn't get a line. But Mace got to act pompously indignant, Pycelle got to have a brief flash of not acting, Lancel actually got to be the focal point of a big scene, and Marg was able to be a queen again for just a little bit. Tommen's suicide was weird, but I guess understandable, even if that one's obviously not happening in the books. Mad Queen Cersei looked fantastic, and I'm excited to see what she and Crazy Qyburn get up to, though I don't see how long she can survive if the combined Martell-Tyrell forces are coming, even before Dany gets there.

- Oldtown and the Citadel looked great, and the explicit reference to the Archmaester makes it sound like we're going to get at least some of the characters from that story next season.

- I'm not really feeling the Dany/Tyrion dynamic. Their conversation felt flat and overly long. But at least without Daario around the Yara shippers can go wild!

- The Arya scene was good (poor Lord Manderly though, being reduced to a nobody and having his pies taken by Arya) but after her awful season, it felt like kind of a cynical move to teleport her over there to give us a fun murder. Like, sorry for wasting all that time in Braavos! Here, have this! One other complaint is that the whole Riverlands plot, now that it seems ended by Frey's murder, feels a little useless. The siege and Blackfish's death tied into nothing at all. Every character made it out of there pretty much exactly as they were before. Maybe Arya will bust Edmure out and he can have some future relevance that will make that all worthwhile? (Also, did Jaime completely renege on his promise to get Edmure a comfortable place at the Rock?) This whole scene feels kind of prescient for how the adaptation will work from here on out. Frey's death, a plot in the book that seems like it will involve a lot of stuff from the Brotherhood and Blackfish and who knows who else gets reduced into a single Arya scene.

- The Northern stuff, as a book reader, is kind of frustrating, just because we lost the whole Northern conspiracy dynamic where characters like Glover and Manderly were hardcore loyalists working for Stark restoration the whole time, whereas here they're grumpy dudes who have to be beaten into line by Lyanna Mormont. But ignoring the books, it was a good storyline on its own, and the ending paid off well. Don't know where it goes from here though. Does Jon get pulled into Southern affairs? Or does he stay focused on the North? Do the Riverlands sign on to King Jon now that they're free from Frey? How badly is Littlefinger going to fuck this all up, especially since Jon seems to have taken control of the Knights of the Vale from him.

Edit: Oh, two quick other things: Tyrion pledged himself to Dany "now and always", the same phrasing Theon used with Robb. Foreshadowing? And then Jon's reference to the enemy "bringing the storm", hint at Euron's involvement with the White Walker stuff in the future?

Yeah even if his parents were secretly married and he's legitimate (how anyone would know this is beyond me) and he was technically first in line to the throne, Dany has the dragons and will be Queen because she will be the one to actually conquer Westeros. She will gain the throne not because all the little folk have been Targ loyalists this whole time, with secret dragon banners hidden away, but because she will conquer Westeros and destroy everyone in her path.

I think the most likely relevance of Jon's Targeryen heritage is the fact that those with Valyerian blood seem more likely and able to ride dragons. This factoid has been brought up in the books about a thousand times.
Yeah, I don't see Jon trying to reunite the seven kingdoms to become their king. More likely he'll just try to lead every army against the White Walkers, and either actually being Azor Ahai or having people believe he is will help in that endeavor. Dany actually wants to be queen.

I guess Jon will probably stay as King of the North or go back to The Watch after his family/The North has been avenged, the White Walkers stopped for good, and King's Landing purged of Lannisters.

Speaking of which, didn't Cersei kill a lot of nobles in that explosion as well? And what army does she have? I can see the city locking down and resisting a siege (not against dragons though) but how is she going to keep order within the city walls? She's going to get sacked by peasants.

Violet_0

Banned
Cersei is done. Dany doesn't even need to invade. The people despised her already, after she blows up their holy place killing the rulers people loved like the High Sparrow and Margeary it would take nothing to make King's Landing descend into civil war.

I mean no one is stupid enough to not at least suspect it was Cersei behind the explosion in the sept.

see, that's exactly what I was thinking, yet she's Queen now and I suspect blowing up the Sept will have no consequences for her next season besides the fact that Jaime is probably (and by that I mean very likely) going to kill her

Ratrat

to be fair, she says she has to marry to make alliances to rule westeros, not to conquer it. and I don't think that's wrong. conquering and ruling are not the same thing.
and what use is her reconquering westeros for the targaryen dynasty if she has no children?
I thought she cant have children? The Targs never relied on marriage alliances before.
She should just marry Tyrion.

mantidor

What was sansa reaction to jon being warden?

Well he's not warden, he's king. I took it that she was ok but worried about what Littlefinger might do. She was smiling and everything until she made eye contact with Littefinger.

From cast interviews its supposed to be more ambiguous, she wanted more recognition at least.

Apt101

Jon is going to have to kill super villain Sansa and give birth to Lightbringer. Petyr will kill Jon as the war against the dead is being won so that he can sit the Iron Throne. Baelish will have everything he has ever wanted and nothing. Then Arya will kill him. The Wildlings will paint a gigantic mural of Tormund and Brienne and parade it South.

Edit: Brienne will be queen with Tormund as her king and Podrick will be their son as Bree can't have kids. Also Clegabowl will rip Westeros in half and kill half of the populace.

CloudWolf

Yeah, that's why I still believe that Aegon will be a major player in the books (and that he is actually Aegon and not a Blackfyre). He's the only one that actually could pose a plausible threat to Dany when she comes. He's got the support of Dorne, Varys and maybe others, a big army and he'd be the true heir.

mantidor

see, that's exactly what I was thinking, yet she's Queen now and I suspect blowing up the Sept will have no consequences for her next season besides the fact that Jaime is probably (and by that I mean very likely) going to kill her

That would honestly piss me off. I hope it doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom