• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
what's Melisandre gonna do on her solo trip down South? I'm guessing she'll meet up with the Brotherhood Without Banners and The Hound, have some deep meaningful discussions with Beric about the true nature of the Lord of Light, does something to redeem herself and then bites it (probably by sacrificing herself)

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm not sure that was a smile rather than a grimace. He was legit pissed off.

Yeah, Sansa resisted his manipulation. She let Jon take control, and was smiling about it. Plus, the Vale is now directly pledged to Jon, so LF has essentially lost his army. He's back to just being the Protector of the Vale in name only. And that probably foreshadows bad things, because his only move now is to blow up the Northern alliance to try to rebuild something for himself out of the pieces.

Also, I didn't mention it earlier, but Davos' scene this episode was probably the best performance this show has scene since some of the season 2 Theon stuff.

Did I miss it or we never got to see Euron's Dragon Horn in the show? I assume it wasn't shown, just like the Horn of Winter.

No horn was mentioned, though I could see them moving the horn to Oldtown, and having Euron get it there. Then the dragon theft could happen once Dany lands in Westeros.

Black_Sun

Holy shit Linda.

large-salt-pile1.jpg

She could not accept Jon as king of the north.

If someone had just defeated the Boltons for me, I'd declare them the king of the damn world.

Then they and you should be declaring Littlefinger the King in the North because Jon didn't win his battle. He lost until LF bailed him out.

So were Maise and Sophie just fucking with us in their "Two truths and a lie" answers?

Sophie
“Ramsay dies.”
“Lady Stoneheart returns.”
“Arya checks three people off her list.”

#1, check. #3, technically check. She kills 3 Freys, they're playing fast and loose with the "list".

Maise
“Arya goes to Westeros, back over the sea.”
“Arya is in the trailer more times than people have realized, because they don’t realize it’s her.”
“Arya doesn’t cross any more names off her list.”

#1, check. #2, I'm not sure but maybe the serving girl Arya played is in the trailer where Walder raises his chalice.

Moff

So were Maise and Sophie just fucking with us in their "Two truths and a lie" answers?

no, but close
arya did not strike three people off her list, only one
she was not in the trailer as that girl

both could have been genuine mistakes, though. maybe williams thought that girl was in a trailer and turner thought maybe roose and someone else was on aryas list as well.

those are the original answers:

Maisie Williams's (supposed) two truths and a lie
Arya goes to Westeros, back over the sea.
Arya is in the trailer more times than people have realized, because they don't realize it's her.
Arya doesn't cross any more names off her list.

Sophie Turner's (supposed) two truths and a lie
Ramsay dies.
Lady Stoneheart returns.
Arya checks three people off her list.

still, quite spoilery answers from the 2 ladies, haha. I always believed there was some truth to them, they would have simply refused to answer those questions otherwise.

Jon ran into Ramsays trap like a little retard last episode and now he's king of the north? Are these northerners stupid?

Then they and you should be declaring Littlefinger the King in the North because Jon didn't win his battle. He lost until LF bailed him out.

He was the one that put the events in motion for the Bolton house to fall. Even if he isn't much of a strategist (the understatement of the year) he's still brave/stupid enough to go against the odds when he must. A true Northerner.

It is unknown what magic allows Danny to be immune to fire, yes? We do know that she was born during an intense storm. We do know that the Lord of Light is a very real thing with very real powers. Is it possible that we've got a Battlestar Galactica situation here where the Lord of Light has been guiding the two camps (Jon and Danny) towards uniting and achieving the goal of defeating the White Walkers and possibly all opposing magics or remains of other deities' influence on the world (the Children, the Wall, the seasonal pattern of Westeros, etc)?

Black_Sun

A problem with the show is that it does feel like the Lannisters are a spent force, whereas Dany has been being built up for years where we're now at the point where she appears super OP. It doesn't really feel like there's any danger in her going to Westeros.

This is true somewhat in the books as well, though if Aegon does well, captures Kings Landing and rallies a lot of support, maybe the invasion will be more interesting and have a greater sense of danger.

Yeah Aegon and Euron are actually meant to give Dany a challenge as well as being her foils as they're all late hour newcomers to Westeros.

Cersei's on the verge of wiping herself out. And Dany he two more kingdoms that have allied with her than whatever her book counterpart is going to get. That's OP.

Im kinda expecting Euron and Cersei to be the actual Big Bads of the next season since Oldtown showed up after all

Sheroking

You could possibly argue that The Waif probably made Arya's list.

Also, technically, Walder Frey is the third person she has personally struck off her list. Albeit, the two others were done in Seasons 4 and 5.

void666

Banned
All of Cersei's enemies died in the explosion, the king committed suicide right after and not even a week after that she usurps the throne. I think the average joe would also think that's a bit suspicious.

Suspicious yes. But they can't know fur sure.
Besides it is known, or at least i think it is, that Aerys had stashes of wild fire hidden in the city.
And with something as volatile as wild fire an accident like this was bound to happen anyway sooner or later.

Speevy

Banned
Littlefinger isn't even from the north, and in a patriarchal society, they're not going to give a woman credit for anything.

Jon showed his bravery on the battlefield, so it makes sense that they'd give him the token mantle "king of the north", especially since the title lacks all meaning at this point in the story. The north isn't rebelling against anything. They're fighting the whitewalkers. Jon could be declared lord of candy mountain at this point. It made for a cool scene and people are just being nitpicky.

It also gives us a nice parallel with Robb since Jon has been given real power, and he won't squander it by marrying or making deals with vicious lords.

How the hell are Sansa and Littlefinger going to unite the north against the whitewalkers?

Having either of them get credit for this victory would have been stupid. Jon put his ass on the line, not them.

Ultimadrago

All of Cersei's enemies died in the explosion, the king committed suicide right after and not even a week after that she usurps the throne. I think the average joe would also think that's a bit suspicious.

Maybe Bravos will have an elaborate play detailing all of the different perspectives and events.

TRios Zen

I thought the beginning of this episode was a little off. The premise that they would start a trial without one of the prime defendants present after that same person had just murdered an emissary of the faith when last called upon - seemed unbelievable. I mean, I get why they need that to happen, but the origination of it seems so ham-fisted. A small stain on an otherwise great episode. Music was so on point though.

Interested to see how events of this season unfold in the next. King's Landing, Riverrun and the Twins should be a mess, falling apart.

The North needs to restructure for coming winter (Lady Mormont better survive the series dammit!).

Danny coming to start some shit in the South, White Walkers up North. Going to be a long off-season.

CloudWolf

Suspicious yes. But they can't know fur sure.
Besides it is known, or at least i think it is, that Aerys had stashes of wild fire hidden in the city.
And with something as volatile as wild fire an accident like this was bound to happen anyway sooner or later.

Actually, that wasn't common knowledge. Jaime knew about it, which is why he killed Aerys and the pyromancer, but no one else knew. Even when Cersei asked Qyburn to look into it they referred to it as a rumor.

Speevy

Banned
I thought the beginning of this episode was a little off. The premise that they would start a trial without one of the prime defendants present after that same person had just murdered an emissary of the faith when last called upon - seemed unbelievable. I mean, I get why they need that to happen, but the origination of it seems so ham-fisted. A small stain on an otherwise great episode. Music was so on point though.

Interested to see how events of this season unfold in the next. King's Landing, Riverrun and the Twins should be a mess, falling apart.

The North needs to restructure for coming winter (Lady Mormont better survive the series dammit!).

Danny coming to start some shit in the South, White Walkers up North. Going to be a long off-season.

When someone isn't present for a trial, you present the evidence of their guilt and sentence them.

For those wondering what Miguel Sapochnik is doing next, he will be directing the first episode of Altered Carbon on Netflix. Miguel is the guy who directed Hardhome, The Gift, and the last two episodes of season 6 Game of Thrones including the finale.

Huge get for Netflix/Altered Carbon. Amazing books too, definitely going to be a show to watch.

Black_Sun

Now that the season has ended, what did it "spoil" in The Winds of Winter? I can't think of many things.

-- Jon will be resurrected (although we don't know how or why nor do we know how he'll change)

-- Hodor's name comes from "Hold the Door"

-- Dany goes to Westeros

-- The Children of the Forest created the White Walkers

-- R+L=J

That might be it? It's kind of incredible, really, how few things were spoiled. We can guess if other events will happens (Cercei blowing up the sept, Arya leaving Braavos, Ramsay dying, Sam stealing his father's sword), but I have no idea if they will play out the same way or at all. Chances are that very few, if any, things will play out in the same manner.

As D & D said, GRRM only gave them vague landmarks.

There's also

Dany getting the Dothraki to her side

And Jon becoming King in the North

That's about it

Kallor

She's going to fuck everything up again. Hopefully not, but we'll see.

I really like their version of the bleeding star, if that was actually their intention.

She knew Ramsay better than Jon and got lucky that Littlefinger is playing some long con, now she thinks she should be queen of the north? Get the fuck outta here with that shit, Sansa.

Hopefully Arya deals with Littlefinger ASAP.

duckroll

She probably had it moved.

I don't think she moved any of it. Just last week we were reminded by Tyrion in the totally on the nose dialogue where he says Aerys kept caches of wildfire below all the prime locations in the city, including the Sept Baelor.

Sh had some moved. Aerys planned to burn all of King's Landing to the ground, obviously that didn't happen.

I don't think it's an interconnected thing where one explosion would set off the entire city, but rather he had caches placed under every prime location as a sort of insurance, so he could blow up any one he wanted, or all of them.

Jetman

hipsterpants said:
with Dany barren technically the only way to continue the Targaryen line would be for Jon to have a child.

I wonder if that will ever be brought up.

Don't forget the son she had with Drogo. There's no way he/it is dead, seeing as we never really saw it happen.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Jorah shows up in Westeros with the little guy at some point.

Speevy

Banned
How are the non-book readers you know interpreting Jon's parentage? I have encountered a few confused people today.

I would think that the show made it clear that Jon was Lyanna's baby, and not Ned's.

Lyanna made Ned promise to look after it.

The Rhaegar bit is unnecessary at this point, as no character is actively talking about it.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
He was the one that put the events in motion for the Bolton house to fall. Even if he isn't much of a strategist (the understatement of the year) he's still brave/stupid enough to go against the odds when he must. A true Northerner.

Despite the mess on the battlefield, Jon did manage to prevent a siege situation and take Winterfell before winter closed in. Since Wun Wun died, Jon's the next logical person to rally behind.

HBO needs to throw $$$ at Miguel Sapochnik to get him on board for as many episodes as possible over the next two seasons. His direction in these final two episodes was brilliant.

Moff

How are the non-book readers you know interpreting Jon's parentage? I have encountered a few confused people today.

looking at the show thread, many did not completely understand it

should have had Bran like:
3053154-1630525227-2JrU4.gif

"So Jon is the baby of Dany's brother and aunty Lyanna, not my fathers"

CloudWolf

with Dany barren technically the only way to continue the Targaryen line would be for Jon to have a child.

I wonder if that will ever be brought up.

I don't think it was even ever mentioned in the show that she's barren, that may be a book-only thing. It definitely wasn't in the first season.

Black_Sun

Are we sure about that one?

Yeah, people don't explore the underground of the city.

GRRM has been laying the groundwork for Jon becoming the King in the North for years

Robb's will, Robb dying, Bran and Rickon disappearing, Sansa marrying a Lannister and then Arya disappearing

I would think that the show made it clear that Jon was Lyanna's baby, and not Ned's.

Lyanna made Ned promise to look after it.

The Rhaegar bit is unnecessary at this point, as no character is actively talking about it.

I had someone assume that it was another Robert Baratheon bastard.

Jarmel

Banned
I thought it was moreso a manipulative "I told you so" grimace.

Sansa wanted Jon to rule so it seems weird she would be salty about Jon's popularity. This however actively fucks up Littlefinger's plans.

I don't think she moved any of it. Just last week we were reminded by Tyrion in the totally on the nose dialogue where he says Aerys kept caches of wildfire below all the prime locations in the city, including the Sept Baelor.

It doesn't really make sense then that someone hadn't stumbled across these caches earlier. Twenty years is a long time for a populated city.

I assumed most of the Wildfire was stored in a separate facility.

Speevy

Banned
King in the north isn't a title that is recognized by Tommen, Cersei, and especially not Dany.

Stannis didn't want a king in the north.

It's pretty much the northerners being independent, but they can't remain fully independent if they're going to join the fight against the whitewalkers.

The war for the dawn will include southerners, northerners, people from Essos, basically everyone.

What the hell is this? Maybe you should let people absorb media how they want and not make it into some kind of quality of life competition.
It's me saying that I get where you're coming from (which you ignored and opted for lame-o internet rage), but that I'm glad I'm just a casual escapist fan, which I'm allowed to be, and for which I'm allowed to be thankful.

No, that was Sansa too, Jon was "done fighting" and was going to go sunbath in Dorne or some such until Sansa talked him into fighting Ramsey.

Speevy

Banned
I had someone assume that it was another Robert Baratheon bastard.

That doesn't make any sense because the show has only ever said Lyanna was kidnapped by Rhaegar.

Robert would not have had sex with Lyanna outside of marriage. He'd screw other women on the side, but not his betrothed.

That's how it was supposed to work, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom