• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
There is only one Kingdom at the start of the show. We peak at Five Kingdoms during the bigass war. North, Ironborn, Lannister-Baratheon, Tyrell-Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon.

NoTacos

Are Varys and Little Finger in communication with each other? I need to re watch the early seasons.... I still see Little Finger sitting on the iron throne, once the dust has settled. He's playing the game the best. Even when loses, he stills wins. (Sansa going over to the Boltens)
I feel they were always against the Lannisters, but worked separately on their own agendas.

Varys would never support Littlefinger as king.

Speevy

Banned
There is only one Kingdom at the start of the show. We peak at Five Kingdoms during the bigass war. North, Ironborn, Lannister-Baratheon, Tyrell-Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon.

-Dorne
-The Reach
-The Stormlands
-The North
-The Iron Islands
-The Westerlands
-The Vale

ryseing

It's an expression. I feel like this conversation has been had before ITT.

Stormlands, Vale, Reach, Dorne, Riverlands, North, Westerlands. Iron Islands are typically included with Riverlands. Seven.

Brakke

Banned
-Dorne
-The Reach
-The Stormlands
-The North
-The Iron Islands
-The Westerlands
-The Vale

I know what the original Seven Kingdoms were. They stopped being kingdoms like three hundred years ago. Your list leaves off The Tully Riverlands which were not a Kingdom at the time of Aegon's Conquest but which were a great house with bannermen and holdings at the time of Robert's Rebellion.

Brakke

Banned
It's an expression. I feel like this conversation has been had before ITT.

Stormlands, Vale, Reach, Dorne, Riverlands, North, Westerlands. Iron Islands are typically included with Riverlands. Seven.

Speevy's original question was "What Westerosi armies have never done battle, either on screen or off?". Who would count Ironborn and Riverlands as one army? I listed the houses large enough to raise legitimate armies. We started with eight great houses. I suppose we're down to seven now that the Baratheons are extinguished.

I feel they were always against the Lannisters, but worked separately on their own agendas.

Varys would never support Littlefinger as king.

Why not? I would think Varys and the people would be fine with Littlefinger. They want peace. Littlefinger isn't an invading warlord, a foreigner, incestuous, insane or have insanity in his genetics, wrapped up with magic, bringing hordes of rampaging barbarians and monsters to Westeros, worshipping weird gods, etc. He's a smart guy who just wants to be in charge. Once there, there is no reason to think he would be a bad ruler. He's rational.

ryseing

Speevy's original question was "What Westerosi armies have never done battle, either on screen or off?". Who would count Ironborn and Riverlands as one army? I listed the houses large enough to raise legitimate armies. We started with eight great houses. I suppose we're down to seven now that the Baratheons are extinguished.

Fine. Whatever. The point still stands. Martells are the only major house that hasn't done battle and they can raise the smallest army, which is show canon as I just checked the Wiki.

Speevy

Banned
I just listed the kingdoms the show is probably referencing when they refer to seven kingdoms.

Like when Tywin says "There are seven kingdoms."

Those are the ones, aren't they?

phaze

I've skipped the past season or maybe even two and didn't care all that much for this one either but I just wanted to say, this was a really stellar episode.

Why not? I would think Varys and the people would be fine with Littlefinger. They want peace. Littlefinger isn't an invading warlord, a foreigner, incestuous, insane or have insanity in his genetics, wrapped up with magic, bringing hordes of rampaging barbarians and monsters to Westeros, worshipping weird gods, etc. He's a smart guy who just wants to be in charge. Once there, there is no reason to think he would be a bad ruler. He's rational.
He's an amoral manipulative egomaniac who is really just in it for the power and doesn't particularly care about the good of the kingdom. I don't think that's what Varys wants.

Also: I know Dany has three dragons and a huge army/fleet but from what we've seen in the books and show, she's more the type of invading force that sieges a town/city until the people are ready to negotiate and only shows force when it's absolutely necessary to make a point. She's not going to raze Westeros to the ground.

duckroll

The Iron Islands are not one of the seven kingdoms. The seven kingdoms is an antiquited term from way back when it was unified. The Iron Islands only bent the knee after Robert's Rebellion.

Joni

Do the Reach, the Stormlands, the Westerlands and the Vale have a king? No? Then they're not kingdoms.
Yes. It is Cersei at the moment. There are seven kingdoms that were at the start of the show ruled by one king. Like how australia has a Queen.

Sean C

Yes. It is Cersei at the moment. There are seven kingdoms that were at the start of the show ruled by one king. Like how australia has a Queen.
The Vale has either declared for Jon or is claiming independence -- it's not really clear. But they aren't sworn to Cersei. The Reach has declared for Daenerys. Cersei's rule encompasses the Westerlands, King's Landing itself, and maybe the Stormlands.

So, who kills Cersei?

1. Jaime
2. Tyrion, after Cersei kills Jamie
3. Arya
4. Sansa
5. Jon
6. Dany
7. Other

My money's on either Arya or Tyrion. Having Jaime kill her to save the city from burning/falling is just lazy so I don't think that'll be the case.

Brakke

Banned
The Iron Islands are not one of the seven kingdoms. The seven kingdoms is an antiquited term from way back when it was unified. The Iron Islands only bent the knee after Robert's Rebellion.

That's not true either. Aegon conquered the Iron Islands, too. They had their little rebellion that landed Theon in Stark custody after Robert's Rebellion... but they were subjects of the Iron Throne for two hundred-odd years at that point.

This fictional history is so complicated lol.

Qurupeke

So Cersei gonna marry Euron for some extra firepower or who? She won't stand a chance otherwise.

Yeah, I'm actually curious about Cersei. Her current power is the Lannister army, the Kingsguard and what else? The remaining Freys? And considering how she rose on power, it's clear she has enemies everywhere. Meanwhile, the Dany Alliance is beyond overpowered.

Momentary

Banned
I don't think Jon is going to remain "King of the North." He's got more important shit to do. I'm sure something is going to happen with that position later on. Either Arya or Sansa will take control.

I hope Littlefinger disappears soon so Sansa doesn't play into his hands.

fanboi

Banned
Also, you remember that doggy style scene from S1 with Danerys and Kal Drogo?

Game of Thrones is full of sex scenes, leaving a huge scope for the actors to run into awkward situations. Male actors use modesty sock (popularly known as cock sock) to cover their privates while filming sex scenes. In one of the sex scenes, Jason Momoa used a fluffy pink sock instead of regular one which made Clarke laugh hysterically. "It's huge, and it's pink, and I don't know what to do," she said on The Graham Norton Show.

Awkward!

duckroll

That's not true either. Aegon conquered the Iron Islands, too. They had their little rebellion that landed Theon in Stark custody after Robert's Rebellion... but they were subjects of the Iron Throne for two hundred-odd years at that point.

This fictional history is so complicated lol.

Huh, how does a viking culture supporting raping and reaving continue to exist for 200 years as part of a civilized kingdom with different laws and religion?

Kusagari

Why were the Sparrow's so insistent on keeping Marge inside anyway?

The High Sparrow didn't exactly command them to keep her there. He was just wandering around aimlessly.

Brakke

Banned
Yo did Littlefinger ever once set foot in Harrenhal after being made its Lord? Doesn't he have some silly title like Warden of the Riverlands or somesuch?

Huh, how does a viking culture supporting raping and reaving continue to exist for 200 years as part of a civilized kingdom with different laws and religion?

I always took them as like a low-level insurgency. Any time they organized fleets bigger than one or two longships -- bigger than the Greyjoy Lord could disavow -- they got stomped on. But otherwise, "That wasn't a Greyjoy raid! Those are just criminals! Every region produces criminals sometimes! We will *definitely* investigate this and hang the criminals, thanks for alerting us, Mr. Mainland Maester."

He's an amoral manipulative egomaniac who is really just in it for the power and doesn't particularly care about the good of the kingdom. I don't think that's what Varys wants.

Also: I know Dany has three dragons and a huge army/fleet but from what we've seen in the books and show, she's more the type of invading force that sieges a town/city until the people are ready to negotiate and only shows force when it's absolutely necessary to make a point. She's not going to raze Westeros to the ground.

But what are Dany's (or Aegon's) motivations? They didn't decide to gather enormous armies of mercenaries and barbarians and put together fleets to invade Westeros because they are concerned the commoners are suffering under the various Westerosi contenders.

And I doubt the Dothraki are going to change their ways overnight and suddenly not rape and pillage when they conquer. They're all going to become sheep herders? Both those contenders are bringing in enormous armies of sellswords and others who take rape and pillage as a matter of course, and have little to no concept of Westerosi culture. How is either of those better than a guy who just wants to be powerful and profitable while using the existing system?

Joni

The Vale has either declared for Jon or is claiming independence -- it's not really clear. But they aren't sworn to Cersei. The Reach has declared for Daenerys. Cersei's rule encompasses the Westerlands, King's Landing itself, and maybe the Stormlands.
There are indeed some unclear who is Queen where but they all have one.

Speevy

Banned
Why were the Sparrow's so insistent on keeping Marge inside anyway?

The High Sparrow didn't exactly command them to keep her there. He was just wandering around aimlessly.

Because it was a sacred trial before the gods.

It fit with the whole idea of the sparrows not being afraid of anything. It was weirder that Margaery would have such suspicions without a script in front of her, but I totally buy the High Sparrow telling everyone to be calm.

If Margaery had been allowed to leave, dozens of others would have followed, which would have probably delayed the trial.

I think the range of the blast would have killed most of them anyway.

NoTacos

Littlefinger suffers from the same disadvantage as Madara did in the early days of Konoha (RE:Naruto), he's a man of shadows. He has no public presence, and the people are hesitant to acknowledge him as a worthy ruler because he keeps to said shadows.

Compare that to Jon Snow, who will literally have legends written about him as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, and a man who came back from the dead, and a warrior who charged head on into battle alone against unimaginable odds, walking away victorious in the end (regardless of circumstance).

Jon Snow is marketable as a ruler, his track record speaks for itself and the North acknowledges that. They don't want a guy who will more than likely manipulate them for personal gain.

mantidor

I was actually really expecting Sansa to kill Littlefinger, when the preview showed her in the weirwood, I imagined Bran had whispered to her that Littlefinger was the one that betrayed her father or something.

Marz

Yeah, I'm actually curious about Cersei. Her current power is the Lannister army, the Kingsguard and what else? The remaining Freys? And considering how she rose on power, it's clear she has enemies everywhere. Meanwhile, the Dany Alliance is beyond overpowered.

Tommen is technically a Baratheon in the eyes of Westeros so they could have the power of the Stormlands.

Speevy

Banned
I was actually really expecting Sansa to kill Littlefinger, when the preview showed her in the weirwood, I imagined Bran had whispered to her that Littlefinger was the one that betrayed her father or something.

Nah, Littlefinger's death is endgame stuff. He has to really step in the shit for that kind of scene.

nOoblet16

It's amazing how much of this was predicted and turned out to be true. Would you say it's due to good writing by GRRM that hinted at these things throughout the series ?

Also can a (presumed) bastard be legitimised like this according the lore ?

Finally wouldn't Jon have a higher claim to the throne considering he is Rhaegar's firstborn while Danny is Rhaegar's sister? Or does the line of succession not matter if the throne is achieved through conquest, but even in that case if the conquest is a joint one from both Danny and Jon then what?

The foreshadowing to her needing to make an alliance through marriage leads me to think she won't have to ask Jon anything, because he'll be her King and she'll be his Queen. Sansa will probably remain at Winterfell as Wardenese of the north (Unless Bran decides he can be the tree master at home and not in a cave) and Jon will ride south with Dany and Tyrion to claim her throne. The Dragon has three heads and all that.
Who gets the iron throne between those two then ? :p
And Jon would be Danny's nephew no?

Kallor

I can't see them being much use with Arya taking out the top players. The rest will be fighting for control. There's a shit ton of frey children lol.

NoTacos

Nah, Littlefinger's death is endgame stuff. He has to really step in the shit for that kind of scene.
If he rises against Jon (as naive as he may be), it will be the end of Littlefinger.

As noble as LF may seem, he still craves power. On top of that, he shows little to no true allegiance to any house unless it makes him stronger. Yes, he's useful, but he's also a HUGE liability for anyone that depends on him.

Kusagari

Varys has already shat on the idea of Littlefinger ruling before. Varys wants someone who actually cares about the realm. Littlefinger cares about no one but himself.

Marz

Finally wouldn't Jon have a higher claim to the throne considering he is Rhaegar's firstborn while Danny is Rhaegar's sister? Or does the line of succession not matter if the throne is achieved through conquest, but even in that case if the conquest is a joint one from both Danny and Jon then what?

How on earth does Jon find out about his parentage? We saw it through Brans visions. If Bran tells him then what? People just take his word for it?

Littlefinger suffers from the same disadvantage as Madara did in the early days of Konoha (RE:Naruto), he's a man of shadows. He has no public presence, and the people are hesitant to acknowledge him as a worthy ruler because he keeps to said shadows.

Compare that to Jon Snow, who will literally have legends written about him as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, and a man who came back from the dead, and a warrior who charged head on into battle alone against unimaginable odds, walking away victorious in the end (regardless of circumstance).

Jon Snow is marketable as a ruler, his track record speaks for itself and the North acknowledges that. They don't want a guy who will more than likely manipulate them for personal gain.

Jon Snow is marketable for those reasons, but coming back from the dead -- as part of some kind of deal with foreign gods -- is probably not a selling point to suspicous medieval folk.

Also, I don't think Jon will ultimately be the ruler. I think he's going to die.

So Cersei gonna marry Euron for some extra firepower or who? She won't stand a chance otherwise.

No one does. It's like Dany just entered some playstation cheat codes, wonder how she's going to fuck-up this auto-win. She's going to Westeros with Unsullied, Dothraki, Greyjoys, Martells, Tyrells, the counsel of Varys and Tyrion and 3 large dragons.

Speevy

Banned
I want to commend the writers for generally trying to make amends for last season with some bold choices for storylines.

You're still shit writers, but you know what the fans want to see.

Just keep the production budget high and hire Sapochnik for the last few, at least.

nOoblet16

How on earth does Jon find out about his parentage? We saw it through Brans visions. If Bran tells him then what? People just take his word for it?
Varys can run a DNA test. Ned Stark found out about Cersei and Jaime through his CSI investigation and if it wasn't for the fact that he got betrayed he'd have exposed then once people take other people's word in this world.

But really Bran being the three eyed raven he can show it, dude has magic.

It has to be found out because if it doesn't affect the story at all then there wasn't much need to dwell into his parentage, afterall people were happy with just theories so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom